Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Hinds90

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2017
Can you text using wifi from the message app it comes with without downloading a app?

Also can you camera call (FaceTime) from the phone app it comes with?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Is Allo working for anyone? It keeps immediately crashing on me. I'm thinking maybe that's why only Duo was pre-installed but not Allo.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I believe it should be able to. Can't say for sure.

Can't bixby be disabled anyway? Just can't remap the button.

Unlike S-Voice the disable button for Bixby in app manager is grayed out. I'm guessing Package Disable app would do the job but would prefer someone with actual device to confirm.

Last edited:
Reactions: epicrayban

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I'm thinking about trying to use all Samsung apps, but I'm kind of worried they're not going to update them as much as Google will.

Anyone sticking it out with th Samsung browser and the Samsung email client and so forth?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm thinking about trying to use all Samsung apps, but I'm kind of worried they're not going to update them as much as Google will.

Anyone sticking it out with th Samsung browser and the Samsung email client and so forth?
I am using the stock launcher...email...music apps. But chrome is my fav for internet

Reactions: widgeteer

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I am using the stock launcher...email...music apps. But chrome is my fav for internet

Same here on all counts. I'm using Samm's Gallery but still have Photos backing everything up.

Phone is driving me crazy. Why oh why did they have to whiff so hard on the FP scanner?

Reactions: jamezr

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Same here on all counts. I'm using Samm's Gallery but still have Photos backing everything up.

Phone is driving me crazy. Why oh why did they have to whiff so hard on the FP scanner?

The biggest problem I had when playing with it is that it's hard to find because there's hardly an indentation. Should be interesting to see if you get used to it. I'm going to use the iris scanner so I'm not concerned but I don't use Samsung pay

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just used the S8+ with the Gear VR that I got sent with the Note 7. Can't really say if I noticed a different since it's around 4 months or so since I used VR.
[doublepost=1492736513][/doublepost]Update from T-mobile, I didn't install yet.

Screenshot_20170420-210024.png

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Just used the S8+ with the Gear VR that I got sent with the Note 7. Can't really say if I noticed a different since it's around 4 months or so since I used VR.
[doublepost=1492736513][/doublepost]Update from T-mobile, I didn't install yet.

View attachment 696948
Installed the update and it brings us up to the April security update.

8e74db5143b98b81740fd3909e2f189b.jpg

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
The biggest problem I had when playing with it is that it's hard to find because there's hardly an indentation. Should be interesting to see if you get used to it. I'm going to use the iris scanner so I'm not concerned but I don't use Samsung pay

I could get used to it if it worked better than it does. I don't have a problem finding it on the back, the scanner just straight up sucks. I have maybe 50% success rate with it.

I'm probably going to ditch Sammy pay and just use Android pay as a result. With AP you just have to unlock the phone before you get to the register.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I could get used to it if it worked better than it does. I don't have a problem finding it on the back, the scanner just straight up sucks. I have maybe 50% success rate with it.

I'm probably going to ditch Sammy pay and just use Android pay as a result. With AP you just have to unlock the phone before you get to the register.

Another thing you could do is buy a Gear S3. But that's a $300 fix.

scrumpyjack

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2016
Again, these little things that Samsung is learning to do better and more right. Little by little.

-Single SKU for better updates (hopefully).
-Unlocked model shortly after launch (sooner than Apple's unlock availability).

And now this:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...o-external-carrier-branding-even-verizon-att/

The Galaxy S8 will have no external carrier branding, even on Verizon and AT&T

A far cry from the Samsung of yesteryear that let Verizon do this:

nexus2cee_nexusae0_wm_20121024_200413-768x576.jpg

How on earth were they allowed to do that? And why would they want to, are they trying to lose customers?

Reactions: epicrayban

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
a question about Nova Launcher where I cant find a proper answer for;

I have the stock icons now and my own grid size. Once I download and enable Nova Prime, I directly get other ugly icons (with different sizes of shapes of the icons) and my grid size changes.

Is there any way I can get the stock icons + grid size back I made prior enabling Nova Launcher? Or should I start from scratch once I enable Nova Launcher?

thanks!

mtenuta

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
Just got my s8 + wow what a device. It feels so much more solid than previous models. Performance seems a lot smoother. Not as much cluster as before. Loving it so far. A nice change from my 7plus

Reactions: jamezr

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I can't find a good screen protector anywhere online to buy. Prefer a tempered glass tbh.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The AKG earbuds sound pretty good. Has a nice clarity. Fits in my ear just right and is light.

The Samsung Music app is nice too, it glows colors around the edges according to the album art.

Reactions: jamezr and Geert76

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
TIPS

Verizon Activation

Call the number listed in the error message and go through the activation process make sure both of your phones (old/new) are off when you do this then power on the new one after waiting about 5-10 min.

Force apps to utilize the whole screen until they are updated

Go to Settings -> Display -> Full screen apps and select app name.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
With iPhones I just use reachability instead of shimmying. Would love to see reachability style feature on android.

Samsung used to have the BEST reach ability mode, the entire screen would shrink both vertically and horizontally. I don't think they have it anymore, I don't recall seeing it on the note 7. With the iPhone the reach ability mode doesn't solve the width of the phone.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ours arrived today while we were visiting DC with out of town relatives. We did a signature release that Fed Ex actually accepted. Of course it meant our packages sat out on the front porch in some rain all day, but nothing really got wet, so all is well. I have not really had much chance to do more than put it in the case to admire it with the relatives, who are the only Samsung enthusiasts in the family. They liked it but would prefer flat, not edges.

I am very happy with the S8 + form factor. I'm disappointed to read that the scanner sounds a lot like the crappy unusable one on my S7 and S7 Edge. I'll probably stick with using a pin. Or try a pattern.

I am going to wash the grit and humidity of D.C. off and then play with my new phone a little bit. I'm too tired after walking six miles in heat and humidity to do much with it. Ttyl.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.