Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
And here come the reviews.

The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/18/15328968/samsung-galaxy-s8-review-s8-plus

SAMSUNG GALAXY S8 REVIEW: AHEAD OF THE CURVE
The new S8 and S8 Plus aren't perfect, but they are damn close

Android Police: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...xcellent-mainstream-smartphones-from-samsung/

Galaxy S8 and S8+ review: Another pair of excellent mainstream smartphones from Samsung

Android Authority: http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-plus-review-760314/

Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus review: Almost to Infinity

Android Central:
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsu...feature&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=ac

Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ review: Such great heights
Samsung has taken its proven formula and stretched it to new heights — and prices. But in doing so has made a couple of the year's best phones.

Last edited:

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Yep, it's not a wonder that the initial reviews are glowing. My S7 Edge was also awesome when I got it, but now half a year later lag has set in and updates have become really infrequent and lagging behind especially with security updates. So as tempting as the S8 hardware is, I'm sitting out for now, waiting for Samsung to show some proof about committing to a more long-term support before giving them any more money.

Reactions: nj1266

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Yep, it's not a wonder that the initial reviews are glowing. My S7 Edge was also awesome when I got it, but now half a year later lag has set in and updates have become really infrequent and lagging behind especially with security updates. So as tempting as the S8 hardware is, I'm sitting out for now, waiting for Samsung to show some proof about committing to a more long-term support before giving them any more money.

It's more about your apps, widgets, and settings, than Samsung phones lagging. In my opinion of course.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
And here come the YouTube reviews..always excited when this happens right before official launch.

Looking forward to my hands on with my S8 plus in a few days...ooops I mean my dads phone ha

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

Mr mobiles review noted some lag and illustrated some of it.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
It's more about your apps, widgets, and settings, than Samsung phones lagging. In my opinion of course.
Well, there are multiple reports of lag even when there aren't many apps. Still it could be due to some of the issues you mentioned. However, motivation for troubleshooting is diminished quite badly due to lack of updates. I hope Samsung improves on the software front some day.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I've never owned a phone that didn't have some lag at some point. All phones lag at some point, even my iPhone 7 Plus.

Same here. Just the other day, two things happened on my iPhone: 1) Instagram took time to load. It grayed out showing I tapped on it, then just stayed gray for a split second before it actually loaded; and 2) On a completely separate occasion, when I pulled down the notification shade, there was noticeable stutter. The pulling down animation wasn't as smooth as it normally is, and the notifications themselves didn't load until a split second later.

I saw similar things on my Pixel and my S7 Edge experiences last year.

It happens every now and then but is so minuscule between all the modern flagships that it's not, in my opinion, worth nitpicking or worrying about. That's just me.

Last edited:

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Same here. Just the other day, two things happened on my iPhone: 1) Instagram took forever to load. It grayed out showing I tapped on it, then just stayed gray for a split second before it actually loaded; and 2) On a completely separate occasion, when I pulled down the notification shade, there was noticeable stutter. The pulling down animation wasn't as smooth as it normally is, and the notifications themselves didn't load until a split second later.

I saw similar things on my Pixel and my S7 Edge experiences last year.

It happens every now and then but is so minuscule between all the modern flagships that it's not, in my opinion, worth nitpicking or worrying about. That's just me.
Yep, there's some lag on all phones, but my S7E seems to have quite a dose of it. However, I'd live with the occasional lag if the updates just kept coming steadily. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I always enjoy "Mr. Mobile's" reviews. I didn't like the performance issues / stutters he talked about around the 9 min mark. Hopefully 7.1.1 will help.

9 minute mark? Did you mean 7 min mark, when he swipes left for Bixby?

I've noticed anything that requires swiping left to load data always has a stutter. It's true of Samsung devices with Flipboard, it's true of the Pixel with Google Now cards (I experienced the occasional stutter when I had the Pixel), and is true of iOS' notification shade pull down.

I think things that require data to update will show a bit of stutter in the animation or data being loaded.

Or did you mean another point in the video? I only quickly scanned through it. Too.many.reviews...

Reactions: 5105973

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ I already pointed out from previous hands on videos that the scrolling / framerate in Bixby's home screen looked choppy.

So Samsung replaced the crappy Briefing / UpDay home screen that always stuttered or lagged with Bixby and still didn't fix it ......

Can you actually turn that Bixby home screen off ? (which almost everyone did with Briefing / UpDay).

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
9 minute mark? Did you mean 7 min mark, when he swipes left for Bixby?

I've noticed anything that requires swiping left to load data always has a stutter. It's true of Samsung devices with Flipboard, it's true of the Pixel with Google Now cards (I experienced the occasional stutter when I had the Pixel), and is true of iOS' notification shade pull down.

I think things that require data to update will show a bit of stutter in the animation or data being loaded.

Or did you mean another point in the video? I only quickly scanned through it. Too.many.reviews...

oops. 5:30 mark. "add-ons take their toll". shows some instagram lag, etc. and just describes it almost like "samsung being samsung". but I'll reserve judgement until mine arrives

Reactions: MRU and epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yep, there's some lag on all phones, but my S7E seems to have quite a dose of it. However, I'd live with the occasional lag if the updates just kept coming steadily. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

My S7E was noticeably slower than my Pixel, but we're talking about milliseconds of differences and comparing devices that are months apart. To me, that's understandable.

Regarding updates, I do agree. I am hoping the single SKU of the S8 (in US models at least) and Samsung's new promise to keep up with monthly security patches for their unlocked models means we'll see improvements on this front. If nothing else, Samsung shows they are a company that can pivot and make improvements if they focus on it.

On the carrier-side, security patches have been kept up fairly well depending on the carrier. The unlocked models last year, though, were a complete crapshoot. Again, hopefully that changes with the S8 unlock this year. I believe you're outside the US, however, correct? Hopefully it improves where you are, too. For what it's worth, if you only install from the Play store and trusted third party sites, the security of your phone should be fine.

As for full software updates, no question about it; Samsung needs to get better at those. As I've said before, I understand the Android landscape. I'm even willing to accept a maximum 3 month waiting period. It allows for glitches and kinks to get worked out (see Pixel's latest 7.1.2 update that broke FPS scanning!) and it allows Samsung to adapt it to their Grace UX and features. I respect that. But, they must give a reasonable timeframe and actually keep to it. I think day one updates are overrated and more bragging right than practicality; I don't need an update that risks any glitches, small or big, to an otherwise fine running device. I can wait a bit, but Samsung has to deliver sooner than in the past.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Watched a few videos now. Can't say I'm shocked or surprised by anything. Honestly the negatives in the reviews are pretty much similar negs at any Samsung flagship last few years software wise, and we all knew that fingerprint scanner placement was going to be an issue review wise.

But in general terms Samsung has made their best Galaxy phone and anyone who loved the previous edge variants will undoubtedly be happy with this year's offerings.

Anyone who didnt like the edges or touchwiz's quirks isn't going to be converted ....

It will remain the biggest selling Android flagship this year and I'm sure folks here who have ordered will enjoy.

It's not perfect. But it's still overall one of the best Android handsets regardless.

Remember folks - reviews are subjective opinions. They are not to be held up on a pedestal as the definitive word.

Samsung will have a hit on their hands.

------

Now to sit back and watch this thread inevitably succumb to the hating posts from both Samsung detractors picking up any negative and turning it into a mountain, and opposingly the iphone haters to the turn this into a 'why the iPhone sucks' thread .....

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Watched a few videos now. Can't say I'm shocked or surprised by anything. Honestly the negatives in the reviews are pretty much similar negs at any Samsung flagship last few years software wise, and we all knew that fingerprint scanner placement was going to be an issue review wise.

But in general terms Samsung has made their best Galaxy phone and anyone who loved the previous edge variants will undoubtedly be happy with this year's offerings.

Anyone who didnt like the edges or touchwiz's quirks isn't going to be converted ....

It will remain the biggest selling Android flagship this year and I'm sure folks here who have ordered will enjoy.

It's not perfect. But it's still overall one of the best Android handsets regardless.

Remember folks - reviews are subjective opinions. They are not to be held up on a pedestal as the definitive word.

Samsung will have a hit on their hands.

Yep. There's nothing terribly surprising.

I would disagree with you about the Edge thing, though. It's shocking how much more refined and smaller the curves are in person. And the reviews have mentioned little to no false touch issues. From the Verge:

Earlier Samsung phones with curved screens had a tendency to register touches on the sides of the display when you didn’t intend them, making the curved design more frustrating than it should have been. But the company has largely addressed this issue with the S8, as the curves are not as aggressive and the glass blends seamlessly into the metal frame of the phone. I didn’t have an issue with errant touches with either the S8 or the S8 Plus in my time with them.

Reactions: Jetcat3 and MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
another review here from AC. He is reviewing the SD835 model
I like what he says about the software side and how toned down TW is on the S8
For what it's worth, this is the first time I've ever used a Samsung phone without wanting to immediately throw away the launcher for something clearly better.

Galaxy S8+: On most days, I got between 17 and 18 hours of mixed use, with 6 to 6.5 hours of screen-on time. But for a couple of days where I was heavily engaging the phone, I didn't have to top-up at all during the day, and usually went to bed around midnight at 20% battery, after taking it off the charger at 7am.

So glad I got the Orchid Gray!

galaxy-s8-s8-plus-together-1.jpg

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s8?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+androidcentral+(Android+Central)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
another review here from AC. He is reviewing the SD835 model
I like what he says about the software side and how toned down TW is on the S8

So glad I got the Orchid Gray!

galaxy-s8-s8-plus-together-1.jpg

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s8?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+androidcentral+(Android+Central)

Orchid Gray is both unique and beautiful. I'm still undecided. The black was gorgeous, but I thought, in person, it was almost too black; I couldn't see the details of the phone.

Hoping to still see the Arctic in person before I choose...

Reactions: jamezr and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yep. There's nothing terribly surprising.

I would disagree with you about the Edge thing, though. It's shocking how much more refined and smaller the curves are in person. And the reviews have mentioned little to no false touch issues. From the Verge:

Earlier Samsung phones with curved screens had a tendency to register touches on the sides of the display when you didn’t intend them, making the curved design more frustrating than it should have been. But the company has largely addressed this issue with the S8, as the curves are not as aggressive and the glass blends seamlessly into the metal frame of the phone. I didn’t have an issue with errant touches with either the S8 or the S8 Plus in my time with them.
I was more referring to just general practicality issues of the edge screen that some of us faced with likes of screen protectors, more so than false touches per say. :)

If you just didn't like the edge models - I'm not 100% convinced the S8 is going to change that, I still wish there was a 5.5" 18:9 ratio model with flat screen (S8 mini) ... available in white ;)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Have you guys noticed the Verge review doesn't even mention the word "TouchWiz." They just call just software.
[doublepost=1492534376][/doublepost]
I was more referring to just general practicality issues of the edge screen that some of us faced with likes of screen protectors, more so than false touches per say. :)

If you just didn't like the edge models - I'm not 100% convinced the S8 is going to change that, I still wish there was a 5.5" 18:9 ratio model with flat screen (S8 mini) ... available in white ;)

Ah, right. I forget that I'm a rare breed to go completely naked. ;)

Hopefully better screen protectors become available this year.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Have you guys noticed the Verge review doesn't even mention the word "TouchWiz." They just call just software.
[doublepost=1492534376][/doublepost]

Ah, right. I forget that I'm a rare breed to go completely naked. ;)

Hopefully better screen protectors become available this year.

That's because Samsung no longer call it touchwiz. It's officially the Samsung Software Experience now.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Galaxy S8 battery life test: Snapdragon vs Exynos edition, a familiar tale
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...gon-vs-Exynos-edition-a-familiar-tale_id93175

Yet again, the International model with the homegrown Samsung processor FAIRS A LOT BETTER IN THE BATTERY DEPARTMENT, compared to the Snapdragon version. A very large margin of better battery life on the Exynos version.

Plus the International model come bootloader unlocked for easy rotting and ROM's, and the Qualcomm version is LOCKED down.

Man the U.S. gets the gimped phone

Reactions: Fernandez21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.