Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hinds90

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2017
lol I'm jealous of all of you who've got their phones. Hopefully I'm able to pick mine up Friday. What do you guys think my chances are getting one from a Verizon store just showing up a few min before they open?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
lol I'm jealous of all of you who've got their phones. Hopefully I'm able to pick mine up Friday. What do you guys think my chances are getting one from a Verizon store just showing up a few min before they open?

Verizon retail stores usually won't let you buy one outright without adding a plan. You can try but have Best Buy or equivalent as a back up plan.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Me too, super jelly :), Samsung Thailand sticking to official release date :( fortunately flying to UAE on Friday check the Mrs in to the hotel then I'm down to the Mall ASAP

Bad news is Thailand freebie bundle was good but UAE price slightly cheaper but lesser bundle, some air miles thing :rolleyes: but both are unlocked international versions

Hinds90

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2017
I talked to them today and was told they would be getting some in but not a huge amount. I'll probably just go ahead a preorder and pick up at the store.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Wow, usually Verizon takes very good care of our account and I've never had an issue with them until today.

I preordered the S8 yesterday and paid the $14.99 for priority overnight shipping by 10:30AM. I got the shipping notification today - it was sent via FedEx 2 day and it shows a deliver by 4-21-17 by 4:30PM. Okay, I won't get it early for sure, I guess that's fine I'm not going to make a fuss about that, but then why did I pay Verizon $14.99 for priority overnight 10:30AM shipping if they only paid for FedEx 2 day shipping? Seems simple, right?

Wrong.

Online chat, the person just keeps telling me, "We don't decide when the release date is unfortunately. If you want you can cancel your order and choose 2 day shipping, but then it won't ship until 4-21-17 and then you won't get it until next week. The reason you paid for priority overnight shipping is so that you would get it on release date, everything else won't be shipped until the 21st (which is 100% wrong)". I tried to clarify the situation a couple times before I just gave up and told him I'd just call in instead.

First guy I talk to when I call in tries to say, "Well there's still a chance it will be there on 4-21-17" to which I respond with, "Oh, it says it WILL be here on the 21st. I'm not worried about that. It's that I paid you $14.99 to ship it using priority overnight by 10:30AM and you guys are only paying for FedEx 2 day AND it's coming by 4:30PM, not 10:30AM". He responds, "Well there's still a chance it could get there before 10:30AM and until that possibility is gone, we can't refund you anything". Are you KIDDING me? The fact that the original point is so far over his head was killing me - I don't care if it does get here by 10:30AM by random chance (and it won't, FedEx usually comes later afternoon to my office unless we choose priority overnight shipping), they still did NOT pay for the service that I paid for! Anyway, he then says, "Even if we do refund you, the charge hasn't been posted to your account yet so we can't make any credits until that happens". Wow. I keep cool and tell him alright I guess we'll just call back (I had given up because this was going nowhere) thanked him and hung up.

I was about to just say screw it but just the principle of the situation was really irking me - it's only $15, but damn if I give them $15 for absolutely nothing - and it's not like we don't all pay them enough to begin with. I figured I'd try one more time. I called and the guy answers and I tell him immediately that I don't want to be rude but that I want to talk to a supervisor because the past two people I've gotten nowhere with. He then said, "well just let me know the situation and I'll see if I can help". I explained it to him and finally he said, "Okay so you just want that $14.99 credited to the account?" and of course I said, "YES, that is all, thank you". Well all is good now, but he still had to throw in a comment that was, "I don't see how you got a shipping email already, those phones (S8s) don't get shipped out until the 21st, but I set the credit anyway".

Ugh, now accuse me of making something up but just act like you're doing me a favor? Cool. If you guys would look at your own system you would see my sales email and the shipping email that I received (and YOU sent) today along with the tracking information that shows you sent it 2 day instead of priority overnight which is why I'm here to begin with. Also, do these guys all not know how their own preorder system works? The phone doesn't ship until release date usually? I think not, I even told them I understand that there is a release date but they still used the wrong shipping method - I've had iPhones sit at FedEx for 2-3 days then delivered on release date - but by 10:30AM priority overnight. Give me a break. Sorry this got me way more worked up than it should - I just can't stand terrible customer service and I was very taken aback by all of it because like I said, Verizon has usually always been great to us.

tl;dr I paid Verizon $14.99 for priority overnight shipping to deliver by 10:30AM, but they shipped it via FedEx 2 day by 4:30PM, took three calls before I finally got the shipping charge credited to the account but still got attitude even when it was finally resolved because these three employees don't understand their own internal procedures

That has always been my experience when it comes to Verizon customer service, which is why I'm not a customer with them anymore. Getting any type of credit from them (even when it's their screw up) is like pulling teeth.

I've always had the best experience with AT&T, I just wish they would compete more with early upgrades pricing.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Previous S7E owners, worth the upgrade to s8?
I had the S7 edge and the 8+ is a definite upgrade.
Its no secret here that I have said I don't like curved screens. I prefer flat displays.
But the curve is so subtle on the S8+ that I don't notice it is there. No false touches at all.
I will say one thing though......hate the FPS location. But I am getting used to it.
But the facial recognition software is really good. The rear camera is a slight upgrade due to better post processing. The front camera has auto focus now and some nice snapchat like filters.
Overall it is a nice upgrade.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Its no secret here that I have said I don't like curved screens. I prefer flat displays.
But the curve is so subtle on the S8+ that I don't notice it is there. No false touches at all.
I will say one thing though......hate the FPS location. But I am getting used to it.
But the facial recognition software is really good. The rear camera is a slight upgrade due to better post processing. The front camera has auto focus now and some nice snapchat like filters.

I'm wondering if we'll see even more price drops for the S7. Is the S8 worth nearly double the price of the s7?

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm wondering if we'll see even more price drops for the S7. Is the S8 worth nearly double the price of the s7?
for me with JoD it is worth it......if price is the driving factor....the OPO 3t is a great deal. The S7 edge is on sale right now on TMO for $480 so it is a great deal :)

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

The FP sensor on the back is pretty meh. It doesn't work like the Nexus 5X scanner did for me because I get a lot of "put your finger on the entire sensor messages."

I am going to go with the Iris Scanner or Facial Detection. Though are there any health risks with using the Iris Scanner?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Does the iris scanner and/or facial detection work without pressing any buttons. In other words do you just lift it to your face and it unlocks with no button presses or other prompts?

Reactions: blaine07

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
for me with JoD it is worth it......if price is the driving factor....the OPO 3t is a great deal. The S7 edge is on sale right now on TMO for $480 so it is a great deal :)
As someone else who had the Note 7, are you seeing some improvements or is this just taking what the Note 7 did right and bringing to the S line?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Today should be the day for my S8 order to arrive.

It is being delivered to the CPW store (along with all the other pre-orders that we did) but nothing showed yesterday.
Our deliveries are very hit and miss, sometimes they don't even turn up at all and we get double the day after!

I'm not too bothered about waiting til tomorrow, I just need rid of this damn Lumia.

But once it does arrive I will of course post my thoughts, even though most of you by then will be well onto posting the inevitable battery screen shots so we can all watch as people wonder if their device has a dud battery. :rolleyes::D:p

Excited to be back on Android though, even though I'm not filled with huge amounts of excitement about this phone currently.

Reactions: MRU

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Gotta love Samsung Smart Switch....restored from backup all my apps and settings from my S7 edge to my S8+.
My home screen and icon layouts all just the way I like them.

Samsung Smart Switch has really improved. And combined with Google's own version, it's a lot less painful going to a new phone!! I was shocked when I went from S6 to S7.

LoopPay? What a Fiasco.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Scrap that - not in yet. False alarm :D

Didn't come with DPD delivery so should come with ordinary delivery later - the hit and miss one! :cool:

Reactions: MRU

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
This device really is stunning and doesn't feel big at all
ef6cc8284fef336784253e3cca0f91ee.jpg
76115d3ffb8911c98edfbac0b79d383d.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.