Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
They are both fine pics, but viewing them both here on my big 4k monitor/screen, the iPhone 7 example shot there is actually quite a bit sharper and has more detail in the rear of the picture. The S8 picture the fence, leaves on the climbing plant and the background objects are quite blurry. Indeed the strawberry pot which is clear in the iPhone shot looks more like a halloween pumpkin on the S8.

Are you sure your camera sensor on the S8 hasn't got fingerprint grease on it perhaps resulting in the blurrier shot ?

Well the only thing I clicked was auto adjust on the picture

Here's another pic comparison

7 plus

730d2726ea3642011b27518d472e8b89.jpg

S8 plus

6372889d4bd5ce6639073d117aaa53f3.jpg

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I only got my 7 Plus recently but I will say I am very impressed with the low light shots I get.
I would never get some of the pictures on my 6S. Here is one example.

Attachments

• E3D03F0D-46D7-474B-8A0D-8F92F8336338.JPG
    E3D03F0D-46D7-474B-8A0D-8F92F8336338.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 136
Reactions: Jetcat3

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well the only thing I clicked was auto adjust on the picture

Here's another pic comparison

7 plus

730d2726ea3642011b27518d472e8b89.jpg

S8 plus

6372889d4bd5ce6639073d117aaa53f3.jpg

Yeah the distant objects here in this instance (video shelf with the ps4 game for example, or the bike wheel) is certainly blurrier / softer on the S8 version. You can see the apple on box in the background on the iPhone photo, but its a blurred oval on the S8 shot.

Are you uploading via Tapatalk or directly via browser ? Wondering if some bad compression at play is not helping the situation.

Reactions: dangskippy

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah the distant objects here in this instance (video shelf with the ps4 game for example, or the bike wheel) is certainly blurrier / softer on the S8 version. You can see the apple on box in the background on the iPhone photo, but its a blurred oval on the S8 shot.

Are you uploading via Tapatalk or directly via browser ? Wondering if some bad compression at play is not helping the situation.

Via Tapatalk as normal really. I took the dog picture as I took it out the box and had a cloth to clear it with so doubt there was anything on it in terms of the camera lens

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Via Tapatalk as normal really. I took the dog picture as I took it out the box and had a cloth to clear it with so doubt there was anything on it in terms of the camera lens

Tapatalk is the cause of that compression then. It's possible the iOS version and Android version of Tapatalk implement different compression algorithms when you upload a photo with them. The S8 shot / file uploaded via tapatalk is clearly smaller for a start, despite in reality both cameras shooting 12mp and file size being physically the same, so Tapatalk is already scaling differently depending on app version, let alone compression differences.

The only way to post accurate comparison shots is to use the browser and upload file as an attachment, and that way you avoid using a third party compression. :)

Reactions: Fernandez21

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Please listen to some music with headphones. How is the output level and how is the audio quality?
The included AKG headphones are pretty nice! Better than the usual ones you get with these phones.
I am not an audiophile...but the sound is the same as my other phones to me.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Tapatalk is the cause of that compression then. It's possible the iOS version and Android version of Tapatalk implement different compression algorithms when you upload a photo with them. The S8 shot / file uploaded via tapatalk is clearly smaller for a start, despite in reality both cameras shooting 12mp and file size being physically the same, so Tapatalk is already scaling differently depending on app version, let alone compression differences.

The only way to post accurate comparison shots is to use the browser and upload file as an attachment, and that way you avoid using a third party compression. :)

Not sure Tapatalk would be the reason though, looks the same when looking at them side by side. Will look into uploading them via browser at some point

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Not sure Tapatalk would be the reason though, looks the same when looking at them side by side. Will look into uploading them via browser at some point

Don't look to compare on a mobile screen.

Look at them on a proper monitor.

Tapapalk always adds compression and at times to a very detrimental degree.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Just comparing the sizes of the S7 and S8 post sizes: S7 sits at 236 right now and the S8 is sitting at 144.

Interesting to see the growth of the S8 post.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
After a half day with the S8+ here are some impressions, pro and con:

• Screen is as advertised - gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous amazing amazing amazing. Will never get tired of Sammy upping their own game.
  • Phone is super fast and FLUID out of the box, of course. However this is the first non-Pixel/Nexus Android phone in which I didn't have to go into the developer tools and reduce animation speed. We'll see how it holds up in a few months yada yada but whatever. I have been using this thing pretty much non-stop and not even a hint of a hiccup.
  • I have the jet black. It's gorgeous...until you touch it. The back of this thing retains fingerprings like I've never seen on a phone in my life, and I've owned god knows how many. And keep in mind: *I* normally am someone who doesn't care about fingerprints. I don't use cases, and maybe once a month take a soft cloth to any of my devices. But this is really kinda gross after a point. I don't know if there's an issue with the coating on the phone or what, but seriously. It's like you're afraid to even turn the phone over cause of how icky it looks back there.
  • Readjusting to non-pure Android (I've been using a Pixel) was problematic at first but Sammy's skin is working its charms. It's really unfair to crap on Sammy's Android skin at this point. It is a legitimately polished value-add version of Android. If they've gotten it to the point where it doesn't bog down over time as some complain (which I think are overblown but whatever), then I'd suggest it is probably a close second to having pure Android...and I can totally see the argument for it being a tick better (depends on how much use you get out of Galaxy specific features).
  • Battery has been BALLER! Still early, way early, but usually that's when I wreck a phone's battery because I don't put it down. Won't judge SOT yet, but thus far I've been impressed.
  • Wacky screen ratio is not my favoritist thing yet, but that's mostly because there isn't a whole lot of content that supports it.
  • Iris Scanner is MAGNIFICENT. Cannot stress how good it is. I want to be clear: I both set mine up and use it with GLASSES. Reads every time, and it's nearly instant. Yes, I might have found an alternative to using a fingerprint.
  • Which brings me to the dreaded FP scanner. It's a mixed bag. Placement is stupid but I haven't had any issues distinguishing between it and the camera lens. I know some reviewers have said it's been an issue for them, but I really don't know what they're doing to create that. You simply slide your finger from the edge of the phone to the FP scanner. It's not hard. HOWEVER: the scanner itself is finicky. This is easily the worst implementation since Sammy's really crappy slide-to-scan set up a few years ago. On that they should be ashamed. There are sub $400 phones with flawless FP scanning. This should be a no brainer in 2017. Very disappointing, and if it weren't for the Iris Scanner, it might have been a deal breaker for me because I unlock my phone with FP scans all day long. It still might be a deal breaker, quite frankly. We'll see.
  • Final note: tiny complaint but after using the iPhone 7+ and the Pixel XL it is SOOOO weird re-adjusting to a phone that doesn't light up just by picking it up.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

• Screen is as advertised - gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous amazing amazing amazing. Will never get tired of Sammy upping their own game.
  • Phone is super fast and FLUID out of the box, of course. However this is the first non-Pixel/Nexus Android phone in which I didn't have to go into the developer tools and reduce animation speed. We'll see how it holds up in a few months yada yada but whatever. I have been using this thing pretty much non-stop and not even a hint of a hiccup.
  • I have the jet black. It's gorgeous...until you touch it. The back of this thing retains fingerprings like I've never seen on a phone in my life, and I've owned god knows how many. And keep in mind: *I* normally am someone who doesn't care about fingerprints. I don't use cases, and maybe once a month take a soft cloth to any of my devices. But this is really kinda gross after a point. I don't know if there's an issue with the coating on the phone or what, but seriously. It's like you're afraid to even turn the phone over cause of how icky it looks back there.
  • Readjusting to non-pure Android (I've been using a Pixel) was problematic at first but Sammy's skin is working its charms. It's really unfair to crap on Sammy's Android skin at this point. It is a legitimately polished value-add version of Android. If they've gotten it to the point where it doesn't bog down over time as some complain (which I think are overblown but whatever), then I'd suggest it is probably a close second to having pure Android...and I can totally see the argument for it being a tick better (depends on how much use you get out of Galaxy specific features).
  • Battery has been BALLER! Still early, way early, but usually that's when I wreck a phone's battery because I don't put it down. Won't judge SOT yet, but thus far I've been impressed.
  • Wacky screen ratio is not my favoritist thing yet, but that's mostly because there isn't a whole lot of content that supports it.
  • Iris Scanner is MAGNIFICENT. Cannot stress how good it is. I want to be clear: I both set mine up and use it with GLASSES. Reads every time, and it's nearly instant. Yes, I might have found an alternative to using a fingerprint.
  • Which brings me to the dreaded FP scanner. It's a mixed bag. Placement is stupid but I haven't had any issues distinguishing between it and the camera lens. I know some reviewers have said it's been an issue for them, but I really don't know what they're doing to create that. You simply slide your finger from the edge of the phone to the FP scanner. It's not hard. HOWEVER: the scanner itself is finicky. This is easily the worst implementation since Sammy's really crappy slide-to-scan set up a few years ago. On that they should be ashamed. There are sub $400 phones with flawless FP scanning. This should be a no brainer in 2017. Very disappointing, and if it weren't for the Iris Scanner, it might have been a deal breaker for me because I unlock my phone with FP scans all day long. It still might be a deal breaker, quite frankly. We'll see.
  • Final note: tiny complaint but after using the iPhone 7+ and the Pixel XL it is SOOOO weird re-adjusting to a phone that doesn't light up just by picking it up.
Nice write up!

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

dangskippy

Suspended
Mar 1, 2017
It is overkill though. Pink noise testing and emission discussions? Not many people will read through that because the average user will care about battery life, cost, camera quality, any known bugs or hardware defects, and other core/basic functions.

I assume most people here that spend time posting about a phone on a forum are not normal people.

Every other blog says the same thing. These guys are the only ones that seem to be getting technical these days. Shrug. I REALLY enjoyed the review.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

The FP scanner issue should be ergonomically addressed in the Note 8. Samsung delayed the S8 enough to the point they just put it on the rear. Agreed with the fluidity and performance so far. Battery is decent so far. Got 1 hr of screen on time with wifi on the entire time and had 80% battery. We need more apps to deal with the ratio. Definitely also need that April patch and 7.1.1 too.

Reactions: jamezr and MRU

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Nice shot......look at the difference in detail on the dog. So much more detail and clear color on the S8
I don't know what you're seeing there (I still think the way the user is uploading the photos is causing issues, the iPhone picture expands much larger when clicked in the forum), the text on that heater/fan thing is night and day blurrier on the S8 photo, as is the apple logo on the box.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't know what you're seeing there (I still think the way the user is uploading the photos is causing issues, the iPhone picture expands much larger when clicked in the forum), the text on that heater/fan thing is night and day blurrier on the S8 photo, as is the apple logo on the box.
Might be the compression on the photos. But look at the dog as it is the center of the photo anyway. Look at the color difference....to me it looks so much better on the bottom one.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Might be the compression on the photos. But look at the dog as it is the center of the photo anyway. Look at the color difference....to me it looks so much better on the bottom one.
I my friend owns that rug, to my eyes (and again, I think we're seeing major issues in compression due to either the forum or the way the poster is uploading) the colors look more accurate on the iP7.

Edit: Jesus, just look at the difference in clarity on the PS4 between the photos, it's night and day! You can't even see the split on the S8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.