Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
On the other hand, be wary of following the blind.

Many don't understand basic concepts such as iOS apps getting suspended in the background and killed from memory after 3 minutes unless they employ app state suspension to and restore from storage. That's why those fast app switching benchmarks are meaningless.

For those more familiar with Mac, iOS is minimal like System 6 which can even run well on a watch vs full featured MacOS/Windows/Linux/Android.

Those videos clearly show some android phones reloading games while ios does not.
I guess apple prioritized what should and what should not run in the background.

Lets face it, most people dont torrent on their phones.

Reactions: Fernandez21 and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My iPhone 7Plus is acting up. I think it needs to be wiped and re set up as new again. Too many iOS updates this year must have borked something up along the way. .

That's the main reason to not install the Public Beta versions. They inevitably have stability issues otherwise wouldn't be BETA. Best bet for stability will always be to wait for the official release even if the dreaded get it sooner temptation is nagging at your heels ... :)

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
That's the main reason to not install the Beta versions. They inevitably have issues otherwise wouldn't be BETA. Best bet for stability will be to wait for the official release even if the temptation is nagging at your heels ... :)
It's not beta. I don't have easy access to beta iOS. My husband used to be a developer, so he does, but he never installs them anymore either since he's more of an executive now than a hands on developer. It the official public release every time, that everyone gets pushed to their iPads and phones. We got a lot of them for iOS 10. Some were awful and screwed up my battery life. It was a rocky year for iOS stability, in my opinion. I have had a lot of app crashes on all of my iOS devices.

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
Some users on a Swedish forum got theirs early and they managed to remap the bixby button.

Sorry if this isn't news been busy at work, not able to keep up.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's not beta. I don't have easy access to beta iOS. My husband used to be a developer, so he does, but he never installs them anymore either since he's more of an executive now than a hands on developer. It the official public release every time, that everyone gets pushed to their iPads and phones. We got a lot of them for iOS 10. Some were awful and screwed up my battery life. It was a rocky year for iOS stability, in my opinion. I have had a lot of app crashes on all of my iOS devices.
Really ? That sucks, i thought i had read previously you installed the public beta. Not had any lingering problems with any of the main iOS 10 updates on my iPhone 7 or iPad Pro personally ... But as with any of these things usage case varies let alone plethora of possible contributing factors ..

Did you try doing a clean install (emergency firmware recovery / restore) and set up as new device rather than from iCloud backup ?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
With 64GB of onboard storage, I don't think I even need a microSD card. Funnily, I have a spare 32GB card lying around which Samsung gave to me for free for registering my S7E last year.

Reactions: Roadstar and MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
This is about the time when I regret not being an early adopter through Tmobile.

Best Buy better keep to that May 9th unlocked S8 release date. On that note, will the Samsung online store have unlocked ones to sell on May 9th, too?

Anyone read/hear any more info on unlocked models? It's exciting that they're making them available so quickly after initial release.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
With 64GB of onboard storage, I don't think I even need a microSD card. Funnily, I have a spare 32GB card lying around which Samsung gave to me for free for registering my S7E last year.

Yeah the 128 on my Pixel and iPhone are total overkill to me. 64 is my personal sweet spot storage wise as it offers me plenty of room without ever concerning me, but doesn't leave me feel like I'm wasting available storage ...

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yeah the 128 on my Pixel and iPhone are total overkill to me. 64 is my personal sweet spot storage wise as it offers me plenty of room without ever concerning me, but doesn't leave me feel like I'm wasting available storage ...

Same here! 64GB has always been a great middle ground for my usage, too. The 32GB microSD card will just be for extra emergency storage needs. ;)

I hope 64GB becomes more and more standard. Ahem, Apple and Google Pixel 2.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
This is about the time when I regret not being an early adopter through Tmobile.

Best Buy better keep to that May 9th unlocked S8 release date. On that note, will the Samsung online store have unlocked ones to sell on May 9th, too?

Anyone read/hear any more info on unlocked models? It's exciting that they're making them available so quickly after initial release.

I have not kept up to the date because I need a lower price as well so will have to wait it out even longer.

Reactions: epicrayban

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Same here! 64GB has always been a great middle ground for my usage, too. The 32GB microSD card will just be for extra emergency storage needs. ;)

I hope 64GB becomes more and more standard. Ahem, Apple and Google Pixel 2.

Same here. With my 128 iPhone 7+ I really feel like I'm wasting storage space, as well as the premium I paid to get it... Not that Apple wouldn't have priced it the same if the middle option had been 64 and 128 had been the top one ;)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Same here. With my 128 iPhone 7+ I really feel like I'm wasting storage space, as well as the premium I paid to get it... Not that Apple wouldn't have priced it the same if the middle option had been 64 and 128 had been the top one ;)

Lol, I have a 256gb ip7+. After having to hand in my second Note 7 I found myself without a phone and was desperate, the only iPhone I could find was the highest one, sigh. It will probably lose resale value because not many want to pay extra for the memory. I also don't tend to use more than 20 or 30gb's usually, my days of playing games on my phone are long gone and all my pictures/videos get uploaded to OneDrive as soon as I hit wifi at home and work.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Lol, I have a 256gb ip7+. After having to hand in my second Note 7 I found myself without a phone and was desperate, the only iPhone I could find was the highest one, sigh. It will probably lose resale value because not many want to pay extra for the memory. I also don't tend to use more than 20 or 30gb's usually, my days of playing games on my phone are long gone and all my pictures/videos get uploaded to OneDrive as soon as I hit wifi at home and work.
Don't worry I hear the chicks dig it ;)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

on my 256GB I have about 110GB left so i do need the extra space as I like to have all my photos on my devices. I know this could be avoided if i used dropbox or google photos but i like the setup.

I have about 78GB left on my 256GB ipad pro but thats more due to the movies i have on there

Reactions: MRU

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Have suspected the battery quality issue with the Note 7 was because they switched manufacturing to China like most things (don't ask about my Goodyear Eagle F1 tires). Glad to know Samsung switched back to South Korean made which is on par with Japanese quality and from experience have gotten nearly four years without degradation.

S8+ Battery
yUFeEXxjAmae6CPX.huge

Note 7 Battery
3AuffXsIkk4aUsLK.huge

Reactions: Jetcat3 and jamezr

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
The Verge loves it too. It's the very first thing mentioned in this article from them: https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/18/15338052/samsung-galaxy-s8-touchwiz-android-software

No more TouchWiz jokes: Samsung's software has caught up to its hardware

I still can't believe they're calling TouchWiz the best Android skin now. That statement would never have been uttered a couple of years ago.

Heck, it's not even called TouchWiz anymore!

I can believe it. I think Sammy has grown leaps over the last two iterations or so. They've managed to scale back gimmicks while leaving i place legitimate added functionality to Android. What they were lacking is polish, and it seems they've finally gotten there.

Also: DAAAAAMN happy my concern over review embargos was wrong! The reviews today have been outstanding. And my phone delivers tomorrow!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.