Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I got a text from Verizon less than an hour ago stating that my order was received, and a charge showed up on my cc at the same time. I've been checking all day, sad that the charge wasn't showing up yet, haha.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I walked into Best Buy today and walked out having preordered an S8+ in black. This is a beautiful phone and just such a nice overall package. I know there are a lot of iPhone fans around here, but the 7 and 7 Plus feel and look archaic next to the new Galaxy S8s. Even with such a cutting edge design it's still got a headphone jack! How did they do it?

I've been quite happy with my S7 edge so I can only see this being even better. It's a big phone, but honestly about the same size as an iPhone 7 Plus, but with a bigger screen.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I walked into Best Buy today and walked out having preordered an S8+ in black. This is a beautiful phone and just such a nice overall package. I know there are a lot of iPhone fans around here, but the 7 and 7 Plus feel and look archaic next to the new Galaxy S8s. Even with such a cutting edge design it's still got a headphone jack! How did they do it?

I've been quite happy with my S7 edge so I can only see this being even better. It's a big phone, but honestly about the same size as an iPhone 7 Plus, but with a bigger screen.

Exactly what I've been saying. 7 feels antique beside S8+. I can't believe they're *almost* identical in size. I'm hoping I like mine. Haven't had Android since Note 3/S4. Looks like it's came a LONG ways. I'm gonna miss iMessage. Wish this Advanced messaging/RCS would come together amongst carriers sooner than later.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
To be fair Apple is relatively new to making phablets having only started in 2014 while the competition have been doing it longer since 2011 if not earlier. And, the reason for the archaic design has to do with defending its design patent around the dated oversized bezels. The last three iPhone generations look the same not because of talent but rather legal issues. Don't be surprised if the next iPhone doesn't look much different either.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Finally got to play with the S8 Plus at Best Buy. Incredibly tempting. It definitely makes the iPhone 7 series seem like a yesteryear throw back in comparison.

I'm actually evaluating the idea of changing over. I'll make a decision soon so I can get the VR goodies.

Reactions: jamezr and blaine07

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
You're forgetting the importance of reach and supply chain management, Google are truly poor at this. We can talk all day about how great the Pixel is with updates, but how many people does it actually reach Vs. a Galaxy especially outside the USA?

I deal with Google South Africa and Google Ireland employees almost daily, they themselves still use iPhone and Galaxy phones mostly.

In may countries carrier partnerships are also still a thing, especially with the way most developing economies like South Africa are going, so we buy what our networks bring, I doubt I'll be seeing a Pixel anytime soon on Vodacom (Vodafone South Africa).

With regards to Samsung patience, are you are aware of how long it took them to develop the Exynos SoC and ISOCELL Sensor? They were making these decisions back in the days of Symbian, I have watched this company since the late 90s take it's time to develop and eventually conquer an industry bit by bit. Their planning has incredible long term vision, it's actually rare to see such a large company be able to turn at a whim the moment things change and take very little of a hit.

Anyway I digress, Tizen is a work in progress, much like how they kept Android development in the back burner while running with Symbian and WM in the 2000s. If I'm not mistaken their Smartwatches use Tizen as it is a lot more efficient than Android, they also sell Tizen phones in decent numbers in some Developing Countries, they seem to be using them as test beds. Of course there are bound to be Security holes in a new OS this is why I say Samsung are in this for the long haul, they will develop and patch Tizen up over the next couple of years while enjoying Android as their main OS.

I don't think it's fair to compare them to Microsoft at all, Microsoft has always had problems in Mobile, Steve Ballmer's team just never understood Mobile only now are they waking up with Satya. In the old WM days it was one of the only Smartphone OSs around and was pushed on Mostly Americans thanks to Carriers while the rest of the world enjoyed the far more efficient and Mobile friendly Symbian UIQ, S60 and S80.

Samsung were not the greatest at Software, but in recent years they have greatly improved one just has to use some of their latest apps. One of the 1st things I did when I got my S7 Edge was to download Samsung's own Video Player and Music Player as they rub far more efficiently than Google's which I disabled. Also the Samsung Web Browser with AdBlocking, it handles web pages just as good as Chrome but eats far less resources in terms of RAM and Battery.

Sometimes I think you guys really over hype Google's software skills. I deal with far too many Google products on a daily basis due to my work and I have found that they truly have a long way to go in many areas.

I'm not really comparing Microsoft and Samsung directly, it's an opinion that it's harder to penetrate mobile markets right now with basically Apple and Google controlling the majority.

The Pixel just came out, as they improve the hardware, it will most likely become more popular due to the 1st party support it will receive, the longer support/updates is important, it's a reason why Apple has been successful, and it's a criticism of most Samsung devices, especially in the US.

Samsung knows that Google will become a bigger competitor hence they try to develop their own os, with their own apps, etc. But it takes time, and it's not as easy as it seems, or else it'd be primetime by now. It's not a fault, it's just that developing a mobile os, having quality app development, desktop os integration, it all isn't easy. And it's ever-changing at a faster pace, hence why apple and google continually work on it, companies who have a track record of software development.

I'm not saying Samsung won't get there with Tizen, I'm just saying it's not easy.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
YouTube battery endurance tests are trickling out. These are preferred since the whole test is recorded to eliminate any doubt vs the ones just showing a bar graph result.

Here Galaxy S8+ has 39% battery left at 4:35 when iPhone 7 Plus shuts down.

Schmidt84

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
YouTube battery endurance tests are trickling out. These are preferred since the whole test is recorded to eliminate any doubt vs the ones just showing a bar graph result.

Wow that is insane. Wondering if the 7plus is running 10.3.1 and have the battery Bug ?

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA

It's a fine video but, it's a big BUT, we don't know how many cycles the iPhone has gone thru nor if the S8+ is running at max res or a lower option.

Reactions: apolloa

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I'm not really comparing Microsoft and Samsung directly, it's an opinion that it's harder to penetrate mobile markets right now with basically Apple and Google controlling the majority.

The Pixel just came out, as they improve the hardware, it will most likely become more popular due to the 1st party support it will receive, the longer support/updates is important, it's a reason why Apple has been successful, and it's a criticism of most Samsung devices, especially in the US.

Samsung knows that Google will become a bigger competitor hence they try to develop their own os, with their own apps, etc. But it takes time, and it's not as easy as it seems, or else it'd be primetime by now. It's not a fault, it's just that developing a mobile os, having quality app development, desktop os integration, it all isn't easy. And it's ever-changing at a faster pace, hence why apple and google continually work on it, companies who have a track record of software development.

I'm not saying Samsung won't get there with Tizen, I'm just saying it's not easy.
Indeed, it's not at all easy, this is why I say they are in for the long haul, I don't expect Tizen to be ready for Prime Time before 2020, they need to take as much time as possible to develop Tizen.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's a fine video but, it's a big BUT, we don't know how many cycles the iPhone has gone thru nor if the S8+ is running at max res or a lower option.
You are also trusting the same guy who thinks how quickly a phone turns on indicates is a valid anlysis of performance. The same guy who posted a 'review' before the actual embargo for the genuine review channels for hits, where it was so rushed a review he didn't even have other apps installed and declared swiping to a blank page was an indicator of GUI fluidity ... A tech video blogger who couldn't even take the time to wipe the screen before posting his videos ....

The guy does everything he can for early youtube hits, and why shouldn't he ? - it's paying for his hobby clearly. But it does mean you should take his so called results and in depth testing with a grain of salt or two and a massive wedge of lemon.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
does anyone see this as an issue? i think it's part of the reason why people are not happy about the apparent leaked schematics of the iPhone 8, it seems Samsung may of made a mistake putting the fingerprint reader on the back right next to the camera. https://televisionmagnets.wordpress...ung/?preview_id=2226&preview_nonce=84be7425a3
We all know they made a booboo putting it there. It's essentially been universally criticised by the press / media.

It was clearly a last minute desicion and they opted at that stage for 'aesthetic' symmetry on the back rather than actual genuine practicality & ergonomics. It is what it is and will undoubtedly be rectified for the Note 8.

Reactions: jamezr and Dave245

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
4 days and counting.....:):):)

Still waiting for the first real detailed reviews from the well known tech sites (not the hobby reviewers who just are just spec bumping and their main goal is clicks, quality of reviews is less important for them).

Reactions: MRU

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

This is not surprising to me. When I had the S7 Edge, I used to get at least 2 hours more game play time vs what I get on the 7 Plus now. It's always been the Stand-By life that iPhone is still the king of, but there has been several Android flagship phones from multiple manufacturers that have a noticeable longer onscreen life.

Reactions: jamezr

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
We all know they made a booboo putting it there. It's essentially been universally criticised by the press / media.

It was clearly a last minute desicion and they opted at that stage for 'aesthetic' symmetry on the back rather than actual genuine practicality & ergonomics. It is what it is and will undoubtedly be rectified for the Note 8.

I think they should of thought about it a little bit better, but yea I'm guessing they will rectified for the Note 8, they can't afford any mistakes with the next Note, I'm guessing all eyes will be on the Note 8 after last years issue.
I don't want it to sound too harsh, i do think the S8 looks a really nice phone and i do like the Note series of phones, in fact it's something i wish Apple would do, the only thing that has ever put me off buying a Note phone alongside my iPhone is the fact that it runs TouchWiz, but the features certainly have looked great in the past.

Reactions: MRU

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

I know its a battery test but just look at that display. The iPhone is looking so dull and muted when he plays that video.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Indeed, it's not at all easy, this is why I say they are in for the long haul, I don't expect Tizen to be ready for Prime Time before 2020, they need to take as much time as possible to develop Tizen.

I think even 2020 is all too soon as Samsung seems to have some genuine problems with Tizen's development: https://www.xda-developers.com/secu...erabilities-in-samsungs-open-source-tizen-os/ The most alarming part there is that many of the vulnerabilities were introduced in the last two years by total rookie mistakes, so that indicates that as it stands, Tizen's development practises aren't up to today's standards. We don't know if that's due to incompetence or gross negligence, but whatever the cause, Samsung has lots to improve if they want to have Tizen fit for today's operating environment before 2025.

Reactions: Truefan31

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The Note 8 with FPS under the display will be even better.
It's also possible if they get that fingerprint scanner working, they will re-instate the dual camera they were working on (prototype leak) so the Note 8 would get very decent upgrades with S-Pen, Finger Print scanner and Dual Cameras even if CPU & ram stay the same.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Yeah the only thing that's always held me back from the Note series is the S-Pen. I've just never had a need for it. Might still try it though. For those who have decent disposable income, should be able to sell that S8 for a decent price in September and only pay about $250-$300 to get the Note.

That is if I do end up buying the S8+.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It's also possible if they get that fingerprint scanner working, they will re-instate the dual camera they were working on (prototype leak) so the Note 8 would get very decent upgrades with S-Pen, Finger Print scanner and Dual Cameras even if CPU & ram stay the same.
Totally agree. The N8 is going to have great features to position itself next to the iPhone 8 release. Better dual camera and FPS under the display and enhanced S Pen features.

Reactions: Oohara and MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.