Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Went to the store again to try out the S8 and S8 plus. Again I feel the 5.8 screen on the S8 is too narrow compared to my 7 Plus.
I actually have more room on my 7 Plus to type. The S8+ is better but its even taller than the 7 Plus.
These form factors will take getting used to thats for sure.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
all the videos i have seen have shown it's the same as the note 7. hopefully apple use the iris scanner to be activated when you use the rise to wake feature.
That screen shot is from the manual for the S8/S8+, it is on page 39.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...SM-G955U_GS8Plus_EN_UM_N_7.0_040617_FINAL.pdf
[doublepost=1492111452][/doublepost]Has any on here received the little Amplifler speaker Dock free gift, mine arrived today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/64ubjk/preorders_galaxy_s8_and_100_vr_package_and/

Reactions: co.ag.2005

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
i have been very tempted to get the S8 plus gone back and forth a lot about it but i will stick with my 7 plus and wait till apple announce the new OLED iPhone and review my options come september time. chances are will get the new iPhone as i'm very invested in apple now.

That said my dad has pre ordered the S8 plus so i will be using his and helping him get sorted and setup with that so i will still use the s8 plus on a daily or weekly basics to still get a good view on that. I'm sure i will be tempted again to get it but i've got to hold firm and say no lol but i'am very impressed by it so far so will get a good hands on with it on the 20th of april when it's due to arrive.
[doublepost=1492105531][/doublepost]
well here in the UK you can pre order with carriers and still get it 8 days early on the 20th of april so there is either loads of stock or demand isn't as strong..it's tough to know.

I mean it's been what 1-2 weeks since the event and i could ring up any carrier or CPW/samsung site now and still get it 8 days early.

Yeah I am definitely in the same boat as you at the moment. My gut is telling me to go with the iPhone 7 Plus, but gosh the S8 just looks like a beautiful piece of art.
[doublepost=1492112543][/doublepost]Another quick question I have:

Does Samsung have a version of iOS Portrait Camera mode that the 7+ has? I thought that feature was amazing when I had the 7+. If Samsung has a version just as good, that would equal a checkmark in the Samsung column for me.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
That screen shot is from the manual for the S8/S8+, it is on page 39.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...SM-G955U_GS8Plus_EN_UM_N_7.0_040617_FINAL.pdf
[doublepost=1492111452][/doublepost]Has any on here received the little Amplifler speaker Dock free gift, mine arrived today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/64ubjk/preorders_galaxy_s8_and_100_vr_package_and/

regarding the dock, I've been following all the reddit posts about them. I have a tracking number from Samsung with a package set to arrive tomorrow. I assume it's this speaker dock thing (or part of or all the immersive bundle?)
[doublepost=1492114650][/doublepost]
Yeah I am definitely in the same boat as you at the moment. My gut is telling me to go with the iPhone 7 Plus, but gosh the S8 just looks like a beautiful piece of art.
[doublepost=1492112543][/doublepost]Another quick question I have:

Does Samsung have a version of iOS Portrait Camera mode that the 7+ has? I thought that feature was amazing when I had the 7+. If Samsung has a version just as good, that would equal a checkmark in the Samsung column for me.

they may have something that incorporates software tricks, but the nice thing about the 7+ is that is uses both camera lenses to create those shots... which I assume does a better job than just allowing software to do all the work.

Reactions: mjschabow

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Went to Best Buy to check it out. My word! The thing feels and looks fantastic. I'm so tempted to get in on a pre-order deal.

andy317

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
Hi all,

I was toying with the idea of the OnePlus 3T but rumour has it that the new OnePlus will be out soon.

Obviously it's all speculation about the OnePlus at the moment so won't go into specs.

In relation to brand/customer service, which would be better? Samsung or OnePlus?

Luckily I can get hold of a S8+ for £623 ($779) rather than £779 ($974).

I've only ever had iPhones so it's new territory for me.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The VR headset gives me zero incentive to preorder.

Good point about battery life, I also await feedback.

I am more worried about the risk with going with a Jump On Demand plan because it ends as of this month. There is an ability to break the agreement with an upgrade to another device, but there is a $50 restocking fee attached. However, the way T-Mobile leadership made changes to it, I feel like they might make a mandatory upgrade to keep people locked into an 18 month agreement with the only way to get out is to terminate the lease with the ETF.

Best case scenario is I am paying $36 a month after tax and rounded up for about 5-6 months, get a free VR headset, and then I go for the Note 8 or the iPhone OLED model (this one is highly unlikely since my SE was dirt cheap compared to regular pricing).

Worst case, I get stuck with a 18 month lease and then have to pay extra to buy the phone for owning it with the extended 24 month option with a 6 month payment plan for the remaining balance.

Meanwhile, I can sit tight, get feedback, decide if I need the S8+. I can wait for a deal from my carrier and give my S7 as a trade in, get the S8 or S8+ for "free" on a 2 year contract via bill credits and a trade in value from the phone while I just pay taxes up front and maybe a first month fee that will be cancelled out via bill credits.

Or I can just wait for the phone to drop to $500-$550, sell my S7 for about $300 or so, pay the remaining balance out of pocket and call it a day. Maybe get a free SD card (64gb or better) to flip along with it for $15 or more. Then I can possibly see a free VR or wireless charger.

Either way, a trade in plan or a cheaper price + selling my S7 is more beneficial to me. Getting my SE recently created so much more flexibility since I am paying very little out of pocket for my SE. I paid $55 out of pocket from the time I bought my S7, sold my Nexus 5X, and then flipped my extra SD card as it is.

With my SE, it's a smaller screen and it's ironic I ended up with one because I used to loathe small 4" screens. However, with the price, having it unlocked, and the specs it offers, the phone is a mighty fine device for what I need to wait until a good deal on the S8.

Reactions: AppleRobert

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I am more worried about the risk with going with a Jump On Demand plan because it ends as of this month. There is an ability to break the agreement with an upgrade to another device, but there is a $50 restocking fee attached. However, the way T-Mobile leadership made changes to it, I feel like they might make a mandatory upgrade to keep people locked into an 18 month agreement with the only way to get out is to terminate the lease with the ETF.
Negative. As a T-Mobile sales rep, I can tell you 100% that this is not the case and will never happen. In fact, you can go in to a store at any time and pay off your JOD lease (or the entirety of the phone) at any time.
Your options are: turn phone in at any time and renew lease with new phone. Or: wait until 18 month window is complete and turn in phone. Your lease is complete. Or: do not turn in phone at 18 month window, pay the taxes on the remaining 6 months and pay off the remaining balance of the phone over the next 6 months.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Negative. As a T-Mobile sales rep, I can tell you 100% that this is not the case and will never happen. In fact, you can go in to a store at any time and pay off your JOD lease (or the entirety of the phone) at any time.
Your options are: turn phone in at any time and renew lease with new phone. Or: wait until 18 month window is complete and turn in phone. Your lease is complete. Or: do not turn in phone at 18 month window, pay the taxes on the remaining 6 months and pay off the remaining balance of the phone over the next 6 months.

Is it considered scummy to go into a store, pay a restocking fee within the first 14 days of an upgrade, turn in the phone and just walk away Scott free? Why wouldn't they do away with that if people exploit that to break their leases as a "rental service?"

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Jealous. Mine is "preparing to ship" from AT&T.
same here, lol
order.JPG

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Well it could be a few things:

1) it could be that Samsung has produced so many because of the whole note 7 debacle and they want to make sure that everyone who wants one can get one.

2) the note 7 debacle could have caused a lot of people to get iPhone 7's instead or an entirely different device.

3) people are waiting for customers to have real life experience before getting one.

My guess is option number 3.

My money is on a combination of option 1 and 3, with option 4 being a lot of android users are probably thinking about all the attention the ip8 is getting.

I just think it's a different environment and am not really sure anyone can sell a flagship at those prices except for Apple. There are many other great choices for much less, and a large part of consumers seem to want cheaper phones.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Is it considered scummy to go into a store, pay a restocking fee within the first 14 days of an upgrade, turn in the phone and just walk away Scott free? Why wouldn't they do away with that if people exploit that to break their leases as a "rental service?"
We get people doing remorse returns all the time. On regular plans, prepaid plans and yes, even JOD plans. Doesn't make any difference to us.
[doublepost=1492134446][/doublepost]
Got UPS shipping notice that a label had been created.
That doesn't mean it will go out tonight....but one can hope :)
My guess is, the shipping labels (millions of them) are being created today thru Sunday for shipments beginning on Mon and Tuesday. First people to receive them will be on Wed and Thur next week.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
So by the end of next week I am going to bbe rocking an S8 Plus and a Chromebook Plus. It's going to be glorious.

And I might even be able to run third party browsers on the Chromebook thanks to the Android integration.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Got UPS shipping notice that a label had been created.
That doesn't mean it will go out tonight....but one can hope :)
Tmobile says they'really shipping on the 19th. At least, that's what my text says:
Get ready! The Samsung Galaxy S8 releases April 21st. We’re packing your T-Mobile order #xxxxxxxxxx so you might see applicable charges on your card. We will start shipping on April 19 prior to its release.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
So by the end of next week I am going to bbe rocking an S8 Plus and a Chromebook Plus. It's going to be glorious.

And I might even be able to run third party browsers on the Chromebook thanks to the Android integration.

Nice!!! Please do a review thread on it. I'm thinking about getting one too.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I went to target tonight to get some odds and ends and decided to stop at the tech section. A samsung rep apparently just came in that day to set up the samsung galaxy s8 display. This is my 3rd time coming into a store and checking out the phone and I am getting more and more impressed with it.

The only thing holding me back is leaving part of the apple ecosystem. I am typing this on my MacBook and love the macOS, however I have been getting bored of my iPhone 6+. My plan was to wait for the iPhone 8, but I may get the s8+, and if I don't like it when the iPhone 8 comes out I can always sell the s8 to get it. Well see.

Reactions: HiDEF
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.