Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Just tested Samsung Pay. Major fail. FP scanner was the culprit. Not gonna use iris scanner with payment situations as holding a phone to my face to then place it near the register defeats the purpose of a "painless transaction"

Sigh...yeah I think the FP scanner is gonna be a deal breaker.
Sometimes I think Samsung just purposely tries to be different, another perfect example is the back and recent apps button placement and then this boneheaded move of putting it where they did. I cant believe they didnt have product testers that did not mention this as a problem, pretty much every review or hands on I have seen people mention this as a gripe

Reactions: widgeteer

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Does the S8 have something similar to the 7 Plus's depth effect? Its probably my favorite feature, some people think I took photos with a DSLR.

EDIT: DSLR is a bit of an exaggeration actually, they are just surprised at how professional it looks.
It has a software feature called selective focus. Which incidentally has been available on Samsung devices since 2014. Although I think HTC were first to feature it in the same year.

Reactions: MRU and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sometimes I think Samsung just purposely tries to be different, another perfect example is the back and recent apps button placement and then this boneheaded move of putting it where they did. I cant believe they didnt have product testers that did not mention this as a problem, pretty much every review or hands on I have seen people mention this as a gripe
you might have a point there....at least on the S8 we can arrange the software buttons where we want them.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

It is bizarre how little shrift they gave the FP scanner.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Is anyone have trouble activating? My S8 was delivered about an hour ago, and I've been trying repeatedly to activate, but it keeps giving me the error, "Sorry, we are having trouble activating your phone."

I haven't called Verizon support yet. I assume it's because the activation servers are overwhelmed with people activating, but it is frustrating.

If you're upgrading from another Verizon device and it's the same SIM size just try moving it over. Usually no activation needed which is always an issue with new model release as the servers get hammered.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
This battery on the S8 Plus seems stellar right this second. May vary once I start taking phone calls and doing other things but right now being on it since 7am this morning I'm just reaching 16% with 6hr 50min SOT

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Well it turns out I was in luck, and after my last post I got the text that my phone had arrived in store!

Needless to say I've never logged off my PC so quickly. :p

My assistant manager told me when I got to store that some stores had been told they were not getting their deliveries and they had to make all their preorder customers aware.
Sucks for them tbh, a real shame. Feel bad for those guys.

Some thoughts.
After not being entirely won over (probably because I wasn't able to hold the phone), I absolutely love the feel, form factor and size. I cannot believe this phone (S8) has the same size screen as my iPhone 7 Plus.
It is absolutely gorgeous. I handled an LG G6 yesterday and loved it, but I do now think this S8 is much more impressive in the hand.

The orchid grey is sublime. So pleased I chose it. Allows me to be creative and colourful with my wallpaper and move away from the all black stealth look that I rocked with a lot of previous devices.

Don't like the fingerprint scanner. Nothing more to say. I don't like fingerprint scanners on the back of phones, and I certainly don't like them when they're in an awkward place like they are on this phone. It's also way too small.

Very pleased I didn't go for the Plus. I never had any desire to having seen it and seeing how tall it is. But holding this phone now confirms I was right in my original thoughts for my personal preference. It just feels perfect.
I'll post more as I start to use it, but for now it's had a little photoshoot coz it's just so gorgeous.

WP_20170420_18_58_17_Rich_zpsrcqdqy0e.jpg

WP_20170420_18_58_57_Rich_zpsomwf79c5.jpg

WP_20170420_19_00_07_Rich%202_zpsht8ficzr.jpg

WP_20170420_19_00_42_Rich_zps20dp1inq.jpg

WP_20170420_19_02_02_Rich_zpstibjuybk.jpg

WP_20170420_19_02_19_Rich_zps4zpxhau0.jpg

WP_20170420_19_03_31_Rich_zpsl4z28dek.jpg

WP_20170420_19_04_17_Rich_zpsf0mnvs4g.jpg

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Native photo gallery is very cool. Like Google photos it lets you create a link to large videos on the fly. I actually find it easier than Google's version.

I cannot believe how far behind Apple is with this stuff. This isn't power user territory, this is stuff consumers would love.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Each and every time I have given the s8+ a play I just cannot get over the height versus width ratio. Even with the darn thing not even turned on I cannot get passed it. Guess it is something that is ingrained for now that I will have to get use to cause it will probably be the norm going forward.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Can someone answer this? I assume the screen itself at the top isn't actually curved like the cutout makes it appear. It's a regular screen that is just displaying the rounded corners right?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just tested Samsung Pay. Major fail. FP scanner was the culprit. Not gonna use iris scanner with payment situations as holding a phone to my face to then place it near the register defeats the purpose of a "painless transaction"

Sigh...yeah I think the FP scanner is gonna be a deal breaker.

Try and register the same finger for multiple finger registers. It increases the accuracy. I have both my index fingers on two each. After doing so, if you go to the fingerprint settings, you can see that sometimes the same finger activates one saved register and sometimes the other.

Reactions: widgeteer

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
May have missed it in the hundred or so pages, but what function does hard pressing the home "button" serve? Does it give any extra options or functionality over simply taping it?

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Try and register the same finger for multiple finger registers. It increases the accuracy. I have both my index fingers on two each. After doing so, if you go to the fingerprint settings, you can see that sometimes the same finger activates one saved register and sometimes the other.
I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
[doublepost=1492716140][/doublepost]
May have missed it in the hundred or so pages, but what function does hard pressing the home "button" serve? Does it give any extra options or functionality over simply taping it?

If the screen is off you can "click it" to open the phone. That's about all I've discovered.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
When the screen is off...you can press on the home button to wake the screen to allow you to use facial recognition or iris scanning to unlock the phone.
When the phone has been unlocked then it will activate Google Assistant

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Native photo gallery is very cool. Like Google photos it lets you create a link to large videos on the fly. I actually find it easier than Google's version.

I cannot believe how far behind Apple is with this stuff. This isn't power user territory, this is stuff consumers would love.

I love Samsung's default Gallery app. I think it's better than Google Photos, too.

100% regarding your second comment. I find not just Android, but specifically TouchWiz, overall easier to use and accomplish similar tasks. All those little extra features and functions that MKBHD goes through in his video sound genuinely useful.

And I've been saying this for years: the ability to customize really goes a long way for a device we use everyday, multiple times a day. As you say, you don't have to be a "power user" to appreciate a phone/software that tries as hard as it can to cater to your specific preferences and needs. iOS, at this point in time, simply doesn't do that; you have to cater to how iOS works, if anything.

[doublepost=1492717133][/doublepost]Goodness, Android Central's review makes the Orchid Gray look absolutely gorgeous:

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s8

galaxy-s8-orchid-grey-5.jpg

samsung-galaxy-s8-review-12.jpg

galaxy-s8-orchid-grey-8.jpg

samsung-galaxy-s8-review-24.jpg

I may seriously have to consider this color.

Anybody with an Arctic Silver? And if so, how are you liking it? It's the least represented color. Don't see much of it online.

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I love Samsung's default Gallery app. I think it's better than Google Photos, too.

100% regarding your second comment. I find not just Android, but specifically TouchWiz, overall easier to use and accomplish similar tasks.

[doublepost=1492717133][/doublepost]Goodness, Android Central's review makes the Orchid Gray look absolutely gorgeous:

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s8

galaxy-s8-orchid-grey-5.jpg

samsung-galaxy-s8-review-12.jpg

galaxy-s8-orchid-grey-8.jpg

samsung-galaxy-s8-review-24.jpg

I may seriously have to consider this color.

Anybody with an Arctic Silver? And if so, how are you liking it? It's the least represented color. Don't see much of it online.

Yeah I originally thought the Orchid Grey was a girl color but after playing with it in the store it can pretty much look silver, blue or purple depending on the lighting.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Well it turns out I was in luck, and after my last post I got the text that my phone had arrived in store!

Needless to say I've never logged off my PC so quickly. :p

My assistant manager told me when I got to store that some stores had been told they were not getting their deliveries and they had to make all their preorder customers aware.
Sucks for them tbh, a real shame. Feel bad for those guys.

Some thoughts.
After not being entirely won over (probably because I wasn't able to hold the phone), I absolutely love the feel, form factor and size. I cannot believe this phone (S8) has the same size screen as my iPhone 7 Plus.
It is absolutely gorgeous. I handled an LG G6 yesterday and loved it, but I do now think this S8 is much more impressive in the hand.

The orchid grey is sublime. So pleased I chose it. Allows me to be creative and colourful with my wallpaper and move away from the all black stealth look that I rocked with a lot of previous devices.

Don't like the fingerprint scanner. Nothing more to say. I don't like fingerprint scanners on the back of phones, and I certainly don't like them when they're in an awkward place like they are on this phone. It's also way too small.

Very pleased I didn't go for the Plus. I never had any desire to having seen it and seeing how tall it is. But holding this phone now confirms I was right in my original thoughts for my personal preference. It just feels perfect.
I'll post more as I start to use it, but for now it's had a little photoshoot coz it's just so gorgeous.

WP_20170420_18_58_17_Rich_zpsrcqdqy0e.jpg

WP_20170420_18_58_57_Rich_zpsomwf79c5.jpg

WP_20170420_19_00_07_Rich%202_zpsht8ficzr.jpg

WP_20170420_19_00_42_Rich_zps20dp1inq.jpg

WP_20170420_19_02_02_Rich_zpstibjuybk.jpg

WP_20170420_19_02_19_Rich_zps4zpxhau0.jpg

WP_20170420_19_03_31_Rich_zpsl4z28dek.jpg

WP_20170420_19_04_17_Rich_zpsf0mnvs4g.jpg

Awesome write up. Glad to see some folks are pleased with the non plus version too. Confirms my decision.

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Awesome write up. Glad to see some folks are pleased with the non plus version too. Confirms my decision.

Absolutely. It's small enough to be comfortable one handed bit it is difficult to reach the top without shimmying it up.
I imagine the Plus would be even harder hence why I'm glad I chose this size.

Reactions: Jetcat3

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Absolutely. It's small enough to be comfortable one handed bit it is difficult to reach the top without shimmying it up.
I imagine the Plus would be even harder hence why I'm glad I chose this size.

Nice! Yeah I played around in the store today and I just came to the conclusion that the plus will never be a one handed option for me and I really appreciate that about my 6s.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Samsung have come clean regarding the headphones. They are not actually AKG made headphones, but Samsung made headphones 'tuned by AKG' .... It was misleading of them but as long as they are decent headphones.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Just wondering, don't we all shimmy a little using our phones? Even my iPhone 6S, I have to shimmy every now and then, especially when trying to reach an annoying upper-left back button to navigate back. Ditto my S6, ditto my S7E, and ditto even my Pixel (not XL) experience last year.

Don't iPhone Plus owners have to shimmy to reach stuff?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just wondering, don't we all shimmy a little using our phones? Even my iPhone 6S, I have to shimmy every now and then, especially when trying to reach an annoying upper-left back button to navigate back. Ditto my S6, ditto my S7E, and ditto even my Pixel (not XL) experience last year.

Don't iPhone Plus owners have to shimmy to reach stuff?
With iPhones I just use reachability instead of shimmying. Would love to see reachability style feature on android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.