Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Has anyone got theirs yet? what is the synchronisation like between your Mac and phone using Samsung Smart Switch? I'm very much tempted at the idea of getting a Samsung Galaxy S8+ but still concerned about ensuring that I can synchronise my music without too many hassles.
You can sync all of your iTunes music and playlists using iSyncr from the playstore. Install it on your Mac and Android phone. Everytime you connect it to your Mac it will sync the playlists you select.
[doublepost=1492777325][/doublepost]
I personally feel the rear fingerprint scanner on the phone was only placed there because it was the only place they had room inside the phone. Likely they planned an on screen scanner and this was a last minute change. The proper location for a rear scanner would be how LG implemented it, however I'm guessing the phone wasn't built with extra room in that location. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but the location seems like a quick change towards the end of the design.
yeah they ran out of time for the S8 this year. I am sure the FPS will be under the display on the Note 8.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
You can sync all of your iTunes music and playlists using iSyncr from the playstore. Install it on your Mac and Android phone. Everytime you connect it to your Mac it will sync the playlists you select.

That hasn't addressed my original question which was regarding Samsung Smart Switch and not whether there is some random third party app out there for the phone.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
That hasn't addressed my original question which was regarding Samsung Smart Switch and not whether there is some random third party app out there for the phone.
I did answer your question....don't use Smart switch to sync music between a phone and your Mac. Instead use iSyncr.
but still concerned about ensuring that I can synchronise my music without too many hassles.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
guys I'm going in to best buy now and can't decide over the regular or the plus.

how is the battery life? that is my number 1 concern over the smaller phone

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
guys I'm going in to best buy now and can't decide over the regular or the plus.

how is the battery life? that is my number 1 concern over the smaller phone

A little early to tell, but initial tests show that the Plus has slightly better battery, but nowhere near the difference between the iPhone and iPhone Plus, which is like 2 hours difference. If you run from 100% down to 0%, you may see like a half hour less with the smaller phone. Not too shabby.

I'm going with the smaller S8 because sacrificing a half hour is worth it to me when it comes to being comfortable using it.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I'm thinking your mind was made up long before anyone in this thread said anything.

Yeah what a dumb comment, I am sure Jamezr will be losing sleep over the tragedy he has to bare over it

I was going to purchase it but if Smart Switch is so unreliable that it requires the purchase of a third party piece of software than I'm probably best to wait it out unless of course Jamezr is full of it and has never used Smart Switch in his life then in which case he shouldn't have commented in the first place.

scrumpyjack

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2016
a question about Nova Launcher where I cant find a proper answer for;

I have the stock icons now and my own grid size. Once I download and enable Nova Prime, I directly get other ugly icons (with different sizes of shapes of the icons) and my grid size changes.

Is there any way I can get the stock icons + grid size back I made prior enabling Nova Launcher? Or should I start from scratch once I enable Nova Launcher?

thanks!

You can download icon packs to make them all a uniform shape. Have a search in the play store. Grid size I'm not so sure about.

Reactions: Geert76

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I was going to purchase it but if Smart Switch is so unreliable that it requires the purchase of a third party piece of software than I'm probably best to wait it out unless of course Jamezr is full of it and has never used Smart Switch in his life then in which case he shouldn't have commented in the first place.

One thing to keep in mind with Android is that it's "ok" to have to use 3rd party apps to get the job done. That's the joy of Android, you have options. Don't like the stock texting app? Download a 3rd party one. Don't like the camera? Download a 3rd party one.

If that kind of tinkering is not your cup of tea though, definitely stay with iOS. There's nothing wrong with that. It all comes down to what you're looking for in a phone.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
My co-worker came in with his shiny new S8.

Phenomenal device. The screen is utterly insane. After using it for a little bit and going back to my iPhone 7+, the iPhone colors are very bland, the overall image quality seems grainy and it's much dimmer.

This was me every time I picked up my iPhone after using my S7E last year. Both the screen and photos (including post-processing), in my opinion, is superior on the S7E.

iPhone users will understand and appreciate OLED soon enough.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I used Smart switch to restore all my apps and settings from my S7 edge back up onto my new S8+.
It does a great job of that sort of thing.
But hey...the world is sad that you are not buying a Galaxy S8 :-(

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Lousy move by B&H: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Unlo...are-available-for-pre-order-in-the-US_id93294

Unlocked Galaxy S8 and S8+ are available for pre-order in the US

B&H is now taking pre-orders for the unlocked versions of the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+.

The store has put a hefty price tag on the pair. The smaller 64 GB Galaxy S8 goes for $829.99, while the larger S8+ with the same amount of internal storage is at $929.99. Shipping is set to commence at the "beginning of May", which is quite early. Last year, the unlocked Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge didn't show up in the US until June.

Best Buy will also sell unlocked variants of Samsung's 2017 flagship duo. The retail chain will start taking pre-orders on May 9th and will offer the two phones at noticeably lower prices - $724.99 for the 64 GB Galaxy S8, and $824.99 for the S8+.

Needless to say, I'll be waiting for the Best Buy one. Screw you, B&H.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I caved and jumped this morning, setting up now. The black is a beauty, it feels grippy like the iPhone jet black as well.
[doublepost=1492784282][/doublepost]
So tempted to walk into Tmobile and pick one up. I'm sure the ones by me have stock. But I want an unlocked version, so going to try to hold out!

Super glad that Samsung is releasing unlocked versions earlier than ever before.

My store had plenty, I could not resist. I have zero self control.

PrincePoppycock

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
Iowa
Got my orchid gray up and running and I'm loving it! Didn't realize how much I missed Android til I came back!
Using it caseless until my case gets here but I don't think it feels slippery at all. I have small hands and the plus feels awesome.
I've setup the fingerprint scanner but I'm using face recognition and it works great! It's going to take a bit of muscle memory to get used to the fps.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
It's hard not to cave on this thing. It's just a beauty and it seems like they finally got the software to be simple enough to not completely piss me off.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's hard not to cave on this thing. It's just a beauty and it seems like they finally got the software to be simple enough to not completely piss me off.

I'd even go further and predict that once you adapt to TouchWiz, it'll be difficult to go back to anything less. All the little extra useful features, functions, and customizations really go a long way in making the phone cater to you and your preferences.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Was just turned away from T-Mobile because as a JoD customer, I need to place an order over the phone with customer service; they don't do JoD's in store anymore.
oh my...did not know that. I would call CS and confirm...the store rep might have been wrong.
[doublepost=1492787553][/doublepost]
I'd even go further and predict that once you adapt to TouchWiz, it'll be difficult to go back to anything less. All the little extra useful features, functions, and customizations really go a long way in making the phone cater to you and your preferences.
agreed...then to take it a step further. I always used to install Nova launcher. But with the S8+ I don't feel the need to stray from the stock launcher. I am using stock email, messages, calendar, launcher, music. The stock offerings have really come a long way imho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.