Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
My phone won't arrive till later. I want to fill out the Gear VR request form first thing when I get mine.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
My phone won't arrive till later. I want to fill out the Gear VR request form first thing when I get mine.

Yeah I plan on doing that right away as soon as I get home and get it open I doubt i will even use the VR but I guess it will be cool to check out.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
just had a big delivery of a load of cases for the S8 and S8+ at work.

we have had the official ones for ages but finally got some third party ones. Gear4 have some great ones with the technology round the rim of the cases to protect against drops. We sell a truck load of them with iPhones as they're the best you can get.

best thing is they've even colour matched these to the orchid S8 too!

I'm opting for a cheap plastic clear case that will just cover the back and a screen protector once we get them. Went for that as it has cut outs specifically for the camera lens and the finger print scanner, which should avoid the mishits of the lens.

glad to hear a lot of you have taken delivery. How exciting!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah I'm sure I will sell it along with everyone else on eBay. There will be an influx of Gear VRs coming up, just like the 256GB promotion when the V20 dropped. Lol.

Maybe for $50 or so. I am looking to flip my used VR set for about $20-$25 to a friend. My S7 could work for VR in the meantime under wifi since I am holding onto it until the iPhone Edition or Note 8 comes out for a potential trade in deal.
[doublepost=1492615285][/doublepost]

Seems like the S8 has quick charge 2.0, which doesn't surprise me given how safe Samsung needs to be.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Arrived yesterday at our store. Majority are S8's and main color appears to be Orchid Grey.
20170418_125233.jpg

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
The Verge: https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/19/15354444/samsung-galaxy-s8-big-screen-ergonomics

The Galaxy S8 Plus is an ergonomic marvel

... for its size, the S8 Plus is more impressive and defies more expectations than its regular counterpart. Google’s Pixel XL, Apple’s iPhone 7 Plus, Huawei’s Mate 9, and even Xiaomi’s Mi Mix — which also has a bezel-starved display all feel like oversized bricks compared to the S8 Plus.
Not sure about this statement. They are all roughly the same size but the S8+ has a bigger screen.
When I tried out the S8+ it didnt feel any easier to use than my 7 Plus. One handed use is basically out the window with all these phones now.
[doublepost=1492616516][/doublepost]I will say the last phone that I really liked design wise was the LG G3. Now that phone makes my 7 Plus feel like a brick.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yeah, I don't get why people are so obsessed over the occasional stutter. My iPhone just stuttered when sliding between the notification page and the widgets page in the notification pull down. I slid the panel down, then swiped to go left to my widgets, and it clearly stuttered.

Happens on all phones, especially with pages that require data to load info. Yet if we see this on Touchwiz, everybody loses their minds.

The Verge now calls Touchwiz the best android skin.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Got ours today. The display is really nice, I still find the 8+ a little hard to use one handed. I am 6'6 with big hands, and I cannot reach the top while holding it, comfortably. I miss the Pixel fingerprint sensor that could scroll the notification shade. Otherwise, the width is nice, screen is beautiful. It's already stuttering, but could just be some updates and indexing going on. Bixby seems mostly pointless, the camera AR feature was not working well. Hopefully, with some updates, that will be a lot nicer.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Got ours today. The display is really nice, I still find the 8+ a little hard to use one handed. I am 6'6 with big hands, and I cannot reach the top while holding it, comfortably. I miss the Pixel fingerprint sensor that could scroll the notification shade. Otherwise, the width is nice, screen is beautiful. It's already stuttering, but could just be some updates and indexing going on. Bixby seems mostly pointless, the camera AR feature was not working well. Hopefully, with some updates, that will be a lot nicer.

It's going to stutter a little while downloading and installing app updates at first use.

The fp scanner can be set to pull down the notification shade just like the Pixel. You just have to enable that setting.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, I don't get why people are so obsessed over the occasional stutter. My iPhone just stuttered when sliding between the notification page and the widgets page in the notification pull down. I slid the panel down, then swiped to go left to my widgets, and it clearly stuttered.

Happens on all phones, especially with pages that require data to load info. Yet if we see this on Touchwiz, everybody loses their minds.

The Verge now calls Touchwiz the best android skin.
Yes the only phone that was really lag free was my iPhone 4S when it first came out. That was a smooth phone.

I think the reason both ios and android can lag here and there is the cpu clock ramping up from sleep.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just picked up my S8+. For myself, the finger sensor is not an issue at all. Holding it naked, it's easy for me. And holding it with a back case is even easier. My experience in the store was slightly differ, but now that I have it and it's not tethered to a security cord, I'm pleasantly surprised what a non issue the FP placement is for me.

Using the Spigen Neo Hybrid back case.

ngd7o4.jpg

2d7x9g7.jpg

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Just picked up my S8+. For myself, the finger sensor is not an issue at all. Holding it naked, it's easy for me. And holding it with a back case is even easier. My experience in the store was slightly differ, but now that I have it and it's not tethered to a security cord, I'm pleasantly surprised what a non issue the FP placement is for me.

Using the Spigen Neo Hybrid back case.

ngd7o4.jpg

2d7x9g7.jpg
How accurate is the FP sensor?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Yes the only phone that was really lag free was my iPhone 4S when it first came out. That was a smooth phone.

No it wasn't. Mine was laggy AF playing a simple top down shooter even at low 640p resolution. And, switching between apps meant automatic reload with a deficient 512MB DRAM.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just noticed that the flash and heart rate sensor is under the glass.

How accurate is the FP sensor?

As accurate as my LG V20, which is as good as it gets. Most back FP sensors are like that vs front button sensors.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The Iris scanner setup was near instant, and works just as good as it did on the Note 7.

The Face detection was slightly difficult to setup, I had to be in bright light to set it up, and the setup is much longer than the Iris or FP setup. Once setup, it works just as fast as the Iris scanner. And both work flawless in complete darkness.

That's saying a lot because the V20 FP Scanner was on point.

Yup. But I would absolutely recommend a back case or back skin. For some reason the back of this phone is the worst fingerprint and oil magnet I've ever experienced. And I don't even have oily hands. It's possible if using naked, that can interfere with the FP sensor.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The Iris scanner setup was near instant, and works just as good as it did on the Note 7.

The Face detection was slightly difficult to setup, I had to be in bright light to set it up, and the setup is much longer than the Iris or FP setup. Once setup, it works just as fast as the Iris scanner. And both work flawless in complete darkness.

How far away can the phone be from your face in inches or cm where iris scanner still works consistently?

Interesting face unlock works in complete darkness. It must be using infrared then which is similar to Microsoft Hello that's photo spoof resistant. Can you trick it with a paper and phone photo?

Was just thinking they can also use Google's project Soli for face contour mapping to enhance face unlock security since it's more precise. Like saying a keyword and mapping how the face changes for anti-photo spoofing.

Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
No it wasn't. Mine was laggy AF playing a simple top down shooter even at low 640p resolution. And, switching between apps meant automatic reload with a deficient 512MB DRAM.
that was not my experience. Maybe you had a lemon.

Im talking about the 4S on IOS5.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.