Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I my friend owns that rug, to my eyes (and again, I think we're seeing major issues in compression due to either the forum or the way the poster is uploading) the colors look more accurate on the iP7.

Edit: Jesus, just look at the difference in clarity on the PS4 between the photos, it's night and day! You can't even see the split on the S8.
There is much more detail on the dog in the S8 pic.The iPhone pic seems warmer to me

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
There is much more detail on the dog in the S8 pic.
Ok? I'm not really seeing that (seriously, on my computer the S8 photos are pixelated), but why is it a better camera if only the place you focused on has fine details and awful color accuracy? Seriously, look at the PS4 on the shelf and tell me there's not a night and day difference between the two. If I hadn't seen a PS4 before and only had the S8 photo to go by I'd assume PS4's were solid black instead of the two tone they actually are.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I my friend owns that rug, to my eyes (and again, I think we're seeing major issues in compression due to either the forum or the way the poster is uploading) the colors look more accurate on the iP7.

Edit: Jesus, just look at the difference in clarity on the PS4 between the photos, it's night and day! You can't even see the split on the S8.
Not seeing what you are seeing to be honest. The main focus of the shot was the dog. Look at the dogs ears.....so much more detail and color in the bottom shot.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Not seeing what you are seeing to be honest. The main focus of the shot was the dog. Look at the dogs ears.....so much more detail and color in the bottom shot.
I'll see if I can get a screenshot for you, but the S8 photos are heavily pixelated on my machine here.

I don't understand the term "more" color. Is the point of a photo to capture what you're seeing, or enhance the color past real world replication? Also, what of the PS4? Does the rest of the photo not matter?

Uploaded screenshot, when you "expand" the iP7 photo it gets roughly twice as big, when doing the same thing on the S8 shot it get's *maybe* 10% larger, so something is screwy either with the forum on my browser (Safari) or the way the user is uploading. When you click on the S8 photo to expand it does it get much larger for you?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 10.25.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 10.25.32 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 149

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'll see if I can get a screenshot for you, but the S8 photos are heavily pixelated on my machine here.

I don't understand the term "more" color. Is the point of a photo to capture what you're seeing, or enhance the color past real world replication?
I have both rhe 7+ and S8+ and will do some testing this weekend and post them.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Comparison photos are fun to see and I appreciate everyone posting them. But, everyone should not put too much into photos uploaded to a forum. The only way you can tell anything is having the full res photo completely uncompressed at your disposal. Also, you would want someone taking the shots who is trained/experienced in taking comparison photos to ensure both pictures have the exact same setup etc... That being said, both cameras are amazing and I'm glad I live in 2017 where we have PHONES that can take pictures of this quality.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
I have both rhe 7+ and S8+ and will do some testing this weekend and post them.
Cool, looking forward to see it. Frankly I'm never buying a Samsung device (simply because I don't enjoy Android) but I'm always glad to see the advancement of technology.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Cool, looking forward to see it. Frankly I'm never buying a Samsung device (simply because I don't enjoy Android) but I'm always glad to see the advancement of technology.
No surprise there...
I also have the Pixel XL so I might include it as well. But it will be very hard to beat.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I personally love Samsung's post image processing. It makes the pic more vibrant. In fact, I've gotten so used to it that I find my iPhone photos rather dull. And I'm not the only one. Among my colleagues and friends who have iPhones, whenever we go out and compare pictures, they loved my S7E photos compared to their own.

Having said that, can't you get RAW files if you want more true to color with Samsung cameras?

Reactions: jamezr

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
No surprise there...
Don't read into my comments like I'm some type of phone fanboy. I just grew out of the days (it was fun for me in the past, now it just seems like work for little gain personally) where I was jailbreaking every device I owned and I just want my phone to be a phone so all the advantages of the tweaking you can do on Android just don't appeal to me. With that advantage ruled out, I don't see any reason to move on from my 6s for quite a while.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I personally love Samsung's post image processing. It makes the pic more vibrant. In fact, I've gotten so used to it that I find my iPhone photos rather dull. And I'm not the only one. Among my colleagues and friends who have iPhones, whenever we go out and compare pictures, they loved my S7E photos compared to their own.

Having said that, can't you get RAW files if you want more true to color with Samsung cameras?
Yes you can. I'm going to put my 256gb card to work lol.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yes you can. I'm going to put my 256gb card to work lol.

That's what I thought.

So just like the "oversaturated" argument for the screen, which you can calibrate or set to more standard modes, so can the camera photos.

Everybody's happy.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Don't read into my comments like I'm some type of phone fanboy. I just grew out of the days (it was fun for me in the past, now it just seems like work for little gain personally) where I was jailbreaking every device I owned and I just want my phone to be a phone so all the advantages of the tweaking you can do on Android just don't appeal to me. With that advantage ruled out, I don't see any reason to move on from my 6s for quite a while.

Well if you have no interest in Android or Samsung and will never own one I don't see why you have enough interest to even comment in this thread. I mean yes your free to read and comment on anything if you want, but I wouldn't spend much time reading about something that you don't like.

With that said, I am so excited to go and pick up my midnight black S8+ tomorrow. I already received my Tech 21 case and will be getting my wireless charging pad and USB-C car charger in the next couple days. I should be all set.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
Just received my S8 in the mail .. my thoughts thus far:

Not a big fan of the fingerprint sensor on the back.
The on screen buttons I thought I would enjoy ... I do not. Much rather have hardware buttons.

Everything else is a great time though lol.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Well if you have no interest in Android or Samsung and will never own one I don't see why you have enough interest to even comment in this thread. I mean yes your free to read and comment on anything if you want, but I wouldn't spend much time reading about something that you don't like.

With that said, I am so excited to go and pick up my midnight black S8+ tomorrow. I already received my Tech 21 case and will be getting my wireless charging pad and USB-C car charger in the next couple days. I should be all set.
....Because I'm interested in seeing the best competition out there right now, and the S8 is clearly the best Android smartphone out there right now. Am I not allowed to know what's going on in the windows world because I own a mac?

How asinine an assertion.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Just received my S8 in the mail .. my thoughts thus far:

Not a big fan of the fingerprint sensor on the back.
The on screen buttons I thought I would enjoy ... I do not. Much rather have hardware buttons.

Everything else is a great time though lol.

Did you get the regular S8 or S8+. Curious on those with the regular and I'm wondering if you're having buyer's remorse for not getting the +!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

What charging pad did you get?

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Same here. Might sound funny, but I will be comparing pics of the sky and clouds. Samsung photos have always struggled a little with that.

I'll be interested to see images taken in medium to low light. Although on paper the S7 Edge has vastly superior camera hardware to the iPhone 7 Plus when comparing optics/sensor size but the 7 Plus actually seemed to do a better job.

It's one thing I've noticed with practically every smartphone camera is that the image processing either makes or breaks your camera set up. Sony has had great camera hardware in the Xperia lineup but struggled with image processing.

When I compared the images taken indoors in fairly low light, the iPhone did a much better job in evenly exposing the scene and keeping noise down. The S7 on the other hand opted for a faster shutter speed with a higher ISO and also boosted exposure. The end result was an artificially bright image filled with tons of noise reduction.

Of course that is purely a comparison using the default Auto & JPEG engine in the phone. When you take the RAW image from the S7E and process it in Lightroom, the results become absolutely killer especially for a smartphone.

I'll be interested to see if Samsung improved this with the S8 and also if they have improved the auto white balance. Also if possible, could you upload a couple of raw files from the S8? I'm interested to see the latitude of the files.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

I don't understand the term "more" color. Is the point of a photo to capture what you're seeing, or enhance the color past real world replication? Also, what of the PS4? Does the rest of the photo not matter?

Uploaded screenshot, when you "expand" the iP7 photo it gets roughly twice as big, when doing the same thing on the S8 shot it get's *maybe* 10% larger, so something is screwy either with the forum on my browser (Safari) or the way the user is uploading. When you click on the S8 photo to expand it does it get much larger for you?

Yeah, I'm getting the same thing while using Tapatalk, just look at the "Do Not Cover" writing on that white box behind the dog, easily readable on the iPhone but just a pixilated blob on the S8.

Reactions: nj1266

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Not looking good for me I'm afraid.
Still no delivery at CPW and I finish work at 5:15 - store closes at 5:30.
I have worked my lunch so I can go early if it comes in but it's probably not even worth the hassle due to traffic getting back on our business park to pick my partner up as we travel in one car together.

Ah well.

Not sure if other customers expecting it today have been in to collect and been sent away again but can't see people being happy if they pre-ordered knowing they'd get it today only for it to not turn up.
If I knew this would happen then I'd have just had it delivered home.

Another 24 hours with this amazing Lumia then.

Reactions: MRU and jamezr

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
i think the S8+ is an evolved Note 7 only without the s-pen. The curved screen is better...facial recognition and Iris scanning is so much better. Imho they took everything great from the Note 7 and brought it to the S line.
Except i don't like the location of the FPS to be honest.
[doublepost=1492691992][/doublepost]
exactly......when I first saw the S8+ at BB I thought i would not like how long and narrow it is. But after using it for a while I don't notice it at all. Then the curved display is a non factor....you don't notice it is there. I pickup my S8+ just like I do my 7+ or Pixel XL and don't even notice the curved screen.
[doublepost=1492692196][/doublepost]Here is a S8 bend test......it really holds rather well to bending and the fire test as well...

Nice to hear they improved those features from the Note 7, I really loved that phone, can't wait till the next one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.