Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Apple is Struggling to Integrate Touch ID Under the iPhone 8's Display

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...-the-iPhone-8's-Display.2041519/&share_type=t

In the article it says "Apple delays production of the 5.8-inch iPhone, but still announces the device in early September alongside updated 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models."

I thought the ip8 was to have a 5.2 screen not counting the function bar. I hope they don't try to market this as a 5.8" phone. Alternatively maybe it will be 5.8" plus the function bar, that would be awesome. 5.2 just seems way too small for 2017.

Reactions: Demo Kit

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
In the article it says "Apple delays production of the 5.8-inch iPhone, but still announces the device in early September alongside updated 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models."

I thought the ip8 was to have a 5.2 screen not counting the function bar. I hope they don't try to market this as a 5.8" phone. Alternatively maybe it will be 5.8" plus the function bar, that would be awesome. 5.2 just seems way too small for 2017.

I'm assuming the function bar disappears depending on what's on the screen. So 5.8 when watching a movie, for instance.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I hope there will be a nice breakdown of the Snapdragon 835 battery life in the S8. I am going to patiently wait for the right deal and cancel my pre-order. The VR headset isn't worth all the glitz and glamor. Plus, they probably will have deals giving them away.

Reactions: AppleRobert

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
I've been playing with the S8/S8+ in stores and I just can't get over the form factor. The design is truly exceptional and it makes my 7 Plus and S7 Edge look Outdated but the design is actually highly impractical and it's mainly due to the curved edges.

When I used the S7 Edge as my daily device, I always had issues typing accurately on it due to the edges, for some reason I always made typos and errors when I typed on it. I feel like the edges removed valuable screen real estate making it more difficult to type on.

I have experienced the same thing while playing with the S8, the combination of an even narrower screen and curved edges made typing accurately a lot more difficult. Now, it might just be me as I have larger hands but I don't have any issues typing on the 7 Plus and frankly I think my issue stem from the curved edges.

I also hate the curved edges as there is literally no good glass screen protectors available for purchase. This is probably not important for a lot of people but for me it's quite important as I like to keep my phones in 100% brand new condition in case I resell it or hand it off to a family member.

I think the curved edges are more of a hassle than a benefit at least for me. If Samsung had made the S8/S8+ the exact same design except with flat screen, I would have been a lot more interested. At this point I just keep remembering all the usability issues and it just pushes me away.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I've been playing with the S8/S8+ in stores and I just can't get over the form factor. The design is truly exceptional and it makes my 7 Plus and S7 Edge look Outdated but the design is actually highly impractical and it's mainly due to the curved edges.

When I used the S7 Edge as my daily device, I always had issues typing accurately on it due to the edges, for some reason I always made typos and errors when I typed on it. I feel like the edges removed valuable screen real estate making it more difficult to type on.

I have experienced the same thing while playing with the S8, the combination of an even narrower screen and curved edges made typing accurately a lot more difficult. Now, it might just be me as I have larger hands but I don't have any issues typing on the 7 Plus and frankly I think my issue stem from the curved edges.

I also hate the curved edges as there is literally no good glass screen protectors available for purchase. This is probably not important for a lot of people but for me it's quite important as I like to keep my phones in 100% brand new condition in case I resell it or hand it off to a family member.

I think the curved edges are more of a hassle than a benefit at least for me. If Samsung had made the S8/S8+ the exact same design except with flat screen, I would have been a lot more interested. At this point I just keep remembering all the usability issues and it just pushes me away.
I'm a little worried about the curved edges as well, and since I went with the regular S8, it's going to be very narrow indeed. I usually Swype type, so hopefully it will work out.
But you raise a very valid concern regarding curved edge screens.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I'm on the exact same boat as you sadly. That curve as aesthetically pretty just isn't 'practical' in my usage scenario and my enjoyment of using edge devices in the past was utterly marred by being so self conscious when using it or taking it out of the confines of the house. As much as the excitement level in this thread kind of makes me want to press that order button, I am reminded of my user experience and how awkward on practical levels it is affected detrimentally by that choice of design.

From hand gymnastics shuffling up and down the device as you shimmy your hand up to unlock via fingerprint then have to shimmy back down to hold. From the claw like finger grip I had to utilise in landscape mode to hold the device and not tap on the screen accidentally and end up pausing video etc.Then as I say just day to day practicalities of decent screen protectors that don't lift or feel spongey.

Likewise I got to thinking last night, that since I have been rocking the pixels for a while now (and have changed between various colours / storage SKU's and therefore have re-setup the device a few times) I now have a device where it just works from the moment I go through initial set up. I don't have to think about 'disabling' redundant packaged in apps, spending time fiddling to get optimum battery scenarios, re-map buttons like the bixby one etc. I'm just not sure I want to go through those headaches anymore when I get an android. I want to just use the device, rather than be self aware when I do.

So yeah I'm back out again ...... well until I get offered a genuine bargain that I couldn't resist anyway ;)

Last edited:

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I'm a little worried about the curved edges as well, and since I went with the regular S8, it's going to be very narrow indeed. I usually Swype type, so hopefully it will work out.
But you raise a very valid concern regarding curved edge screens.

I actually like curved edges. Especially on my note I never had any issues with false touches.

My main concern is actually the narrow aspect ratio. I'm not looking forward to leaving 16/9. I just don't see the benefit of it.

Reactions: Oohara and MRU

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm on the exact same boat as you sadly. That curve as aesthetically pretty just isn't 'practical' in my usage scenario and my enjoyment of using edge devices in the past was utterly marred by being so self conscious when using it or taking it out of the confines of the house. As much as the excitement level in this thread kind of makes me want to press that order button, I am reminded of my user experience and how awkward on practical levels it is affected detrimentally by that choice of design.

From hand gymnastics shuffling up and down the device as you shimmy your hand up to unlock via fingerprint then have to shimmy back down to hold. From the claw like finger grip I had to utilise in landscape mode to hold the device and not tap on the screen accidentally and end up pausing video etc.Then as I say just day to day practicalities of decent screen protectors that don't lift or feel spongey.

Likewise I got to thinking last night, that since I have been rocking the pixels for a while now (and have changed between various colours / storage SKU's and therefore have re-setup the device a few times) I now have a device where it just works from the moment I go through initial set up. I don't have to think about 'disabling' redundant packaged in apps, spending time fiddling to get optimum battery scenarios, re-map buttons like the bixby one etc. I'm just not sure I want to go through those headaches anymore when I get an android. I want to just use the device, rather than be self aware when I do.

So yeah I'm back out again ...... well until I get offered a genuine bargain that I couldn't resist anyway ;)
I've been tempted many times and keep backing out each day to get the S8. I'm just going to wait it out till the next iPhone and see what is on offer price wise but chances are will be getting the edition when it's finally out even if it's delayed.

What do you think your next phone will be? Pixel 2 maybe?

Reactions: Oohara and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've been tempted many times and keep backing out each day to get the S8. I'm just going to wait it out till the next iPhone and see what is on offer price wise but chances are will be getting the edition when it's finally out even if it's delayed.

What do you think your next phone will be? Pixel 2 maybe?
I will likely get the Pixel 2 and iPhone 8 ... But 6-8 months is a long time to resist temptation.

Honestly if a bargain priced S8 or G6 was offered to me, i would go for them, but with the caveat of knowing they will be sold on a few months later.

But as it currently stands i have devices which are a) the right size for me, b) last the whole day without worry c) have great cameras d) very fast and fluid with nary a hiccup e) are able to keep all the apps i switch between daily in memory ....

So the 'compulsion' for better isn't really driving me like it has in the past, it's more curiosity that I'm fighting with.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I will likely get the Pixel 2 and iPhone 8 ... But 6-8 months is a long time to resist temptation.

By the time the iPhone 8 will be backordered shortly after the pre-order date, you get your iPhone 8 around december/january. And then about 4 months later Samsung will release their Samsung S9. You better hold off and wait for that one! :p:p:p

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

On the S7E prior to Nougat update I would agree to a point that the stock KB seemed to wrap just a little too much ( There was more not less screen used) making it a little harder to get 100% key recognition but post update it seems this issue is fixed by making those outer keys less curved IMO

The edge bar only makes sense on the curved screen which is great for de-cluttering your home screen

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Yep I keep backing out as well. The device looks awesome but a simple action last night made me question if I want to leave iOS. My fiancé sent a song to me from Apple Music via iMessage and I could actually play the song from the app.

If I stick with iOS I do definitely need a new phone as I'm on the iPhone 6s 32gb and I'm out of space and need better battery.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Yes and what's special about that ?

It just reminded me how good iMessage/Rich Notifications are. And we use them quite a bit with GIPHY too. It's just going to be tough to give that up even though the S8 looks so much better in many ways.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I'm all in for th S8+ and cannot wait till I receive it. I do this every year to myself and switch to android when a new device comes out over the hype and then after a month or 2 I'm back on iOS. One good thing is my 7 Plus isn't going anywhere since I have 2 lines but I'm just curious to see how optimized Samsungs interface is over android. If it offers the same annoyances as always then I will be up in the air on which to use as my daily driver. Only time will tell.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It just reminded me how good iMessage/Rich Notifications are. And we use them quite a bit with GIPHY too. It's just going to be tough to give that up even though the S8 looks so much better in many ways.
iMessage with a friend or significant other is a lot of fun between the stickers you can send each other and GIPHY and music and stuff that I've made fun of in the past on this forum. And of course it's great for more professional communication with groups of people.

I got the iPhone 7 Plus and the display is beautiful. The camera is finally how I want it. I think the thing my Samsung is better at is recording video with better sound. The actual visuals, iPhone 7Plus does better, but my Samsung gives me amazing multidirectional sound. And it works better as a phone. My iPhone conversations can be pretty choppy sometimes.

Still, it's a good refinement over the iPhone 6S Plus I had and leaps and bounds better than my iPhone 6Plus.

I don't think I would trade my 7Plus for an S8 at this point if I could have only one. If I had to go to only one phone then I think the choice might come down between the iPhone 7Plus and Note8 or S9...when they get the fingerprint sensor located in a better place and refine anything that might be annoying in the S8.

Reactions: MRU and mjschabow

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah I'm not a fan of those curved edges either. It's like you still have a bezel, just transparent. The visual effect is neat but at least for me that part of the screen doesn't count as actually usable.

This is what makes the S8+ screen actually feel smaller to me than the iPhone 7 Plus screen, despite the huge theoretical difference between the diagonal 5.5 and 6.2 measures. The two screens are 6.85 (7+) vs 6.89 (8+) mm wide. But the curved edges on the 8+ take up a good chunk of those millimetres making its usable screen area actually smaller than that of the 7 Plus, in my book.

I'm not actually counting the extra screen space to the top and bottom of the 8+ as that isn't very useful to me either. I need a 7+ size screen minimum, in terms of both width and height, and given that the usable area on the 8+ screen is more narrow than that it's a no go for me.

I much prefer the approach taken by Huawei with the Mate 9, where the screen is 5.9" at 16:9 and no curved edges in a footprint no larger than that of the 7+.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
iMessage with a friend or significant other is a lot of fun between the stickers you can send each other and GIPHY and music and stuff that I've made fun of in the past on this forum. And of course it's great for more professional communication with groups of people.

I got the iPhone 7 Plus and the display is beautiful. The camera is finally how I want it. I think the thing my Samsung is better at is recording video with better sound. The actual visuals, iPhone 7Plus does better, but my Samsung gives me amazing multidirectional sound. And it works better as a phone. My iPhone conversations can be pretty choppy sometimes.

Still, it's a good refinement over the iPhone 6S Plus I had and leaps and bounds better than my iPhone 6Plus.

I don't think I would trade my 7Plus for an S8 at this point if I could have only one. If I had to go to only one phone then I think the choice might come down between the iPhone 7Plus and Note8 or S9...when they get the fingerprint sensor located in a better place and refine anything that might be annoying in the S8.

Yeah, I think you're right. As much as it pains me to do because it looks so unbelievable, I think I might have to pass on the S8 and end up getting the iPhone 7 Plus. Portrait mode is pretty sharp too.

You do bring up a good point about recording video. I am going to see U2's Joshua Tree Anniversary Tour in 6 weeks and it would be great to have the best video recording options. Then again, I probably should just keep my phone in my pocket and actually watch the show. ;)

Aaaaghhh decisions decisions.

Reactions: MRU

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah I'm not a fan of those curved edges either. It's like you still have a bezel, just transparent. The visual effect is neat but at least for me that part of the screen doesn't count as actually usable.

This is what makes the S8+ screen actually feel smaller to me than the iPhone 7 Plus screen, despite the huge theoretical difference between the diagonal 5.5 and 6.2 measures. The two screens are 6.85 (7+) vs 6.89 (8+) mm wide. But the curved edges on the 8+ take up a good chunk of those millimetres making its usable screen area actually smaller than that of the 7 Plus, in my book.

I'm not actually counting the extra screen space to the top and bottom of the 8+ as that isn't very useful to me either. I need a 7+ size screen minimum, in terms of both width and height, and given that the usable area on the 8+ screen is more narrow than that it's a no go for me.

I much prefer the approach taken by Huawei with the Mate 9, where the screen is 5.9" at 16:9 and no curved edges in a footprint no larger than that of the 7+.
I'm hoping the Note 8 can replace my iPad mini. I'm hoping it's a beast because last year, when I was sketching on my Note 7 with the S-pen, I kept wishing for a bigger display, but not quite iPad mini sized. I was thinking more like the size of my husband's old Nexus tablet...sorry I don't recall what model it was. It was more large phablet sized than mini tablet sized is all I know.

You and I might be in the minority on that, though.

Reactions: MRU

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I hope there will be a nice breakdown of the Snapdragon 835 battery life in the S8. I am going to patiently wait for the right deal and cancel my pre-order. The VR headset isn't worth all the glitz and glamor. Plus, they probably will have deals giving them away.

The VR headset gives me zero incentive to preorder.

Good point about battery life, I also await feedback.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah, I think you're right. As much as it pains me to do because it looks so unbelievable, I think I might have to pass on the S8 and end up getting the iPhone 7 Plus. Portrait mode is pretty sharp too.

You do bring up a good point about recording video. I am going to see U2's Joshua Tree Anniversary Tour in 6 weeks and it would be great to have the best video recording options. Then again, I probably should just keep my phone in my pocket and actually watch the show. ;)

Aaaaghhh decisions decisions.
If you do go with an iPhone 7 Plus, this lightning mic will help you get better audio to go with your video:

Shure-MV88

IMG_0318.JPG

It's small enough to not draw too much attention to yourself and does come with a case and a Tribble (wind cover) for outdoor recording. It was recommended to me by a moderator on this site and it did a very nice job recording my daughter's school musical. There are settings that enable you to cut out the recording of noise that might come from the sides from seatmates and so forth.

Regarding S8 vs Iphone video recording comparisons:

So far I've noticed that when panning, my iPhone 7 Plus video is smooth as silk no matter what setting I've got it at...1080p, 4K, it always pans flawlessly so far.

I can't say for sure with the S8 since I don't have it and only got to test at the store. But with both of my S7's and my HtC 10, panning can result in little micro-shudders. I'm not sure what the actual term is for it, but there's a kind of distortion as the camera is panning. This is one reason why I opted for my iPhone 7 Plus to record the musical even though my Samsungs and my HTC 10 have the ability to record in very immersive stereo audio with their built in mics.

Where I had some trouble with my iPhone was in getting the proper exposure of events on stage from where I was sitting. Unfortunately, during my daughter's biggest solo and some of her scenes, because she was the lead and onstage by herself, the camera refused to expose properly and totally washed her out. When other characters joined her in the scene, the camera was able to expose for all of the scene better.

I did an earlier concert recording of the kids at a different stage when using my SamsungS7 Edge and HtC 10. The Edge had no trouble with exposures or audio. The HTC 10 struggled with exposure under the same lighting conditions as the Samsung was operating under.

So do try and do a test recording with the S8 at the store and see if there are any issues with panning. Unfortunately there is no easy way to test for exposure problems in advance because the lighting at concerts and plays pose unique challenges that store and home and outdoor lighting do not.

Reactions: mjschabow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.