Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SKRt

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2021
Given what someone else found that the image when taken in Halide looks MUCH better, it seems positive that this isn't a hardware issue, it is something Apple can patch with a software update in the near future.
You refer to nekofever? He uses halide to force the use of a specific lens (which can btw also achieved in the standard app by using portrait mode). But this is not the issue here because the 13 pro used the 26mm equivalent in this case as intended.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
You refer to nekofever? He uses halide to force the use of a specific lens (which can btw also achieved in the standard app by using portrait mode). But this is not the issue here because the 13 pro used the 26mm equivalent in this case as intended.
Hmm, yeah that is what I was referring to- but thanks for the clarification. Could it still be a problem with Apple's processing of the images, from any lenses- vs actually being a hardware problem?

What a mess if all of us end up with devices that ultimately have flawed hardware and eventually get recalled for replacement.

SKRt

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2021
Hmm, yeah that is what I was referring to- but thanks for the clarification. Could it still be a problem with Apple's processing of the images, from any lenses- vs actually being a hardware problem?

What a mess if all of us end up with devices that ultimately have flawed hardware and eventually get recalled for replacement.
It could be software-related but I don’t want to bet my money on it or on the vague option Apple might tackle this problem in the future. My guess is a faulty sensor shift but even if so, I don’t believe they will recall the 13 Pros. Therefore too many customers won’t notice these issues.
And as much as I love the 13 pro’s form factor, the display and the macro option my 13 Pro will go back.

Reactions: cabragg

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
It could be software-related but I don’t want to bet my money on it or on the vague option Apple might tackle this problem in the future. My guess is a faulty sensor shift but even if so, I don’t believe they will recall the 13 Pros. Therefore too many customers won’t notice these issues.
And as much as I love the 13 pro’s form factor, the display and the macro option my 13 Pro will go back.
I have a 13 Pro arriving Monday. I'll definitely be testing the hell out of the camera during my 14 day return period (sucks, though- it's through a carrier, so if I do return there will be a $35 restocking fee) to ensure it is OK. Part of the reason I bought the pro (coming from a 12 Mini) was for the camera upgrade and actually having the tele lens and the new macro feature- what a let down if these end up being of poor quality.

Oddly, camera reviews on this model seem to rave about the image quality- so it makes me hope this is either a bad batch of units or something else more acute.

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
Something weird I noticed today is that the camera makes “static” sounds (almost like coil whine).
Noticed it I a quite environment and if I put the cameras against my ear I can hear it. I wonder if it actually could be the sensor not working properly.

Klschmann

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2020
Washington, DC
I've been pleased with my pics so far (moving from an XS) but does anyone else have a slight stutter when viewing newly captured photos on their 13 Pro? It's almost as if whatever computational things going on don't finalize until not only after you take the pic but after you view it as well?

Seeing this in iCloud pics on my new phone - haven't ever seen this before. Trying to hopefully rule out a lemon device (I am also seeing other weird flickering so I'm not sure if it's the screen or the software).

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
So I think it's 100% a software issue, with the native camera app being far too aggressive in choosing the wide lens and digitally cropping.

what if you put masking tape over the wide lens to "trick" the phone's native camera app? I just returned my 13 Pro Max due the PWM causing me severe headaches, so I can't test this crazy theory of mine...

thanks!

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
what if you put masking tape over the wide lens to "trick" the phone's native camera app? I just returned my 13 Pro Max due the PWM causing me severe headaches, so I can't test this crazy theory of mine...

thanks!
Ive tried covering the wide lens with my finger when ive selected the 3x zoom in light conditions not deemed good enough for the telephoto but it doesnt force it to switch

dcdandan

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2015
I have just returned mine today. The same experience with the Apple Store and the premium reseller from my country. They said that they did not receive any reports about this issue until now. During the weekend I took photos with the phone to see if the problem persists and I have compared it with my 3 year old phone a Huawei P20Pro and in every occasion, except the portrait mode, the P20 Pro produced better looking photos, better white balance, better contrast, while the 13PM had mushy colors and sort of a grain overlayed. I also checked the GSMarena review especially the Photo compare tool where you can check to make an opinion for yourself. I am really sorry because otherwise the phone is awesome, especially the latest iOS. Good luck with your devices and I hope this is going to be sorted out.
Yes. iPhone 13 pro max seem to product worse photos than many older phones from apple itself and other brands

I am surprised not many ppl report it
I feel apple now has put too much into processing

Reactions: Tikatika

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I'm trying to understand if it happens to everyone or not. Because in the first case is clearly a bug (and I hope it will be fixed) but in the second case it's a problem with our iPhone specifically.
But I don't remember to see any articles or video about this, no one is talking about it so I have to suppose that it's only a problem in a few models maybe
It’s only happened to me a few times in a specific setting to light up a subject with an extremely bright background like a sunset. I just assumed it was over compensating. Apart from that my photos have been pretty great. I’m loving the camera mostly.

dcdandan

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2015
having this same problem. I am a glass artist and use my iphone to take pictures of my work. I have been having to use my old 11 pro for pics because the results from this iphone 13 pro are complete crap. Over sharpening, white balance off, blacks faded. Is is very strange..as im taking the photos, they look great in the preview, then the final saved photo looks like complete crap. This needs to be fixed...
Yes
It used to be with apple that what u see is what u get and that is what they are famous for and why they were better than android
But now preview looks great but end results do not look like the preview at all

A Happening in Hades

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
I‘ve had an original SE, an X, and an 11 Pro Max - and looking back through my photo album, I think the SE took the best shots…it took great photos!

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
I‘ve had an original SE, an X, and an 11 Pro Max - and looking back through my photo album, I think the SE took the best shots…it took great photos!
That is taking it to extremes. The original SE took very bad pictures compared to XS for example. All the new models, until now, brought an obvious improvement in pictures quality. 13 Pro for the moment is the exception, which is funny as Apple is marketing this model as the biggest improvement in cameras in an iPhone.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Don’t really take much photos but would like to contribute to this discussion. I took the opportunity to take some shots from the last 5 generation of iPhones that I currently have access to. Hopefully it helps if you are looking to buy a new iPhone from the 13 series.

The iPhones in order are, 13 Pro Max, 12, 11, XR and finally 8 Plus.

9925545bd6932d590896595fe6549ec1.jpg

79713f9305a9d473ea66f5535953930b.jpg

303ed875a580f1c21703495e6cd9a642.jpg

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
ProRaw on iPhone 13 Pro Max, taken slightly later then the rest. Sky was getting dark as it was about to rain.

ae326ee191622627f0b79ef342f9ee20.dng

1ef2c6166a0c60fa6d6e03f811e79ce4.dng

3ee5eb0bf3a43a5fcde67533d6e160bb.dng

Last edited:

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
This photos were taken within a short span of time(except for the ProRaw shots), so it should be able to give us an idea how the photos defer with Apple’s current processing flavour. The iPhone 13 Pro Max is running iOS 15.0.2. The rest are on iOS 14.8.

Honestly I do prefer the shots taken from the iPhone 13 Pro Max, especially the ProRaw shots.
Having said that, these are tiny cameras on the back of our phones, and I could be happy with the photos from the iPhone 8 Plus. The difference to my untrained eyes are relatively small.

Last edited:

Ruggy

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2017
I get it. Some of the images on this thread do look pretty awful but with a bit of luck it's post processing and it will be fixed. I have one on order so not feeling happy at the moment.
Has anyone tried with a 3rd party app like ProCamera to see if they get different results?
Mine will arrive 2 weeks then I'll be able give it a go.
Sorry for you all.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I get it. Some of the images on this thread do look pretty awful but with a bit of luck it's post processing and it will be fixed. I have one on order so not feeling happy at the moment.
Has anyone tried with a 3rd party app like ProCamera to see if they get different results?
Mine will arrive 2 weeks then I'll be able give it a go.
Sorry for you all.

Even with Halide they’re still not as good as they should be.

Reactions: cabragg

A Happening in Hades

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
That is taking it to extremes. The original SE took very bad pictures compared to XS for example. All the new models, until now, brought an obvious improvement in pictures quality. 13 Pro for the moment is the exception, which is funny as Apple is marketing this model as the biggest improvement in cameras in an iPhone.
Here is a photo I took in October 2016 with my old iPhone SE. It’s an indoor shot at the Tokyo Museum using a flash. Sure there wasn’t much fancy pants software enhancement and the zoom was limited to say the least but it was very much WYSIWYG and the photos were natural, real:

Attachments

• 522A1C67-1E97-4B92-AE75-0D8F4C3E3513.jpeg
    522A1C67-1E97-4B92-AE75-0D8F4C3E3513.jpeg
    505.4 KB · Views: 187
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.