Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
S8 plus pic
6ed02d3c026209d4ce818c7c5b3ca8ae.jpg

iPhone 7 plus

100838190689405d1e280f585169be5d.jpg

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone whose gotten the S8 have buyers remorse about not getting the S8+ model?
I don't get why they even made a 5.8 inch version. Might as well just get the plus.
[doublepost=1492688647][/doublepost]
Man using this all day yesterday and then picking up my 7 Plus made it feels so old and clunky. The craftsmanship with the build quality in the S8 is really superb.
Funny how by comparison something new can feel old.

Reactions: Demo Kit

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I don't get why they even made a 5.8 inch version. Might as well just get the plus.
[doublepost=1492688647][/doublepost]
Funny how by comparison something new can feel old.
Mostly just the design. Don't get me wrong I live the design of the iPhone 7 Plus but this S8 just feels so modern.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Scary thing is this s8 plus doesn't feel big at all

Thanks. Yeah I might be a bit influenced but for my local carrier of the S8 is available tomorrow but the plus model is going to be a couple of weeks. Also making me wonder is that I'm coming from the regular 6S and I'm thinking that the transition might be better if I went with the regular S8.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Yep and iris scanner works perfectly too so when the phone is on the desk it really isn't an issue with the fingerprint scanner

Phone is very smooth too
Yeah the iris scanner works better than j thought because I was one that's not sold on those type of features but they got it right this time around.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Nice camera pic comparison The Game 161. :)

You could have just posted the pics without saying which one took what and I'd have known instantly.
iPhone's washed out colours are an obvious give away.
Well, some say washed out, others say realistic.

I have never been a fan of the iPhone camera, personally.

Still no show for my phone. Apparently according to a colleague who is updating me, only 3 came in on the DPD delivery and they've had no Pluses? Don't really understand as yesterday we checked and all pre-orders had been 'picked' so delivery was showing for today. Will hopefully be in the main delivery later on but remains to be seen.

Getting anxious as I could do with a nice new toy to play with!

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Nice camera pic comparison The Game 161. :)

You could have just posted the pics without saying which one took what and I'd have known instantly.
iPhone's washed out colours are an obvious give away.
Well, some say washed out, others say realistic.

I have never been a fan of the iPhone camera, personally.

Still no show for my phone. Apparently according to a colleague who is updating me, only 3 came in on the DPD delivery and they've had no Pluses? Don't really understand as yesterday we checked and all pre-orders had been 'picked' so delivery was showing for today. Will hopefully be in the main delivery later on but remains to be seen.

Getting anxious as I could do with a nice new toy to play with!
I'm a fan of my 7 plus camera but the pics on the new Samsung phones look so sharp

I'm so tempted by this phone now. I know my dad will love it

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
The one thing I wish is that Android will incorporate the fingerprint scanner in more if it's apps. Sucks to have to enter my password all the time now on my banking apps coming from the iPhone.

My Arvest app never has allowed fingerprints on the app and I've always wondered why ‍♂️

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
As someone else who had the Note 7, are you seeing some improvements or is this just taking what the Note 7 did right and bringing to the S line?
i think the S8+ is an evolved Note 7 only without the s-pen. The curved screen is better...facial recognition and Iris scanning is so much better. Imho they took everything great from the Note 7 and brought it to the S line.
Except i don't like the location of the FPS to be honest.
[doublepost=1492691992][/doublepost]
Scary thing is this s8 plus doesn't feel big at all
exactly......when I first saw the S8+ at BB I thought i would not like how long and narrow it is. But after using it for a while I don't notice it at all. Then the curved display is a non factor....you don't notice it is there. I pickup my S8+ just like I do my 7+ or Pixel XL and don't even notice the curved screen.
[doublepost=1492692196][/doublepost]Here is a S8 bend test......it really holds rather well to bending and the fire test as well...

A big surprise is how fireproof the device is. It took consecutive lighter tests to legitimately damage the screen,

Reactions: Fernandez21

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Mostly just the design. Don't get me wrong I live the design of the iPhone 7 Plus but this S8 just feels so modern.
Yes I'm only talking about the design, but IMO it has its usability issues.
I like my 7 Plus matte black design, its very sleek.
[doublepost=1492692713][/doublepost]
With how well hands-free iris scanner works and more secure I can see fingerprint going away like bezels and home button.
Is it Iris or facial? Im seeing both mentioned here.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
With how well hands-free iris scanner works and more secure I can see fingerprint going away like bezels and home button.
I agree....as the both technologies evolve I could see it replacing the FPS to unlock the phone and secure apps.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yes I'm only talking about the design, but IMO it has its usability issues.
I like my 7 Plus matte black design, its very sleek.
[doublepost=1492692713][/doublepost]
Is it Iris or facial? Im seeing both mentioned here.
Both work very well

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Gosh, the more I think about it, the more I think the regular S8 might be the one for me. I just don't know that I absolutely the extra half inch of screen. The one thing I love about my 6s is that it's so easy to use with one hand. I use my phone a lot as I'm laying down for bed and it's nice to be able to use one hand only. Also when driving (yes, shame on me). I guess my only remaining question is if I'm really giving up a lot of battery life. Like am I giving up $100 worth of value with the battery. With having fast chargers all around me, I just don't know if I'd ever notice.

Seems like you all are really gun ho on the Plus model though.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
S8 plus pic
6ed02d3c026209d4ce818c7c5b3ca8ae.jpg

iPhone 7 plus

100838190689405d1e280f585169be5d.jpg

They are both fine pics, but viewing them both here on my big 4k monitor/screen, the iPhone 7 example shot there is actually quite a bit sharper and has more detail in the rear of the picture. The S8 picture the fence, leaves on the climbing plant and the background objects are quite blurry. Indeed the strawberry pot which is clear in the iPhone shot looks more like a halloween pumpkin on the S8.

Are you sure your camera sensor on the S8 hasn't got fingerprint grease on it perhaps resulting in the blurrier shot ?

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
They are both fine pics, but viewing them both here on my big 4k monitor/screen, the iPhone 7 example shot there is actually quite a bit sharper and has more detail in the rear of the picture. The S8 picture the fence, leaves on the climbing plant and the background objects are quite blurry. Indeed the strawberry pot which is clear in the iPhone shot looks more like a halloween pumpkin on the S8.

Are you sure your camera sensor on the S8 hasn't got fingerprint grease on it perhaps resulting in the blurrier shot ?
I noticed this immediately too. The iP7 shot perfectly captures the texture of the tarp, the S8...doesn't.

THAT SAID: To my eye it looks like whatever that poster did to upload the photos may be the cause. The S8 shot looks almost pixelated.

Reactions: MRU

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Anyone have the red tinted screen problem? I'm receiving mine later today. Crossing my fingers I don't have that issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.