Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobertoDLV

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2021
I don't know if it's already been said but it's not just the case for the 13 Pro model.
Here are 2 photos taken with the iPhone 12, and the 13 mini, both having that weird "painting filter" all over :

Attachments

• iPhone12.JPG
    iPhone12.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 1,033
  • tempImageALzulA.png
    tempImageALzulA.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,178
Last edited:

al0kz

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
I don't know if it's already been said but it's not just the case for the 13 Pro model.
Here are 2 photos taken with the iPhone 12, and the 13 mini, both having that weird "painting filter" all over :
Theres a variety of issues here. With yours specifically, its part processing but also Apple’s insistence on using a digital crop of the 1x lens vs the telephoto on any shot with less than perfect lighting when you zoom in (this cannot be fixed on the 12/13 normal/mini as they lack a Tele lens)

The other, more prevalent issue is the aggressive noise reduction that Apple’s ISP is doing in post processing. The consequence of this is a photo that has drastically lower sharpness and detail. This is where the “oil painting” effect occurs

Reactions: RRC and RobertoDLV

corebit

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
I was just on the phone with Apple senior advisor and we did screen sharing on my iPhone 13 Pro Max. He was able to see that the pictures on the 13 Pro Max are over processed and look like water paintings and many times miss-focus. 3x telephoto portrait pictures are unusable and blurry. Constant switching between the sensors even though I want the 3x for example. This is my 3rd iphone 13 Pro Max and the exact same issues are present. Also, Apple RAW photos still have that water painting effect. Perhaps they're using plastic lens elements?:oops:

I will return this phone as well and wait few months and see if they've fixed the issues. This is absurd and Apple needs to address this ASAP. My XS Max produces amazing and natural looking pictures.

al0kz

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
I was just on the phone with Apple senior advisor and we did screen sharing on my iPhone 13 Pro Max. He was able to see that the pictures on the 13 Pro Max are over processed and look like water paintings and many times miss-focus. 3x telephoto portrait pictures are unusable and blurry. Constant switching between the sensors even though I want the 3x for example. This is my 3rd iphone 13 Pro Max and the exact same issues are present. Also, Apple RAW photos still have that water painting effect. Perhaps they're using plastic lens elements?:oops:

I will return this phone as well and wait few months and see if they've fixed the issues. This is absurd and Apple needs to address this ASAP. My XS Max produces amazing and natural looking pictures.
I don’t believe its a hardware issue (its Apple‘s processing algorithm), so swapping out your phone isn’t going to do much.

Also, I believe most if not all smartphone manufacturers use plastic lens elements. The new Sony Xperia Pro-I seems to be the first smartphone to use glass.

corebit

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
I don’t believe its a hardware issue (its Apple‘s processing algorithm), so swapping out your phone isn’t going to do much.

Also, I believe most if not all smartphone manufacturers use plastic lens elements. The new Sony Xperia Pro-I seems to be the first smartphone to use glass.

I understand, but I don't want to hold on to a phone that could have hardware/software issues with the camera(s). I took over 1,300 portraits pictures with my XS Max since 2018 and never had these issues and all of the sudden, I have them. I've always thought the iPhone camera(s) was reliable, but after my experience with three different iPhones 13 Pro, I'm questioning it.

Reactions: roma_termini

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
Turn OFF - macro, lens correction and faster shooting. Definitely better results !

Doesn’t seem to make any difference for my photos. Do you have any comparison shoots?

I understand, but I don't want to hold on to a phone that could have hardware/software issues with the camera(s). I took over 1,300 portraits pictures with my XS Max since 2018 and never had these issues and all of the sudden, I have them. I've always thought the iPhone camera(s) was reliable, but after my experience with three different iPhones 13 Pro, I'm questioning it.

I completely understand. Did Apple support say anything about it or if other had reported similar issues?
It’s really weird that it doesn’t seem to on all devices but can’t keep exchanging devices until it’s jackpot.

Rasputin78

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
Totally understandable. It’s not a hardware issue, but your reluctance is 100% valid with any faith that Apple will fix it anytime soon. They’re aware of the issue, but in true Apple fashion I’m almost certain if a correction is to be made (emphasize “if”), it won’t be until IOS 16 and iPhone 14. Then they can just roll it out as a new, revolutionary version of Smart HDR. This is where Apple’s stubbornness is really beginning to be an issue…Outside of something critical like security, even if they know they screwed up somewhere, they package all those fixes into new phone and IOS generation releases. That way they market it as an “upgrade.” Sadly, many of their Android competitors don’t have that mindset and release pretty timely patches to fix issues like this, which is why a phone like the Pixel is a couple patches away of likely being pretty amazing and what Samsung did this year with the S21U with incremental updates.

pmac99

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2020
Toronto, ON, CA
04A28A14-C027-4260-A146-60BE2409FFCB.jpeg

Would this be considered a bad photo? Personally, not a fan.. this is using the 13 Pro telephoto lens on iOS 15.1 (rich contrast style)

jhoff8600

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
So, there's clearly a problem with the photos on my iPhone 13 pro. It's not only me because yesterday I saw a topic here with people reporting the same thing.

Basically every single photo I take is automatically modified with evident layers of sharpness, excessive contrast and other things.
It's not one of the profile, it's not the normal post-processing of the phone. You know when in photoshop you put "sharpness" at 100 and everything look weird? Same thing.
And when I open a photo on the photo app at the beginning, for. fraction of second, I can see the normal photo with the normal colors. But after that second all the "modifications" pop up.
It happens on video too, it's even more evident because on the gallery you can see the icon of the video with the normal colors, only when you open it the different colors appear like a quick bad photoshop fix.

I tried everything and there no way to avoid this.

Another details, if I shoot a raw photo the preview is the same but when I open it to change it I finally see the "normal" version. But obviolsy I can't shoot only raw and I don't have this option with video.

This is the topic where people is reporting the same thing

They think it's a side effect of a bad HDR implementation but for me is not that, the modification that the software apply are several and not only limited to exposure.

Edit: I just want to add. I had iPhones for years. I'm not confusing this with some "normal" post processing. The photos are really bad, it's basically impossibile to obtain a normal face without the "bad photoshop" effect.this

This leads me to two questions:

1. Do you you have any filters turned on, such as Vivid? Even if your think they are not, you should check to make sure nothing has accidentally been turned on.

2. Could this simply be an issue with the scaling algorithm for displaying on your small screen? Do you get the same effects if you pinch and zoom in or crop? How about if viewed on a full screen computer or Mac?

jhoff8600

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
View attachment 1879888

Would this be considered a bad photo? Personally, not a fan.. this is using the 13 Pro telephoto lens on iOS 15.1 (rich contrast style)
Turn off rich contrast. there is enough post processing as it is. It is pretty in some way but definitely not natural. I almost always get best results shooting regular mode with no filters and then if necessary apply auto enhance.

jhoff8600

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
I took my iPhone 13 pro out on a long city trek and tried to take photos in various conditions. Macro photos are absolutely amazing. However something is really off with normal photos.. everything seems blurry .. there is no crisp clarity to almost anything I took a picture of... it sort of adds a watery layer to the image.

The macros are out of this world .. check the photo of the parrot.
Regular photos look water painted .. check the photo of the peigon

Seems the lens being used for regular photos is not the same quality as that of the iPhone 12 Pro.
Small telephoto lenses are notoriously bad at letting in light. There is a lot of "magic" going on to make them look good to account for shady scenes and handheld shots. Some of what is going on is the phone accelerating shutter speeds to account for subject movement and camera shake, so the camera takes an underexposed shot and then the "magic" tries to make it look bright and lively. Try a similar shot with a mono pod and see if it improves, especially with still subjects. some shots can only be take well via traditional exposure methods using very large lenses and sensors such as what is available with SLR cameras to gather and capture much more light.

pmac99

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2020
Toronto, ON, CA
Turn off rich contrast. there is enough post processing as it is. It is pretty in some way but definitely not natural. I almost always get best results shooting regular mode with no filters and then if necessary apply auto enhance.
Thanks! I gotta experiment a bit more with/without the photo styles

DcGamer05

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
Litchfield CT
Same issues things don’t focus right. Everything always seems just slightly out of focus. Some shots I can get but the camera does not want to refocus. Thought I was crazy. Hopefully they can fix this soon my 11 pro max always readjusted the lens and focus this phone seems ultra stubborn

Rasputin78

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
Yep, Halide guy is 100% spot on. There are two issues separate from one another at play here, both representative in this thread:

1) The shots posted by folks that appear out of focus (mainly in certain parts of the frame).
2) The smudgy, oil painting effect on photos

The first one is most likely due to simple hardware limitations. As phone sensors get larger and with wider apertures (f/1.5), you are going to get some natural blurring and bokeh effects in images, especially with improper focusing. These cameras are not going to behave like an SLR or P&S where you can adjust the aperture to the "sweet spot" like an f/8 or f/11 to eliminate it as the lenses are fixed aperture, not variable. The only solution to overcoming this is through AI and processing and THIS is where Apple can apply some tweaking and is likely why only chunks of photos are appearing this way, because their processing is simply missing things.

The second is Apple dumbing down their camera app to the masses. The "intelligent" control of lens switching vs upscaling so the average iPhone user doesn't have to think about it. While that's nice in theory, you can see the effect it has. Someone who *thinks* they are utilizing the 3x camera maybe in fact just upscaling a shot from the main sensor if Apple thinks the shot would be better served that way and that is what gives you the Bob Ross exhibit. It's ridiculous, because I cannot think of one single circumstance where anyone would prefer a 3x digital zoom vs a 3x optical zoom photo. They cannot use lighting as an excuse because BOTH the optical and digital zoom would be useless under poor lighting conditions. It's also not a situation where the main sensor is higher MP, which could potentially allow you to crop in and get better results if your optical zoom camera is of lower MP or narrower aperture.

artinadf

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2017
Every time I take a selfie it automatically flickers when viewing the image and turns it dark and drab. The only workaround I’ve found is take the photo in Raw. My 11 PM takes better photos. Hope Apple will update this soon.

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
Yep, Halide guy is 100% spot on. There are two issues separate from one another at play here, both representative in this thread:

1) The shots posted by folks that appear out of focus (mainly in certain parts of the frame).

The first one is most likely due to simple hardware limitations. As phone sensors get larger and with wider apertures (f/1.5), you are going to get some natural blurring and bokeh effects in images, especially with improper focusing. These cameras are not going to behave like an SLR or P&S where you can adjust the aperture to the "sweet spot" like an f/8 or f/11 to eliminate it as the lenses are fixed aperture, not variable. The only solution to overcoming this is through AI and processing and THIS is where Apple can apply some tweaking and is likely why only chunks of photos are appearing this way, because their processing is simply missing things.

The second is Apple dumbing down their camera app to the masses. The "intelligent" control of lens switching vs upscaling so the average iPhone user doesn't have to think about it. While that's nice in theory, you can see the effect it has. Someone who *thinks* they are utilizing the 3x camera maybe in fact just upscaling a shot from the main sensor if Apple thinks the shot would be better served that way and that is what gives you the Bob Ross exhibit. It's ridiculous, because I cannot think of one single circumstance where anyone would prefer a 3x digital zoom vs a 3x optical zoom photo. They cannot use lighting as an excuse because BOTH the optical and digital zoom would be useless under poor lighting conditions. It's also not a situation where the main sensor is higher MP, which could potentially allow you to crop in and get better results if your optical zoom camera is of lower MP or narrower aperture.
So to get around this I have tried using portrait and then raise the fstop to f-16 if I want to keep it all in focus. The lower fstops are way too soft for me. Not sure if this works but seems to keep the right lens or maybe I am fooling myself.

Personally I hate digital zoom and really refuse to use it. If I need more reach I bring my dslr or just deal with it.

Rasputin78

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
So to get around this I have tried using portrait and then raise the fstop to f-16 if I want to keep it all in focus. The lower fstops are way too soft for me. Not sure if this works but seems to keep the right lens or maybe I am fooling myself.

Personally I hate digital zoom and really refuse to use it. If I need more reach I bring my dslr or just deal with it.
Keep in mind, with portrait mode, that is an artificial f-stop. You are basically adjusting the fake bokeh the portrait mode is applying...You are still going to be at the limitations of the f-stop of the fixed lens you're using and depending on your focusing distance, you will get some natural blurring of parts of the subject.

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
Keep in mind, with portrait mode, that is an artificial f-stop. You are basically adjusting the fake bokeh the portrait mode is applying...You are still going to be at the limitations of the f-stop of the fixed lens you're using and depending on your focusing distance, you will get some natural blurring of parts of the subject.
Yes and I get that. I was mainly saying “potentially” if I use portrait in 3x to utilize the lens it could force this lens. At least my understanding. Outside of the “fake” bokeh effect which I find pretty hilarious vs shooting with a 85mm 1.4 as an example of my old d700.

Outside of using halide from my understanding I believe that is one of the ways to make sure it uses the right lens

Rasputin78

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
Yes and I get that. I was mainly saying “potentially” if I use portrait in 3x to utilize the lens it could force this lens. At least my understanding. Outside of the “fake” bokeh effect which I find pretty hilarious vs shooting with a 85mm 1.4 as an example of my old d700.

Outside of using halide from my understanding I believe that is one of the ways to make sure it uses the right lens
Yeah, not certain about that one and will have to experiment some more. But, it looks like the only certainty at the moment is with 3rd party apps like Halide, Procam, Moment, etc. I was playing around with Procam some more today because Halide doesn't allow for any kind of non-optical zooming. Needless to say, afterwards my optimism towards the quality of the sensors has gone up but the disappointment for Apple's processing is even higher. With Procam, you can digitally zoom off the 3x sensor, where any digital zoom off the native app is off the main wide sensor. I was able to push 7-8x digitally off the 3x camera and in daylight they're actually useable and look pretty decent. Pretty sad considering an almost 200mm equivalent digital zoom is more usable than ANY digital zoom at any length off the native app. You can also turn off all native HDR/Deep Fusion processing within Procam, but all the scenarios I tried were better with that left on.

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
Yeah, not certain about that one and will have to experiment some more. But, it looks like the only certainty at the moment is with 3rd party apps like Halide, Procam, Moment, etc. I was playing around with Procam some more today because Halide doesn't allow for any kind of non-optical zooming. Needless to say, afterwards my optimism towards the quality of the sensors has gone up but the disappointment for Apple's processing is even higher. With Procam, you can digitally zoom off the 3x sensor, where any digital zoom off the native app is off the main wide sensor. I was able to push 7-8x digitally off the 3x camera and in daylight they're actually useable and look pretty decent. Pretty sad considering an almost 200mm equivalent digital zoom is more usable than ANY digital zoom at any length off the native app. You can also turn off all native HDR/Deep Fusion processing within Procam, but all the scenarios I tried were better with that left on.
Interesting for sure.

al0kz

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013

Agreed, though on your second point its not just the Tele issue. The issue is prevalent on the 1x (26mm) lens too. Apple is definitely doing aggressive noise Reduction regardless of the lens being used and its causing a loss of detail and sharpness with images.

I did 2 identical shots in the HEIC format, one with Halide and the other with the stock app, same ISO and shutter speed (Live Photo was disabled). The photo shot with Halide had noticeably sharper text while the stock app produced blurred edges. Smart HDR is just too aggressive in my opinion.

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2014
I’ve also started noticing this issue. Strangely with my first 13 Pro I only remember being amazed at the photos. With this replacement model I’m noticing issues.. however looking back at photos I took with the first one it seems like some of those photos have the issue too, but I either didn’t notice them or something has changed in an iOS update since release

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.