Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Honestly, no and that's why it's so aggravating. I originally bought it pre-ProRAW because I wanted RAW ability and occasionally for the manual control ability, but for the price? No.

This seems like such an easy and logical fix and I'm sure there's some kind of reasoning behind why Apple did it. But, (to me) this seems like Apple decided that a majority of people don't know how to properly use the 3x camera therefore this is how they'll do it. As for the rest of the processing? Again, I think it's Apple assuming that a vast majority of the time, people will be viewing these photos on screen and in social media apps and most won't be zooming in at any great detail to see the smudgy mess they actually are.

I agree, I think Apple massively underestimated how closely people will be inspecting photos from the new devices.

Just pray it’s sorted in software if not, there’ll be a lot of skeptics about come the next iPhone launch.

Reactions: jm31828

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Again, I think it's Apple assuming that a vast majority of the time, people will be viewing these photos on screen and in social media apps and most won't be zooming in at any great detail to see the smudgy mess they actually are.
Unfortunately, this seem to be the case.

Case in point, this one uploaded to the iPhone 13 Pro Pictures thread:

23EC6B93-A073-461F-B4A8-349AAEB8FEF3.jpeg

Rasputin78

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
I agree, I think Apple massively underestimated how closely people will be inspecting photos from the new devices.

Just pray it’s sorted in software if not, there’ll be a lot of skeptics about come the next iPhone launch.
The good news is, I do believe this is 100% correctable with software, the hardware is there and the RAW results and HEIC's from Halide show it. It's just a combination of letting folks shoot with the actual camera module they think they are and tweaking the DNF/sharpening. Small sensors all have flaws and limitations, but running it through processing akin to Remini every time is over the top.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
Honestly, no and that's why it's so aggravating. I originally bought it pre-ProRAW because I wanted RAW ability and occasionally for the manual control ability, but for the price? No.

This seems like such an easy and logical fix and I'm sure there's some kind of reasoning behind why Apple did it. But, (to me) this seems like Apple decided that a majority of people don't know how to properly use the 3x camera therefore this is how they'll do it. As for the rest of the processing? Again, I think it's Apple assuming that a vast majority of the time, people will be viewing these photos on screen and in social media apps and most won't be zooming in at any great detail to see the smudgy mess they actually are.
It's insane to me that you pay extra for the Telephoto lens and Apple's camera app doesn't even use it for what it's meant for.

Reactions: arkitect and pmac99

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021

I suspected as much and tested proraw vs jpg and while it seems like there are differences they are not drastic like I have on my dslr. I for one was not 100% buying the 13pm for the telephoto and knew it would be my least used. But for what I have seen from my testing the 3x does decent in portrait mode. Outside of that pretty much rubbish.

So is there a point to really use proraw? I am not worried about the file size with the 512gb. The biggest reason I got the PM was the display and battery. Yes the cameras are good but only for a camera phone and their convenience factor.

Rasputin78

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
It's insane to me that you pay extra for the Telephoto lens and Apple's camera app doesn't even use it for what it's meant for.
Hopefully Apple takes a cue from Samsung and listens to the feedback. My wife got an S21 Ultra at the beginning of the year and the cameras were hot garbage (over-saturated, over-sharpened, little usability latitude). After months of software updates on that phone, the cameras are absolutely stunning. With that and the Pixel 6 looming, Apple better be listening. But, it seems apparent that Apple seems to be putting most of the effort into video, which has been and still is the class leader with no danger of losing that title anytime soon - but the snapshot crown has left the building.

Rasputin78

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
I suspected as much and tested proraw vs jpg and while it seems like there are differences they are not drastic like I have on my dslr. I for one was not 100% buying the 13pm for the telephoto and knew it would be my least used. But for what I have seen from my testing the 3x does decent in portrait mode. Outside of that pretty much rubbish.

So is there a point to really use proraw? I am not worried about the file size with the 512gb. The biggest reason I got the PM was the display and battery. Yes the cameras are good but only for a camera phone and their convenience factor.
ProRAW is not "true" RAW. It still will have some of Apple's baked in enhancements, but it at least gives you some latitude for adjustments that just aren't feasible for compressed JPEGs and HEICs, which is why over-processing makes the situation much worse. You can add sharpening and DNF if needed after the fact, but if the JPEG or HEIC has all of the over-processing already baked in, you're cooked. That's why pure RAW DNGs are desirable for some because they have ultimate control. As great as that is, 99% of people using iPhones don't want to do that.

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
ProRAW is not "true" RAW. It still will have some of Apple's baked in enhancements, but it at least gives you some latitude for adjustments that just aren't feasible for compressed JPEGs and HEICs, which is why over-processing makes the situation much worse. You can add sharpening and DNF if needed after the fact, but if the JPEG or HEIC has all of the over-processing already baked in, you're cooked. That's why pure RAW DNGs are desirable for some because they have ultimate control. As great as that is, 99% of people using iPhones don't want to do that.
Thanks and agree. Looks like I will be shooting in gimped raw just so I can have “some” control if needed.

Still getting used to night mode and while it works pretty good it is so odd holding camera still vs flash. In a way works brilliantly.

The camera settings are not optimal to keep last photo settings, especially the exposure one that keeps your last setting. I turned it off as I would rather adjust in post vs changing it every time on the phone. Without a light meter it seems rather dumb to even have it as a setting. I sure wish I also did not have to press the down arrow in top all the time to get to settings.

Last edited:

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington

Hope so- or some of us will be insisting on being able to return or replace our devices- no way people will pay what these cost and just deal with it going forward if indeed this is a hardware issue.

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
What will it take for Apple to fix the processing?
Do we have to deal with this for a year?
My photos look like Bob Ross painted them.
Smudged.
No detail.
So bad.
Will MacRumors make a post about it?

I see such mundane things get their own articles. This has to be big enough to get Apples attention.

Attachments

• 5EA21E08-257C-41EB-9C18-E61D2B0CD5FF.jpeg
    5EA21E08-257C-41EB-9C18-E61D2B0CD5FF.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 225
Reactions: pmac99 and javisan

Rasputin78

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
Dammm was just about to ask if there was any improvement. Read the reviews of the pixel 6, wasn’t impressed with any of it apart from the magic eraser
I suspect this is going to be the new normal as almost all the major players are gravitating towards it. Apple, Google, Samsung (to a lesser extent) and the other big players are going to process to pop for Instagram. It's a shame about the Pixel, I would've bet the farm that their amazing software algorithms + better hardware was going to push them way out in front.

Unfortunately, as long as phones are at the disadvantage of using these tiny sensors, this is going to be the case because outside of daylight, the cameras need a lot of hocus pocus to make the images even remotely usable. The sensors are just too small and the angle manufacturers are taking with making these gigantic 100 and 200MP sensors and binning them into 12MP with inflated pixel sizes is not the answer. Put photos up side-by-side of a binned 108MP shot from a S21U and a 20MP shot from a RX100 with a 1" sensor and the RX100 absolutely obliterates it. Luckily, I don't think we're far away from the 1" sensor in the smartphone, Sony just (sort-of) did it.

At the end of the day, I am mostly happy with what Apple is doing. If they just tone down their cartoonish processing, allow more user control over it and (hopefully) slap on a true 5x or 10x periscope lens in the near future, I would never have a wandering eye.

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
Since it seems not everyone is experiencing the issue, I guess Apple wont confirm it and sites such as Macrumors might not even post about it. Hopefully Apple will fix it in an update, along with 3x not always choosing telephoto lens and HDR-issues.

BreakingKayfabe

Suspended
Oct 22, 2020
Southern Cal
Smudged.
No detail.
So bad.

I see such mundane things get their own articles. This has to be big enough to get Apples attention.
How many exchanges have you gone through on your device?

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Smudged.
No detail.
So bad.

And that is supposed to be a crop of the original image? Taken with which camera? Front, rear, if rear, which one?

Please paste some more non-cropped, non-zoomed full images to compare.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Almost every iPhone reviewer is an Apple shill waiting to get their next free demo unit to promote

Except for those who rant against Apple products to gain similar clicks. The world’s just black and white for some…

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Post #1133 in

Pictures Taken with the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max Photos up Thread​

is a perfect example of everything wrong with this iPhone. Guess is bad camera year, like the bad modem year on the XS.

Reactions: cabragg

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Isn't this deep fusion doing its thing and that's why you see the photo one way for like half a second and then deep fusion applies its adjustment?

Edit: I am not defending it, I'm just saying I think this is what people are seeing. I could be wrong though.
Agreed. The processing delay has been there for me all through last year on my 12 PM so that's nothing new. I think people are more sensitive to it because of the other changes Apple has made this year. There's definitely more going on in the background with the 13 series and we have found a small subset of users who don't like the results.

Turning OFF HEIC will probably offer some relief and maybe the options for Apple ProRAW & ProRes (if you are unhappy with video capture.) Reduce what the phone is doing in the background (or saving memory to be able to do if you should choose)

In the end, there are undoubtedly additional software tweaks that Apple can make to their algorithms because that is where it all lies. Make the feedback submissions. Going into a store probably won't do any good because what you are expressing are preferences to how you'd like the photos to look. The Genius Bar associate may not have the same likes/dislikes as you. For example... I didn't see any issue with the pictures posted earlier of someone's Pug. Just looked like one had bokeh and the other was using multiple focus points to keep more of image in sharper focus as opposed to just the Pug's face area.

just my 4 & a half cents (2 for the opinion and another 2 1/2 for rising inflation ?)

Reactions: sammjordan and !!!

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Post #1133 in

Pictures Taken with the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max Photos up Thread​

is a perfect example of everything wrong with this iPhone. Guess is bad camera year, like the bad modem year on the XS.
I don't see anything wrong the photos in post #1133. I've seen worse, so what am I missing?

Came across post #1097, and that one looks awful. It looks like water color painting or heavily photoshopped with effects...the leaves and grass, the bark on the tree, the deer, and the fence in the background. Yet, quite a few people liked it and nobody commented about it. I'd say this is happening quite a bit and most people just aren't noticing or care.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I don't see anything wrong the photos in post #1133. I've seen worse, so what am I missing?

Came across post #1097, and that one looks awful. It looks like water color painting or heavily photoshopped with effects...the leaves and grass, the bark on the tree, the deer, and the fence in the background. Yet, quite a few people liked it and nobody commented about it. I'd say this is happening quite a bit and most people just aren't noticing or care.
There are 2 main issues noticed so far, one is the water color effect that you saw on #1097 and that you can also see in the second squirrel in post #1024 or the in-plane picture in the post #951.
That seems to be a software bug of iOS choosing the wrong lens. We had hope that it would fixed sometime.

The other issue is the blurry, out of focus, wrong colors results (mainly from the wide camera) in circumstances that you would expect an infinite focus (outdoor, daylight pictures). Indoor, low light, close-ups seems to be performing well.

Like in the post #1133:

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 13.04.26.png

If you have other iPhone than the 13, you can simply try this in a park near you. In no way the grass that's right in front of the iPhone could be so blurred. The poster's text also blurred. Maybe 30 foot from the camera?

Now, iPhone 6S taken from inside a moving car...you can zoom and read considerably well the brand of the GPS antennas ?‍♂️

2016 Aug 18 - 56.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.