Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
It's hard not to cave on this thing. It's just a beauty and it seems like they finally got the software to be simple enough to not completely piss me off.

Well no remorse at least when jumping is involved if there is not a device I rather have, at this point there isn't. Jumping from the HTC 10 would be an easy decision for most.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
oh my...did not know that. I would call CS and confirm...the store rep might have been wrong.
[doublepost=1492787553][/doublepost]
agreed...then to take it a step further. I always used to install Nova launcher. But with the S8+ I don't feel the need to stray from the stock launcher. I am using stock email, messages, calendar, launcher, music. The stock offerings have really come a long way imho.

Exactly what I did. I'm at another store (authorized dealer not corporate) picking up an orchid grey S8+.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Is there a case for the s8 that would better isolate the fps so one does not have to poke around?

I really like the size, feel, and grip of this device though which tempts me to just go naked plus the fact that it is a real looker.

The s8+ I felt there would be more of an adjustment period (reachability, it being rather tall, etc) so I just went with my gut for which one I would rather have.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
agreed...then to take it a step further. I always used to install Nova launcher. But with the S8+ I don't feel the need to stray from the stock launcher. I am using stock email, messages, calendar, launcher, music. The stock offerings have really come a long way imho.

Really? Wow. Interesting. I'm willing to give TouchWiz launcher a shot. Kind of hate that the app drawer is paginated though. It breaks the seamless transition from swiping up to pull up the drawer, then having to switch to left-right to go through the pages. Wish they kept it scrolling up-down like Pixel.

I'll give it a shot, but I predict I'll cave and throw on Nova for even more customization. But awesome about the stock launcher and apps. I love the TouchWiz gallery app, for sure.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I'd even go further and predict that once you adapt to TouchWiz, it'll be difficult to go back to anything less. All the little extra useful features, functions, and customizations really go a long way in making the phone cater to you and your preferences.

Might be a little too early to say this, but it looks like Samsung has earned the right not to call it TW this time around. I'm not even getting microstutters. So far the only different vs vanilla Android is the animations.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Might be a little too early to say this, but it looks like Samsung has earned the right not to call it TW this time around. I'm not even getting microstutters. So far the only different vs vanilla Android is the animations.

I believe MRU said that Samsung doesn't even call it TouchWiz anymore. It's called the Samsung Software Experience or something (what ever happened to Grace UX?). And indeed, the Verge review doesn't mention TouchWiz once.

I guess it's time to stop calling it TouchWiz here, too. I do it out of habit and just cause it's easier to say than Samsung Software Experience. ;)

Indeed, Samsung has shed both title and stigma of "TouchWiz" of yesteryear.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I believe MRU said that Samsung doesn't even call it TouchWiz anymore. It's called the Samsung Software Experience or something (what ever happened to Grace UX?). And indeed, the Verge review doesn't mention TouchWiz once.

I guess it's time to stop calling it TouchWiz here, too. I do it out of habit and just cause it's easier to say than Samsung Software Experience. ;)

Indeed, Samsung has shed both title and stigma of "TouchWiz" of yesteryear.

Yea, that's a dumb name they gave it. They should have stuck with Grace UX.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Lousy move by B&H: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Unlo...are-available-for-pre-order-in-the-US_id93294

Unlocked Galaxy S8 and S8+ are available for pre-order in the US

B&H is now taking pre-orders for the unlocked versions of the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+.

The store has put a hefty price tag on the pair. The smaller 64 GB Galaxy S8 goes for $829.99, while the larger S8+ with the same amount of internal storage is at $929.99. Shipping is set to commence at the "beginning of May", which is quite early. Last year, the unlocked Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge didn't show up in the US until June.

Best Buy will also sell unlocked variants of Samsung's 2017 flagship duo. The retail chain will start taking pre-orders on May 9th and will offer the two phones at noticeably lower prices - $724.99 for the 64 GB Galaxy S8, and $824.99 for the S8+.

Needless to say, I'll be waiting for the Best Buy one. Screw you, B&H.

Not sure if it matters but B&H typically doesn't charge sales tax outside of ny though.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yea, that's a dumb name they gave it. They should have stuck with Grace UX.

I like Grace UX, too.

I've always said, TouchWiz on top of the latest Android version is the perfect marriage of useful features on top of speedy and stable software. Seems more true than ever before.

The Verge calls it the best Android OEM skin. A statement like this would have never existed in the past.
[doublepost=1492789661][/doublepost]
Not sure if it matters but B&H typically doesn't charge sales tax outside of ny though.

Actually, that's a very fair point! Thank you. I'm gonna do some math and reconsider...

EDIT: Even with tax, the Best Buy price is cheaper. $725 + tax =/= the $830 or so that B&H is charging. The Best Buy one should come in at just under $800...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I've always said, TouchWiz on top of the latest Android version is the perfect marriage of useful features on top of speedy and stable software. Seems more true than ever before.

The Verge calls it the best Android OEM skin. A statement like this would have never existed in the past.

Only makes my expectations higher for the Note 8.

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
By the way have you guys checked if you got the Sony or Samsung camera sensor? I got Samsung front and back on my Exonys model. Last year I got Sony on both.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

[doublepost=1492789661][/doublepost]

Actually, that's a very fair point! Thank you. I'm gonna do some math and reconsider...

Yeah and it sounds like they're shipping it earlier too. Best Buy is just taking pre-orders in may.

B&H is typically a pretty reputable dealer honestly. Better rep than Best Buy although I frequent both.

Reactions: epicrayban

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Really? Wow. Interesting. I'm willing to give TouchWiz launcher a shot. Kind of hate that the app drawer is paginated though. It breaks the seamless transition from swiping up to pull up the drawer, then having to switch to left-right to go through the pages. Wish they kept it scrolling up-down like Pixel.

I'll give it a shot, but I predict I'll cave and throw on Nova for even more customization. But awesome about the stock launcher and apps. I love the TouchWiz gallery app, for sure.
yeah that doesn't make sense to me either. I wish the app drawer worked like the Pixel as well....swiping sideways after swiping up or down is not intuitive.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
By the way have you guys checked if you got the Sony or Samsung camera sensor? I got Samsung front and back on my Exonys model. Last year I got Sony on both.

Sony IMX333 on back.
Sony IMX320 on Front
T-mobile SD835 version.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Sony

044dbaabf98e2af2ca1d073c32d03eca.jpg

Reactions: PJM83

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
Currently waiting for my S8+ to arrive and hoping it doesn't come with the red screen tint otherwise I fear it may be getting sent straight back in exchange for a iPhone 7+ !

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Ugh, I see a little bit of a magenta tint on the top and bottom of the screen whenever I go into a bright white background. Not sure if my iPhone captures it here.
96a4303b12c60b401d553d3c919d7f01.jpg

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Upda...es-performance-of-the-phones-features_id93308

Update pushed out to U.S. Samsung Galaxy S8 improves performance of the phone's features

According to the changelist, the update will include:

• Improved performance for face recognition.
  • The camera's UI has been adjusted.
  • The security of the device has been improved.
  • Device stability improvement and bug fixes.
  • New and enhanced features.
  • Further improvements to performance.

Does the S8 feature background updating like the Pixel devices? Isn't that a Nougat feature?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Loving this phone so far. FP scanner is indeed odd to get to. I use retina scan and its extremely fast. Not as fast as iPhone 7 Plus with raise to wake since i still need to wake up the screen by pressing a button but it's still fast. Love the look of this phone. It is not too tall at all. Samsung Experience or whatever they call TW now is much nicer than previous iterations. I think I'll be sticking with it this time. The camera is amazing as expect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.