Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Ugh, I see a little bit of a magenta tint on the top and bottom of the screen whenever I go into a bright white background. Not sure if my iPhone captures it here.
96a4303b12c60b401d553d3c919d7f01.jpg
Can't really see it...but take it back.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Anyone else use the offer to get the "fully immersive VR experience"?

I did. I pre-ordered from Samsung.com so I got the immersive bundle with my phone. I like the BT headphones and just tried out the Gear VR this morning. Pretty cool. Not sure if I'll use the memory card or try to sell it.
[doublepost=1492795183][/doublepost]
The ability to drag the shutter button right/left to zoom in/out is neat:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...04/samsung-galaxy-s8-camera-photo-tips-how-to

It is cool but it moves really fast. If I barely move the shutter it zooms way in and I have to VERY slowly move it in order to get the zoom to move slowly like I like it. I definitely like the zoom control on my iPhone 7+ better but this one will just take some getting used to.

Reactions: epicrayban

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ugh, I see a little bit of a magenta tint on the top and bottom of the screen whenever I go into a bright white background. Not sure if my iPhone captures it here.
I think I have it, too. I'm not sure. There is a pink tint is on the edge of my S7 Edge, too. So whatever this magenta pink thing people are noticing...I'm not sure what it is or if it's new. Mine is at the extreme top, bottom ,left and right periphery of the display on my two edgy Samsungs. I think it was on my Note 7's too.

Well I'm here hopping mad that my husband implemented two factor identification on my iCloud account and I can't turn it off. I can't for the life of me add my iCloud mail to my Samsung. I'm trying it manually but server authentication fails every time.

And like a dummy I enabled two factor identification on my S8+ for my Google account, but all of the codes get sent to my iPhone so I had better make sure to have both phones with me at all times.

I know I can get it all sorted but I went to bed at 3:00 am after a grueling day that included a six mile walk around D.C. Partly in the rain and 84F heat. Then had to get up at 6 am to walk the dog. I have a better chance at piloting a Klingon battle cruiser than I do at getting this phone set up right.

I almost just did what I did last time which was to simply wire my new S8 to my older Samsung and let them share everything.

But as an iPhone owner who has gotten nothing but heartache unless I set each new Apple device up as totally new...I decided to set this one up from scratch. Which is probably stupid since last time copying everything over from the older Samsung to the newer one worked just fine.

The Orchid color looks gray today in the overcast light. Last night it was purple under incandescent lighting. It really does vary according to the light. I think it's probably the coolest color I've ever had on a phone.

I need to test the camera. My iPhone 7Plus blew everyone away yesterday in getting amazing accurate photos at D.C.. It was as close to a what-you-see is-what-you-get experience as I've ever gotten on any camera in terms of accuracy of color reproduction and lighting even in ridiculously difficult circumstances of bad lighting and jostling crowds. So the S8+ is really going to have to work hard to impress me and my family now. I wish I had gotten the S8+ before our trip yesterday so I could have torture tested it against my iPhone 7Plus. Gosh I love them both so much.

In other news having nothing to do with anything I want to tell Elon Musk and Facebook to please leave my brain out of direct contact with technology. I can tell nothing good is going to come of that as I sit here trying to think about what I'm doing setting up my accounts with no caffeine in my system, just allergy meds.

Reactions: M5RahuL and MRU

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Kinda notice it on the top not so much on the bottom
Yeah, after messing with it, it seems its only apparent in certain angles. Unfortunately, I see it in the angle I use the phone. I'm still debating whether it's worth getting it exchanged; not really in the mood to go on this mission of getting the perfect device.

Luckily, the store let me keep my iPhone for the 14 days, so I can decide whether I want to keep the S8 or not; this was surprising because, I was under the impression I had to trade in the iPhone if purchased at a store.

Reactions: MRU

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I think I have it, too. I'm not sure. There is a pink tint is on the edge of my S7 Edge, too. So whatever this magenta pink thing people are noticing...I'm not sure what it is or if it's new. Mine is at the extreme top, bottom ,left and right periphery of the display on my two edgy Samsungs. I think it was on my Note 7's too.

Well I'm here hopping mad that my husband implemented two factor identification on my iCloud account and I can't turn it off. I can't for the life of me add my iCloud mail to my Samsung. I'm trying it manually but server authentication fails every time.

And like a dummy I enabled two factor identification on my S8+ for my Google account, but all of the codes get sent to my iPhone so I had better make sure to have both phones with me at all times.

I know I can get it all sorted but I went to bed at 3:00 am after a grueling day that included a six mile walk around D.C. Partly in the rain and 84F heat. Then had to get up at 6 am to walk the dog. I have a better chance at piloting a Klingon battle cruiser than I do at getting this phone set up right.

I almost just did what I did last time which was to simply wire my new S8 to my older Samsung and let them share everything.

But as an iPhone owner who has gotten nothing but heartache unless I set each new Apple device up as totally new...I decided to set this one up from scratch. Which is probably stupid since last time copying everything over from the older Samsung to the newer one worked just fine.

The Orchid color looks gray today in the overcast light. Last night it was purple under incandescent lighting. It really does vary according to the light. I think it's probably the coolest color I've ever had on a phone.

I need to test the camera. My iPhone 7Plus blew everyone away yesterday in getting amazing accurate photos at D.C.. It was as close to a what-you-see is-what-you-get experience as I've ever gotten on any camera in terms of accuracy of color reproduction and lighting even in ridiculously difficult circumstances of bad lighting and jostling crowds. So the S8+ is really going to have to work hard to impress me and my family now. I wish I had gotten the S8+ before our trip yesterday so I could have torture tested it against my iPhone 7Plus. Gosh I love them both so much.

In other news having nothing to do with anything I want to tell Elon Musk and Facebook to please leave my brain out of direct contact with technology. I can tell nothing good is going to come of that as I sit here trying to think about what I'm doing setting up my accounts with no caffeine in my system, just allergy meds.

Well fwiw two factor authentication is a great security tool

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Upda...es-performance-of-the-phones-features_id93308

Update pushed out to U.S. Samsung Galaxy S8 improves performance of the phone's features

According to the changelist, the update will include:

• Improved performance for face recognition.
  • The camera's UI has been adjusted.
  • The security of the device has been improved.
  • Device stability improvement and bug fixes.
  • New and enhanced features.
  • Further improvements to performance.

Does the S8 feature background updating like the Pixel devices? Isn't that a Nougat feature?
Did not check before update but did notice there is an extra option on FR to make it harder to spoof with a picture etc

I ended up with a gold as that's all that was available not sure pic does it justice but it seems to go from a darkish tint to almost silver

s8 gold.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well fwiw two factor authentication is a great security tool
That is what the TSA says about patting down ladies butts and boobs, but that doesn't mean I think it's something I particularly want to deal with. ;)

My problem is that in the interface for the Samsung mail app that I prefer to use, using either IMAP or Pop3 options to manually add my account do not have any way to let me trigger the generation of an authentication code, nor to enter one if I were to get it. I repeatedly fail at server authentication.
[doublepost=1492796543][/doublepost]
Anyone else use the offer to get the "fully immersive VR experience"?
I got it shipped with the phone from Samsungs site. I haven't tried VR yet. I love the earbuds that came with the phone as well as the wireless headset that was in the immersive experience pack.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Lousy move by B&H: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Unlo...are-available-for-pre-order-in-the-US_id93294

Unlocked Galaxy S8 and S8+ are available for pre-order in the US

B&H is now taking pre-orders for the unlocked versions of the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+.

The store has put a hefty price tag on the pair. The smaller 64 GB Galaxy S8 goes for $829.99, while the larger S8+ with the same amount of internal storage is at $929.99. Shipping is set to commence at the "beginning of May", which is quite early. Last year, the unlocked Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge didn't show up in the US until June.

Best Buy will also sell unlocked variants of Samsung's 2017 flagship duo. The retail chain will start taking pre-orders on May 9th and will offer the two phones at noticeably lower prices - $724.99 for the 64 GB Galaxy S8, and $824.99 for the S8+.

Needless to say, I'll be waiting for the Best Buy one. Screw you, B&H.

Get them to price match Best Buy.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I locked myself out of my S8+ and my main Google account for about 3 hours when I enabled the 2 step security.

While setting up, I mistakenly did a remote wipe which I though the menu was just to enable the option. Then after a complete wipe to factory reset, I had to login with my gmail account to order to continue the setup, their texts for the codes never came through. It seems during setup, you can't receive texts.

I put my sim in another phone and the Google codes still didn't get texted to me, all other texts were coming in. Tried to contact Google support online, they said it takes 3-5 working days to get back to me. WTF!!! And I couldn't recover on my desktop, because I didn't know exactly when I created my account. REALLY???!!! Who actually knows that?

I was official locked out of my most important Google account and the services attached to it.

So I called Google. Spoke to a Google rep, and she did the text book scripted troubleshooting "did you do this and that". She was nice and went the extra mile for me, but could not help me much.

Also I had to wait awhile because I asked to resend the code too many times and it told me "try again later".

So I tried one more thing. I had to reset the network settings of the phone my sim card was in. And finally got the text with the code. But I wouldn't been able to do that on the S8+ setup screen since basically nothing comes in until after setup, nor can you get into settings yet. So if I didn't have another phone, I would have never got the text with the code.
And throughout all of this, I was browsing for solutions. Seen a tons of complaints. Even from the ones that used the printout codes option, which many said didn't work.

I also asked the Google rep lady. If I can't get back in, then what about the services I'm paying for, how do I cancel that? She told me I couldn't, and would probably have to disable my card and get a new one so the subscription can no longer charge me. I would have also lost all my paid Android apps.

After going through that, reading what others have gone through, and the lack of support when it comes to account issues. I disabled the 2 step security as quickly as possible. NOT WORTH THE RISK!!! I'll just be satisfied with my extra long complicated password. Sometimes too much security is a hinderance. If this happened while I was traveling, I would have been screwed.

Reactions: 5105973

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I was going to purchase it but if Smart Switch is so unreliable that it requires the purchase of a third party piece of software than I'm probably best to wait it out unless of course Jamezr is full of it and has never used Smart Switch in his life then in which case he shouldn't have commented in the first place.
well if you are expecting it to be on the level on iCloud backup you will be disappointed
[doublepost=1492798435][/doublepost]so far my dad is loving his S8 plus.

as of 19:00 his battery life is at about 50% after getting it off the charger at 7am and has used it for music and email and a few apps. safe to say he's loving it considering note 4 was his phone two days ago

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
AT&T sent me an email offering me a buy one get one free with the paid one being on a Next plan. I may have considered it, but my wife hates big phones (5S user). Does seem like a decent phone. Enjoy.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
That is what the TSA says about patting down ladies butts and boobs, but that doesn't mean I think it's something I particularly want to deal with. ;)

My problem is that in the interface for the Samsung mail app that I prefer to use, using either IMAP or Pop3 options to manually add my account do not have any way to let me trigger the generation of an authentication code, nor to enter one if I were to get it. I repeatedly fail at server authentication.
[doublepost=1492796543][/doublepost]
I got it shipped with the phone from Samsungs site. I haven't tried VR yet. I love the earbuds that came with the phone as well as the wireless headset that was in the immersive experience pack.

I locked myself out of my S8+ and my main Google account for about 3 hours when I enabled the 2 step security.

While setting up, I mistakenly did a remote wipe which I though the menu was just to enable the option. Then after a complete wipe to factory reset, I had to login with my gmail account to order to continue the setup, their texts for the codes never came through. It seems during setup, you can't receive texts.

I put my sim in another phone and the Google codes still didn't get texted to me, all other texts were coming in. Tried to contact Google support online, they said it takes 3-5 working days to get back to me. WTF!!! And I couldn't recover on my desktop, because I didn't know exactly when I created my account. REALLY???!!! Who actually knows that?

I was official locked out of my most important Google account and the services attached to it.

So I called Google. Spoke to a Google rep, and she did the text book scripted troubleshooting "did you do this and that". She was nice and went the extra mile for me, but could not help me much.

Also I had to wait awhile because I asked to resend the code too many times and it told me "try again later".

So I tried one more thing. I had to reset the network settings of the phone my sim card was in. And finally got the text with the code. But I wouldn't been able to do that on the S8+ setup screen since basically nothing comes in until after setup, nor can you get into settings yet. So if I didn't have another phone, I would have never got the text with the code.
And throughout all of this, I was browsing for solutions. Seen a tons of complaints. Even from the ones that used the printout codes option, which many said didn't work.

I also asked the Google rep lady. If I can't get back in, then what about the services I'm paying for, how do I cancel that? She told me I couldn't, and would probably have to disable my card and get a new one so the subscription can no longer charge me. I would have also lost all my paid Android apps.

After going through that, reading what others have gone through, and the lack of support when it comes to account issues. I disabled the 2 step security as quickly as possible. NOT WORTH THE RISK!!! I'll just be satisfied with my extra long complicated password. Sometimes too much security is a hinderance. If this happened while I was traveling, I would have been screwed.

Any specific reason you aren't using an authentication app like Google Authenticator or even better, Authy? This way, your secondary authentication isn't tied to a specific phone number for text messages. I use Authy for my 2 factor authentication for Google, Amazon, Facebook, and Microsoft---it's readily available on all of my devices (phones, tablets, Apple Watch)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Any specific reason you aren't using an authentication app like Google Authenticator or even better, Authy? This way, your secondary authentication isn't tied to a specific phone number for text messages. I use Authy for my 2 factor authentication for Google, Amazon, Facebook, and Microsoft---it's readily available on all of my devices (phones, tablets, Apple Watch)

I tried that to recover my account, but I think you have to set it up before hand.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I tried that to recover my account, but I think you have to set it up before hand.

Yeah, if won't get you out of the jam you were in but you should take a serious look at replacing your current setup as it will help you avoid it in the future. I can just grab the necessary code from any number of my devices where its been setup and authorized---wished I'd done it long ago.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

:eek::eek: I thank you for sharing that and consider myself duly warned! I'm going to disable the two factor authentication on my Google account and review all my account passwords and see if I can't come up with some even more complicated ones that I still will be able to remember. I also have a password manager app in case I forget.

Unfortunately it's the iCloud account with Apple that I can NOT get to cancel two factor authentication and is locking me out of setting up my iCloud email address on my Samsung.

I can't really be mad at my husband. A few weeks ago my iPad started getting locked out of iCloud. I could not get logged in via my iPad so I gave it to my husband to figure out and he ended up having to sign in and he said he could only get in by accepting two factor authentication. I guess this is something Apple is enforcing now to get around the security problems we've been reading about. I don't know.

I'm starting to get texts saying sign-in failed. To what, I'm not sure. I think I stepped into a mess.

Edited to add I was able to successfully turn off two factor authentication on my Google account. The total number of times I had to generate an authentication code to do so was three, due to being required to log in through numerous steps just to get to the page where the "off switch" was located. jeez

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
:eek::eek: I thank you for sharing that and consider myself duly warned! I'm going to disable the two factor authentication on my Google account and review all my account passwords and see if I can't come up with some even more complicated ones that I still will be able to remember. I also have a password manager app in case I forget.

Unfortunately it's the iCloud account with Apple that I can NOT get to cancel two factor authentication and is locking me out of setting up my iCloud email address on my Samsung.

I can't really be mad at my husband. A few weeks ago my iPad started getting locked out of iCloud. I could not get logged in via my iPad so I gave it to my husband to figure out and he ended up having to sign in and he said he could only get in by accepting two factor authentication. I guess this is something Apple is enforcing now to get around the security problems we've been reading about. I don't know.

I'm starting to get texts saying sign-in failed. To what, I'm not sure. I think I stepped into a mess.

I never had an issue with my iCloud account, because the 2 step authentication pops up on all my other Apple devices. Then when they enabled it, it didn't lock out what was already signed on. But I do wonder what happens if some one only has just one Apple device. Would they need to rely on iTunes on their PC? Cause I don't remember seeing any popups on my PC like I see on my MBP.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Get them to price match Best Buy.

I actually tried but since the Best Buy unlocked S8 link isn't listing a price yet, they can't price match. By that point, I might as well just get it from Best Buy. We'll see.

I wonder if the Samsung site will have unlocked ones for sale May 9th, too...

EDIT: Also, the B&H ones are international variants, according to Android Central. The BBuy versions will be actual US variants unlocked.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yeah, if won't get you out of the jam you were in but you should take a serious look at replacing your current setup as it will help you avoid it in the future. I can just grab the necessary code from any number of my devices where its been setup and authorized---wished I'd done it long ago.

I'll give it a try. But on a dummy Google account first. I have seem comments of it failing while searching, so I'm still skeptical.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Multi-factor authentication will always require more thought and planning to prevent lock out. That's the advantage of using Google Voice # with Hangouts since there's always more than one device (mobile devices, laptop, desktop, etc.) logged in to get the verification SMS.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I looked at it but decided not to mess with it because my codes are coming to my iPhone. I'm getting the codes I need to get into my Google account. I probably will get an authenticator app if I decide I'm not going to have both phones with me very often.

My problem right now isn't with Google, at least I don't think so. There's a failure somewhere in there in getting Apple/ICloud to accept my log-in from my S8+. I'm not sure what the failure is caused by, but I suspect it's the fact the interface has me logging into iCloud with only my standard password, with no means to also enter an authentication code.

My mail is still coming in fine on my two older Samsungs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.