Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Again, these little things that Samsung is learning to do better and more right. Little by little.

-Single SKU for better updates (hopefully).
-Unlocked model shortly after launch (sooner than Apple's unlock availability).

And now this:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...o-external-carrier-branding-even-verizon-att/

The Galaxy S8 will have no external carrier branding, even on Verizon and AT&T

A far cry from the Samsung of yesteryear that let Verizon do this:

nexus2cee_nexusae0_wm_20121024_200413-768x576.jpg

Wow if Samsung grew a pair I certainly hope they can push the carriers to update sooner.

Reactions: epicrayban

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Samsung used to have the BEST reach ability mode, the entire screen would shrink both vertically and horizontally. I don't think they have it anymore, I don't recall seeing it on the note 7. With the iPhone the reach ability mode doesn't solve the width of the phone.

Still has that and you can resize it to your liking.

Screenshot_20170420-234210.png

Reactions: MRU

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I personally feel the rear fingerprint scanner on the phone was only placed there because it was the only place they had room inside the phone. Likely they planned an on screen scanner and this was a last minute change. The proper location for a rear scanner would be how LG implemented it, however I'm guessing the phone wasn't built with extra room in that location. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but the location seems like a quick change towards the end of the design.

Reactions: nj1266 and Demo Kit

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I personally feel the rear fingerprint scanner on the phone was only placed there because it was the only place they had room inside the phone. Likely they planned an on screen scanner and this was a last minute change. The proper location for a rear scanner would be how LG implemented it, however I'm guessing the phone wasn't built with extra room in that location. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but the location seems like a quick change towards the end of the design.

Yea, Synaptics didn't have the embedded fingerprint reader ready for the s8... We should see that fixed in the Note 8 ..:)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Just wondering, don't we all shimmy a little using our phones? Even my iPhone 6S, I have to shimmy every now and then, especially when trying to reach an annoying upper-left back button to navigate back. Ditto my S6, ditto my S7E, and ditto even my Pixel (not XL) experience last year.

Don't iPhone Plus owners have to shimmy to reach stuff?
All the time which is why the S8+ will not be a problem for me. My original galaxy note was probably the most unwieldy phone I've used but I don't care. I will sacrifice comfort for screen real estate.
[doublepost=1492756751][/doublepost]
Yes I think they said on the android central podcast directly after the unpacked event that Samsung had told them that there wasn't any space to put the fingerprint sensor anywhere else.

It will be interesting to see if Samsung are able to Samsung are able to get the fingerprint sensor under the display in time for the note 8 as the rumours are suggesting that Apple may not be able to get it under screen in time for the iPhone 8.

The technology might not be there yet.
[doublepost=1492756860][/doublepost]
You mean the Samsung earbuds 'Tuned by AKG'' ... ;)

and then sneakily rebadged/branded as AKG's ...
They are supposed to be good so I guess it doesn't matter. You would think Samsung would want to take the credit for them.
[doublepost=1492757123][/doublepost]
Ours arrived today while we were visiting DC with out of town relatives. We did a signature release that Fed Ex actually accepted. Of course it meant our packages sat out on the front porch in some rain all day, but nothing really got wet, so all is well. I have not really had much chance to do more than put it in the case to admire it with the relatives, who are the only Samsung enthusiasts in the family. They liked it but would prefer flat, not edges.

I am very happy with the S8 + form factor. I'm disappointed to read that the scanner sounds a lot like the crappy unusable one on my S7 and S7 Edge. I'll probably stick with using a pin. Or try a pattern.

I am going to wash the grit and humidity of D.C. off and then play with my new phone a little bit. I'm too tired after walking six miles in heat and humidity to do much with it. Ttyl.
To be fair I agree with you on the fingerprint scanner not being very good on the S7 edge. I got locked out far too many times. Having to wait 30 seconds before I could try again. In the end I disabled it. I actually think the swiping sensor I had on my S5 was better. So it being on the back and in an awkward position doesn't really bother me as I wouldn't use it. At least they have provided some good alternatives with the iris scanner and the facial recognition even if the later is not secure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit and jamezr

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
They are supposed to be good so I guess it doesn't matter. You would think Samsung would want to take the credit for them.

That's what I don't understand, it was a totally needless thing to mislead with. They literally set themselves up for criticism when there was no need. If they just said we're including our Samsung Premium Earbuds worth $99 nobody would think less.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
That's what I don't understand, it was a totally needless thing to mislead with. They literally set themselves up for criticism when there was no need. If they just said we're including our Samsung Premium Earbuds worth $99 nobody would think less.

AKG has brand strength when it comes to audio that Samsung doesn't.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
AKG has brand strength when it comes to audio that Samsung doesn't.

Yes but other manufacturers like HTC and LG who have had premium earbuds actually Tuned or Designed by AKG - and they still brand them as HTC or LG as at the end of the day they are the manufacturer. Samsung did employ a cynical mislead with the AKG headphones, one that for vast majority of consumers was utterly unnecessary to do so. Those consumers really into audio would find out sooner or later anyway and likely have other higher quality earphones regardless. It was just a bit futile especially when 'trust' is supposed to be built with the S8 to have something in the package which isn't exactly as led to believe.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Yes but other manufacturers like HTC and LG who have had premium earbuds actually Tuned or Designed by AKG - and they still brand them as HTC or LG as at the end of the day they are the manufacturer. Samsung did employ a cynical mislead with the AKG headphones, one that for vast majority of consumers was utterly unnecessary to do so. Those consumers really into audio would find out sooner or later anyway and likely have other higher quality earphones regardless. It was just a bit futile especially when 'trust' is supposed to be built with the S8 to have something in the package which isn't exactly as led to believe.

I can see your point. May not be a big deal to many though. But it's misleading especially when the event happened they said to everyone "from AKG"

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Less than 24 hours in and I am still in awe of this phone.

Got it with me at work and all my colleagues in the office are basically falling over themselves looking at it - they love it.

It truly is the nicest looking phone I have ever seen. So strange that I never got those feelings from it when I first saw it which I guess just shows you how much bolstering them down can damage a users experience / opinion.
Although I totally get why they're bolstered down having seen several iPhone's ripped off displays and stolen in our store in the shortish time I've worked there.

It wasn't meant to be this way though!! With the KEYone approaching I was meant to just trial / put up with the S8 until what I really wanted came out... but now I don't want to part with this at all!

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Can you buy these separately from Samsung?
I tried to find them, tried both AKG and Samsung and couldn't find them which is strange as reviews say they cost 99 dollars?!
Do they have a model number?
MRU, I'm not asking you exclusively, you seem to know they were rebranded and I was intrigued but now it's doing my head in, which is stupid as I can't even stand using buds. Lol :D

Reactions: jamezr and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Can you buy these separately from Samsung?
I tried to find them, tried both AKG and Samsung and couldn't find them which is strange as reviews say they cost 99 dollars?!
Do they have a model number?
MRU, I'm not asking you exclusively, you seem to know they were rebranded and I was intrigued but now it's doing my head in, which is stupid as I can't even stand using buds. Lol :D

Pocketnow spilled the beans.

Reactions: Klyster

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
My co-worker came in with his shiny new S8.

Phenomenal device. The screen is utterly insane. After using it for a little bit and going back to my iPhone 7+, the iPhone colors are very bland, the overall image quality seems grainy and it's much dimmer.

The feel in the hand is wonderful.

I can't say I deep dived into the software, but it was very clean, easy to navigate and responsive.

Samsung has knocked it out the park on this one.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I can see your point. May not be a big deal to many though. But it's misleading especially when the event happened they said to everyone "from AKG"

No, they did specially say "tuned by AKG". Plus I think Samsung acquired Harman, so technically that would make it a real AKG. :p
[doublepost=1492765028][/doublepost]
My co-worker came in with his shiny new S8.

Phenomenal device. The screen is utterly insane. After using it for a little bit and going back to my iPhone 7+, the iPhone colors are very bland, the overall image quality seems grainy and it's much dimmer.

The feel in the hand is wonderful.

I can't say I deep dived into the software, but it was very clean, easy to navigate and responsive.

Samsung has knocked it out the park on this one.

IMO, what separates the S8 and G6, is that Samsung real did an excellent job on the software side as well. Where as with LG, their software is almost damn near the same from their last several flagships. At least that's my take from a user experience.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
No, they did specially say "tuned by AKG". Plus I think Samsung acquired Harman, so technically that would make it a real AKG. :p
Some AKG headphones are sill engineered in Austria, but made in China. I don't see them as "real" (I have a pair).

Even more real would be if the company were not owned by a foreign conglomerate.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No, they did specially say "tuned by AKG". L.

No at the launch event they specifically said 'FROM AKG' ... it's in the pocketnow video where they have them on camera saying it 'From AKG'.

At the end of the day it's not a big deal but that's the point, by the embellishment (and let's be clear this was an embellishment right down to the AKG embellished logo on the headphones) they actually made it a bigger deal themselves and one that otherwise need not of even existed.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Only thing that's annoying after 50 unviewed notifications on twitter it stops coming through. Still actually like notifications better on my iPhone.
[doublepost=1492766776][/doublepost]
One more of the more useful first impressions...

Love flossy

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I am about at 8 out of 10 times 100% succes on the first try unlocking via the iris scanner, even in the dark (!) at night in for example my bedroom.

In my opinion one of the best features of this new S8, after all. Especially after all the negative fuzz about the iris scanner a few day ago

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Has anyone got theirs yet? what is the synchronisation like between your Mac and phone using Samsung Smart Switch? I'm very much tempted at the idea of getting a Samsung Galaxy S8+ but still concerned about ensuring that I can synchronise my music without too many hassles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.