Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
So it looks like T-Mobile will be getting their phones early. I see my AT&T order is preparing to ship. I wonder if we will get lucky too?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
that should be reassuring. Got to play with one at BB, nice phone, other than the fp sensor it seemed like a nice evolution.
[doublepost=1491955917][/doublepost]

Idk if I'd call Samsung patient, I'd reserve that for a company like Apple really, which to some find it a fault. They see the benefits of an ecosystem ala Apple & Google, so it makes sense for them to try their own OS. I think honestly though they're finding it harder than what people think. Took time for both Apple & Google to establish their OSes, both companies having dedicated top tier talent working year round. And while Samsung is a huge company (borderline government institution in Korea) they don't have a high track record of software development. Tizen is a start for them, but right now it is supposedly a security nightmare:

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/247043-samsungs-tizen-os-may-overrun-bugs

Not to say it won't get better but it's hard to penetrate the mobile OS market, just ask Microsoft.

I think they probably saw the writing on the wall too seeing Google get into the mobile flagshhip hardware market. In the mobile market the Pixel is highly regarded and will continue to challenge not just the iphone, but more importantly the other flagship android phones like the Galaxy phones. As much as other oems try, they won't be able to match 1st party support like Google will offer with the Pixel phones.
You're forgetting the importance of reach and supply chain management, Google are truly poor at this. We can talk all day about how great the Pixel is with updates, but how many people does it actually reach Vs. a Galaxy especially outside the USA?

I deal with Google South Africa and Google Ireland employees almost daily, they themselves still use iPhone and Galaxy phones mostly.

In may countries carrier partnerships are also still a thing, especially with the way most developing economies like South Africa are going, so we buy what our networks bring, I doubt I'll be seeing a Pixel anytime soon on Vodacom (Vodafone South Africa).

With regards to Samsung patience, are you are aware of how long it took them to develop the Exynos SoC and ISOCELL Sensor? They were making these decisions back in the days of Symbian, I have watched this company since the late 90s take it's time to develop and eventually conquer an industry bit by bit. Their planning has incredible long term vision, it's actually rare to see such a large company be able to turn at a whim the moment things change and take very little of a hit.

Anyway I digress, Tizen is a work in progress, much like how they kept Android development in the back burner while running with Symbian and WM in the 2000s. If I'm not mistaken their Smartwatches use Tizen as it is a lot more efficient than Android, they also sell Tizen phones in decent numbers in some Developing Countries, they seem to be using them as test beds. Of course there are bound to be Security holes in a new OS this is why I say Samsung are in this for the long haul, they will develop and patch Tizen up over the next couple of years while enjoying Android as their main OS.

I don't think it's fair to compare them to Microsoft at all, Microsoft has always had problems in Mobile, Steve Ballmer's team just never understood Mobile only now are they waking up with Satya. In the old WM days it was one of the only Smartphone OSs around and was pushed on Mostly Americans thanks to Carriers while the rest of the world enjoyed the far more efficient and Mobile friendly Symbian UIQ, S60 and S80.

Samsung were not the greatest at Software, but in recent years they have greatly improved one just has to use some of their latest apps. One of the 1st things I did when I got my S7 Edge was to download Samsung's own Video Player and Music Player as they rub far more efficiently than Google's which I disabled. Also the Samsung Web Browser with AdBlocking, it handles web pages just as good as Chrome but eats far less resources in terms of RAM and Battery.

Sometimes I think you guys really over hype Google's software skills. I deal with far too many Google products on a daily basis due to my work and I have found that they truly have a long way to go in many areas.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
well, my pre-order gift from Samsung arrived today. It's an acoustic audio amplifier that passes audio from the S8's speaker... Now I just need the damn phone ;)

https://imgur.com/a/R5VdY
I got that gift yesterday, too. My husband got his Wednesday night. Or was it Thursday. Whatever, we both got them. I tried mine out with my HTC10. It worked okay. Not bad for a freebie I was not even expecting.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Ok, so was in the supermarket today and I had a play with the S8 normal size. I didn't like it's size in my hands! I found it a stretch to reach the keyboard with their being no bezels. Had a play with the the 7 Plus and it was much more comfortable!

Meh maybe I'll get a 7 Plus when it's price drops. Hmm was looking forward to these bezelles phone designs.

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
With it being Easter weekend here in the U.K. I can't see ours shipping until Tuesday at the very earliest

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Ok, so was in the supermarket today and I had a play with the S8 normal size. I didn't like it's size in my hands! I found it a stretch to reach the keyboard with their being no bezels. Had a play with the the 7 Plus and it was much more comfortable!

Meh maybe I'll get a 7 Plus when it's price drops. Hmm was looking forward to these bezelles phone designs.

Stay clear of the Intel modem 7+ if you get one. Though, you're better off waiting until the new iPhone gets announced so there will be an even bigger price drop.
[doublepost=1492267889][/doublepost]Should I flip my S7 for a profit right now ($350 or so)? Or should I hold onto it to see if T-Mobile has a trade in promo so I can flip my S7 into an S8 for free?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Stay clear of the Intel modem 7+ if you get one. Though, you're better off waiting until the new iPhone gets announced so there will be an even bigger price drop.
[doublepost=1492267889][/doublepost]Should I flip my S7 for a profit right now ($350 or so)? Or should I hold onto it to see if T-Mobile has a trade in promo so I can flip my S7 into an S8 for free?

Oh yeah I wouldn't get one till the new ones were out so I could save money on it. As for the Intel modem, I had one in the normal iPhone 7 I had and it's fine, it's ridiculous it's slower, but I doubt I'll notice and you have no way of knowing what you'll get when you buy the iPhone anyway.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Oh yeah I wouldn't get one till the new ones were out so I could save money on it. As for the Intel modem, I had one in the normal iPhone 7 I had and it's fine, it's ridiculous it's slower, but I doubt I'll notice and you have no way of knowing what you'll get when you buy the iPhone anyway.

If you have a T-Mobile or AT&T model, it includes Intel. If you go for the Verizon/factory unlocked models, then you can get Qualcomm. Intel made my signal issues really worse with the 7+ and T-Mobile. With my S7, I noticed less issues with call quality. SE will get a test drive later this week.

Reactions: 5105973

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
If you have a T-Mobile or AT&T model, it includes Intel. If you go for the Verizon/factory unlocked models, then you can get Qualcomm. Intel made my signal issues really worse with the 7+ and T-Mobile. With my S7, I noticed less issues with call quality. SE will get a test drive later this week.

I'm in the UK so don't have any choice, plus I'd buy it outright anyway.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Ive ordered from CPW and it should be in on Thursday. I have a shift their on Wednesday so will see if it comes in then. Knowing our assistant manager, if it is in he will be totally by the book and not let me have it until Thursday. Yup, he's that guy haha.

Gonna hopefully pick up my accessories on weds too. Case and screen protector if we have any in. I've put my case to one side already, but not sure if screen protectors are in yet as been on hol from there this week.

Excited as this Lumia 950 I'm using is the biggest heap of junk I've ever had to use.

Reactions: jamezr and 5105973

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
It's fine, because I'm a llloooonnnggggggg way off ever being able to use either chips silly fast connection speeds haha.

You're lucky you don't have my carrier and the combination of bad signal and Intel working together.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I'm a sucker for new tech. Pre-Ordered with the 256gb card and AKG BT Headphones. I'll sell off those headphones, I poo poo wireless audio.

Just got the standard S8, the 8+ is too much phone for me.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm a sucker for new tech. Pre-Ordered with the 256gb card and AKG BT Headphones. I'll sell off those headphones, I poo poo wireless audio.

Just got the standard S8, the 8+ is too much phone for me.
Why are you selling them off ? They are not wireless ....

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Idk how much both are worth in their respective locality, but possibly to make $ off people. But then again, many people will get the same idea and will flood the market. For instance, there was a $199 iPhone SE brand new w/ AT&T. People could've unlocked them for a few extra bucks too. I saw people flood the market with those on Swappa and then people that put them at the lowest price possible ($280) sold theirs while the people who waited to make the $330 range were stuck waiting for a buyer.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The ones in the $99 Bonus package are wireless. I'm going to use them with my iPhone 7Plus because my Beats Studio Wireless make most of my music sound like I'm sticking my head between the sofa cushions to listen to the room stereo. Not always, with all songs, but I've got enough on my playlists that sound mushy. I guess I'm spoiled by my HTC 10 sound.

Wired listening through the iPhone 7 plus dongle is actually not too bad.

Reactions: MRU

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
There's a preorder bundle for $99 more, you get a 256gb micro sd card (which I need) and AKG BT over the ear headphones. I'll still get the AKG wired earphones in the box. I've heard reviews of the earphones as well, not too great. I currently have dual and triple driver earphones from Xiaomi that I love!

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
There's a preorder bundle for $99 more, you get a 256gb micro sd card (which I need) and AKG BT over the ear headphones. I'll still get the AKG wired earphones in the box. I've heard reviews of the earphones as well, not too great. I currently have dual and triple driver earphones from Xiaomi that I love!
The goodies / bundles you get over there are unbelievable. We get NOTHING and pay more outright for the privilege too

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
The goodies / bundles you get over there are unbelievable. We get NOTHING and pay more outright for the privilege too

And Samsung have the cheek to keep emailing me every 2 days with amazing offers like:

- 0% Finance!!

- Mobile Care Light!!

and that's literally it. Tbh that's part of the reason I've not pre-ordered. Nothing to sweeten the deal like EVERYONE else is getting!

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
How much would you want for them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.