Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
So it takes Samsung many, many months to bring the latest version of Android to their devices, but when someone creates a way to remap their hardware button, they are able to get out a firmware update in a matter of days. :rolleyes:

Yup, it's all the mobile carriers fault for delayed updates...;)

We all know how updates for pixels worked out. Every update sort of broke new stuffs. Even the latest update broke fps for some. Every vendor (apple, google, samsung, htc etc.,) provides one major update every year. If google takes 1 year to develop the new version for their OS, how do you expect vendors (samsung/htc/LG etc.,) to update their firmware within few weeks after google release their code?
If you think AOSP code is everything, why don't you just download the binaries and slap it on top of a vendor phone and check how it works?

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
That's very disappointing especially for those who prefer Basic modes proper SRGB colour calibration. I just don't understand why those white balance sliders can't be utilised in all off the settings. Doesn't make economical sense especially if a manual slider allowing correction of the tone in all modes, prevents a user having to exchange their device out.
Yeah definitely. I also don't get why they don't care more about getting the white point balanced before release. I mean, if all it takes later on is a software update then they could have bothered to get it right from the start...

At one point I was wondering whether it might be a cultural/habitual thing, maybe it's a stretch but I thought perhaps they just dig that slightly red tint in South Korea. But then my Note 2 had a yellow tint and the Note 3 green...

But yeah, manual slider in all screen modes would solve it all, it would be so simple.

Reactions: MRU

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Came across an article in the NY Times this morning. Article is fairly boilerplate, main theme is "Wait to buy new product because bugs" BUT this one throwaway line caught my interest:

"Samsung declined to provide an early review unit of the Galaxy S8 to The New York Times, "

Whoa. Is that why we haven't seen any reviews yet? When movie studios do that it means they're not happy with the movie they're releasing.

Full article below. Again, nothing much to see there otherwise.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/18/technology/personaltech/why-wait-to-buy-samsung-galaxy-s8.html

Reactions: Jetcat3

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Came across an article in the NY Times this morning. Article is fairly boilerplate, main theme is "Wait to buy new product because bugs" BUT this one throwaway line caught my interest:

"Samsung declined to provide an early review unit of the Galaxy S8 to The New York Times, "

Whoa. Is that why we haven't seen any reviews yet? When movie studios do that it means they're not happy with the movie they're releasing.

Full article below. Again, nothing much to see there otherwise.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/18/technology/personaltech/why-wait-to-buy-samsung-galaxy-s8.html
doesn't mean anything.......there have been a TON of hands on videos on YT. There will be reviews all over the internet once they phone is released.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
doesn't mean anything.......there have been a TON of hands on videos on YT. There will be reviews all over the internet once they phone is released.

I don't doubt that but why aren't there reviews prior to the phone's release? That's the norm with a high profile smartphone. It's still only Tuesday, and the official launch date is Friday so I guess we'll see.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't doubt that but why aren't there reviews prior to the phone's release? That's the norm with a high profile smartphone. It's still only Tuesday, and the official launch date is Friday so I guess we'll see.

I believe the embargo is meant to lift either today or the 19th so we should see the major channels posting reviews shortly.

I'm not expecting anything other than general positivity from them with only main criticism aimed squarely at that fingerprint scanner placement.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I believe the embargo is meant to lift either today or the 19th so we should see the major channels posting reviews shortly.

I'm not expecting anything other than general positivity from them with only main criticism aimed squarely at that fingerprint scanner placement.

I thought I read that the embargo is lifted this afternoon. Looking forward to the technobuffalo review.

Reactions: jdstoddard and MRU

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Regarding the "red" display tint. We all should know that every release of every major phone has a post about the screens display being too much a certain hue. It has happened with every phone I have followed since the original iPhone. I don't ever recall it ending up being a large problem on any phone after all the dust settled.

As the article states, it was not a design problem.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
They do give out 1000s of phones to reviewers but they put a date on when they can publish the reviews. All phone OEMs do this for their major phone releases.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Has anyone here owned the gear fit 2 I was actually thinking about maybe going with that one this time instead of the gear S3. All I really do with my wearables is check notifications, weather, and track my steps. Just not sure if I need to spend $300 on the gear S3 when I can have the gear fit 2 for just over $100.
I picked up the Gear Fit with the note 7 last year, been using it ever since. I even use it now with my old 5s (after returning the note 7). For what it does i think it works very well. There are several watch faces that you can try and being able to see notifications and messages on the watch is more useful than i would have thought.

Reactions: mjschabow

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

This. MKBHD showed some teaser shots of him filming his review the other day on Snapchat. We just have to wait for the embargo to be lifted. I imagine this is a case of NYT not being "techie" enough for a review unit while AC, Droid-life, MKBHD, etc. etc. have them and are currently polishing up their reviews.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Regarding the "red" display tint. We all should know that every release of every major phone has a post about the screens display being too much a certain hue. It has happened with every phone I have followed since the original iPhone. I don't ever recall it ending up being a large problem on any phone after all the dust settled.

As the article states, it was not a design problem.

But still, the perception is still there. If I were Samsung, I would've distanced myself from their own subsidiary for the S8 completely. Whether if it's LG batteries or Sony batteries, consumers could feel safer with that in mind than the original subsidiary. I would think the 8 point inspection isn't enough to control how the device can be perceived.
[doublepost=1492523833][/doublepost]
The battery layout wasn't the problem with the Note 7.

The problem was spacing and compartmentalization. Samsung put too big of a battery into a smaller spot to make its phone thinner. But the very idea of the same ole battery manufacturer can make people tense, hence the "uh-oh?"

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
All you US-ers getting early shipping and amazing pre-order bonuses makes me ILL.

Here I am not knowing when the thing is arriving as I don't even get shipping notification due to ordering through CPW (it is also being delivered there) and I just get a lousy wireless speaker I probably won't even use!! That I have to claim back myself!

Better than nothing I guess, but early shipping would have been a delight.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
All you US-ers getting early shipping and amazing pre-order bonuses makes me ILL.

Here I am not knowing when the thing is arriving as I don't even get shipping notification due to ordering through CPW (it is also being delivered there) and I just get a lousy wireless speaker I probably won't even use!! That I have to claim back myself!

Flip the audio speaker then. That's what I did with the free SD card Samsung sent me with my S7 purchase. I sold the 64gb card to a friend for $15. Took the price I paid from $250 to $235. I ended up paying actually about $50 for my S7 after flipping my Nexus 5X.

Make sure you price it in a way so you can get rid of it asap and still make a decent amount of $. I might flip my old Gear VR since my S7 will be retiring until I find a good deal to flip it, maybe towards Note 8 time.

Reactions: Aneres11

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Only those ordering from Samsung get the freebies direct. All the rest of us have to claim the goods after we receive the phone. I'll sell the VR for peanuts most likely as I have no desire for it. So it's not really that great an incentive. I imagine I won't get too much for it since they will be flooding the market soon.

Reactions: Aneres11

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Only those ordering from Samsung get the freebies direct. All the rest of us have to claim the goods after we receive the phone. I'll sell the VR for peanuts most likely as I have no desire for it. So it's not really that great an incentive. I imagine I won't get too much for it since they will be flooding the market soon.

If I were you, I would flip the VR as a "pre-order" on eBay with an expectation to ship at a later time this month so that way you can cover your behind and have flexibility with shipping. If the buyer doesn't read, shame on them. Get rid of it asap to maximize your profits since more people will flood the market.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
But still, the perception is still there. If I were Samsung, I would've distanced myself from their own subsidiary for the S8 completely. Whether if it's LG batteries or Sony batteries, consumers could feel safer with that in mind than the original subsidiary. I would think the 8 point inspection isn't enough to control how the device can be perceived.
[doublepost=1492523833][/doublepost]

The problem was spacing and compartmentalization. Samsung put too big of a battery into a smaller spot to make its phone thinner. But the very idea of the same ole battery manufacturer can make people tense, hence the "uh-oh?"

No? The problem was the way the battery itself was made.

For the first battery, Samsung says a design flaw in the upper right corner of the battery made the electrodes prone to bend and, in some cases, led to a breakdown in the separation between positive and negative tabs, causing a short circuit.

With the second battery, which came from a separate supplier, Samsung believes there was nothing wrong with the design itself, but says a manufacturing issue led to a welding defect that prompted that battery to also short circuit and ignite.
https://www.recode.net/2017/1/22/14330404/samsung-note-7-problems-battery-investigation-explanation

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I picked up the Gear Fit with the note 7 last year, been using it ever since. I even use it now with my old 5s (after returning the note 7). For what it does i think it works very well. There are several watch faces that you can try and being able to see notifications and messages on the watch is more useful than i would have thought.

Thanks! How is the strap. I saw a Flossy review where he said he hated it!

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Last year Best Buy in-store pick up pre-orders were ready on Monday of that week, hoping they'll allow early pick up again. Monday has passed but any day now would be nice.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Just got email notification from FedEx, S8+ will be here tomorrow. Niceeeeeee
My husband got that notice too. Problem is, we are going to a memorial service with a bunch of his family. I hope we can have it held for pickup. All I have heard about my order so far is that the stupid case is on backorder. It is just the simple Orchid purple clear back case. I already have a TPU case plus another Slickdeals one on the way.

Yesterday a man rang the bell on our door repeatedly, so I thought maybe the phones were being delivered early, but I looked out the upstairs window and couldn't see any truck. I quickly texted my husband to see if we were expecting anything or any people like pest control. It stopped and all was quiet for a few minutes, so I assumed the person was selling something and had moved on.

But when I looked downstairs I could see the person was still at the door, standing and staring at the door. I wish I could say that was so creepy and has never happened before, but the guy who delivered the free gifts from Samsung last week had never rang the bell, just stood on our front porch staring, too. I only knew he was there because I saw him from a window. If not for the Fed Ex truck being there, and my husband being home, I would not have opened the door for him, either.

Anyway, then this guy started beating on the door like he was trying to break it down and jamming on the doorbell so violently. I could see through our distorted glass door that the guy was posturing pretty violently and looked really angry, but could not make out who it was from the angle I was at, so I hid the kid that was home on spring break, made sure our elderly dog was out of sight, grabbed a weapon, and was going to call the police.

Then my husband texted me saying not to kill anyone because he got a text from his sister-in-law and it was his rectal aperture brother at the door. They were two days early for the memorial services. Fortunately they had gotten that settled over the phone and I didn't have to open the door and deal with them. I have been told that my BIL has tried to kick in doors before out of frustration, but never mine. It would be the last door he ever kicks in, that's for damn sure.

I know I know, Cool story bro. That's my life, though.

I will be glad when the phones are finally delivered and will not be in a hurry to order any big ticket items for awhile. Jeez.

Reactions: mel823 and Jetcat3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.