Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swein1992

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Have suspected the battery quality issue with the Note 7 was because they switched manufacturing to China like most things (don't ask about my Goodyear Eagle F1 tires). Glad to know Samsung switched back to South Korean made which is on par with Japanese quality and from experience have gotten nearly four years without degradation.

S8+ Battery
yUFeEXxjAmae6CPX.huge

Note 7 Battery
3AuffXsIkk4aUsLK.huge

You do know that the Note 7 battery was made by Samsung China right? And didn't they say a design flaw contributed to the issue?

Reactions: MRU

FlexPen76

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
My order (direct Samsung UK) has just changed status to shipped for S8. Ive also got the S8+ on order to compare and it's still at not processing. No tracking yet, but looking good for UK orders being delivered in next day or two.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Really ? That sucks, i thought i had read previously you installed the public beta. Not had any lingering problems with any of the main iOS 10 updates on my iPhone 7 or iPad Pro personally ... But as with any of these things usage case varies let alone plethora of possible contributing factors ..

Did you try doing a clean install (emergency firmware recovery / restore) and set up as new device rather than from iCloud backup ?
It was originally set up as a new device. All my iOS devices after iPhone 6 have been set up as new and are not restored from iCloud backup, and it's easy for me to do that since I run very few apps, and all of them are mainstream ones like Google Photos and standard commonly used news and weather apps. Most of my storage is taken up by photos and videos. I will definitely do a restore and set up as new again once iOS 10 settles down into a finished product. I thought it would be done by now but they seem to be perpetually beta-ing it.

The iPad may not be able to wait that long. I have a lot of trouble with this forum. I can post but sometimes as I'm entering text everything freezes so I can't finish typing. I have to hit Post Reply and then edit out my typos after I post. My iPad has even fewer apps on it than my iPhone. It's very disappointing for it to run so badly when it's only a year and a half old and used primarily to access this forum and Amazon. I sometimes think some sites ads have clogged it up. I clear the cache but...I don't know.

I do not have time to set it up this week though. There's a lot going on at my house right now. I can pop in and read and post but setting up my devices will have to wait for the weekend. I hope when the S8 gets here I'll at least get to unbox it. I know you can't tell from my many and frequent posts, but I've been all over the place up to all sorts of stuff since Saturday. Today was a slight break but I still got a lot done. I did sneak in a nap, though. :) My allergies kind of forced that issue.

Reactions: MRU

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I've been watching all the reviews. That f*cking FP scanner placement. I unlock my phone about a billion times a day with the FP. If that turns into a deal breaker....GAAAAAAAAH

Yup. We all have our own annoyances with phones and this would be a likely deal breaker for me. And it's not so much about unlocking the phone as when I'm on Android, I use Smart Lock so I rarely even need to unlock. For me, I use the FP scanner repeatedly throughout the day for apps, especially 1Password. Rear facing already drives me a bit nuts---terribly positioned rear facing would ultimately irritate me to no end.

Reactions: Oohara and MRU

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Couple people got their T-Mobile orders yesterday and today on another forum. They verified with pics too :)

For me, looks like the shipping date of the 19th is going to be it. My UPS tracking still says just label created. It's fine by me. It is encouraging all of the positive reviews.

Hinds90

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2017
Yup. We all have our own annoyances with phones and this would be a likely deal breaker for me. And it's not so much about unlocking the phone as when I'm on Android, I use Smart Lock so I rarely even need to unlock. For me, I use the FP scanner repeatedly throughout the day for apps, especially 1Password. Rear facing already drives me a bit nuts---terribly positioned rear facing would ultimately irritate me to no end.

Have you got a hands on one yet. I messed around with both today at Best Buy and the figure print scanner is actually in a natural location for me. Have no problem reaching on the s8+ and didn't even have to fully extend my finger for the s8 (my hands are bigger than average).

I haven't ordered yet because I was planning on just walking in the store to purchase one Friday. Do you guys think people who purchase the day of at the store will have issues.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Have you got a hands on one yet. I messed around with both today at Best Buy and the figure print scanner is actually in a natural location for me. Have no problem reaching on the s8+ and didn't even have to fully extend my finger for the s8 (my hands are bigger than average).

I haven't ordered yet because I was planning on just walking in the store to purchase one Friday. Do you guys think people who purchase the day of at the store will have issues.
If history repeats itself, the S8+ may be difficult to find for a few weeks, while the S8 should have decent stock. This is assuming Samsung was able to allocate enough resources (in this case, curved displays) similar to the S7 production count.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
maybe it's me but i would more want to use facial scanning to unlock as it looks so smooth..how likely is somebody going to have a photo of you anyway?
[doublepost=1492567916][/doublepost]
If history repeats itself, the S8+ may be difficult to find for a few weeks, while the S8 should have decent stock. This is assuming Samsung was able to allocate enough resources (in this case, curved displays) similar to the S7 production count.
not really the case here in UK..I could order the S8 plus now and still get it by thursday

Reactions: Klyster and jamezr

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I've been watching all the reviews. That f*cking FP scanner placement. I unlock my phone about a billion times a day with the FP. If that turns into a deal breaker....GAAAAAAAAH

What gets me about that is, reviewers act as if they are refusing to adjust the phone in their hand. On my iP7+ I adjust it in my hand countless times a day tapping the status bar to go to top. Same with my LG V20, I have to adjust my hand to use the second screen. I don't even think about it when doing so.
[doublepost=1492569186][/doublepost]
maybe it's me but i would more want to use facial scanning to unlock as it looks so smooth..how likely is somebody going to have a photo of you anyway?

Not only that, but it has to be a damn good photo. As the guy in that video claim most photos of himself failed. Also, it was a photo from a another Samsung display. So while less secure, it's still not easy to trick unless someone has time on there hands.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Unlikely if it gets lost or stolen but how often does that happen anyway. Like the adage 'use the right tool for the job' people should consider the appropriate authentication for the situation. For convenience use face unlock, iris for top secret or fingerprint for somewhere inbetween.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
What gets me about that is, reviewers act as if they are refusing to adjust the phone in their hand. On my iP7+ I adjust it in my hand countless times a day tapping the status bar to go to top. Same with my LG V20, I have to adjust my hand to use the second screen. I don't even think about it when doing so.

Not only that, but it has to be a damn good photo. As the guy in that video claim most photos of himself failed. Also, it was a photo from a another Samsung display. So while less secure, it's still not easy to trick unless someone has time on there hands.
End of the day I see it this way..if somebody takes your phone and really wants to get into your device they likely will anyway.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
End of the day I see it this way..if somebody takes your phone and really wants to get into your device they likely will anyway.

I think if you remotely lock your device, it will require a password first to enable any type of biometrics again. There is also the secure start up security when your phone is rebooted.

So the only ones you have to worry about are the ones you know. Basically, if your significant other doesn't trust you, then using face security is to their benefit. :p

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think if you remotely lock your device, it will require a password first to enable any type of biometrics again. There is also the secure start up security when you phone is rebooted.

So the only ones you have to worry about are the ones you know. Basically, if your significant other doesn't trust you, then using face security is to their benefit. :p
hey this is where the secret folder i'm sure would come in handy ha

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Smart Lock is soooo flakey for me. I have a Pixel XL, it will retain the address for a bit then nope. I use FP scan to unlock just about everywhere.
[doublepost=1492571710][/doublepost]

I hear you, and don't necessarily disagree. However a couple of reviewers have gone so far as to suggest it's placement makes it almost unusable. My expectation is that will probably be hyperbole and I'll make it work.

But: FP scanner is something I use virtually every time I pick up my phone.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Smart Lock is soooo flakey for me. I have a Pixel XL, it will retain the address for a bit then nope. I use FP scan to unlock just about everywhere.

I think he means the Smart Lock that keeps the phone unlock when connected to a Bluetooth device. Which works very well. It's enabled for my car BT, and sometimes I enable it to work when connected to my smartwatch.

I hear you, and don't necessarily disagree. However a couple of reviewers have gone so far as to suggest it's placement makes it almost unusable. My expectation is that will probably be hyperbole and I'll make it work.

But: FP scanner is something I use virtually every time I pick up my phone.

I've heard many reviews say that it's because it's hard to feel for, hence the mistake of putting your finger on the camera. But they also say that a back case makes it so much easier to feel for it. And yes, as I played with the phone a couple of brief times, I can see the possibility of the FP placement being a pain in the ass if handling the phone naked. Mainly the S8+, as the S8 was pretty easy for me.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
my thoughts about the new OLED iPhone later this year:

I hope you are all aware of the fact as soon as the (magical OLED) version of the new iPhone later this year goes on pre order, you have to order within 0,04 seconds after the pre order starts...it will be backordered after 0,04 seconds for maybe like 3 or 4 months.

Look at the iPhone 7 (and this was just 3 year same design iPhone) and AirPods. iPhone 7 had shipping time sometimes of 6 to 8 weeks, after pre orders (and even weeks after these pre orders). AirPods still shipping times of more then 2 or 3 months.

Can you imagine what a total rehaul of a new OLED (first one ever) screen iPhone will do, I really think most people are looking at 3 or 4 months before you can get hold of this new 2018 OLED iPhone. This iPhone will be so popular, it will be like winning a lottery if you can get one.

edit: I know, not much to do with the new Samsung S8. But I think, people who are holding off to wait for the new iPhone later this year, should keep this in mind

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Yeah I'm really not worried about the ergonomics or the security of facial unlock.

Everyone has summed up the reasons why all pretty well.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I've heard many reviews say that it's because it's hard to feel for, hence the mistake of putting your finger on the camera. But they also say that a back case makes it so much easier to feel for it. And yes, as I played with the phone a couple of brief times, I can see the possibility of the FP placement being a pain in the ass if handling the phone naked. Mainly the S8+, as the S8 was pretty easy for me.

I don't see what the big deal is. Tried it at the store and it was straightforward to pick up phone with index finger starting on side of phone then slide over to feel for fingerprint in one motion. Perhaps it's because I touch type that it's not a big deal. Even for hunt and peckers they can just turn the phone side ways and look. Or, a fool proof case with smaller/tapered camera opening so you can't touch it. Wonder how these people find the gas and brake pedals on a car without looking.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
my thoughts about the new OLED iPhone later this year:

I hope you are all aware of the fact as soon as the (magical OLED) version of the new iPhone later this year goes on pre order, you have to order within 0,04 seconds after the pre order starts...it will be backordered after 0,04 seconds for maybe like 3 or 4 months.

Look at the iPhone 7 (and this was just 3 year same design iPhone) and AirPods. iPhone 7 had shipping time sometimes of 6 to 8 weeks, after pre orders (and even weeks after these pre orders). AirPods still shipping times of more then 2 or 3 months.

Can you imagine what a total rehaul of a new OLED (first one ever) screen iPhone will do, I really think most people are looking at 3 or 4 months before you can get hold of this new 2018 OLED iPhone. This iPhone will be so popular, it will be like winning a lottery if you can get one.

edit: I know, not much to do with the new Samsung S8. But I think, people who are holding off to wait for the new iPhone later this year, should keep this in mind

It just might be a PR nightmare for Apple. The iPhone Edition is going to be so different from the other iPhones that will be released, that loyal Apple consumers will raise more hell than ever before if they can't have access to it. I wanted the jet black iP7+ at first, but myself and many others just settled for a iP7+ of any color. And even that was hard to find weeks after. Apple consumers are NOT going to go for that this time around, especially fanboys. The enticement of the iPhone edition compared to the usual iPhone design will be too much.
[doublepost=1492575066][/doublepost]
I don't see what the big deal is. Tried it at the store and it was straightforward to pick up phone with index finger starting on side of phone then slide over to feel for fingerprint in one motion. Perhaps it's because I touch type that it's not a big deal. Even for hunt and peckers they can just turn the phone side ways and look. Or, a fool proof case with smaller/tapered camera opening so you can't touch it. Wonder how these people find the gas and brake pedals on a car without looking.

With the S8 I agree. But with the S8+, I understand some critic's sentiments. But overall, I doubt anyone will be talking about the FP placement a month after release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.