Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
How much is it for the dry film? Does the tempered glass cover edge to edge? I ordered one from Xtremeguard on sale, but it looks like crap and I might cancel my order:

http://www.xtremeguard.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Screen-Protector-p/galaxy_s8_screen_protector.htm

Look at the one for "edge to edge." It's 93% off, so I wouldn't pay like $100 for a screen protector.

Here are the other options:

https://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Prote...75&sr=1-4&keywords=galaxy+s8+screen+protector

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Co...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=THZRAVM3HESJ5ZFNM0BE
When it comes to Edge designed phones, there is nothing I have found worth spending money on, in terms of screen protectors. Too many cons and not enough pros for any single one out there. Just go naked.

Reactions: jamezr and Klyster

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The one thing I'm having a hard time adjusting to is the navigation buttons. They're so ugly.

I think they are growing on me. I didn't quite like them at first but I'm on board now. Hey, I couldn't stand the S8 when the first accurate leaks came out, either. I much preferred the look of the LG G6. It took awhile for me to warm up to all the curves.

No one got Arctic silver??
My husband did! He put it in the Samsung LED wallet case before I even got to see it, though. :mad:

I have a silver S7 Edge which was my favorite color of the previous generation. I love silver but wanted to go with something I've never seen before. That's also why I did not choose the black S8+ even though I think it's gorgeous and matches my beloved truck. I have a matte black IPhone already.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Any reports on battery life (variance between gimped and QHD display)? And how is the speaker?

Can't believe how fugly a case make these phones look - completely ruins the biggest features and selling point.

Reactions: AppleRobert

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Any reports on battery life (variance between gimped and QHD display)? And how is the speaker?

Can't believe how fugly a case make these phones look - completely ruins the biggest features and selling point.

The speaker is good and loud. It isn't quite as good as the speakers on my IPhone 7 Plus, which allows for richer sound and better separation between instruments and vocals on the test song I was playing, which was "When You Wish Upon a Star" sung by Jackie Evancho. I never played this song before, it was randomly popping up on Amazon Music as a result of me listening to Sarah Brightman, I think, but it had a good blend of clear vocals and a varied instrumental background to test with.

But it was still pretty solid, not too tinny to my ears.

Reactions: mel823 and spriter

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I think with this new S8 and the stock launcher there's actually not (a) real productive reason(s) for Nova Launcher. Everything is so smooth with the stock launcher.
You got a lot options to change/adjust in stock launcher which we did not have with the S7.

For what REAL productive reason(s) are you still using Nova launcher on your S8??
Can you get rid of screen icon text labels without Nova?
I remember seeing a sample UI shot a month or so without text.
That would be a reason for Nova for me. Text just makes the screens look messy imo.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The instructions say not to use this with babies because it will damage their eyesight. Are there any hazards for adults that you know of or read about?

Probably just extra precaution since newborns aren't fully developed.

http://www.biometric-solutions.com/iris-recognition.html

"The iris begins to form as soon as the third month of gestation, by the eighth month the structures creating the iris patterns are largely complete however pigment accretion can continue during the first postnatal years."

Iris scanner uses near infrared spectrum which is used by TV remotes since at least the 1980s. Furthermore, anything that emits heat such as sun, fire, lighting, heat lamp, camera flash, etc. emit infrared and probably at higher levels.

The LED emitter used is IEC 62471 safety standard certified and there are measures in place to limit exposure according to Samsung but with any technology you don't want to abuse it.

(Note 7 but should be similar or same for Galaxy S8)
https://news.samsung.com/global/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-galaxy-note7s-iris-scanner

Q. There’s a red light that flickers when I use the iris scanner. What is it, and isn’t it bad for my eyes?

This red light is an infrared LED, and it enables the best range for iris scanning to ensure maximum accuracy. It is completely safe to use and there are no health implications associated with the technology. It has even received the highest International Electrotechnical Commission IEC62471 certification level.

In addition, the light will automatically switch off if the device detects that your eyes are too close or exposed to the IR LED for more than nine seconds.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
How much is it for the dry film? Does the tempered glass cover edge to edge? I ordered one from Xtremeguard on sale, but it looks like crap and I might cancel my order:

http://www.xtremeguard.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Screen-Protector-p/galaxy_s8_screen_protector.htm

Look at the one for "edge to edge." It's 93% off, so I wouldn't pay like $100 for a screen protector.

Here are the other options:

https://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Prote...75&sr=1-4&keywords=galaxy+s8+screen+protector

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Co...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=THZRAVM3HESJ5ZFNM0BE

Think for these curved screens the liquid ones are gonna be the best overall option if you care about the look. It's not perfect but it'll at least strengthen the glass somewhat

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Probably just extra precaution since newborns aren't fully developed.

http://www.biometric-solutions.com/iris-recognition.html

"The iris begins to form as soon as the third month of gestation, by the eighth month the structures creating the iris patterns are largely complete however pigment accretion can continue during the first postnatal years."

Iris scanner uses near infrared spectrum which is used by TV remotes since at least the 1980s. Furthermore, anything that emits heat such as sun, fire, lighting, heat lamp, camera flash, etc. emit infrared and probably at higher levels.

The LED emitter used is IEC 62471 safety standard certified and there are measures in place to limit exposure according to Samsung but with any technology you don't want to abuse it.

(Note 7 but should be similar or same for Galaxy S8)
https://news.samsung.com/global/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-galaxy-note7s-iris-scanner

Q. There’s a red light that flickers when I use the iris scanner. What is it, and isn’t it bad for my eyes?

This red light is an infrared LED, and it enables the best range for iris scanning to ensure maximum accuracy. It is completely safe to use and there are no health implications associated with the technology. It has even received the highest International Electrotechnical Commission IEC62471 certification level.

In addition, the light will automatically switch off if the device detects that your eyes are too close or exposed to the IR LED for more than nine seconds.
Thanks so much, that's reassuring to know. The additional information about babies' eyes would likely explain why I had blue eyes as a toddler and then green and eventually brown.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
The speaker is good and loud. It isn't quite as good as the speakers on my IPhone 7 Plus, which allows for richer sound and better separation between instruments and vocals on the test song I was playing, which was "When You Wish Upon a Star" sung by Jackie Evancho. I never played this song before, it was randomly popping up on Amazon Music as a result of me listening to Sarah Brightman, I think, but it had a good blend of clear vocals and a varied instrumental background to test with.

But it was still pretty solid, not too tinny to my ears.

How's the iris scanner? Does it still make your eyes feel funny when using it or have they improved it since the Note 7?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmor...onstrously-expensive-to-produce/#55b79b8c572a

According to data from IHS Markit and published by Statista, the Samsung Galaxy S8 costs $307.50 per unit. That's a jump from last year's Galaxy S7 Edge which costs $271.20 to produce. By way of comparison, the iPhone 7 costs just $224.80 to produce, $82.70 less. The Samsung Galaxy S8 is the most expensive phone to produce currently on the market.

It looks like Samsung went "all in" on this phone. It'll be interesting if it pushes Apple to spend more on their next IPhone or if they just play it safe with an IPhone 7S.

Reactions: Demo Kit

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
Me myself have to use the fingerprint scanner or face unlock. I was born with a glaucoma and my left eye is pretty much blind and looks wherever it want's. Iris scanner won't even register irises.
I use a swiping motion from the side with the fingerprint scanner and I actually don't think that it's that bad.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
When it comes to Edge designed phones, there is nothing I have found worth spending money on, in terms of screen protectors. Too many cons and not enough pros for any single one out there. Just go naked.

Yep, I agree totally.
I haven't used a protector on my s7 edge as they don't have full adhesive and they feel terrible as I discovered with the Note 7.

I used a Samsung Clearview case which scratched my screen to shreds within a few weeks and had it replaced under warranty and haven't bothered with any protection apart from the LED cover in the weekends.

I don't have a single blemish, I'm over screen protectors, I can't remember ever dropping my phone once, part of my job requires me to sandblast numbers into glass and I haven't even scratched a phone yet.

I know a few people who constantly drop things, they should use a protector...oh that horrible sound of a phone clacking on the ground...

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
We have new curved glass screen protectors in work. Gonna pick one up now and try and fit it, see what happens. Not seen a curved glass one before so maybe this will actually be decent?

Will report back.

Reactions: MRU

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Hopefully has full adhesive, I tried a few but the adhesive was only in the edges, you could feel a gap between the protector and screen.

Reactions: jamezr and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
We have new curved glass screen protectors in work. Gonna pick one up now and try and fit it, see what happens. Not seen a curved glass one before so maybe this will actually be decent?

Will report back.
They as @Klyster said usually only have a sticky area around the edge leaving small gap between the screen and the glass and this can cause false touches or unresponsiveness itself. They also tend to have a poker dot matrix pattern to help the capacitive touch but this dot pattern is very noticeable in direct sunlight (outdoors) and just looks f'ugly.

If you do find a good one then post it as they are all pretty meh in my experience and I just don't have the nerve to run without a protector here.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
This stupid DQA keeps crashing error popup is so annoying after the update and so frequent I might literally use my iPhone until it's fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.