Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Boo....Just found out that my order is delayed until the week of May 1st. I go through a local carrier and they sometimes get inventory late.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The Iris scanner setup was near instant, and works just as good as it did on the Note 7.

The Face detection was slightly difficult to setup, I had to be in bright light to set it up, and the setup is much longer than the Iris or FP setup. Once setup, it works just as fast as the Iris scanner. And both work flawless in complete darkness.

In complete darkness? Really? Wow. Nice.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Yeah, I don't get why people are so obsessed over the occasional stutter. My iPhone just stuttered when sliding between the notification page and the widgets page in the notification pull down. I slid the panel down, then swiped to go left to my widgets, and it clearly stuttered.

Happens on all phones, especially with pages that require data to load info. Yet if we see this on Touchwiz, everybody loses their minds.

The Verge now calls Touchwiz the best android skin.
The ipad pro stutters definitely......both big and small...ios has stuttering issues and i have seen it first hand....

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
It's going to stutter a little while downloading and installing app updates at first use.

The fp scanner can be set to pull down the notification shade just like the Pixel. You just have to enable that setting.
Thank you! I also found the one-handed mode, which does help a lot.
[doublepost=1492630078][/doublepost]
Ill also add the question of how fast is the face unlock?
The face unlock is EXTREMELY fast. I would say, within a second or less for me. I raise the phone, and it's basically unlocking by the time the screen is waking up.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
How far away can the phone be from your face in inches or cm where iris scanner still works consistently?

Most I tried so far is arm's length. Arm completely extended. Worked fine.

@LIVEFRMNYC

Can you input more than one face for facial unlock? Like, can I put one of my face, and one of my face with glasses on, for example?

Nope.

Ill also add the question of how fast is the face unlock?

As fast as the Iris scanner. Sometimes slightly faster.

Does the face unlock work with really ugly faces like mine?

No, the display will break and sensors will die. Stick with using a password only.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you! I also found the one-handed mode, which does help a lot.
[doublepost=1492630078][/doublepost]
The face unlock is EXTREMELY fast. I would say, within a second or less for me. I raise the phone, and it's basically unlocking by the time the screen is waking up.
So as your raising the phone the scanner detects the movement and turns on? No button pressing?

Reactions: epicrayban

comper

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
Wow, usually Verizon takes very good care of our account and I've never had an issue with them until today.

I preordered the S8 yesterday and paid the $14.99 for priority overnight shipping by 10:30AM. I got the shipping notification today - it was sent via FedEx 2 day and it shows a deliver by 4-21-17 by 4:30PM. Okay, I won't get it early for sure, I guess that's fine I'm not going to make a fuss about that, but then why did I pay Verizon $14.99 for priority overnight 10:30AM shipping if they only paid for FedEx 2 day shipping? Seems simple, right?

Wrong.

Online chat, the person just keeps telling me, "We don't decide when the release date is unfortunately. If you want you can cancel your order and choose 2 day shipping, but then it won't ship until 4-21-17 and then you won't get it until next week. The reason you paid for priority overnight shipping is so that you would get it on release date, everything else won't be shipped until the 21st (which is 100% wrong)". I tried to clarify the situation a couple times before I just gave up and told him I'd just call in instead.

First guy I talk to when I call in tries to say, "Well there's still a chance it will be there on 4-21-17" to which I respond with, "Oh, it says it WILL be here on the 21st. I'm not worried about that. It's that I paid you $14.99 to ship it using priority overnight by 10:30AM and you guys are only paying for FedEx 2 day AND it's coming by 4:30PM, not 10:30AM". He responds, "Well there's still a chance it could get there before 10:30AM and until that possibility is gone, we can't refund you anything". Are you KIDDING me? The fact that the original point is so far over his head was killing me - I don't care if it does get here by 10:30AM by random chance (and it won't, FedEx usually comes later afternoon to my office unless we choose priority overnight shipping), they still did NOT pay for the service that I paid for! Anyway, he then says, "Even if we do refund you, the charge hasn't been posted to your account yet so we can't make any credits until that happens". Wow. I keep cool and tell him alright I guess we'll just call back (I had given up because this was going nowhere) thanked him and hung up.

I was about to just say screw it but just the principle of the situation was really irking me - it's only $15, but damn if I give them $15 for absolutely nothing - and it's not like we don't all pay them enough to begin with. I figured I'd try one more time. I called and the guy answers and I tell him immediately that I don't want to be rude but that I want to talk to a supervisor because the past two people I've gotten nowhere with. He then said, "well just let me know the situation and I'll see if I can help". I explained it to him and finally he said, "Okay so you just want that $14.99 credited to the account?" and of course I said, "YES, that is all, thank you". Well all is good now, but he still had to throw in a comment that was, "I don't see how you got a shipping email already, those phones (S8s) don't get shipped out until the 21st, but I set the credit anyway".

Ugh, now accuse me of making something up but just act like you're doing me a favor? Cool. If you guys would look at your own system you would see my sales email and the shipping email that I received (and YOU sent) today along with the tracking information that shows you sent it 2 day instead of priority overnight which is why I'm here to begin with. Also, do these guys all not know how their own preorder system works? The phone doesn't ship until release date usually? I think not, I even told them I understand that there is a release date but they still used the wrong shipping method - I've had iPhones sit at FedEx for 2-3 days then delivered on release date - but by 10:30AM priority overnight. Give me a break. Sorry this got me way more worked up than it should - I just can't stand terrible customer service and I was very taken aback by all of it because like I said, Verizon has usually always been great to us.

tl;dr I paid Verizon $14.99 for priority overnight shipping to deliver by 10:30AM, but they shipped it via FedEx 2 day by 4:30PM, took three calls before I finally got the shipping charge credited to the account but still got attitude even when it was finally resolved because these three employees don't understand their own internal procedures

Reactions: Fernandez21

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Wow, usually Verizon takes very good care of our account and I've never had an issue with them until today.

I preordered the S8 yesterday and paid the $14.99 for priority overnight shipping by 10:30AM. I got the shipping notification today - it was sent via FedEx 2 day and it shows a deliver by 4-21-17 by 4:30PM. Okay, I won't get it early for sure, I guess that's fine I'm not going to make a fuss about that, but then why did I pay Verizon $14.99 for priority overnight 10:30AM shipping if they only paid for FedEx 2 day shipping? Seems simple, right?

Wrong.

Online chat, the person just keeps telling me, "We don't decide when the release date is unfortunately. If you want you can cancel your order and choose 2 day shipping, but then it won't ship until 4-21-17 and then you won't get it until next week. The reason you paid for priority overnight shipping is so that you would get it on release date, everything else won't be shipped until the 21st (which is 100% wrong)". I tried to clarify the situation a couple times before I just gave up and told him I'd just call in instead.

First guy I talk to when I call in tries to say, "Well there's still a chance it will be there on 4-21-17" to which I respond with, "Oh, it says it WILL be here on the 21st. I'm not worried about that. It's that I paid you $14.99 to ship it using priority overnight by 10:30AM and you guys are only paying for FedEx 2 day AND it's coming by 4:30PM, not 10:30AM". He responds, "Well there's still a chance it could get there before 10:30AM and until that possibility is gone, we can't refund you anything". Are you KIDDING me? The fact that the original point is so far over his head was killing me - I don't care if it does get here by 10:30AM by random chance (and it won't, FedEx usually comes later afternoon to my office unless we choose priority overnight shipping), they still did NOT pay for the service that I paid for! Anyway, he then says, "Even if we do refund you, the charge hasn't been posted to your account yet so we can't make any credits until that happens". Wow. I keep cool and tell him alright I guess we'll just call back (I had given up because this was going nowhere) thanked him and hung up.

I was about to just say screw it but just the principle of the situation was really irking me - it's only $15, but damn if I give them $15 for absolutely nothing - and it's not like we don't all pay them enough to begin with. I figured I'd try one more time. I called and the guy answers and I tell him immediately that I don't want to be rude but that I want to talk to a supervisor because the past two people I've gotten nowhere with. He then said, "well just let me know the situation and I'll see if I can help". I explained it to him and finally he said, "Okay so you just want that $14.99 credited to the account?" and of course I said, "YES, that is all, thank you". Well all is good now, but he still had to throw in a comment that was, "I don't see how you got a shipping email already, those phones (S8s) don't get shipped out until the 21st, but I set the credit anyway".

Ugh, now accuse me of making something up but just act like you're doing me a favor? Cool. If you guys would look at your own system you would see my sales email and the shipping email that I received (and YOU sent) today along with the tracking information that shows you sent it 2 day instead of priority overnight which is why I'm here to begin with. Also, do these guys all not know how their own preorder system works? The phone doesn't ship until release date usually? I think not, I even told them I understand that there is a release date but they still used the wrong shipping method - I've had iPhones sit at FedEx for 2-3 days then delivered on release date - but by 10:30AM priority overnight. Give me a break. Sorry this got me way more worked up than it should - I just can't stand terrible customer service and I was very taken aback by all of it because like I said, Verizon has usually always been great to us.

tl;dr I paid Verizon $14.99 for priority overnight shipping to deliver by 10:30AM, but they shipped it via FedEx 2 day by 4:30PM, took three calls before I finally got the shipping charge credited to the account but still got attitude even when it was finally resolved because these three employees don't understand their own internal procedures
Different situation but I cant even go into T mobile without being harassed by their employees. I clearly say i just want to look at the phones yet he/she hovers over me asking annoying questions and making an awkward situation.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
looking forward to trying the S8 plus tomorrow when it arrives

think facial unlock will be perfect for what my dad uses his phone for. he won't be round to pick it up until gone 5pm so i hope it comes 9am so i can use it most of the day

dangskippy

Suspended
Mar 1, 2017
Yeah, I don't get why people are so obsessed over the occasional stutter. My iPhone just stuttered when sliding between the notification page and the widgets page in the notification pull down. I slid the panel down, then swiped to go left to my widgets, and it clearly stuttered.

Happens on all phones, especially with pages that require data to load info. Yet if we see this on Touchwiz, everybody loses their minds.

The Verge now calls Touchwiz the best android skin.

Good read about it here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/co...to_seriously_talk_about_touchwiz_lag/dgh99f4/

Reactions: epicrayban

Hinds90

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2017
Finger print scanner bothers you because of placement or detection?

Anyone know what the delivery would be if I preordered now or should I just take my chance on going to the store Friday.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Finger print scanner bothers you because of placement or detection?

Anyone know what the delivery would be if I preordered now or should I just take my chance on going to the store Friday.
Just too close to the camera for me. I would just not use it there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.