Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I ended up just doing a factory reset to just get that crap off of there.

Advice to all, don't go to dev-host for anything.

Reactions: MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am so impressed by this phone. More than I thought I would be. It is so feature and design rich. Samsung has a real winner in the S8+. The battery has been impressive as I am getting right around 6 hours SOT and have 20% battery left at the end of my day so can't complain there! The phone is very responsive with no lag at all....Samsung has really improved the whole user experience except for that dang FPS.

Most of you can remember how I have not been a fan of the curved displays. But on the S8+ i really don't notice it at all. I have not had any false touches so far.

If there was 2 things I could change on the S8+ .....
I would move the FPS to below the camera and make it round and make the phone just a little bit wider...but not by much.
Taking a little 4x4 trip to the mountains later so will take some pics.....

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Refunded my glass screen protector that was basically rubbish.
Ended up with a TechGuard one that is the plasticy feeling one.

Absolutd nightmare to put on. A colleague who is really good at them ended up putting it on and did a cracking job, but i just cant get on with it. Didn't like it at all.

So that's come off too. Only cost £2 on staff discount so can't complain too much.

Looks like my screen will be nekkid as the day God made it for the foreseeable then.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I am so impressed by this phone. More than I thought I would be. It is so feature and design rich. Samsung has a real winner in the S8+. The battery has been impressive as I am getting right around 6 hours SOT and have 20% battery left at the end of my day so can't complain there! The phone is very responsive with no lag at all....Samsung has really improved the whole user experience except for that dang FPS.

Most of you can remember how I have not been a fan of the curved displays. But on the S8+ i really don't notice it at all. I have not had any false touches so far.

If there was 2 things I could change on the S8+ .....
I would move the FPS to below the camera and make it round and make the phone just a little bit wider...but not by much.
Taking a little 4x4 trip to the mountains later so will take some pics.....
They really focused a lot on the little details on the software side this time around for sure!

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Seems like the S8+ is the more popular option. I might as well have gone that one, but didn't want to pay up $ up front tbh. Hope the S8's battery life will be good long term.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Refunded my glass screen protector that was basically rubbish.
Ended up with a TechGuard one that is the plasticy feeling one.

Absolutd nightmare to put on. A colleague who is really good at them ended up putting it on and did a cracking job, but i just cant get on with it. Didn't like it at all.

So that's come off too. Only cost £2 on staff discount so can't complain too much.

Looks like my screen will be nekkid as the day God made it for the foreseeable then.
Your experience essentially is the exact same thing I've been through with the previous 3 edge devices I had. It's just a shame we have to take a gamble/risk to benefit from the screen.

I'm going to see on Friday what the anytime upgrade price is of the S8 and if they offer me a couple hundred off the €799 price I'll snap one up. The orchid grey. But only of I get that anytime discount.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I have to agree at how impressive the phone is.

It literally seems like an engineering marvel, although there are just a couple of things that let it down. Finger print scanner is obviously the biggest issue, or at least it is for me.
I'm also a bit disappointed with the battery. It's still a very good battery and i get a lot of juice out of it, but i guess when you've got used to an iPhone 7 Plus, a lot will pale in comparison.

It's still very very impressive though.

Can't really put it down. Love the thing way more than i thought i was going to.

Reactions: AppleRobert and MRU

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Your experience essentially is the exact same thing I've been through with the previous 3 edge devices I had. It's just a shame we have to take a gamble/risk to benefit from the screen.

I'm going to see on Friday what the anytime upgrade price is of the S8 and if they offer me a couple hundred off the €799 price I'll snap one up. The orchid grey. But only of I get that anytime discount.

Ask them if they have the frequent purchaser discount too ;):p.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ask them if they have the frequent purchaser discount too ;):p.
Lol .... Stop. I'm bad enough as it is.

What I was going to say is when I had my handson with the S8 in Dublin you could clearly tell devices were at FHD rather than QHD. Honestly the softness is horrible to me and the power saved (if power efficiency was the decision to implement it as default) outside of gaming would be negligible as just because it's running at a lower resolution, it's still lighting up all QHD pixels. The only saving would be on CPU/GPU side and outside of gaming things like Twitter, Calendar, YouTube etc all do not tax the CPU/GPU enough to gain benefit running at a lower resolution.

It's a strange choice of Samsung to essentially present their best screen in such a default gimped manner. But then the Bixby button and fingerprint scanner show they are not averse to strange decisions.

I didn't like adaptive display mode, but once I changed to basic it looked really great even if the white point did veer a little too warm in basic mode.

Reactions: tbayrgs

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Lol .... Stop. I'm bad enough as it is.

What I was going to say is when I had my handson with the S8 in Dublin you could clearly tell devices were at FHD rather than QHD. Honestly the softness is horrible to me and the power saved (if power efficiency was the decision to implement it as default) outside of gaming would be negligible as just because it's running at a lower resolution, it's still lighting up all QHD pixels. The only saving would be on CPU/GPU side and outside of gaming things like Twitter, Calendar, YouTube etc all do not tax the CPU/GPU enough to gain benefit running at a lower resolution.

It's a strange choice of Samsung to essentially present their best screen in such a default gimped manner. But then the Bixby button and fingerprint scanner show they are not averse to strange decisions.

I didn't like adaptive display mode, but once I changed to basic it looked really great even if the white point did veer a little too warm in basic mode.

I'll bet part of the rationale is VR. Put as many pixels as you can for VR, but be able to scale back and save battery for every day use.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I'm also a bit disappointed with the battery. It's still a very good battery and i get a lot of juice out of it, but i guess when you've got used to an iPhone 7 Plus, a lot will pale in comparison.

It's still very very impressive though.

Can't really put it down. Love the thing way more than i thought i was going to.

But this YouTube shows s8+ obliterated 7+ in battery life test.

Reactions: jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
About Bluetooth stutter using Apple Music... I have had that problem from day one with my Note 7, my first S7 loaner, my S7 Edge, my current S7, and if I'm not mistaken, my HTC 10. I'll need to test the HTC 10 again and get back to you all on that when I have the opportunity. We are still spending time with extended family for the rest of the weekend but I can test in a couple of days.

The only device I can be absolutely sure of not having trouble with playing Apple Music over a Bluetooth speaker is an iPhone. Hmm...imagine that.

So far, playing Amazon music via Bluetooth on the ALT headphones has been smooth.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I think with this new S8 and the stock launcher there's actually not (a) real productive reason(s) for Nova Launcher. Everything is so smooth with the stock launcher.
You got a lot options to change/adjust in stock launcher which we did not have with the S7.

For what REAL productive reason(s) are you still using Nova launcher on your S8??

I'm using Nova because I want to use an icon pack and I don't like the paginated app drawer. Also, I prefer the look of Nova (Pixel launcher). In this screenshot I'm using Delux UX Icon Pack.

So, REAL reason: The same reason people have always used custom launchers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170421-175340.png
    Screenshot_20170421-175340.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 159

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Also i just want to give a little shout out to Samsung's web browser, which i find really nice to use and navigate.

Chrome is not my favourite, and it always struck me as being quite resource hungry, but not getting that same impression from Samsung's browser.

I also like that the home button is on the bottom row along with a button to shoot you back to the top of a web page. More great stuff Samsung. *thumbs up.

Yeesh, sounds like I'm turning into a right fan boy! :p:D

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Also i just want to give a little shout out to Samsung's web browser, which i find really nice to use and navigate.

Chrome is not my favourite, and it always struck me as being quite resource hungry, but not getting that same impression from Samsung's browser.

I also like that the home button is on the bottom row along with a button to shoot you back to the top of a web page. More great stuff Samsung. *thumbs up.

Yeesh, sounds like I'm turning into a right fan boy! :p:D

I also enjoy the features of the Samsung browser. I read an article on The Next Web yesterday that stated, "Samsung Browser, for example, is nowhere near as good as Google Chrome." I have no idea what they're referring to that is so much better about Chrome.

https://thenextweb.com/apps/2017/04...rs-will-get-souped-version-google-play-music/

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
Which processor does European market have?

Also, I have changed between FHD and WQHD - haven't noticed ANY difference lol, can anyone tell me what it is? I understand higher res but what difference does it make to the phone, apart from potential battery life?

One last thing, having moved from iOS can someone advise if there is a way of turning off the Android version of background app refresh? Basically I don't want Facebook to tell me I have notifications (I have turned notifications off but I still get the 1 or 2 on to icon)

Thanks

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What resolution is everyone using? I switched to WQHD+ and haven't noticed much worse battery life. I have chargers everywhere so I am going all in with options this year. :)
As i said earlier if your not taxing the GPU/CPU with really heavy tasks then running at WQHD+ over FHD+ would be negligible difference wise, which is why it's perplexing for Samsung to choose the lower resolution as the default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.