Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
I'm surprised JoD was still being offered; I thought they were trying to phase out the program?

They don't offer JoD at stores or over the phone anymore, but if you DM T-Force, they'll let you sign up.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm surprised JoD was still being offered; I thought they were trying to phase out the program?
I thought so too. The CSR first told me the program had been discontinued. I asked her to check with her supervisor for me. She came back and said they could still do them so I was ahppy :)
I made sure to check my EIP to make sure it said JoD so I am all set :)

Reactions: HiDEF

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Has anyone here owned the gear fit 2 I was actually thinking about maybe going with that one this time instead of the gear S3. All I really do with my wearables is check notifications, weather, and track my steps. Just not sure if I need to spend $300 on the gear S3 when I can have the gear fit 2 for just over $100.

you can get the s2 classic right now for $130. It's the T-Mobile version but you can turn off the cellular portion and just use bluetooth/wifi (like I'm doing on the VZW variant).

EDIT: forgot link

Reactions: mjschabow

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
What kind of price plans do you have there ? Here for example on Vodafone

a) €40 ($45) gets you unlimited texts to any network, 100 minutes calls and 5gb of data per month.
b) €60 ($65) gets you unlimited texts and calls to any network, 100 international minutes calls, 15gb data

well I guess our plans are closer than I thought. I use cricket (uses ATT towers) and pay $55 for unlimited everything: calls, text, data. A similar plan from Verizon: $85 + tax, T-mobile: $70 (tax included), ATT $90.

Reactions: MRU

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I got a text from Verizon less than an hour ago stating that my order was received, and a charge showed up on my cc at the same time. I've been checking all day, sad that the charge wasn't showing up yet, haha.

My Verizon S8 shipped today. It has a request for future delivery on Thursday, though.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
At least you guys have tracking numbers and all that. AT&T is just sitting on my order I guess. Still haven't been charged and status is preparing for shipping.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Dammit. Samsung released an OTA disabling the ability to remap the Bixby button. Not a deal breaker but disappointing for sure.

Sadly. It could be a deal breaker for those folks who will be in countries where Bixby will actually never be supported properly (or at least in the foreseeable future).

I actually don't blame Samsung from removing the third party workaround in the OTA update ....

BUT... what they should have done is at the same time as removing the unofficial remapping, made the button customisable in settings officially.

It's your device and one that you have paid €800+ for. One of the pivotal features of all android devices is customisation and here Samsung are eschewing that for a service that launches broken in USA, is MIA in Europe and will likely be vapourware in 95% of the countries where the S8 will actually be available.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Sadly. It could be a deal breaker for those folks who will be in countries where Bixby will actually never be supported properly (or at least in the foreseeable future).

I actually don't blame Samsung from removing the third party workaround in the OTA update ....

BUT... what they should have done is at the same time as removing the unofficial remapping, made the button customisable in settings officially.

It's your device and one that you have paid €800+ for. One of the pivotal features of all android devices is customisation and here Samsung are eschewing that for a service that launches broken in USA, is MIA in Europe and will likely be vapourware in 95% of the countries where the S8 will actually be available.

Agreed on all points. Being in the US it's not a huge deal (though I did want to remap it to expand the quick settings instead). Agreed that it's a smart business move as well.

Reactions: Oohara and MRU

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
just seems to me that samsung are saying to his fans you need to use bixby and it will be worth the time we spent on it. to create a button just for that shows they think it can be great. will people press it by mistake many times? yeah they will which for some might become very annoying

Reactions: Oohara

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Not to shift the conversation towards Apple, but as a few of you have had to read over and over, I'm leaning towards getting the S8+ and will probably go buy one on Friday or next week, but I've been nervous about leaving iOS.

Well, I had another thought after seeing some of these iPhone 8 renders. Does anyone else think the bezeless iPhone actually looks kind of dumb due to the fact that you still can't move icons wherever you want and it's basically more screen just to have icons plastered all over your home screen? Maybe I'm in lala land with how gorgeous the S8+ looks but I just don't know that less bezels really do anything positive for the iPhone from a cosmetic perspective. Might be time for them to evolve from the same layout they've had from the beginning (though I do think the dedicated widget page is pretty sharp).

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Not to shift the conversation towards Apple, but as a few of you have had to read over and over, I'm leaning towards getting the S8+ and will probably go buy one on Friday or next week, but I've been nervous about leaving iOS.

Well, I had another thought after seeing some of these iPhone 8 renders. Does anyone else think the bezeless iPhone actually looks kind of dumb due to the fact that you still can't move icons wherever you want and it's basically more screen just to have icons plastered all over your home screen? Maybe I'm in lala land with how gorgeous the S8+ looks but I just don't know that less bezels really do anything positive for the iPhone from a cosmetic perspective. Might be time for them to evolve from the same layout they've had from the beginning (though I do think the dedicated widget page is pretty sharp).
for one it will be better in the hand to have a smaller body with a larger screen. if they do get a 5.8 inch phone in an iPhone 7 body then even if you have just app icons that will be a big sell.

i love my 7 plus but do wish it was smaller body in a bigger screen. like the S8

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma

I have everything apple sells; including 7+ and I have a s8+ coming.

I wouldn't put much stock in any of the iPhone 7S/8 "leaks/renders" yet myself. I don't see, personally, apple making more than 2-3 changes. I love apple, but for pioneering this mobile phone market, basically, they're sure falling behind the times. I love that when apple does something they do it right, but if they don't play their cards carefully in their next round it's not going to be good. They're falling behind the times fast.

Not knocking apple, I just don't see next gen being as impressive as Internet is making it to be

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I have everything apple sells; including 7+ and I have a s8+ coming.

I wouldn't put much stock in any of the iPhone 7S/8 "leaks/renders" yet myself. I don't see, personally, apple making more than 2-3 changes. I love apple, but for pioneering this mobile phone market, basically, they're sure falling behind the times. I love that when apple does something they do it right, but if they don't play their cards carefully in their next round it's not going to be good. They're falling behind the times fast.

Not knocking apple, I just don't see next gen being as impressive as Internet is making it to be

Yeah, that is my thought too and the biggest reason why I'm close to 100% postive that I'm switching to the S8. I really feel like the internet is blowing up the new iPhone too much and that if I wait 6 more months, I'm going to be disappointed when that comes out. At least if I get the S8+ now, and then really want either the new Note, iPhone, or even the Pixel 2, I'll be able to sell my S8+ for a pretty good price and then only pay a couple hundred dollars for something in the Fall.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Yeah, that is my thought too and the biggest reason why I'm close to 100% postive that I'm switching to the S8. I really feel like the internet is blowing up the new iPhone too much and that if I wait 6 more months, I'm going to be disappointed when that comes out. At least if I get the S8+ now, and then really want either the new Note, iPhone, or even the Pixel 2, I'll be able to sell my S8+ for a pretty good price and then only pay a couple hundred dollars for something in the Fall.

I'll still probably end up with next iPhone. My goal with S8+ is to hold me over until next iPhone isn't back ordered. 7 release wasn't anything half as revolutionary as hype has 7S/8 being and it was back ordered for months. I figure January or February I can find my desirable iPhone configuration easily in store and that's when I'll probably get one. Not going to let Apple peeve me off with their 6month back ordered launch again ‍♂️

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Just look at the iPad 2017 as an example. Someone asked me for upgrade suggestion from older iPad and the blanket "get the latest and greatest" doesn't apply since the iPad 2017 is at best a side grade and at worst a downgrade with inferior build quality. With all the reports of misaligned parts, dust under screen, going through several to get a passable one, wrong specs on web site, etc. it seems like Apple don't even care anymore. And, 4GB DRAM option which adds about $5 to BOM cost is only available on iPP 12.9" which is more than they want to spend. But with Apple sitting on so much money and people continuing to buy mediocrity you can't fully blame them.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Just look at the iPad 2017 as an example. Someone asked me for upgrade suggestion from older iPad and the blanket "get the latest and greatest" doesn't apply since the iPad 2017 is at best a side grade and at worst a downgrade with inferior build quality. With all the reports of misaligned parts, dust under screen, going through several to get a passable one, wrong specs on web site, etc. it seems like Apple don't even care anymore. And, 4GB DRAM option which adds about $5 to BOM cost is only available on iPP 12.9" which is more than they want to spend. But with Apple sitting on so much money and people continuing to buy mediocrity you can't fully blame them.

As consumers we've continued to tell them time and time again it's ok to give us mediocracy for the money. They could do so much better for what they charge.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

This. I definitely don't want an €800+ device to have a dedicated hardware button that basically says "Screw you, second rate citizen. The awesome **** behind this button works only in countries we deem better than yours. It's so awesome that we're not going to let you remap it for anything useful in your pitiful country. Why don't you just move here for an optimal experience?" At least Apple's version is an internal NFC chip that I can just pretend isn't there in the first place.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.