Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I've got the pink/red tint around the top 1/3rds of my screen and along the top. I was initially gonna wait to see if the software update fixes this but as it only affects certain parts of the screen I don't see how it will fix it, it's got to be a hardware problem.

Really disappointed by this as the rest of the phone is awesome and I really like it but what's the point in having all the bells and whistles if the screen ain't right?

I'm exchanging mine for another unit as for a premium flagship phone to have this issue is unacceptable to me when you consider how much they charge for them.

Certainly sounds more like a hardware issue, I'd do the same and yeah, totally unacceptable.
I'd like to hear how it gets resolved.

Reactions: jamezr

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Manage to find a MS BT KB in English to go with my DeX

Even just as a charging unit it better IMO as there is no bright LED light on the front that's too strong for use in bedroom at night

dex.jpg

Reactions: mi7chy and Demo Kit

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Interesting video :

When people on this forum freak out about getting a "yellow" display on their iPhones and start raging that iPhones don't have OLED yet, I have tried in vain to warn folks on this forum that AMOLED displays have wide variances just like Apple's LCD displays do. So when that iPhone 8 comes out with its OLED screen and some are Aqua and some are pink, the super picky self proclaimed OCD members are going to poop kittens and bricks. I for one have no intention of touching that iPhone.

I will be honest. So far my iPhone 7Plus is kicking my S8 Plus's butt in some key comparisons that I've been able to make so far in my very limited opportunity.

My IPhone 7 Plus has a more evenly lit and tinted display that's much easier to read print on. My IPhone 7 Plus is overall faster in ways I notice, like in rotating from landscape to portrait in camera mode and in general use. It's just a little faster overall and the battery still seems to last a little longer.

My IPhone 7 Plus takes better pictures in auto mode (which is pretty much the only mode it has). The S8+ tends to let in too much light that oddly enough causes the same scene to be washed out and have less color. It's not just my phone...I've noticed that tendency in sample pics I've seen. When pixel peeping, the S8+ has some fractions of scenes that are blurrier or less detailed than the iPhone was able to manage--which really shocked me because I'm used to IPhone pictures in general being a bit less detailed than Samsung photos.

The iPhone camera is much, much better at reproducing fine nuances of lighting in interior shots just as my eye sees them whereas the S8+ does something I can only compare to completely reinterpreting the lighting and putting its own spin on it. It's not displeasing and not totally inaccurate, it's just got emphasis on colors and light intensities that my eye and the iPhone camera didn't pick up as strongly. I think it sometimes does destroy some of what an "atmosphere" of a scene really was. And sometimes enhances it. But the iPhone pics tend to be more close to what the scene actually looked like.

The iPhone is also consistently easier to unlock. I just need to stick my thumb on the sensor and I'm in most of the time. My on the S8+ it's a crapshoot as to whether or not any of the many methods of unlocking are going to work for me at any given moment. I end up using my Passcode a lot. My husband says facial recognition sucks for him and he has the most unchanging face of anyone I know. Dude always looks the same.

I'll conclude by saying I think my iPhone 7Plus is a really excellent refinement of the design we saw introduced in the iPhone 6 Plus and represents a culmination of everything Apple learned it needed to do to optimize that design. I think the S8+ is still a work in progress for Samsung and it is a bit rough around the edges. I really appreciate a lot of things about it, though and am still very excited about it. But that's a whole other post as this one is way too long and I need to go walk my dog!

~~I am concerned about the pink halo. It is fine as it is, but if it gets worse the phone will have to get swapped out.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
When people on this forum freak out about getting a "yellow" display on their iPhones and start raging that iPhones don't have OLED yet, I have tried in vain to warn folks on this forum that AMOLED displays have wide variances just like Apple's LCD displays do. So when that iPhone 8 comes out with its OLED screen and some are Aqua and some are pink, the super picky self proclaimed OCD members are going to poop kittens and bricks. I for one have no intention of touching that iPhone.

I will be honest. So far my iPhone 7Plus is kicking my S8 Plus's butt in some key comparisons that I've been able to make so far in my very limited opportunity.

My IPhone 7 Plus has a more evenly lit and tinted display that's much easier to read print on. My IPhone 7 Plus is overall faster in ways I notice, like in rotating from landscape to portrait in camera mode and in general use. It's just a little faster overall and the battery still seems to last a little longer.

My IPhone 7 Plus takes better pictures in auto mode (which is pretty much the only mode it has). The S8+ tends to let in too much light that oddly enough causes the same scene to be washed out and have less color. It's not just my phone...I've noticed that tendency in sample pics I've seen. When pixel peeping, the S8+ has some fractions of scenes that are blurrier or less detailed than the iPhone was able to manage--which really shocked me because I'm used to IPhone pictures in general being a bit less detailed than Samsung photos.

The iPhone camera is much, much better at reproducing fine nuances of lighting in interior shots just as my eye sees them whereas the S8+ does something I can only compare to completely reinterpreting the lighting and putting its own spin on it. It's not displeasing and not totally inaccurate, it's just got emphasis on colors and light intensities that my eye and the iPhone camera didn't pick up as strongly. I think it sometimes does destroy some of what an "atmosphere" of a scene really was. And sometimes enhances it. But the iPhone pics tend to be more close to what the scene actually looked like.

The iPhone is also consistently easier to unlock. I just need to stick my thumb on the sensor and I'm in most of the time. My on the S8+ it's a crapshoot as to whether or not any of the many methods of unlocking are going to work for me at any given moment. I end up using my Passcode a lot. My husband says facial recognition sucks for him and he has the most unchanging face of anyone I know. Dude always looks the same.

I'll conclude by saying I think my iPhone 7Plus is a really excellent refinement of the design we saw introduced in the iPhone 6 Plus and represents a culmination of everything Apple learned it needed to do to optimize that design. I think the S8+ is still a work in progress for Samsung and it is a bit rough around the edges. I really appreciate a lot of things about it, though and am still very excited about it. But that's a whole other post as this one is way too long and I need to go walk my dog!

~~I am concerned about the pink halo. It is fine as it is, but if it gets worse the phone will have to get swapped out.
Do you know what camera sensor your phone has, Samsung or Sony? I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
It's not as if I'm attacking your stance. And I did notice you mention "for me" in your post.

I was just hoping you could elaborate on it, that all. You have both the iPhone 7 Plus and the newest Galaxy phone. I plan on getting the Galaxy s8+, but I'm still on the fences... simply because of everything to do with Apple lol.

I got a iPhone 7 Plus, gonna give the Galaxy s8+ a run through... then I'll see if it can win me over.

In that case, sure. I had the 7+. Got rid of it because it had awful signal quality on T-Mobile thanks to the Intel modem. Had to go through a few because of the hiss-gate at launch, so returned it and got my $ back. Worst iPhone I ever owned I would say (5C, 5S, 6+, 6S+, 7+, and SE).

The 7+ had great battery life, a good screen, nice speakers, an amazing processor, a top end camera, and reliable performance outside of calls. Yes, it did lag from time to time, but what phone doesn't?

However, the 7+ is severally limited by Apple's walled garden. I had to rely on iTunes for putting my music and ringtones into the phone. The S8 allows me to access the file library and save files directly for easy access. The Edge Screens offer shortcuts in a form of cards with sports scores and quick bookmarks. I have quick charge and wireless charging as well. Adding themes makes my phone uniquely mine. I might not have a dual camera, but I think the S8 has the better camera since it's an improvement over the S7/S7E (better than the 7+ to begin with). Having a headphone jack is important too.

I also enjoy using the S8 more. Bigger screen in a smaller body that doesn't feel bulky. Dual windows for enhanced multi-tasking. A functioning always on display is a plus. A fingerprint scanner that works even when the screen is off is a decent add on even though it is really finicky at times and has an awkward location.

Samsung nailed the software and hardware mix thus far. You don't need to rely on a half-baked Assistant like Siri. The Google Assistant is much more contextual and aware. The phone ergonomics is much better. Features native to Android makes the device so much better too like predictive dialing. An AMOLED screen just makes the device just so much more pleasurable using. VR is a better aspect as well. An SD slot doubles my memory capacity since I use a 64gb card. I will not use DeX for awhile until I see a good demo or nice sale price. Samsung Pay is a nicer feature than Apple Pay. I also have expanded NFC and Bluetooth 5.0 to work with. The Gigabit LTE coverage under LTE-U (T-Mobile) should boost my phone signal and performance. It's a known feature vs a potential unknown in the 2017 iPhone since Apple used Intel and missed out on some of the more LTE-A features you see in the S7/S7E.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Do you know what camera sensor your phone has, Samsung or Sony? I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
I don't know. I didn't download that app to test it. I didn't want to go through that TSMC vs Samsung SOX type of question again.

I am going to see what I have to go through to send this phone back. When I posted here earlier it was from my iPad.

The last few days since I got mg S8+ it has been raining and dark out so all of my usage so far was in indoor lighting conditions. The sun has finally come out and I'm on the forum in a room lit by skylights and the display is worse than i realized.

I don't know if the pink tint has creeped up to take over or if the lighting now makes it worse but the pink is really overtaking the edges. It's not the extreme edges anymore where I can ignore it. It's about 3/4 of a centimeter in from the right margin and half a centimeter in from the left margin. If I look straight at it, it doesn't bother me but when I'm trying to type on this forum or read it the pink sort of punches me in the peripheral vision and as a person prone to migraines I can't take this. Turning the display completely upside down leaves the bigger pink edge consistently in place so I don't think it's a product of how the light is hitting and retracting from the edges.

The center is a pleasing shade of white.

I'm really disappointed and I have so much else to deal with right now with my parents and in-laws making demands on my time, so I really do not want to be dealing with trying to get a return processed through Samsung. I should have gone ahead and signed up for that new insurance thing they've got going on. But I had to listen to my husband who is averse to such things for some reason. Grr. Sigh.

I'll try to get a pic of what's going on for you all. Just give me a bit because I have a lot going on around here getting ready to go back to my dad's house yet again. I'll try to snap and post a pic under the skylights before I leave.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
My s8 has the pink edges as well, seems like it is becoming more noticeable especially is basic mode. I will start going to carriers and BB to see if their display units have it. Might even ask passerbys in the stores who have an s8 if they have it as well.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I don't know. I didn't download that app to test it. I didn't want to go through that TSMC vs Samsung SOX type of question again.

I am going to see what I have to go through to send this phone back. When I posted here earlier it was from my iPad.

The last few days since I got mg S8+ it has been raining and dark out so all of my usage so far was in indoor lighting conditions. The sun has finally come out and I'm on the forum in a room lit by skylights and the display is worse than i realized.

I don't know if the pink tint has creeped up to take over or if the lighting now makes it worse but the pink is really overtaking the edges. It's not the extreme edges anymore where I can ignore it. It's about 3/4 of a centimeter in from the right margin and half a centimeter in from the left margin. If I look straight at it, it doesn't bother me but when I'm trying to type on this forum or read it the pink sort of punches me in the peripheral vision and as a person prone to migraines I can't take this. Turning the display completely upside down leaves the bigger pink edge consistently in place so I don't think it's a product of how the light is hitting and retracting from the edges.

The center is a pleasing shade of white.

I'm really disappointed and I have so much else to deal with right now with my parents and in-laws making demands on my time, so I really do not want to be dealing with trying to get a return processed through Samsung. I should have gone ahead and signed up for that new insurance thing they've got going on. But I had to listen to my husband who is averse to such things for some reason. Grr. Sigh.

I'll try to get a pic of what's going on for you all. Just give me a bit because I have a lot going on around here getting ready to go back to my dad's house yet again. I'll try to snap and post a pic under the skylights before I leave.

Wait, isn't the new insurance included for the first 30 days of ownership?
[doublepost=1492962817][/doublepost]
My s8 has the pink edges as well, seems like it is becoming more noticeable especially is basic mode. I will start going to carriers and BB to see if their display units have it. Might even ask passerbys in the stores who have an s8 if they have it as well.

Would just get it replaced at that point tbh. I don't see a tint on my phone. I would wait until your Gear VR is approved and shipped just in case because it could convolute the process.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Crap. I have tried with mg S7 and my IPhone. I can not get the problem to show up on a picture so far. Let me try the lighting in my bathroom. Sola tube up there.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Yeah... I thought about that.

But now Android Nougat supports that. But then I think w/ Galaxy devices they can do multiple windows meaning not just two... if I'm not mistaken.
This is multiple window. You can have two apps showing at once.
Screenshot_20170421_092817.png

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Wait, isn't the new insurance included for the first 30 days of ownership?
[doublepost=1492962817][/doublepost]

Would just get it replaced at that point tbh. I don't see a tint on my phone. I would wait until your Gear VR is approved and shipped just in case because it could convolute the process.
Yes the insurance is free for the first three months. Stupid not to get it. Was stupid. Sorry, to clarify you had to specifically check the checkbox to sign up for it. I did not.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Okay I took this with my iPhone and all it shows is that I'm blind and insane because the pink halo is NOT showing up at all in the photo. Well I can make it out faintly but that's only because in person I know what I'm looking for and where it is. I do not expect anyone here to see what I'm complaining about. So I would have to reverse myself and wonder if it IS a refraction problem. Or my eyes are effed up. This is frustrating. The photo was taken in one of my bathrooms that has a sola tube. The sun is shining too brightly into the kitchen to replicate the conditions I had earlier.

My S7 Edge does also have very minimal pink edging at the extreme edges. Obviously that has never bothered me. My S7 does not have them at all. It could be a light refraction problem due to the Edge curves. I'm hardly an expert and not even sure I'm using the right terminology so it's all just guessing.

IMG_1441.JPG

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
In that case, sure. I had the 7+. Got rid of it because it had awful signal quality on T-Mobile thanks to the Intel modem. Had to go through a few because of the hiss-gate at launch, so returned it and got my $ back. Worst iPhone I ever owned I would say (5C, 5S, 6+, 6S+, 7+, and SE).

The 7+ had great battery life, a good screen, nice speakers, an amazing processor, a top end camera, and reliable performance outside of calls. Yes, it did lag from time to time, but what phone doesn't?

However, the 7+ is severally limited by Apple's walled garden. I had to rely on iTunes for putting my music and ringtones into the phone. The S8 allows me to access the file library and save files directly for easy access. The Edge Screens offer shortcuts in a form of cards with sports scores and quick bookmarks. I have quick charge and wireless charging as well. Adding themes makes my phone uniquely mine. I might not have a dual camera, but I think the S8 has the better camera since it's an improvement over the S7/S7E (better than the 7+ to begin with). Having a headphone jack is important too.

I also enjoy using the S8 more. Bigger screen in a smaller body that doesn't feel bulky. Dual windows for enhanced multi-tasking. A functioning always on display is a plus. A fingerprint scanner that works even when the screen is off is a decent add on even though it is really finicky at times and has an awkward location.

Samsung nailed the software and hardware mix thus far. You don't need to rely on a half-baked Assistant like Siri. The Google Assistant is much more contextual and aware. The phone ergonomics is much better. Features native to Android makes the device so much better too like predictive dialing. An AMOLED screen just makes the device just so much more pleasurable using. VR is a better aspect as well. An SD slot doubles my memory capacity since I use a 64gb card. I will not use DeX for awhile until I see a good demo or nice sale price. Samsung Pay is a nicer feature than Apple Pay. I also have expanded NFC and Bluetooth 5.0 to work with. The Gigabit LTE coverage under LTE-U (T-Mobile) should boost my phone signal and performance. It's a known feature vs a potential unknown in the 2017 iPhone since Apple used Intel and missed out on some of the more LTE-A features you see in the S7/S7E.

Yea, my 7+ is defiantly weaker with signal than my S8+, and I would sometimes have to enable and disable airplane mode just to catch a signal again. I'm also on T-mobile, but it's defiantly not a carrier issue.

I never had any lag with the 7+, but had some screen freezing and crashing occasionally, especially when I do handoff from my MBP.

S8+ FP sensor works excellent for me. The placement was a slight struggle at first, but it feels natural now. And registering both my index fingers to two slots each, has basically made it completely reliable.

Even with my back case on and a few days later, the S8+ still feels so noticeably good in the hand. It's like every time I pick it up, that's my first thought.

Feels good to be back on Samsung Pay.

Reactions: nviz22 and jamezr

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
For me, the pink hue on the edges are more apparent in low brightness. Once I crank it above 50%, it seems to get better.

Truth is, the edge display is what might be deciding factor for me.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
My IPhone 7 Plus has a more evenly lit and tinted display that's much easier to read print on.
I don't know what issue you may be having with your eyes, but the high resolution, makes it MUCH easier to read text on the S8/S8+ than on the iPhone. It isn't even in the same stratosphere.

My IPhone 7 Plus is overall faster in ways I notice, like in rotating from landscape to portrait in camera mode and in general use. It's just a little faster overall
As for screen orientation, there has always been a difference in set delay time between devices. That doesn't mean it's actually slower, it just means it's different. As for the "in general use", I'd wonder if you're confusing animation speed with overall device speed. The animations have set times, but that has nothing to do with the actual speed of the device. For example, if you turn the animation speed down, you'll see the phone "feels" faster, despite there actually being no speed change besides the animations being sped up.

and the battery still seems to last a little longer.
This will depend on how you have your phone set up, and what you're using it for. With my use case, the iPhone doesn't compete in battery life. It has great idling battery consumption, but I actually use my phone. The iPhone can't compete with the S8 in actual screen time. A big part of that is due to the difference in screen technology.
Yesterday, I had over 5.5 hours of screen time, and still got nearly 24 hours of battery life. This is with bluetooth music streaming for about 2 hours, and light GPS use. If the iPhone is just sitting there, it gets great battery life. When you actually use it, things change quickly...

You must have a super iPhone... The iPhone's camera did even best my S7 Edge, and the S8/S8+ is actually better than the S7 Edge. I don't know how you managed to have such an exceptional iPhone camera, but it must be one of a kind. Suffice it to say, my experience has been quite the opposite. Not only have I found the camera quality to be better, the shutter speed is faster as well. It has been so quick, I have pulled my phone out as I was passing something in my car, snapped a quick photo, and it came out great. You'd never know it was a rushed shot, taken as I was driving past. In the past, if I tried that with the iPhone, it was obvious I was driving past, as the pictures would be unfocused or blurry.

I press the home button, and my phone is unlocked... I don't know how much easier it gets than that. If you're talking about fingerprint sensor, it works just as well. It takes a bit of retraining yourself to stop reaching for the front, but that's the same thing you have to adjust to with some other phones. When you have retrained yourself to know not to reach to the front, it actually isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. With that said, I haven't found it to be any more difficult to unlock than any other phone. Iris scanning has really been very reliable and quite fast. Most times, I never even see the lock screen at all.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Do you think it's getting worse or spreading slowly over the whole display? I think mine has spread since I used it last night.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Yes the insurance is free for the first three months. Stupid not to get it. Was stupid. Sorry, to clarify you had to specifically check the checkbox to sign up for it. I did not.

That's the one with Samsung Premium?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I don't know what issue you may be having with your eyes, but the high resolution, makes it MUCH easier to read text on the S8/S8+ than on the iPhone. It isn't even in the same stratosphere.

As for screen orientation, there has always been a difference in set delay time between devices. That doesn't mean it's actually slower, it just means it's different. As for the "in general use", I'd wonder if you're confusing animation speed with overall device speed. The animations have set times, but that has nothing to do with the actual speed of the device. For example, if you turn the animation speed down, you'll see the phone "feels" faster, despite there actually being no speed change besides the animations being sped up.

This will depend on how you have your phone set up, and what you're using it for. With my use case, the iPhone doesn't compete in battery life. It has great idling battery consumption, but I actually use my phone. The iPhone can't compete with the S8 in actual screen time. A big part of that is due to the difference in screen technology.
Yesterday, I had over 5.5 hours of screen time, and still got nearly 24 hours of battery life. This is with bluetooth music streaming for about 2 hours, and light GPS use. If the iPhone is just sitting there, it gets great battery life. When you actually use it, things change quickly...

You must have a super iPhone... The iPhone's camera did even best my S7 Edge, and the S8/S8+ is actually better than the S7 Edge. I don't know how you managed to have such an exceptional iPhone camera, but it must be one of a kind. Suffice it to say, my experience has been quite the opposite. Not only have I found the camera quality to be better, the shutter speed is faster as well. It has been so quick, I have pulled my phone out as I was passing something in my car, snapped a quick photo, and it came out great. You'd never know it was a rushed shot, taken as I was driving past. In the past, if I tried that with the iPhone, it was obvious I was driving past, as the pictures would be unfocused or blurry.

I press the home button, and my phone is unlocked... I don't know how much easier it gets than that. If you're talking about fingerprint sensor, it works just as well. It takes a bit of retraining yourself to stop reaching for the front, but that's the same thing you have to adjust to with some other phones. When you have retrained yourself to know not to reach to the front, it actually isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. With that said, I haven't found it to be any more difficult to unlock than any other phone. Iris scanning has really been very reliable and quite fast. Most times, I never even see the lock screen at all.
You know, it is possible to have a polite conversation disagreeing with my points without expressing such sarcasm. I'm a nice person with a long history of polite discussion with people of opposing views on this forum and I will say I do not appreciate your tone one bit. I made it clear I've had only a short time and limited circumstances in which to compare the two and that's been my experience so far.

I've been on this thread awhile and have said I have had a long struggle with fingerprint readers and so far only the sensor on my HTC 10 and my iPhone 7 Plus have consistently worked well for me. I have scuffed up prints from a lifetime of hard manual work and it definitely is a mileage may vary thing with me.

Yes I was very lucky and I got a really excellent iPhone 7 Plus. I was not expecting that and was even planning to sit the current generation out because of all the bad comments on the initial production run. It was a Christmas gift I did not ask for as I was using an HtC 10 as my main phone.

I have a lot going on and so let me make it perfectly clear to anyone else who wants to start some crap with me on this thread, I am not putting up with it. Be polite and reasonable or don't bother to address me at all.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
You know, it is possible to have a polite conversation disagreeing with my points without expressing such sarcasm. I'm a nice person with a long history of polite discussion with people of opposing views on this forum and I will say I do not appreciate your tone one bit. I made it clear I've had only a short time and limited circumstances in which to compare the two and that's been my experience so far.

I've been on this thread awhile and have said I have had a long struggle with fingerprint readers and so far only the sensor on my HTC 10 and my iPhone 7 Plus have consistently worked well for me. I have scuffed up prints from a lifetime of hard manual work and it definitely is a mileage may vary thing with me.

Yes I was very lucky and I got a really excellent iPhone 7 Plus. I was not expecting that and was even planning to sit the current generation out because of all the bad comments on the initial production run. It was a Christmas gift I did not ask for as I was using an HtC 10 as my main phone.

I have a lot going on and so let me make it perfectly clear to anyone else who wants to start some crap with me on this thread, I am not putting up with it. Be polite and reasonable or don't bother to address me at all.

No need for an emotional reply, as it doesn't require all that. Nothing that was said should have solicited such a reply. My fingerprint has a permanet scar down the middle of it, and it still gets read perfectly. As I stated earlier, the iris scan is so fast that many times, I don't even see the lock screen at all. Put simply, I have found much of what you said to be untrue in my experiences. Sorry that seems to bother you so much, but it is what it is. For example, what I said about the camera. iPhone has produced blurs and unfocused shots when attempting to snap a quick photo as I'm passing by in a vehicle. I don't have that problem with the S8 at all. Text remarkably easy to read on the S8 (due to the hi-res display), and is markedly better than on the iPhone....and let's not even get into overall screen quality. It's just not close. All in all, my experiences are quite different from yours, and some of what you stated just gives me pause (and questions). No need to be emotional about it, it simply is what it is.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
S8+ FP sensor works excellent for me. The placement was a slight struggle at first, but it feels natural now. And registering both my index fingers to two slots each, has basically made it completely reliable.

I really missed the FP at the back of my previous phone. I think if you have not use one with FP at back, first reaction is to dismiss it as worse (that's what I did). In fact, it is much more convenience. You can unlock single-handed while holding/taking it out from your pocket in one single action (by touching the sensor). You dont even to need make another effort to press a button with your other hand. Your index fingers natural position is right at around the location of the sensor. So once you get use to the offset of the sensor from you index finger, I can guarantee you dont want to go back to have a sensor in the front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.