Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Goodness, Android Central's review makes the Orchid Gray look absolutely gorgeous:

I may seriously have to consider this color.

Anybody with an Arctic Silver? And if so, how are you liking it? It's the least represented color. Don't see much of it online.

After sapphire black Samsung dropped the ball last year but they're back with orchid gray. Coral blue had potential but they made the frame too feminine. Artic silver is just a rehash like black, white, etc. so rather boring. I hope they focus on offering sexy new colors.

Reactions: epicrayban

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Just wondering, don't we all shimmy a little using our phones? Even my iPhone 6S, I have to shimmy every now and then, especially when trying to reach an annoying upper-left back button to navigate back. Ditto my S6, ditto my S7E, and ditto even my Pixel (not XL) experience last year.

Don't iPhone Plus owners have to shimmy to reach stuff?

I had to shimmy to reach the top on my 7 Plus, yeah.
And I still have to with this S8.

But the beauty of this is I can type and hold one handed which I couldn't do with the iPhone. Also, the shimmy seems less likely to cause the phone to topple out of my hand unlike how it felt on the iPhone and I can only imagine the bigger S8+ requires more shuffle too one handed.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
With iPhones I just use reachability instead of shimmying. Would love to see reachability style feature on android.

I'm the opposite, I don't ever use reachability, and actually think it wastes more time than just shimmying my hands up. The 6S or non-Plus model in general is a very usable phone one handed.

Reactions: MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Again, these little things that Samsung is learning to do better and more right. Little by little.

-Single SKU for better updates (hopefully).
-Unlocked model shortly after launch (sooner than Apple's unlock availability).

And now this:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...o-external-carrier-branding-even-verizon-att/

The Galaxy S8 will have no external carrier branding, even on Verizon and AT&T

A far cry from the Samsung of yesteryear that let Verizon do this:

nexus2cee_nexusae0_wm_20121024_200413-768x576.jpg

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Just wondering, don't we all shimmy a little using our phones? Even my iPhone 6S, I have to shimmy every now and then, especially when trying to reach an annoying upper-left back button to navigate back. Ditto my S6, ditto my S7E, and ditto even my Pixel (not XL) experience last year.

Don't iPhone Plus owners have to shimmy to reach stuff?

I'm going to be controversial and say I haven't had to shimmy to use my GS8+

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
That's terrific if you don't have to.

Just curious, how do you pull down your notification shade?

I generally reach my thumb up. I hold it about half way down when I'm using it and I have the ability to get to both the home button and notification shade.

Can't one hand use it completely, though.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Again, these little things that Samsung is learning to do better and more right. Little by little.

-Single SKU for better updates (hopefully).
-Unlocked model shortly after launch (sooner than Apple's unlock availability).

And now this:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...o-external-carrier-branding-even-verizon-att/

The Galaxy S8 will have no external carrier branding, even on Verizon and AT&T

A far cry from the Samsung of yesteryear that let Verizon do this:

nexus2cee_nexusae0_wm_20121024_200413-768x576.jpg
Aren't there videos of users with S8's on verizon with the Verizon logo on the back ? (Nope looks like thats the G6 verizon variant i'm getting mixed up with) ...

Re: single sku

Also there isn't a single SKU exactly. Samsung actually designate each region both unlocked and carrier branded handsets with seperate product identifier model codes (CSC codes) unlike Apple where an iPhone 7 32gb is an iPhone 7 32gb no matter where you are in the world. A single country could have 4-8 different model code variations. Each of these has to receive updates specifically for it. Likewise factor in the snapdragon & exynos variants alongside the China only 6gb 128gb model and it gets more complicated.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I used one handed mode on the S8+ today (tap home three times), and it worked well. I was walking while eating a greasy pizza with the other hand. It's not bad at all, being that the display is long and very crisp, makes it very viewable when sized correctly.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I used one handed mode on the S8+ today (tap home three times), and it worked well. I was walking while eating a greasy pizza with the other hand. It's not bad at all, being that the display is long and very crisp, makes it very viewable when sized correctly.
That sounds like a very precarious slippage accident waiting to happen ....

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Aren't there videos of users with S8's on verizon with the Verizon logo on the back ? (Nope looks like thats the G6 verizon variant i'm getting mixed up with) ...

Also there isn't a single SKU exactly. Samsung actually designate each region both unlocked and carrier branded handsets with seperate product identifier model codes (CSC codes) unlike Apple where an iPhone 7 32gb is an iPhone 7 32gb no matter where you are in the world. A single country could have 4-8 different model code variations. Each of these has to receive updates specifically for it. Likewise factor in the snapdragon & exynos variants alongside the China only 6gb 128gb model and it gets more complicated.

Sorry, speaking just in the US. I thought I read there was only a single sku?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
That sounds like a very precarious slippage accident waiting to happen ....

Naked, yea. But with my back case, not so, it pretty much grips to my fingers.

That's not something I do often anyways, I just wanted to test everything out.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The unlocked USA model works on all carriers cmda/gsm but it will have a different CSC to each of the seperate carrier versions which will have their own CSC and firmwares.

Ah, gotcha. Is this any different than what was done in the past?

At least the unlocked version is a single SKU that supports all carriers -- that could be the one that's easier for Samsung to update then hopefully? Going hand in hand with their promise for security patches to the unlocked models.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ah, gotcha. Is this any different than what was done in the past?

At least the unlocked version is a single SKU that supports all carriers -- that could be the one that's easier for Samsung to update then hopefully? Going hand in hand with their promise for security patches to the unlocked models.
I believe previous unbranded unlocked model in USA was GSM only but stand to be corrected.

I hope Samsung do stick to the promised updates, but would be more surprised if they did than didn't. Likewise i expect my LG G6 to linger way behind update wise.

Edit ... Just as I type that my LG G6 just got notification of a 468mb software update. Wonder if this will push it beyond 7.0

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Look what arrived about an hour ago! Getting it all setup at the moment but first impressions are good. I love the screen, the feel and the size (regular S8, coming from a iPhone 7+), and it's been quite fluid and "snappy" going through the setup of "all the things" on the phone. More to come!

FqifaEk.jpg

Last edited:

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

I have a VZW S8+, no VZW logos anywhere on the device.

Wish the same could be said of the VZW bloat ware apps loaded up on it when you boot the phone though. At least you can uninstall most and disable the rest.

Reactions: co.ag.2005 and MRU

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
It's a right finger print magnet this isn't it?!

Need a case ASAP. Forgot to get mine from CPW earlier. Might have to go at lunch tomorrow and pick one up.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I have a VZW S8+, no VZW logos anywhere on the device.

Wish the same could be said of the VZW bloat ware apps loaded up on it when you boot the phone though. At least you can uninstall most and disable the rest.

GENERAL PSA for everyone:

Package Disabler Pro: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ospolice.packagedisablerpro&hl=en

Worth every penny. And easy to use. Disable and never think about it again.

If you care about ridding duplicate apps or carrier apps, this is your ticket (better than having to just store everything in some sort of "MISC" folder on iOS, if you ask me).

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
So I orders the s8 plus after reading the last few pages am thinking I should of gotten the regular s8
Is that what everyone seems to be getting?

Yeah, I think you'll be happy with either. My thought was that one handed operation is so important to me that I'm willing to sacrifice maybe a half hour of battery life. But they both look great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.