Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
That is not my experience at all. I always had less battery on the iPhone 6S+ and 7+ vs the S7 edge, Note 7, and now the S8+, when gaming, watching video, and etc.

And what tests are you speaking of? What is better? If you're speaking about the Youtube vlogs of people opening a mass amount of apps at once, that's 100x worst of a test than the battery test you call unrealistic.
[doublepost=1492893722][/doublepost]

I posted the link above. There are many other tests. Like I said, I carry both with me side by side. S7 Edge drains much faster.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-and-S8-battery-life-test-result-is-out_id92744
[doublepost=1492894713][/doublepost]Looking at my S7 Edge right now that I haven't used only a couple of times reading emails, is already down to 77%. I've used my iPhone 7 plus a lot more today with phone calls, text, emails, facebook, etc and its only down too 89%. Both unplugged at the same time this morning at 8am.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I love screen protectors. Got one for my S7E and it's perfect, think I've only ever had one phone without it.

Never get glass ones, too unresponsive. Sometimes it takes a couple of months for the best ones to come out.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
My device is on the warm side as well. Im currently using it on adaptive display with zero Red and Green values and I still see it a little warm.

The display calibration is what has me doubting the device; colors are too saturated. I know it's the adaptive display profile that's causing it, but it's the only profile you can tweak the RGB values to make the display cool.

I don't care for the edge display either; although I'm used to it already, I prefer a flat screen.

Is there an app out there that will allow me to mess with The RGB values with other profiles?

I can only notice the difference in comparison. If I'm sitting in from the the computer and using my phone -- eyes going from one screen to the other -- I can tell it's warmer. But on its own it looks correctly balanced. So, I'm not concerned. If they can make it a little cooler with the upcoming update that sounds great to me.

Have you compared your S8 to others to see if it's different?

mrskullfreak

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
michigan north detroit
Seen the phones in person today definitely I should of got the plus but I didn't and am coming from the 7plus.
I ordered from Samsung on the 20th and it won't let me cancel on the website plus I would loose the free VR so hopefully the regular s8 will be good for me.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
It is though. I carry both with my. S7 Edge, and IP7+, and I use my iPhone a ton. My work phone I barely use while at work. It drains down to 50-60% by the evening while I still have 70% on my iPhone which I used at least 80% more than the S7 Edge.

But the video test is flawed, because no one is keeping their screen on all day. In real life, the IP7+ doing everything you say it does better than my S7 Edge by a long shot. All test results prove it does better. So I am not sure how you say yours doesn't. You are the only person I have seen say that.
[doublepost=1492892724][/doublepost]Like I said, I use both side by side, the S7 edge can't touch my ip7+ in daily use.

I'm getting home from work with 70 to 80 percent battery on my s7 edge, admittedly I'm not using the phone much as I'm actually doing work but I use it during break time and to take photos of faults and googling standards/regulations etc..

My colleague on the other hand, she has an iPhone 7+ and spends a lot of time on Facebook, even when she's not supposed to be on Facebook lol.
I've seen her charging her phone occasionally, so I'm guessing she's not getting home with 70-80% battery life....

I guess your and mine experience aren't the same and there are always exceptions but the battery life on my S7 edge is nothing short of amazing really, I'm not sure if having an exynos makes a difference .
Anyway, these anecdotal comparisons always seem different...

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJUAE

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
I'm getting home from work with 70 to 80 percent battery on my s7 edge, admittedly I'm not using the phone much as I'm actually doing work but I use it during break time and to take photos of faults and googling standards/regulations etc..

My colleague on the other hand, she has an iPhone 7+ and spends a lot of time on Facebook, even when she's not supposed to be on Facebook lol.
I've seen her charging her phone occasionally, so I'm guessing she's not getting home with 70-80% battery life....

I guess your and mine experience aren't the same and there are always exceptions but the battery life on my S7 edge is nothing short of amazing really, I'm not sure if having an exynos makes a difference .
Anyway, these anecdotal comparisons always sremvti differ...
Yeah, lunch time is when I get to use mine the most during a work day. My work phone gets used with emails during my work day and thats about it. But i've owned the S7 Edge for a year now, and it's never been as good as my 6s plus I had or now the 7 plus. I will say however, the signal in our building is bad, with only 1 bar. Androids hurt more with signals that bad for battery life.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Could it maybe be possible that the more you use the unlocking via the iris scanner, the phone recoginizes your irises faster over time?

Cause I surely notice difference between yesterday and today (both during normal daylight). Today its really much faster/quicker.

For me personally, the iris scanner feels like a real big fat homerun by Samsung

Yes. I believe I've read that it gets better over time with more use. If I remember right.

Reactions: Geert76

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Got fed up with having a case and screen protector on it. The glass screen protector doesn't fit completely flush so some taps aren't registered unless you push with serious intent. My cases ruin the feel of it.

I do have one accessory though
5HHbhlM.jpg

:p

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
The more I use my new S8+ the more I like it. It has such a nice big screen, but it's still a very manageable phone. The iris scanner works great. Even the fingerprint reader isn't that bad once you get used to it. It's almost easier for me to use compared to the narrow one on the front of my S7 edge.

This product will make people forgot about the Note 7 disaster and I can't wait to see what they do with the Note 8.

Cupertino start your copiers.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The amount of display packed into such a compact S8+ chassis is ridiculous.

It's an absolute Marvel of engineering at work. When you hold the phone it feels tiny and wonderfully ergonomic.

It's hard not to be more than impressed.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Samsung keyboard is optional. You should be able to use any USB or BT keyboard/mouse.
Thanks, I was not even looking at a Sammy one, but I did pop in to a Samsung store that did not even have any KB's :rolleyes:, here (UAE) they only seemed to have BT KB with both English and Arabic keys (dual) and the characters get a bit squashed. Will have another look today :)

Always like Lisa's reviews:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
More stuff?? Care to explain?

Not trying to be rude. Don't need to because it's subjective since I said "for me" when I typed my last post.
[doublepost=1492924691][/doublepost]https://imgur.com/a/nCTD0

Here are a few screenshots from my 9 hrs or so of battery usage. Not much good to show for. Had Wifi on all day, AOD enabled, no location or bluetooth, auto brightness enabled, edge lighting on, WQHD+, 45 minutes of music from Samsung Music, texts, web browsing, weak signal in my area, no NFC enabled.

Ask away if you need more settings info. I think edge lighting being always enabled drains the battery too much, but gotta test that out.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

I'll list one ( of many ) thing that iOS (iPhone) cannot do .. Split Screen.

Example : Using the Navigation, and another app on the same screen. Even better now with larger (taller) devices like the S8 and S8+

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Not trying to be rude. Don't need to because it's subjective since I said "for me" when I typed my last post.

It's not as if I'm attacking your stance. And I did notice you mention "for me" in your post.

I was just hoping you could elaborate on it, that all. You have both the iPhone 7 Plus and the newest Galaxy phone. I plan on getting the Galaxy s8+, but I'm still on the fences... simply because of everything to do with Apple lol.

I got a iPhone 7 Plus, gonna give the Galaxy s8+ a run through... then I'll see if it can win me over.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'll list one ( of many ) thing that iOS (iPhone) cannot do .. Split Screen.

Example : Using the Navigation, and another app on the same screen. Even better now with larger (taller) devices like the S8 and S8+

Yeah... I thought about that.

But now Android Nougat supports that. But then I think w/ Galaxy devices they can do multiple windows meaning not just two... if I'm not mistaken.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Anyone used/tried DeX I nearly got one yesterday but the BT KB's here were dual language ?
They are unavailable until sometime in May in the US.
[doublepost=1492931461][/doublepost]
Custom ringtones without the need to plug the phone into a computer and load iTunes.
Put icons anywhere you want on a screen.
Ability to use split screen.
Access to BT 5.0 and LTE-U.
Better screens.
Ability to dl any file from the internet and place it into any folder i choose on the phone. (You know, like a computer)

Just few items listed off the top of my head.

Reactions: Lava Lamp Freak

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
Getting ready to visit my parents and spend the rest of the day chilling out with my phone while my poor husband tries to salvage stiff off of dad's broke computer.

I already got to sit and read on it a bit and definitely notice the pink "halo around the display now. Samsung will supposedly issue a software fix but I don't know how that's going to fix a halo vs the uniform pink hue I think is more of a problem. I ordered directly from Samsung and am not planning to go through the bother of a return for a flaw I think is oddly pretty. I was more worried about the display skewing murky and aqua like my husband's Note 7's did. That was ghastly. My husband has the halo on his display, too and thinks it is just from the curvature of the glass and not a defect per se. I really would prefer a flat display, but I think for Samsung that ship has sailed.

I followed MRU's suggestion and bumped up the resolution to maximum and print does look nicer. Like ink on paper. But it was good the other way, too. Ok gotta run. Ttyl

I've got the pink/red tint around the top 1/3rds of my screen and along the top. I was initially gonna wait to see if the software update fixes this but as it only affects certain parts of the screen I don't see how it will fix it, it's got to be a hardware problem.

Really disappointed by this as the rest of the phone is awesome and I really like it but what's the point in having all the bells and whistles if the screen ain't right?

I'm exchanging mine for another unit as for a premium flagship phone to have this issue is unacceptable to me when you consider how much they charge for them.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.