Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I don’t see anything like this on my iPhone. I do use ProRAW all the time, no jpeg shots. I took this photo today using the 3x and I’m using the 13 pro max.

3B1F8A06-8088-40FF-AAE4-89F400312AAF.jpeg

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Yea I'm seeing this on Twitter as well, hopefully this gets sorted out

Hampering a guess, I am going to say this photo was likely taken with the wide camera, rather then the telephoto lens, if indeed it was zoomed into just 3x.

It could be that the iPhone defaulted to the wide camera due to the lighting condition.

This is not a new feature, it has been the standard implementation since the iPhone 7 Plus, which is the first iPhone with a telephoto lens.

To simulate this condition I set my iPhone 13 Pro Max to the wide camera, @ 2.9x zoom, in a moderately dark room. You will notice the water painting effect, loss of definition and blurring of text.

55ce87eef92cc22254e7db6c218445a8.jpg

712ad85f9f17fdd6d24df4ce02a9e7aa.png

This follow up shot is with the telephoto lens at 3x in the same moderately dark room. A shot that the last iPhone I had with a telephoto lens would have struggled with in spite of lower zoom range.

This is the furthest optical zoom that has been implemented on an iPhone.

Quite impressed with the telephoto capability actually, considering the lens has gotten darker with no improvements to sensor size.

575360246f23e08f8a7a3d71608f2673.jpg

6bf420014c7e42956c0c77d2b237f59f.png

Clearly the photo taken with the telephoto lens is more true to life and has more depth.

Both pictures were taken within seconds from each other using the native iOS camera app.

Last edited:

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
The water painting, low definition, lost of depth issues have always plagued the iPhone when it comes to digital zoom. More apparent in poor lighting conditions but also noticeable in brightly lit places.

Here is a picture I took months ago on at iPhone 12, was trying to capture the Gecko on the ground using digital zoom. It was a really bright day, sun was blazing.

While this shot was at maximum digital zoom of the iPhone 12 which is 132mm the distance is a far cry from the maximum digital zoom of an iPhone 13 Pro, which is at 406mm. There is a direct relation that can be established, the tighter the digital zoom, the more muddy the picture gets.

1805ae70a0cae16ab26ec3ed4fbb98a8.jpg

8f378a9daf576c7e07d44e1427225295.png

Last edited:

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
This thread, and these issues, above all else led me to hold onto my 11pm and wait for the 14pm.
I think this has been a topic every year, and I’m sure the 14 will have its own set of issues that will dissuade some people from upgrading. Even my XS has the watercolor effect in certain situations.

This thread got me looking at the 13 and 13P more closely, and I ended up going with the regular 13 and couldn’t be happier. I think the video below is a good watch. I almost fell into the marketing hype thinking that the 13P’s camera is sooo much better. Don’t get me wrong, it is better on paper and in some situations, but the differences between the two are so negligible it’s not worth the extra money for me to get the pro. Some of the pictures even look better on the regular 13.

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
I think this has been a topic every year, and I’m sure the 14 will have its own set of issues that will dissuade some people from upgrading. Even my XS has the watercolor effect in certain situations.

This thread got me looking at the 13 and 13P more closely, and I ended up going with the regular 13 and couldn’t be happier. I think the video below is a good watch. I almost fell into the marketing hype thinking that the 13P’s camera is sooo much better. Don’t get me wrong, it is better on paper and in some situations, but the differences between the two are so negligible it’s not worth the extra money for me to get the pro. Some of the pictures even look better on the regular 13.

You have me curious about the regular 13 now.....care to elaborate more? Watching that video now, thanks!

Last edited:

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
You have me curious about the regular 13 now.....care to elaborate more? Watching that video now, thanks!

You can also find more videos on YouTube which show that the camera performance between the 13 and the 13 pro are very, very similar (of course without the optical zoom and macroshots).

Reactions: dantracht

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013

I also watched his video comparing the cameras on the 11, 12, and 13pm's all together, and with very very few exceptions, I could hardly tell a difference.

Although I am giving the regular 13 a passing thought, I'm still thinking of just hanging onto my 11pm and waiting for the fall.

Reactions: hemon

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
I also watched his video comparing the cameras on the 11, 12, and 13pm's all together, and with very very few exceptions, I could hardly tell a difference.

Although I am giving the regular 13 a passing thought, I'm still thinking of just hanging onto my 11pm and waiting for the fall.

I noticed that too. I compared also myself the 13 and the 13 Pro and I could hardy tell a difference on normal, daily and night shots, just very, very low light there is a little bit difference which is for me neagible. I always bought the Pro version, but this time around I choice the regular 13, mainly because of the weight difference which is not worth for a camera which performs very similar. The choice is for me between the 13 and the 13 Pro Max.

Reactions: dantracht

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
I noticed that too. I compared also myself the 13 and the 13 Pro and I could hardy tell a difference on normal, daily and night shots, just very, very low light there is a little bit difference which is for me neagible. I always bought the Pro version, but this time around I choice the regular 13, mainly because of the weight difference which is not worth for a camera which performs very similar. The choice is for me between the 13 and the 13 Pro Max.
What do you think about 11PM to 13 though? Will I notice much difference?

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
What do you think about 11PM to 13 though? Will I notice much difference?

If you compare the camera of 12PM and the 13 you can already see (much) difference (yes, also if they share the same camera sensor!), so I think that the difference is even more between the 11PM and the 13. And I love the form factor and display of the 12/13 compared to the 11. I had before the X and I enjoy the change!

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
If you compare the camera of 12PM and the 13 you can already see (much) difference (yes, also if they share the same camera sensor!), so I think that the difference is even more between the 11PM and the 13. And I love the form factor and display of the 12/13 compared to the 11. I had before the X and I enjoy the change!
Much appreciate your input. I was all set to keep my 11pm until next September, now I'm torn again. I can easily get the 13 in a week, and still not pay too much to upgrade to the 14PM next September if I really wanted to. Just cannot decide if it's worth it. Waiting until fall means I can trade in the 11pm entirely as it will be fully paid off.

Decisions.....decisions......

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
Much appreciate your input. I was all set to keep my 11pm until next September, now I'm torn again. I can easily get the 13 in a week, and still not pay too much to upgrade to the 14PM next September if I really wanted to. Just cannot decide if it's worth it. Waiting until fall means I can trade in the 11pm entirely as it will be fully paid off.

Decisions.....decisions......

If I were you and I would not need the optical zoom and not pay too much to upgrade to 13, I would do it and stuck with the 13 for the next years. I personally don't need to change every year, indeed I stuck with the X for 4 years and I was very happy with it.

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
If I were you and I would not need the optical zoom and not pay too much to upgrade to 13, I would do it and stuck with the 13 for the next years. I personally don't need to change every year, indeed I stuck with the X for 4 years and I was very happy with it.
Thanks so much. Gonna think about it today and make up my mind. Also occurred to me that it wouldn't surprise me if the 14PM got the new mini-LED display tech. Yet another reason to maybe wait for the 14.

Thank you though!

Reactions: hemon

mainemini

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2014
Maine
Not a great thread to read after getting the 13 Pro last week. I read elsewhere that the 13 Pro changes in aperture and sensor size might explain the new autofocusing problems. Hopefully the iOS 15 Camera app gets a few tweaks for that later this year.

I can still return it and downgrade to the 13 but dread spending hours fixing all the various tokens and logins that don't move from one phone to another easily again.

Reactions: AlGardner

jprmercado

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
So I’ve read the entire thread, and now that I’ve validated the same issue on my 13 Pro and after seeing the evidence, I’m leaning towards the conclusion that this is a software problem, and I’m hoping that Apple would correct it soon.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore

For all intend I believe the iPhone 13 is Apple’s main sell to most people. It’s reasonable price, made from more sensible materials like aluminium. It’s light, nice to hold in the hand, on top of just being an all around excellent iPhone in every department. Comes with a bigger assortment of colour choice, especially if you like bright cheery colours. Plus this year, the base model has 128GB of memory.

Really there is nothing not to like about the 13.

It’s the go to iPhone I would recommend when my friends ask which iPhone to get.

The Pros on the other hand, are really design for people who intend to use it for specific purposes.

Like shooting in ProRaw and ProRes.

These are the folks that do their editing in Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, Resolve and Final Cut Pro.

They are also the same people who appreciate bigger sensors, bigger aperture, things that can get really expensive in the photography/cinematography world, even for a very slight improvement.

At the same time there is more processing needed before taking a shot, like which lens to choose, how will the Lidar sensor affect the shot, which portrait option(3x or 1x), should I go with Marco mode, what format to shoot in.

It opens up more avenue for creativity but losses to some extent the simplistic that is iPhone.

One of the reason I was pushed towards buying a iPhone Pro this year is because I edit in Final Cut Pro and ProRes is a big deal for me, as is the larger sensor and bigger aperture on the Pro models wide camera, it really helps in cinematography, especially in low light.

The thing is this, the iPhone Pros are offering options that in early 2020 were only available in
really expensive camera rigs, like the Black Magic and Sonys.

While they are not in the same quality tier. The iPhone is noticeable smaller, lighter and most importantly almost always with me. Also it’s really fun to work with. It’s not going to replace big rigs, but just being able to shoot in ProRes with the upgrades this year, it’s a huge step forward.

The addition of ProMotion, 50% boost in Ram, stronger graphics performance, really lends itself to the Pro moniker.

Again, it’s not for everyone but if you are in the right demographic, it’s amazing.

Then for those who just need the biggest screen(old age, poorer eyesight) and longest battery life, the Max is just pure awesomeness.

An argument could be made for gamers too, I think they would really benefit from the extra real estate, battery life and GPU performance(especially when you turn on low power mode) on the Max.

For the rest that just want an iPhone that “just works” and have no need for the extras, the iPhone 13 is indeed the most compelling choice.

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
For all intend I believe the iPhone 13 is Apple’s main sell to most people. It’s reasonable price, made from more sensible materials like aluminium. It’s light, nice to hold in the hand, on top of just being an all around excellent iPhone in every department. Comes with a bigger assortment of colour choice, especially if you like bright cheery colours. Plus this year, the base model has 128GB of memory.

Really there is nothing not to like about the 13.

It’s the go to iPhone I would recommend when my friends ask which iPhone to get.

The Pros on the other hand, are really design for people who intend to use it for specific purposes.

Like shooting in ProRaw and ProRes.

These are the folks that do their editing in Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, Resolve and Final Cut Pro.

They are also the same people who appreciate bigger sensors, bigger aperture, things that can get really expensive in the photography/cinematography world, even for a very slight improvement.

At the same time there is more processing needed before taking a shot, like which lens to choose, how will the Lidar sensor affect the shot, which portrait option(3x or 1x), should I go with Marco mode, what format to shoot in.

It opens up more avenue for creativity but losses to some extent the simplistic that is iPhone.

One of the reason I was pushed towards buying a iPhone Pro this year is because I edit in Final Cut Pro and ProRes is a big deal for me, as is the larger sensor and bigger aperture on the Pro models wide camera, it really helps in cinematography, especially in low light.

The thing is this, the iPhone Pros are offering options that in early 2020 were only available in
really expensive camera rigs, like the Black Magic and Sonys.

While they are not in the same quality tier. The iPhone is noticeable smaller, lighter and most importantly almost always with me. Also it’s really fun to work with. It’s not going to replace big rigs, but just being able to shoot in ProRes with the upgrades this year, it’s a huge step forward.

The addition of ProMotion, 50% boost in Ram, stronger graphics performance, really lends itself to the Pro moniker.

Again, it’s not for everyone but if you are in the right demographic, it’s amazing.

Then for those who just need the biggest screen(old age, poorer eyesight) and longest battery life, the Max is just pure awesomeness.

An argument could be made for gamers too, I think they would really benefit from the extra real estate, battery life and GPU performance(especially when you turn on low power mode) on the Max.

For the rest that just want an iPhone that “just works” and have no need for the extras, the iPhone 13 is indeed the most compelling choice.
Thank you VERY much for this explanation, you wrote what I thought but I was not really able to express practically! Now, I have no regrets because I refuse myself to buy the Pro.

Reactions: MacLappy

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
3x digital zoom vs 3x optical
View attachment 1884976
Again 3x digital zoom vs 3x optical
View attachment 1884978
5x digital vs using 3xoptical + digital
View attachment 1884986

View attachment 1884987

Can someone explain this weird quality difference ?

One of the easiest way to find out what is happening with the photos is to read the meta data that is attached to the photo. If you can get hold of that it should be helpful.

Sometimes the iPhone may choose another lens depending on the lighting condition, the only way to tell which lens it is using is to check the meta data.

Also without said data, it is hard to tell if the person in question, shot the photo from the same angle, distance, under the same lighting condition and such. There are many variables in an experiment that can affect the photos outcome.

I tried to create an environment that is similar to the lighting condition that I am assuming the pictures were taken in. While not perfect, it is the best I can do.

Unfortunately I do not have a iPhone 13 to test with so I used a 12 as a substitute, hopefully it is not too unworthy.

I will attach the meta data as usual.

Room was moderately well lit, with just the basic lights that have been installed, no special camera lights, were used. Cabinet is not furnished with in build lights. No natural light as it was already dark outside.

Shot taken on iPhone 12, standing at position A, wide lens, digitally zoom x3, 79mm.

8de9cdd40ba7b83c4ca0d1f522f244de.jpg

2e650918726677f300a1828212c00c28.png

Shot taken on 13 Pro Max, standing at position A, telephoto lens,optical zoom x3, 77mm.

Even thought the zoom range is smaller notice how the photo is tighter(more closed up) compared to the shot on the iPhone 12.

48560163d69d43db8c5bda20e498982b.jpg

f8d93d7e9cb11e97508414223154ff9d.png

Shot taken on iPhone 12, 2 steps forward from position A to get closer to the subject, so that the picture match the shot on the iPhone 13 Pro Max.
Wide lens, maximum digital zoom for iPhone 12, x5, 132mm.

991d8fa7b7b21e5ee459edbc649e3b6d.jpg

aeefcecb2c5335927bfe031ee618df32.png

Shot taken on iPhone 13 Pro Max, standing at position A. Telephoto lens, digital zoom x5, 136mm.

a8fa470f72c3cb35c0d84d6f6de81f9b.jpg

91e9204a887c3892acfadbd0a9d17183.png

Finally shot taken on iPhone 13 Pro Max, standing at position A. Telephoto lens, maximum digital zoom for iPhone 13 Pro Max x15, 406mm.

c2e9f091e2758d420f14c406916e8cad.jpg

2602a5b8ac3bb6d224f498455e0021c4.png

From these photos, the iPhone 13 Pro Max zoom shots looks much better to me.

Quite surprised that the x15 maximum digital zoom shot, seems quite passable.

I have already previously simulated a digital zoom vs optical zoom comparison on the iPhone 13 Pro Max in this thread as such I did not add this variable into the mix as the result from that experiment is quite telling. It was also furnished with relevant meta data. The conclusion for that particular experiment, is when optical zoom is available it produces better pictures compared to digital zoom, assuming all other parameters are the same.

Last edited:

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
I have 13 Pro Max and regular 12 as well and have similar results. Very nice comparsion ! I though that he did use a digital zoom in Pro as well but don't know why because there was a daylight...

Reactions: MacLappy

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
I have 13 Pro Max and regular 12 as well and have similar results. Very nice comparsion ! I though that he did use a digital zoom in Pro as well but don't know why because there was a daylight...

Possibly, sudden overcast sky, happened multiple times for me, hard to control lighting when you are outside in the open.

JayB0219

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2021
If you have the pro and are willing to use the extra storage take photos using proraw there is a relatively easy fix. Take a pro raw photo and in the photo app hit edit and the extra sharpening will disappear. Just tap any of the edit options such as exposure and it will allow you to save the photo without the extra sharpening but still have the benefits of smart hdr, deep cushion, night mode etc.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
This is definitely a bug. And a really awful and messed up one at that. Overall the camera has been more than a disappointment, I am MAD.

I switched from the 11 pro max, to the 13 pro max. I don’t have any special settings turned on for the camera. I am getting that thing where the photo looks fine and then auto adjusts and the whole thing looks awful. On top of that - and it may be a separate issue - but this camera does not know how to focus. I used to be able to take out my phone and snap a shot, now it takes a few seconds for my phone to figure out what to focus on. Apple needs to fix these issues fast.
I’ve had the same problem with my 13 Pro focusing system. My attempt and my husband’s attempts to record an awards ceremony at school were marred by focusing issues. The cameras insisted on focusing on the backs of heads of fellow audience members instead of the stage despite, having clear sight lines to the stage. The only way I could get focused photos was in video mode.

Unfortunately it’s now all moot for me. I’m permanently on a new iPhone XR we got from AT&T. My new XR takes excellent photos and the display doesn’t give me migraines the way the 13 Pro ended up doing.

It’s only 64 gb but I’m finding it adequate. I’m actually happy to be back on the XR. I had a yellow one years ago. This one is a nicer quality than my old one. I’m good until I possibly decide to upgrade to an iPhone 11 in a few months.

My 12 mini camera is excellent. Unfortunately the 13 Pro ruined my ability to use its OLED display.

I think I’m not a fan of LiDAR focusing. I didn’t care for it on the 12 Pro max, either. It’s got advantages, but has some disadvantages, too. Perhaps a software update will help.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
I’ve had the same problem with my 13 Pro focusing system. My attempt and my husband’s attempts to record an awards ceremony at school were marred by focusing issues. The cameras insisted on focusing on the backs of heads of fellow audience members instead of the stage despite, having clear sight lines to the stage. The only way I could get focused photos was in video mode.

Unfortunately it’s now all moot for me. I’m permanently on a new iPhone XR we got from AT&T. My new XR takes excellent photos and the display doesn’t give me migraines the way the 13 Pro ended up doing.

It’s only 64 gb but I’m finding it adequate. I’m actually happy to be back on the XR. I had a yellow one years ago. This one is a nicer quality than my old one. I’m good until I possibly decide to upgrade to an iPhone 11 in a few months.

My 12 mini camera is excellent. Unfortunately the 13 Pro ruined my ability to use its OLED display.

I think I’m not a fan of LiDAR focusing. I didn’t care for it on the 12 Pro max, either. It’s got advantages, but has some disadvantages, too. Perhaps a software update will help.

Hi GrumpyMom, sorry to hear that this year’s iPhone has not work out for you.

Been following your post and many contributions on this forum for years.

Glad your new iPhone XR is treating your eyes well.

Hopefully with time your eyes might be able to adjust back to your purple 12 mini.

About the camera.

Am wondering if the iPhone Pros(12 and 13) would be better equipped to focus on distance objects rather than what is in the foreground if the LiDAR sensor was covered.

If it could be somehow “tricked” to work without LiDAR. Might be a temporary work around.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.