Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
$50 for T-Mobile's cheapest screen protector. $25 for Best Buy's cheapest screen protector. What gives with the awfully expensive options if I want to get one asap.

Reactions: 5105973

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Actually it's the pupil (black part) that constricts. The iris is the colored part, sclera is the white part--my father-in-law has been undergoing a new treatment for macular degeneration so our family got a crash course in the structure of the eye. I think the bright ambient light is a problem because it washes out the led used to illuminate the iris, but I don't know for sure.

There are two muscles in the iris, pupillary sphincter (circular) and pupillary dilator (radial), that control pupil constriction and dilation. Curious about the science behind iris scanning and why it seems to do better in low light but not bright light I observed how my iris deforms under both conditions. Of notice is the identifying features of the iris seem to be concentrated closer to the pupil and this is where it seems to deform the most under bright light constriction. As far as glasses, since the technology is IR based it's understandable that it won't work well with lenses that filter IR.

Best description of the technology so far:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/...any-behind-the-samsung-galaxy-s8-iris-scanner

Pivotal moment in mobile industry as the technology will soon be standard across other brands including Apple.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/30/smartphone-innovation-isnt-dead.html

Last edited:

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
guys I'm going in to best buy now and can't decide over the regular or the plus.

how is the battery life? that is my number 1 concern over the smaller phone
I saw one video testing the battery life between the two running games and all kinds of other apps. By the time the S8 died, the S8+ only had like 12% left. So obviously you're going to get a little better battery life on the +, but I don't think it's enough to pay $100 more for, especially if you'd rather have a smaller phone.

I'd even go further and predict that once you adapt to TouchWiz, it'll be difficult to go back to anything less. All the little extra useful features, functions, and customizations really go a long way in making the phone cater to you and your preferences.
I agree with this. That's because TouchWiz isn't nearly as ugly as it used to be, and Samsung built theming into it, so I made mine look as much like a Nexus/Pixel as possible.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
There are two muscles in the iris, pupillary sphincter (circular) and pupillary dilator (radial), that control pupil constriction and dilation. Curious about the science behind iris scanning and why it seems to do better in low light but not bright light I observed how my iris deforms under both conditions. Of notice is the identifying features of the iris seem to be concentrated closer to the pupil and this is where it seems to deform the most under bright light constriction. As far as glasses, since the technology is IR based it's understandable that it won't work well with lenses that filter IR.

Best description of the technology so far:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/...any-behind-the-samsung-galaxy-s8-iris-scanner

Pivotal moment in mobile industry as the technology will soon be standard across other brands including Apple.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/30/smartphone-innovation-isnt-dead.html
The instructions say not to use this with babies because it will damage their eyesight. Are there any hazards for adults that you know of or read about?

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I know some people don't really go by SOT but I have been pounding my S8+ again today since I woke up at 7am and im just reaching 30% with 5.5hr SOT. So my review on the battery is its a beast for what I need it for. Its honestly been getting better battery life than my 7 Plus.
I would be excited about mine (I'm at 84% and just hit 1 hour SOT a few seconds ago while also streaming music from GPM over Bluetooth for about half an hour) but my Galaxy S7 Edge was the same way when I first got it, and I get about 3.5 hours SOT now with location and sync off.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I ordered one yesterday through Samsung
It didn't say how long till it shipped tho.
I called and was on hold for 45 minutes and gave up waiting
Any ideas on when it might ship out?
Probably 2 days or less. I don't think they are backordered. Their site can be hard to navigate to find your order. Did you get a confirmation email?

Reactions: Smithwicks

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Probably 2 days or less. I don't think they are backordered. Their site can be hard to navigate to find your order. Did you get a confirmation email?

Yea, some reporting that they are getting $50-$100 from Samsung for shipping delays. But only those that ordered from Samsung direct.

Hinds90

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2017
Anyone know how to make your ME contact with all of your info emails, phone number, events, relationships? I have a contact that has all of my info but it want let me link or merge.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Saw this on another board, it came from Reddit
XVFteOF.jpg

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
$50 for T-Mobile's cheapest screen protector. $25 for Best Buy's cheapest screen protector. What gives with the awfully expensive options if I want to get one asap.
$50 is for the tempered glass screen protector at T-Mobile. That is not the cheapest at T-Mobile. The cheapest is the dry film style that we sell a ton of for every phone. Personally, the tempered glass is the only way to go.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Actually I have made the fps easier for me in so far as I do not have to poke around for it as much. I am right handed so I come in from the far left side of the s8. I find the indentation that much easier than poking around coming in from the right side or middle of the s8. Not sure why I did not think of doing this sooner.

Still have to set up the face recognition, probably that is what most will go with to tell the truth.

Edit: Duh, just turn the s8 with the back facing me and touch the fps with my finger and then turn the s8 over. Lol!
Agreed. Now that I've tried all of them, FP is actually pretty convenient. You just have to train yourself at first.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
$50 is for the tempered glass screen protector at T-Mobile. That is not the cheapest at T-Mobile. The cheapest is the dry film style that we sell a ton of for every phone. Personally, the tempered glass is the only way to go.

How much is it for the dry film? Does the tempered glass cover edge to edge? I ordered one from Xtremeguard on sale, but it looks like crap and I might cancel my order:

http://www.xtremeguard.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Screen-Protector-p/galaxy_s8_screen_protector.htm

Look at the one for "edge to edge." It's 93% off, so I wouldn't pay like $100 for a screen protector.

Here are the other options:

https://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Prote...75&sr=1-4&keywords=galaxy+s8+screen+protector

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Co...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=THZRAVM3HESJ5ZFNM0BE

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I think with this new S8 and the stock launcher there's actually not (a) real productive reason(s) for Nova Launcher. Everything is so smooth with the stock launcher.
You got a lot options to change/adjust in stock launcher which we did not have with the S7.

For what REAL productive reason(s) are you still using Nova launcher on your S8??

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
My head is exploding. It's got so many options for customization. I'm going to be spending at least a couple of days diving into all of the settings and deciding what I want to do the same as my previous Samsungs and what I want to do differently.
Yes with you on this one not sure if its the options or just interface but there is a definite extra (in a good way) that you seem to have to go through to get the best set up

I think you will even have to set it one way for a day or two just to see then opt again

Playing in a showroom for example does not give you the whole picture of how you can mould the S8(+) to your individual tastes and preferences

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.