Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Thanks for the response, guys.

If not mistaken, I have about two payments left to completely own the iPhone. So, I figured I pay it off and sell on Swappa. I would then purchase a cheap prepaid phone and use that as a trade in to get the S8. I believe I have all my jumps available.

Edit: I was wrong, I have a few more payments left. Total payoff is $216.

Seems like you paid a lot more than minimum payments haha. I paid minimum payments on my old 7+ with the IUP when I had it. Depends on the cheap phone though. How will that work out as a "trade towards the S8?" If there is a deal for the S8, I am all ears since I need better battery life and standby battery life with my S7.
[doublepost=1492384625][/doublepost]
I've never understood why this perplexes people. If you pay off the device and sell it you keep the money. If you trade it in, you lose every cent you've ever paid in on it and have nothing to show for it. No brainer to me. JOD (and similar programs) bank on customers wanting the latest and greatest so badly that they don't care that they are willing to throw money away to get the best new phone.

It's a rental service realistically. You pay what you use and move on. If I paid say $10 a month to use the S8 for 6 months, $60 right there as a fee and I would move on. However, instead it's $35 give a take a few cents after taxes for me. I think I am going to go try to buy it outright soon because time is so unpredictable and I cannot guarantee I am with T-Mobile in a few years.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I guess it depends if you have the jumps left. If you jump to a cheaper phone at a store you will have to tunr in your IP7+ right then and there. If you order over the phone you have 2 weeks to turn it in.
Incorrect. You can defer 14 days even if you go in store. That option is always available.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I think even 2020 is all too soon as Samsung seems to have some genuine problems with Tizen's development: https://www.xda-developers.com/secu...erabilities-in-samsungs-open-source-tizen-os/ The most alarming part there is that many of the vulnerabilities were introduced in the last two years by total rookie mistakes, so that indicates that as it stands, Tizen's development practises aren't up to today's standards. We don't know if that's due to incompetence or gross negligence, but whatever the cause, Samsung has lots to improve if they want to have Tizen fit for today's operating environment before 2025.

And who knows how advanced the other OS will be in 2025 in order for a platform like Tizen to be able to compete.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
does anyone see this as an issue? i think it's part of the reason why people are not happy about the apparent leaked schematics of the iPhone 8, it seems Samsung may of made a mistake putting the fingerprint reader on the back right next to the camera. https://televisionmagnets.wordpress...ung/?preview_id=2226&preview_nonce=84be7425a3

Let me guess, you can't disable the warning. Just like the idiotic completely moronic loudness message when turning the volume up.

Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Defer as in waiting 14 days to trade in the device after using the "upgrade" to see if you want to complete the switch?

I was told in the stores that if I order online and am within the "buyers remorse" period I could not return it to a store. I had to mail it back. This happened to me with the G6. I called and preordered it. I tried to rerun it to a store and was denied. I called CS and they told me the same thing. I was within buyer remorse and had to mail it back. Maybe that is just pre orders? I am not sure tbh

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I was told in the stores that if I order online and am within the "buyers remorse" period I could not return it to a store. I had to mail it back. This happened to me with the G6. I called and preordered it. I tried to rerun it to a store and was denied. I called CS and they told me the same thing. I was within buyer remorse and had to mail it back. Maybe that is just pre orders? I am not sure tbh

Did they charge a restocking on the opened G6? It can be a pure rental service for the S8, right? Then go for a cheap phone, return it during buyer's remorse over the phone and no restocking fee. Return it, don't go with a new JoD order. Closed out loan. Go with buying a phone outright, even if it's not from T-Mobile, say a Note 8 or something of the sorts? Does that seem like an accurate plan people have in previous years, minus the newer models?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Did they charge a restocking on the opened G6? It can be a pure rental service for the S8, right? Then go for a cheap phone, return it during buyer's remorse over the phone and no restocking fee. Return it, don't go with a new JoD order. Closed out loan. Go with buying a phone outright, even if it's not from T-Mobile, say a Note 8 or something of the sorts? Does that seem like an accurate plan people have in previous years, minus the newer models?
there was no restocking fee for the G6...but since I could not jump to another phone because TMO said the G6 would have to clear from my account, I canceled the line entirely. Then opened a new JoD line so I could pre order the S8+.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The goodies / bundles you get over there are unbelievable. We get NOTHING and pay more outright for the privilege too

We get crushed with service prices though. IIRC, your data plans are ridiculously low compared to us.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
We get crushed with service prices though. IIRC, your data plans are ridiculously low compared to us.

What kind of price plans do you have there ? Here for example on Vodafone

a) €40 ($45) gets you unlimited texts to any network, 100 minutes calls and 5gb of data per month.
b) €60 ($65) gets you unlimited texts and calls to any network, 100 international minutes calls, 15gb data

Last edited:

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Good post. Have you or anyone used iris before? Wondering if it's quick or tedious.
I used it on my note 7 and it worked well. you did need to position your eyes correctly and that is not always convenient to do. I wear glasses and it working with my glasses on was about 70/30 (30% not work). For the S8+ this is supposed to be improved.

Reactions: MRU and mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Has anyone here owned the gear fit 2 I was actually thinking about maybe going with that one this time instead of the gear S3. All I really do with my wearables is check notifications, weather, and track my steps. Just not sure if I need to spend $300 on the gear S3 when I can have the gear fit 2 for just over $100.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Let me guess, you can't disable the warning. Just like the idiotic completely moronic loudness message when turning the volume up.

I'm a bit wary of this, as well as she FP scanner placement. The volume warning doesn't bother me that much because it's not a frequent occurance for me. However I use the camera a whole lot. If that warning pops up constantly, that's a deal breaker. Likewise I use the FP scanner a lot. If the placement proves to be too much of a pain point, that becomes a deal breaker.

Reactions: spinedoc77

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
there was no restocking fee for the G6...but since I could not jump to another phone because TMO said the G6 would have to clear from my account, I canceled the line entirely. Then opened a new JoD line so I could pre order the S8+.

Is there a line cancelation fee? And why would they do that instead of processing a new upgrade?

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL

I'm surprised JoD was still being offered; I thought they were trying to phase out the program?

Reactions: jamezr

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Has anyone here owned the gear fit 2 I was actually thinking about maybe going with that one this time instead of the gear S3. All I really do with my wearables is check notifications, weather, and track my steps. Just not sure if I need to spend $300 on the gear S3 when I can have the gear fit 2 for just over $100.
Yes, I owned the gear fit 2 and it was great. For what you describe as your needs, it will work, well. I sold mine. Currently, I have the gear s2 (I got it from Tmobile for $69.00 new). I no longer have 4g (I just wasn't using it it) but it works similar to the gear fit 2. Both are very good for tracking steps and getting notifications. I, too, was considering the gear s3, but it's not needed, anymore.

Reactions: mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Yes, I owned the gear fit 2 and it was great. For what you describe as your needs, it will work, well. I sold mine. Currently, I have the gear s2 (I got it from Tmobile for $69.00 new). I no longer have 4g (I just wasn't using it it) but it works similar to the gear fit 2. Both are very good for tracking steps and getting notifications. I, too, was considering the gear s3, but it's not needed, anymore.

Thanks! Yeah I had the gear S3 once and it was great but after buying the S8+ I just don't know if I need to spend another $300. And when analyzing my smart watch usage, I simply don't use it for apps, other than weather.

Reactions: rhinosrcool

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Do not get the Gear Fit 2. It's horrible. I wore it myself for three days before taking it back.

It feels extremely cheap compared to the rest of the Gear watches.
Doesn't sit perfectly on your wrist, it feels like the the sensors will not take accurate readings because of that.
Not intuitive and it's slow. I usually get accustom to smart watch actions within a day. But the Gear Fit 2 had me slightly confused even at day three. Also gestures and actions seemed much slower vs other smart watches I've had.

Personally, I would go on Amazon and purchase a Gear S2 for just under $200.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Gear...e=UTF8&qid=1492440317&sr=8-3&keywords=gear+s2

or the Gear S2 Classic, which is what I still use.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Gear...id=1492440466&sr=1-2&keywords=gear+s2+classic

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Do not get the Gear Fit 2. It's horrible. I wore it myself for three days before taking it back.

Doesn't sit perfectly on your wrist, it feels like the the sensors will not take accurate readings because of that.
Not intuitive and it's slow. I usually get accustom to smart watch actions within a day. But the Gear Fit 2 had me slightly confused even at day three. Also gestures and actions seemed much slower vs other smart watches I've had.

Personally, I would go on Amazon and purchase a Gear S2 for just under $200.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Gear...e=UTF8&qid=1492440317&sr=8-3&keywords=gear+s2

or the Gear S2 Classic, which is what I still use.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Gear...id=1492440466&sr=1-2&keywords=gear+s2+classic

Ooh. Not a ringing endorsement, lol. Yeah, in considering the Gear S3, I am hoping some good deals pop up on Swappa too. on eBay people are still charging waaay too much.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I'm a bit wary of this, as well as she FP scanner placement. The volume warning doesn't bother me that much because it's not a frequent occurance for me. However I use the camera a whole lot. If that warning pops up constantly, that's a deal breaker. Likewise I use the FP scanner a lot. If the placement proves to be too much of a pain point, that becomes a deal breaker.
Surprisingly, when I had the case on the S8, it was much easier to hit the FPS accurately every time. The case acts like a guide for your finger.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN

/QUOTE]

Don't agree. I had the Gear fit 2 for 6 months. Yes, it's not super durable but with care it lasts. I did not think it was cheap, at all. It was excellent in tracking my steps; never had a problem. Also, it was very good at notifications. The only reason I switched to the gear s2 was because T-mobile had a sale ($69.00 for a brand new gear s2) and I wanted the 4g.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.