Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My experience with yellow tint on iPhone and Nexus has taught me that whenever I find out a part of the screen somewhere has yellow tint I am not able to "unnotice" it again and it seems like it gets worse each day. I did quite a few exchanges of my 6 because of this. I hope Samsung sorts out the issue in a software update if its not hardware related like they say
Sounds like this is hardware, not software.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'd really like Sammy to flatten the screen for the N8.. As much as I'm enjoying the S8+, the edge seems a waste of usable (precious) space, IMO. The 6.2" screen size is perfect as far as I can tell.

Also, TW ( that's what it is.. regardless of what they wanna name it now ) is still a RAM hog.. So, the Galaxy devices could really use 6GB RAM!
By the time Note 8 comes out Android O should be either available or in the wings. With Google seemingly approaching Apple's way of suspending applications going forward, 4gb will likely be more than enough ram realistically for a few years yet.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
So, my preliminary observations after 72 hrs...

- Screen is off the hook gorgeous ( set to WQHD )
- Battery life is great. Standby on par with my iP7+. Been getting around 6 hrs SOT consistently.
- Iris Scanner is either very quick, or just doesn't read!! ( Success rate for me 80% )
- The FPS is a PITA. I would've really liked it to be in the center of the back!
- Audio sounds amazing with my Jaybird X3
- Camera is great. However, some pics seems over exposed compared to the iP7+
- I do have a slight red hue around the edges. However, it isn't bothersome to me and running ' Screen Test ', the whites are pretty..well white! Will keep an eye on this.

That's about it for now..
[doublepost=1492974464][/doublepost]
By the time Note 8 comes out Android O should be either available or in the wings. With Google seemingly approaching Apple's way of suspending applications going forward, 4gb will likely be more than enough ram realistically for a few years yet.

4GB would (should) be enough if TW didn't weigh it down.. My LG V20 ( and played with the LG G6 for a while ) are lag-free and smooth as butter..but the S8+ isn't. It's better with the Animations set to 0.5 or Off.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I got to actually play with a S8 yesterday at my local Target. I must say, I'm pretty impressed. I figured I'd hate the 5.8" screen, but it was easier to handle than my 6s Plus I had on me.

I don't plan on switching platforms, but I hope Apple does their homework prior to their September iPhone announcement.

Reactions: tbayrgs and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
4GB would (should) be enough if TW didn't weigh it down.. My LG V20 ( and played with the LG G6 for a while ) are lag-free and smooth as butter..but the S8+ isn't. It's better with the Animations set to 0.5 or Off.

I wonder if that is more to do with Samsung's seemingly inability to optimise fully for snapdragon soc whereas on exynos you get far better general day to day performance and ram management.

In which case a switch to exynos in all territories would be more beneficial than upping ram.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I wonder if that is more to do with Samsung's seemingly inability to optimise fully for snapdragon soc whereas on exynos you get far better general day to day performance and ram management.

In which case a switch to exynos in all territories would be more beneficial than upping ram.

I think Samsung would love to go all Exynos, but they're unable to do so for now. If I'm not mistaken, they're using Qualcomm chips in the US due to some patent/licensing issue.

Reactions: MRU

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

I'd be all for exynos over snapdragon for Sammy! But, alas..

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have a pair of vari focals that have a coating that seems to enhance anything red, which can be spectacular and pleasing at times and makes greens somewhat washed out, so I hope it's not your specs making it worse than it may be. But I'm sure you have something :)

I'm lucky with my S8 but my S7E had a strong green tinge on the edges which was more of a refraction thing making it worse
Hi I'm on the road with my dad and hubby to Best Buy to return dad's computer. Again. Anyway just noticed here in the car that my display is now ALL pink not as bad on Adaptive mode where it's actually kind of lavender. Other modes all pink gotta go

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I think Samsung would love to go all Exynos, but they're unable to do so for now. If I'm not mistaken, they're using Qualcomm chips in the US due to some patent/licensing issue.

IIRC, I think it was also part of the deal for Samsung to be primary fabricator of the 835. If they keep making these kinds of deals going forward, my guess is we'll continue to see Qualcomm chips in Samsung phones.

Who knows, it may be a way for Samsung to hedge their bets in case a generation of Exynos chips don't quite measure up... lets them have an alternative available.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
IIRC, I think it was also part of the deal for Samsung to be primary fabricator of the 835. If they keep making these kinds of deals going forward, my guess is we'll continue to see Qualcomm chips in Samsung phones.

Who knows, it may be a way for Samsung to hedge their bets in case a generation of Exynos chips don't quite measure up... lets them have an alternative available.

Could be true, but I can't remember the last time Snapdragon was better than Exynos.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Much more noticeable today than yesterday and Friday.

I am pretty sure the s7e had it but not to this extent cause that would have been a major hot button.

Not planning on exchanging yet though I doubt the software update this week would fix it. Going back to adaptive and excluding red totally does not help. I want to check out other devices in stores real soon.
Ok I'm back at my parents house in indoor incandescent lighting using adaptive display. It's less of a problem under such conditions but still present. The best way I can describe it, men may not relate as well to but it's like pearlescent white nail polish with a pink hue.

Under brighter ambient lighting such as inside a car or room with strong indirect sunlight it's definitely got a pink cast very strong in the other display modes.

At the Best Buy my dad goes to there was only one S8+ on display and from what I could see it had pink only at the very extreme edges so I think that is just an aspect of the edge display. I matched the display phone and mine for all display settings and turned brightness all the way up on both and my display was more murky and pink. My brightest setting definitely could not match the display phone's brightest setting. Not that that bothers me, I am just noting it in case it means anything.

There is a lot of uneveness across the display which is a problem for me, even in the display modes that are all pink. They are just more pink at the edges. And my mom is calling me lol so I'll be back and finish up what I'm trying to say. Sorry guys

Ok now where was I going with this. Train of thought derailed and I guess I'll just say to keep an eye to see if this progresses for you or becomes worse as you try to use your phone under more lighting conditions.

I can't do anything about it today but I'm thinking it's not a lemon exactly, but one with a display variant that is hard on my eyes. If it were uniformly pink i would risk waiting for the software fix. But I don't think they can fix a halo/gradient type of issue with software.

So I'll see what I can do about getting an exchange which would be an ideal solution. I'm not sure how they are going to want to handle it given i have the $99 extras. I'll keep setting up the phone and back it all up to copy to the replacement.

Someone asked me about my glasses. I am testing both with and without glasses. Problems are the same either way. I am posting from the S8+ right now.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I normally prefer Exynos over Snapdragon but this year they're so close with both having the same big little architecture and fabbed on 10nm. Now that Qualcomm and Samsung are close partners hopefully whatever remaining differences will merge over time into one product. AMD would be a welcomed addition to that partnership since it benefits Qualcomm's venture into x86-64 compatibility then we'd only need one SoC/one device to run both Windows x86-64 and Android ARM apps natively.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Several years ago the snapdragon variant was better than the exynos. I remember there was an issue that with 4K. The exynos choip either couldn't record in 4K or playback in 4K. It's amazing how good the exynos has become.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Ok I'm back at my parents house in indoor incandescent lighting using adaptive display. It's less of a problem under such conditions but still present. The best way I can describe it, men may not relate as well to but it's like pearlescent white nail polish with a pink hue.

Under brighter ambient lighting such as inside a car or room with strong indirect sunlight it's definitely got a pink cast very strong in the other display modes.

At the Best Buy my dad goes to there was only one S8+ on display and from what I could see it had pink only at the very extreme edges so I think that is just an aspect of the edge display. I matched the display phone and mine for all display settings and turned brightness all the way up on both and my display was more murky and pink. My brightest setting definitely could not match the display phone's brightest setting. Not that that bothers me, I am just noting it in case it means anything.

There is a lot of uneveness across the display which is a problem for me, even in the display modes that are all pink. They are just more pink at the edges. And my mom is calling me lol so I'll be back and finish up what I'm trying to say. Sorry guys

Ok now where was I going with this. Train of thought derailed and I guess I'll just say to keep an eye to see if this progresses for you or becomes worse as you try to use your phone under more lighting conditions.

I can't do anything about it today but I'm thinking it's not a lemon exactly, but one with a display variant that is hard on my eyes. If it were uniformly pink i would risk waiting for the software fix. But I don't think they can fix a halo/gradient type of issue with software.

So I'll see what I can do about getting an exchange which would be an ideal solution. I'm not sure how they are going to want to handle it given i have the $99 extras. I'll keep setting up the phone and back it all up to copy to the replacement.

Someone asked me about my glasses. I am testing both with and without glasses. Problems are the same either way. I am posting from the S8+ right now.

For me it is just on the edges but it is not all the time so it depends on the viewing angle, the type of lighting in the room and how dark or light the room is.

Someone asked for a pic but as I said it is dependent upon things whether or not it is apparent. Then again I do not exactly like the fact that "it depends". :)

Unless there is proof positive that not all s8s are subjected to this, I will not be returning mine. I saw the red edges on all of them at BB.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I just came back from T-mobile to return my LG V20. Saw one of my friends there and she complained about the same thing. Looked at her screen and it was noticeable, especially compared to mines which I have no issue with. She took a selfie with me. First thing I noticed was how white my shirt was on her phone. I'm wearing a new white tee. So I zoomed in on the picture and the entire screen was a flawless white. Back to the white settings menu, and I could see the pinkish hues again.

This makes me think it's the software itself and not the actual display. I told her to return it regardless, but I think Samsung could actually fix this with an update.

She had the S8 and I have the S8+, if that means anything.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
For me it is just on the edges but it is not all the time so it depends on the viewing angle, the type of lighting in the room and how dark or light the room is.

Someone asked for a pic but as I said it is dependent upon things whether or not it is apparent. Then again I do not exactly like the fact that "it depends". :)

Unless there is proof positive that not all s8s are subjected to this, I will not be returning mine. I saw the red edges on all of them at BB.
Mine is persistent through different lighting conditions but I can't for the life of me get a decent photo of it. The white balance on my iPhone camera seems to be mitigating it. I'm having other problems with the phone so I think a return or exchange is unfortunately something I'm going to have to go through. I really don't need that right now with other things that had to get thrown on the back burner this past week. But I bought this phone in large part for the beautiful display. And it is a nice display for a lot of uses but definitely not for reading ebooks and web sites and this forum.

I've got the blue light filter turned on and the pink gradient is still persisting past the yellow tint I wanted the display to have with the filter turned on.
[doublepost=1492994776][/doublepost]
I just came back from T-mobile to return my LG V20. Saw one of my friends there and she complained about the same thing. Looked at her screen and it was noticeable, especially compared to mines which I have no issue with. She took a selfie with me. First thing I noticed was how white my shirt was on her phone. I'm wearing a new white tee. So I zoomed in on the picture and the entire screen was a flawless white. Back to the white settings menu, and I could see the pinkish hues again.

This makes me think it's the software itself and not the actual display. I told her to return it regardless, but I think Samsung could actually fix this with an update.

She had the S8 and I have the S8+, if that means anything.
Thanks for letting me know about your friend's phone. Mine is a plus. So I guess it happens to both models.

I won't monopolize the forum with this issue any further since I'm sure those of you with nice displays have loads more pleasant thing to discuss about your new phones. But thanks to all who weighed in.

I'm still at my parents house comparing video recording between the S8+ and my IPhone 7 Plus. They both do well but the S8+ does sometimes overexpose. I did find out tracking autofocus isn't something I want turned on when I am walking around recording. I guess that would work better if I'm still and the subject is moving. Until I turned that off I was getting some blurry sections on my S8+ video.

Audio recording seems to be good but it's hard to be sure until I get home and listen in some quiet. My mom has the t.v. blaring and I only brought my ear buds.

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleRobert

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Mine is persistent through different lighting conditions but I can't for the life of me get a decent photo of it. The white balance on my iPhone camera seems to be mitigating it. I'm having other problems with the phone so I think a return or exchange is unfortunately something I'm going to have to go through. I really don't need that right now with other things that had to get thrown on the back burner this past week. But I bought this phone in large part for the beautiful display. And it is a nice display for a lot of uses but definitely not for reading ebooks and web sites and this forum.

I've got the blue light filter turned on and the pink gradient is still persisting past the yellow tint I wanted the display to have with the filter turned on.
[doublepost=1492994776][/doublepost]
Thanks for letting me know about your friend's phone. Mine is a plus. So I guess it happens to both models.

I won't monopolize the forum with this issue any further since I'm sure those of you with nice displays have loads more pleasant thing to discuss about your new phones. But thanks to all who weighed in.

I'm still at my parents house comparing video recording between the S8+ and my IPhone 7 Plus. They both do well but the S8+ does sometimes overexpose. I did find out tracking autofocus isn't something I want turned on when I am walking around recording. I guess that would work better if I'm still and the subject is moving. Until I turned that off I was getting some blurry sections on my S8+ video.

Audio recording seems to be good but it's hard to be sure until I get home and listen in some quiet. My mom has the t.v. blaring and I only brought my ear buds.

You should definitely at least exchange it. Sorry you're going through so much

Reactions: 5105973 and I7guy

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Sounds like this is hardware, not software.

Not what Samsung states though

"Because there are some complaints about the red-tinted screens, we decided to upgrade the software next week for all Galaxy S8 clients," a Samsung spokesperson said.

In fact, the firm has already informed its service centers in the country about this. "There will be an additional update to make color revisions more minutely at the end of April," Samsung Service Centers were told.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I think a lot of people think their screens are pink even if they are not. Not saying anyone here in particular. But once you hear there is an issue you can subconsciously trick yourself into seeing pink. Or if you view parts of the screen at different angles it can appear pink as well and this isn't the same as having a pink screen looking straight on.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I think a lot of people think their screens are pink even if they are not. Not saying anyone here in particular. But once you hear there is an issue you can subconsciously trick yourself into seeing pink. Or if you view parts of the screen at different angles it can appear pink as well and this isn't the same as having a pink screen looking straight on.

Most likely they are pink tinted but if you are OCD you will just keep seeing them everywhere. The way I deal with tinted screen to is to play the screen lottery or try to ignore it and use the device normally. Except for my 7 Plus many of my LCD Androids and iPad have uneven tint.If I use my iPad as normal I don't notice the issue. But if I rotate the iPad upside down and try to read my eyes immediately catch the uneven whites.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
why dont those who think they have pink issue first use the "Screen Test" app to ascertain first before exchanging.

Sometimes it is the app (browser/webpage) that caused it. Also samsung oled screen has a reflective layer (for better sunlight reading). This layer sometimes at certain angle reflect light which cause you to see rainbow of colors.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not what Samsung states though

"Because there are some complaints about the red-tinted screens, we decided to upgrade the software next week for all Galaxy S8 clients," a Samsung spokesperson said.

In fact, the firm has already informed its service centers in the country about this. "There will be an additional update to make color revisions more minutely at the end of April," Samsung Service Centers were told.
They actually didn't say much and didn't admit much, but my observation is it's a hardware issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.