Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
∆ plus the video is xeetechcare. Let's just take the findings with more that a heaped teaspoon of salt ...

Battery test results can have a big variance depending on what type of tests are carried out.

Obviously 7+ will lose out to s8+ in video playback due to the amoled screen. But if it web browsing then 7+ will not lose out.

As long as the phone can last a full day active use then that's good enough battery life. I think s8 or s8+ have no problem doing that.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Which processor does European market have?

Also, I have changed between FHD and WQHD - haven't noticed ANY difference lol, can anyone tell me what it is? I understand higher res but what difference does it make to the phone, apart from potential battery life?

One last thing, having moved from iOS can someone advise if there is a way of turning off the Android version of background app refresh? Basically I don't want Facebook to tell me I have notifications (I have turned notifications off but I still get the 1 or 2 on to icon)

Can't imagine anything taxing the GPU but, for example, if you want higher frames per second on Sky Force nightmare level with tons of objects on the screen then lowering the resolution will help.

To turn off notifications completely per app you can usually do it through app manager, select app, notifications and disable all notifications.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Which processor does European market have?

Also, I have changed between FHD and WQHD - haven't noticed ANY difference lol, can anyone tell me what it is? I understand higher res but what difference does it make to the phone, apart from potential battery life?

One last thing, having moved from iOS can someone advise if there is a way of turning off the Android version of background app refresh? Basically I don't want Facebook to tell me I have notifications (I have turned notifications off but I still get the 1 or 2 on to icon)

Thanks
Euro - exynos

I explained earlier re resolution.

Look at it this way. Your phone is ALWAYS lighting up the full display regardless of resolution. It takes the same power to light up that display if it's running FHD or WQHD, the only saving would be in GPU/CPU which are taxed less when running FHD. But ... 99% of the stuff you do on your mobile will not be taxing the GPU/CPU enough unless you are a heavy gamer to actually make enough of a difference that you would notice increased battery life. Whereas by running at a less than Native resolution FHD you are always going to get less than the optimal image quality meaning that you are being more negatively affected by running at lower resolution for your Facebook, Twitter and normal smart phone app usages than you gain power efficiency wise by doing so.

It's why you are not noticing much difference at all, because your not taxing the GPU/CPU enough and your device is still illuminating ALL pixels regardless.

You would get FAR better battery if you just switch to a dark theme, have a pitch black wallpaper to save lighting up pixels and adjust your brightness down a little, than you ever get running at sub-optimum res.

Last edited:

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
Can't imagine anything taxing the GPU but, for example, if you want higher frames per second on Sky Force nightmare level with tons of objects on the screen then lowering the resolution will help.

To turn off notifications completely per app you can usually do it through app manager, select app, notifications and disable all notifications.

I've turned off notifications, and I don't get them per se, I don't get notifications on the screen but do get the badge icons to say I have a notifications or messages on Facebook or some other app

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Maybe this is a stupid question, but aside from VR is there a point to switching to WQHD+?

If you want to enjoy videos at 1440p quality (or whatever the video quality is with the new aspect ratio), people would have it at max capacity.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I'm using Nova because I want to use an icon pack and I don't like the paginated app drawer. Also, I prefer the look of Nova (Pixel launcher). In this screenshot I'm using Delux UX Icon Pack.

So, REAL reason: The same reason people have always used custom launchers.

nice icon set! Gonna try that one...thanks!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Maybe this is a stupid question, but aside from VR is there a point to switching to WQHD+?
Why would you not is the bigger question ?

Because viewing text or any content at native resolution in this case WQHD+ will always be sharper.

Take your laptop or desktop monitor and turn the resolution down, the resulting image will be softer and blurrier. The same applies to viewing FHD as default on a WQHD display.

A display always looks at it's best running at it's native resolution.

For pretty much everything you would be better running at WQHD and just drop down if you want more gaming performance and switch back afterwards.

Samsung wisely used to reserve the resolution adjustment to it's 'game centre' application, where it was actually of use and an appropriate place. The decision to move it to settings led to a lot of missunderstanding from users about it's effectiveness and the option on the S8 to make it the default setting is very odd IMO and only leads to further confusion and misunderstood benefits which are as I have said mostly negligible outside of gaming,and even then it's questionable benefit wise as instead of battery efficiency, it may just improve game framerate rather than battery life.

Last edited:

Kiezpirat80

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Germany
S8 Black in Alcantara Case with PixelizeD Theme
dbc6bcaa622809d87a659bbd7934a71f.jpg

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
For those who have the 'red tint' screen', who's confident it will be fixed with the software update next week?

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Could it maybe be possible that the more you use the unlocking via the iris scanner, the phone recoginizes your irises faster over time?

Cause I surely notice difference between yesterday and today (both during normal daylight). Today its really much faster/quicker.

For me personally, the iris scanner feels like a real big fat homerun by Samsung

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
With how well hands-free iris scanner works and more secure I can see fingerprint going away like bezels and home button.

I don't think I've seen this question answered yet but if it has and I missed it, my apologies.

Can iris scan be used in place of FP sensor for app security, i.e. financial apps and most important for me, password managers? I can get by not using it to unlock my phone but I use the FP dozens of times a day for apps, 1Password, and tap-to-pay and that's my real obstacle to dealing with a terribly positioned FP sensor.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
As long as you don't zoom in or display on a large screen monitor.

True, but zooming in "digital zoom" is a fake zoom anyways. But displaying on large screens isn't that bad.

I still recall recently using the 4s via apple tv to Airplay pics on a 60" TV and it looked fine, some of the pics were quite stunning even with a camera that old.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
But this YouTube shows s8+ obliterated 7+ in battery life test.

But that video is not true real life. The IP7+ kills all phones including the s8 plus in battery life.

In real world use, the standby time is a huge factor. Android drains much faster just idling than IOS. I owned both the S7 Edge and IP7+ and the S7 edge can't touch my iPhone in battery life.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-and-S8-battery-life-test-result-is-out_id92744

Who uses their phone straight with the display on the whole time. Not a valid test. Real world usage which includes standby time while it's in your pocket and you aren't using it is a factor.

Attachments

• 1e1c294f7c592bfd96754732d88e2ce6.jpg
    1e1c294f7c592bfd96754732d88e2ce6.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 123

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
Seems like the S8+ is the more popular option. I might as well have gone that one, but didn't want to pay up $ up front tbh. Hope the S8's battery life will be good long term.

I prefer the S8 plus too. So far this two days I'm playing with this phone non stop. Battery seems good so far.

Reactions: nviz22

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I don't think I've seen this question answered yet but if it has and I missed it, my apologies.

Can iris scan be used in place of FP sensor for app security, i.e. financial apps and most important for me, password managers? I can get by not using it to unlock my phone but I use the FP dozens of times a day for apps, 1Password, and tap-to-pay and that's my real obstacle to dealing with a terribly positioned FP sensor.

No, the app have to be written to include reading from iris scan on top of the FP scan. You can't use any biometrics in place of another.

Reactions: MRU and tbayrgs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.