Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
I really missed the FP at the back of my previous phone. I think if you have not use one with FP at back, first reaction is to dismiss it as worse (that's what I did). In fact, it is much more convenience. You can unlock single-handed while holding/taking it out from your pocket in one single action (by touching the sensor). You dont even to need make another effort to press a button with your other hand. Your index fingers natural position is right at around the location of the sensor. So once you get use to the offset of the sensor from you index finger, I can guarantee you dont want to go back to have a sensor in the front.

I've been saying the exact same thing. It's more of a shock to people because their muscle memory tells them to reach for the "home button". Having to retrain themselves to stop reaching for the front, has them automatically characterizing it as bad. It's actually very easy to hit, and isn't bad at all once you learn to stop reaching for the front.

Reactions: jamesrick80

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Do you think it's getting worse or spreading slowly over the whole display? I think mine has spread since I used it last night.

Much more noticeable today than yesterday and Friday.

I am pretty sure the s7e had it but not to this extent cause that would have been a major hot button.

Not planning on exchanging yet though I doubt the software update this week would fix it. Going back to adaptive and excluding red totally does not help. I want to check out other devices in stores real soon.

Reactions: 5105973

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Much more noticeable today than yesterday and Friday.

I am pretty sure the s7e had it but not to this extent cause that would have been a major hot button.

Not planning on exchanging yet though I doubt the software update this week would fix it. Going back to adaptive and excluding red totally does not help. I want to check out other devices in stores real soon.

For those who think they have pink issue, why dont you download an app "Screen Test" from play store, put it to full white screen, post a picture so we can all see.

From your description, most of us don't know whether it is actually an issue or maybe your eyes are playing tricks on you.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I really missed the FP at the back of my previous phone. I think if you have not use one with FP at back, first reaction is to dismiss it as worse (that's what I did). In fact, it is much more convenience. You can unlock single-handed while holding/taking it out from your pocket in one single action (by touching the sensor). You dont even to need make another effort to press a button with your other hand. Your index fingers natural position is right at around the location of the sensor. So once you get use to the offset of the sensor from you index finger, I can guarantee you dont want to go back to have a sensor in the front.

I think it depends. While holding .... It's just as easy to using my thumbs for a front placed sensor, as it is using my index for a back placed sensor.

The advantage to a back placed sensor, is manufacturers can add gestures, and most(if not all) FP sensors on the back don't require any pressing. Just a light touch would do, which actually makes it faster.

The advantage to front placed sensor, is you can use it while phone is laying on a table or on a dock/cradle.

I personally don't mind either way. But any phone in my future must have either FP within the display or on the back. Both Samsung and LG have proven that large bezels are unnecessary.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
I think it depends. While holding .... It's just as easy to using my thumbs for a front placed sensor, as it is using my index for a back placed sensor.

The advantage to a back placed sensor, is manufacturers can add gestures, and most(if not all) FP sensors on the back don't require any pressing. Just a light touch would do, which actually makes it faster.

The advantage to front placed sensor, is you can use it while phone is laying on a table or on a dock/cradle.

I personally don't mind either way. But any phone in my future must have either FP within the display or on the back. Both Samsung and LG have proven that large bezels are unnecessary.

Agreed. On a somewhat related note, I do like what Samsung did with the onscreen home button, making it function like a physical button in that you can wake the device with it. It took me about a day to get used to it, but now that I am, I find it to be pretty slick.

On an unrelated note, I like the reminder feature they built into the call app. When you reject a call with a message, you can have a reminder that reminds you to call them back later on. For me, that little feature is VERY beneficial, as I am bad about forgetting to call people back.

Reactions: Demo Kit

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
For one-handed use front FPS with things like electronic payment feels insecure like I'm about to drop a $900 phone. That's why I don't use payment with front FPS. I'd consider using payment with back FPS since I have a more secure grip but the best is watch since it's securely strapped on to avoid not only accidental drops but also snatches.

I think people that dismiss back FPS have developed a habit with front FPS and aren't aware of other ways to unlock phone sitting on a surface without having to pick it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit and jamezr

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Can anyone confirm it's another round of lucky dip with Sony or Isocell for the sensors?

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

But the front sensor is at the bottom so you need to move/twist your thumb to unlock single handed. less effort with back sensor.

Agree somewhat if you use your phone while it is lying on the table.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
But the front sensor is at the bottom so you need to move/twist your thumb to unlock single handed. less effort with back sensor.

Agree somewhat if you use your phone while it is lying on the table.

Right. Also, another often overlooked feature is the smart lock. With the smart lock, I don't really do a ton of unlocking my phone anyway. I have it set to stay unlocked at home, when in the car, and when I'm carrying it on my person. With those settings, I don't have it locked very often anyway. The only time my phone is locked typically, is when I leave it laying on a table when I'm out somewhere, and I rarely ever leave my phone laying around if I'm not at home (that's a great way to have it stolen).

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
No need for an emotional reply, as it doesn't require all that. Nothing that was said should have solicited such a reply. My fingerprint has a permanet scar down the middle of it, and it still gets read perfectly. As I stated earlier, the iris scan is so fast that many times, I don't even see the lock screen at all. Put simply, I have found much of what you said to be untrue in my experiences. Sorry that seems to bother you so much, but it is what it is. For example, what I said about the camera. iPhone has produced blurs and unfocused shots when attempting to snap a quick photo as I'm passing by in a vehicle. I don't have that problem with the S8 at all. Text remarkably easy to read on the S8 (due to the hi-res display), and is markedly better than on the iPhone....and let's not even get into overall screen quality. It's just not close. All in all, my experiences are quite different from yours, and some of what you stated just gives me pause (and questions). No need to be emotional about it, it simply is what it is.
Now you're doing the patronizing thing of denying you were insulting my honesty and now are being dismissive by calling me emotional. A common tactic I've seen on this forum, so fine, we can agree we don't need to communicate further and I am out of this thread.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Spooky photo, the S8+ photo is the only one that doesn't look like a video game screen shot.

A better phone camera comparison.

The main take .... They all have strengths and weaknesses ...

However that's not a popular thing to acknowledge on the alternatives forum where it's seemingly easier to twist everything and post videos which suit/fit whatever is the most current popularist agenda or for some folks on he7e, posted merely to continue a futile ongoing personal vendetta's against a brand.

Seriously just enjoy your devices folks, what does it matter about another product if you are truly comfortable & happy with your current device / purchase regardless of where or who made it.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
A better phone camera comparison.

Yea, I seen that one. I really hope Samsung goes for a wide angle dual camera for the Note 8, and with great quality. As nice as the iP7+ 2x optical zoom is, I never used it much, and it mostly goes digital zoom indoors. I like using the V20 wide lens, but the quality was crap 90% of the time.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yea, I seen that one. I really hope Samsung goes for a wide angle dual camera for the Note 8, and with great quality. As nice as the iP7+ 2x optical zoom is, I never used it much, and it mostly goes digital zoom indoors. I like using the V20 wide lens, but the quality was crap 90% of the time.

Yeah if they stick a wide angle lens in the Note 8 as a secondary camera and move the FP either down or to the front (under the glass) the N8 along with its S-Pen it will be one amazing handset in fairness.

My only concern over the N8 would be device size wise, in that will they make it bigger than the S8+ which I know a lot of you like, but felt much too big for me when i tried it couple days ago. The Notes have generally always been bigger, so bigger than 6.2" would be massively tall (unless they choose a different aspect ratio for the Note device).

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I don't know. I didn't download that app to test it. I didn't want to go through that TSMC vs Samsung SOX type of question again.

I am going to see what I have to go through to send this phone back. When I posted here earlier it was from my iPad.

The last few days since I got mg S8+ it has been raining and dark out so all of my usage so far was in indoor lighting conditions. The sun has finally come out and I'm on the forum in a room lit by skylights and the display is worse than i realized.

I don't know if the pink tint has creeped up to take over or if the lighting now makes it worse but the pink is really overtaking the edges. It's not the extreme edges anymore where I can ignore it. It's about 3/4 of a centimeter in from the right margin and half a centimeter in from the left margin. If I look straight at it, it doesn't bother me but when I'm trying to type on this forum or read it the pink sort of punches me in the peripheral vision and as a person prone to migraines I can't take this. Turning the display completely upside down leaves the bigger pink edge consistently in place so I don't think it's a product of how the light is hitting and retracting from the edges.

The center is a pleasing shade of white.

I'm really disappointed and I have so much else to deal with right now with my parents and in-laws making demands on my time, so I really do not want to be dealing with trying to get a return processed through Samsung. I should have gone ahead and signed up for that new insurance thing they've got going on. But I had to listen to my husband who is averse to such things for some reason. Grr. Sigh.

I'll try to get a pic of what's going on for you all. Just give me a bit because I have a lot going on around here getting ready to go back to my dad's house yet again. I'll try to snap and post a pic under the skylights before I leave.
My experience with yellow tint on iPhone and Nexus has taught me that whenever I find out a part of the screen somewhere has yellow tint I am not able to "unnotice" it again and it seems like it gets worse each day. I did quite a few exchanges of my 6 because of this. I hope Samsung sorts out the issue in a software update if its not hardware related like they say

Last edited:

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
All in all, my experiences are quite different from yours, and some of what you stated just gives me pause (and questions). No need to be emotional about it, it simply is what it is.

Sorry, but I trust Grumpy's opinion more than yours, especially after these last posts. It's quite obvious your either biased againts apple or for Samsung.

It's also quite possible she got a lemon, which is evident by the pink screen. Her complaints have been resonable, so I don't see why the need to question her statements.

As a side note, from her recent posts, she has been dealing with family and a funeral this week, so it may not be best to say "No need to be emotional".

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

I was having an issue with the FP, not in finding it, but the pressure required for recognition. Then I realised I had scanned my index finger (twice) with the case off. I deleted these 2 scans and re scanned with case inplace and it's very good now.

As others note drawing your phone from your pocket or even getting into the habit of face down on the table makes it a very simple operation which is boosted with a case IMO.

I have just got to get the IS position right I find when it does not work and I swipe so the mask appears it shows that I am scanning my forehead not my eyes LOL

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Yeah if they stick a wide angle lens in the Note 8 as a secondary camera and move the FP either down or to the front (under the glass) the N8 along with its S-Pen it will be one amazing handset in fairness.

My only concern over the N8 would be device size wise, in that will they make it bigger than the S8+ which I know a lot of you like, but felt much too big for me when i tried it couple days ago. The Notes have generally always been bigger, so bigger than 6.2" would be massively tall (unless they choose a different aspect ratio for the Note device).
Yeah, I'm excited about the next Note, but I really hope it doesn't get too tall. Would love it if it was the same size as the Note 4 or 5 and was all screen. I hope They find a way of shrinking the top and bottom bezels.

Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
what a beast, the battery in my S8.
Yesterday morning I woke up at 0415 AM, due to an early shift. Unplugged my phone and after a very intensive used day with my S8, at 1130PM when I went to bed, still 17%.

I see a lot people doing almost everything to squeeze out the highest SOT/standby time. To be honest, I dont care. As long I can use my phone for a complete day without recharging once during the day, I am more then satisfied.

Never understood the paranoia about getting the highest possible SOT out of a phone ;)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I wouldn't mind if it's the same exact length as the S8+ but slightly thicker and slightly wider. I'm not looking for a huge one up in display size. The days of display size distinction of the S vs Note lines are over.

I think even Samsung knows, making the screen any taller than the S8+ would hurt sales. Too tall is just simply to tall, I don't see "preference" being a factor in that. Can they make it slightly wider? Just maybe, since the Note line was never meant for one handed usage, and Samsung surely needs to distinguish the Note line from the S line besides just the S-Pen. I'm hoping for a large capacity battery. Like a 4200mAh.

Reactions: MRU

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Sorry, but I trust Grumpy's opinion more than yours, especially after these last posts. It's quite obvious your either biased againts apple or for Samsung.

It's also quite possible she got a lemon, which is evident by the pink screen. Her complaints have been resonable, so I don't see why the need to question her statements.

As a side note, from her recent posts, she has been dealing with family and a funeral this week, so it may not be best to say "No need to be emotional".

Lol thanks for your unsolicited declaration of who's opinion you trust more. To that, I'd say... Sorry, but I don't really care, who's opinion you "trust" more. In short, I've found much of what she said, to be quite the opposite of what I've found to be true. You can call it whatever type of bias you want, but at the end of the day, I find it to be false. As for what's going on in her personal life? I don't have anything to do with that, and an not the least but concerned about it either. That has nothing to do with me or my replies on here.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wouldn't mind if it's the same exact length as the S8+ but slightly thicker and slightly wider. I'm not looking for a huge one up in display size. The days of display size distinction of the S vs Note lines are over.

I think even Samsung knows, making the screen any taller than the S8+ would hurt sales. Too tall is just simply to tall, I don't see "preference" being a factor in that. Can they make it slightly wider? Just maybe, since the Note line was never meant for one handed usage, and Samsung surely needs to distinguish the Note line from the S line besides just the S-Pen. I'm hoping for a large capacity battery. Like a 4200mAh.
Yeah for writing / S-Pen input 16:9 would suit better than 18:9 as 16:9 is closer to Leaf/A4 paper aspect ratio wise. As you say the Note range by their nature are designed with two hands in mind. (One hand on device, the other the S-Pen).

Little wider and as you say a 4000+ mAh battery would be a great boost, though not sure they will be able to that as we still have issue that the pen dock takes up physical space inside the device.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Can anyone confirm it's another round of lucky dip with Sony or Isocell for the sensors?

Not possible to confirm either way, but mine has the Sony sensor on both ends ( per AIDA64 ) .. Reading on some other forums ( Android Central, XDA.. ) seems like it's Sony for the US market.

Reactions: spriter

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Okay I took this with my iPhone and all it shows is that I'm blind and insane because the pink halo is NOT showing up at all in the photo. Well I can make it out faintly but that's only because in person I know what I'm looking for and where it is. I do not expect anyone here to see what I'm complaining about. So I would have to reverse myself and wonder if it IS a refraction problem. Or my eyes are effed up. This is frustrating. The photo was taken in one of my bathrooms that has a sola tube. The sun is shining too brightly into the kitchen to replicate the conditions I had earlier.

My S7 Edge does also have very minimal pink edging at the extreme edges. Obviously that has never bothered me. My S7 does not have them at all. It could be a light refraction problem due to the Edge curves. I'm hardly an expert and not even sure I'm using the right terminology so it's all just guessing.

View attachment 697279

I have a pair of vari focals that have a coating that seems to enhance anything red, which can be spectacular and pleasing at times and makes greens somewhat washed out, so I hope it's not your specs making it worse than it may be. But I'm sure you have something :)

I'm lucky with my S8 but my S7E had a strong green tinge on the edges which was more of a refraction thing making it worse

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

I'd really like Sammy to flatten the screen for the N8.. As much as I'm enjoying the S8+, the edge seems a waste of usable (precious) space, IMO. The 6.2" screen size is perfect as far as I can tell.

Also, TW ( that's what it is.. regardless of what they wanna name it now ) is still a RAM hog.. So, the Galaxy devices could really use 6GB RAM!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Not possible to confirm either way, but mine has the Sony sensor on both ends ( per AIDA64 ) .. Reading on some other forums ( Android Central, XDA.. ) seems like it's Sony for the US market.
I highly doubt it would be one or the other for each territory (unlike the CPU/GPU segregation). It will likely be much like every previous year, where both are used in any territory and it's as much pot luck as to which you get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.