Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
So, is anyone looking at this thread a current iPhone user who is going to switch to the s8 or s8+?

I might be one of them!

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
So, is anyone looking at this thread a current iPhone user who is going to switch to the s8 or s8+?

I might be one of them!

I am. I am about 65/35 towards making the switch, although I'm a bit concerned because I used to have the S7 Edge and I ended up switching back to iPhone.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I am. I am about 65/35 towards making the switch, although I'm a bit concerned because I used to have the S7 Edge and I ended up switching back to iPhone.

Why did you switch and why do you think it'll be different this time?

I've warned people time and again: DO NOT switch because you're bored with your phone. Switch because your usage has changed or there's a killer feature you will use regularly.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Hate to say it but I'm not sure how the S8 will offer a hugely different experience than the S7 Edge. Unless bezels are what killed your experience I foresee you switching back to iPhone.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013

I've warned people time and again: DO NOT switch because you're bored with your phone. Switch because your usage has changed or there's a killer feature you will use regularly.

Yeah, very good questions. I owned the Galaxy S7 Edge for about 3 months, didn't get bored with it but just kind of missed the Apple Ecosystem. Fast forward to now, still love the Apple Ecosystem but that's about the only thing keeping me. I miss how awesome the S8 screen is compared to my iPhone 6s. I miss being able to change themes and now that Apple Music is very stable on Android, I can safely switch and not miss a beat with my music collection.

I will freely admit though that my one concern is that I'll have buyer's remorse. Apple is very stable and I honestly have no issues with the phone other than the fact that I'm just itching to have more customization options. That is why I'm 65/35 and not 100%. I do think I'm going to make my final decision based on the real reviews by TechnoBuffalo (Jon Rettinger in particular), Marques Brownlee, and Flossy (though he always leans Samsung).

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hate to say it but I'm not sure how the S8 will offer a hugely different experience than the S7 Edge. Unless bezels are what killed your experience I foresee you switching back to iPhone.
Sometimes it is nice to have a new device. You could use your analogy to never buy a new phone. Because really what does one offer that another will not do? They can all make calls and send texts.
The phones of the last 3-4 years would be sufficient for what people need in a phone tbh.....

I agree with what most are saying....if the only reason to switch from iphone to an android phone is boredom........the switch will not go smoothly.
There has to be a feature or functionality that drive the switch.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

This is great advice. I've contemplated trying to get another Pixel XL as I've found myself to be quite aggravated with Apple's product decisions and direction as of late. But when I stop to think about it, I realize this is the equivalent of cutting off my nose to spite my face. There haven't been any significant changes to Android or the Pixel since I last used it so ultimately, I'd still have to deal with the same compromises I found 6 months ago.

I still prefer iOS and all the benefits afforded to living in the Apple ecosystem and my current hardware works great. So I just have to remind myself to sit tight, keep an eye on things as they develop, and when the time comes to replace any of my gear, decide if newer offering from Apple or any other company best fit my usage.

Last edited:

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ

Just curious as to why you switched back?
[doublepost=1492008763][/doublepost]
I'm adding a S8+ to my Apple family if that counts lol ‍♂️

Yeah that counts haha. Do you also have an iPhone or will the s8+ be your main mobile device?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Just curious as to why you switched back?
[doublepost=1492008763][/doublepost]

Yeah that counts haha. Do you also have an iPhone or will the s8+ be your main mobile device?

Mostly due to missing the Apple ecosystem. They do hook you. One big plus now though is that I have an iPad Pro. So if I get the Apple itch I can always use it. And Apple Music is stable on Android now.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Yeah, very good questions. I owned the Galaxy S7 Edge for about 3 months, didn't get bored with it but just kind of missed the Apple Ecosystem. Fast forward to now, still love the Apple Ecosystem but that's about the only thing keeping me. I miss how awesome the S8 screen is compared to my iPhone 6s. I miss being able to change themes and now that Apple Music is very stable on Android, I can safely switch and not miss a beat with my music collection.

I will freely admit though that my one concern is that I'll have buyer's remorse. Apple is very stable and I honestly have no issues with the phone other than the fact that I'm just itching to have more customization options. That is why I'm 65/35 and not 100%. I do think I'm going to make my final decision based on the real reviews by TechnoBuffalo (Jon Rettinger in particular), Marques Brownlee, and Flossy (though he always leans Samsung).

Totally get it. I rotate between Android and iOS, and if you simply want a new toy for a bit but good with going through the hassle of moving back, go with god...or Android. However, if you're gonna sell devices and buy a new one yada yada I'd think reeeeeeally hard about it. You're not going to miss the Apple ecosystem any less now than you did before.

I'm the opposite - I'm actually far more invested in the Google ecosystem (with the exception of movies and music, but that's an easy fix...well, the music is anyway). However I always (until now) preferred the way iOS does things, and the way it flows. Apple has gummed up those works something fierce the last two iterations of their OS. I've been so thoroughly enjoying using the Pixel XL I miss less and less from my iPhone, which sits lonely in a drawer.

BUT

I'm a guy who will probably always have two phones. If you're a monogamous phone person, think hard about what you really want from your device. If it's a giant hassle for you to swap back and forth, might be worth it to just let it ride until new iPhones release in the fall.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

I agree with this too. The optimal scenario is of course where one can afford both at the same time ;) Then it's OK if one of them is just for fun and experimentation. But if it's one or the other, ditching the more stable and reliable one (perhaps it is that simply because one is used to it and have it worked into one's personal 'ecosystem') for the more fun and new one will eventually cause grief and regret.

Of course there's the other optimal scenario - if the provider allows, go for a test period and see how it is, then return if not satisfactory!

For me I'm constantly in hell because most things work for me on iOS, I enjoy how my iPhone works with my AW and MBP etc. But I loathe the typing/text editing experience. While knowing that Swype on Android is a dream. This is why I still want a big screen Android phablet (7" Note with S Pen would be optimal) for true productivity stuff, to use alongside my iPhone.
[doublepost=1492009265][/doublepost]
cutting off my nose to spite my face
I had a good ROFL at that one, thanks! Never heard it before but I've learned now that it's an established expression, that's awesome :D

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I agree with this too. The optimal scenario is of course where one can afford both at the same time ;) Then it's OK if one of them is just for fun and experimentation. But if it's one or the other, ditching the more stable and reliable one (perhaps it is that simply because one is used to it and have it worked into one's personal 'ecosystem') for the more fun and new one will eventually cause grief and regret.

Of course there's the other optimal scenario - if the provider allows, go for a test period and see how it is, then return if not satisfactory!

For me I'm constantly in hell because most things work for me on iOS, I enjoy how my iPhone works with my AW and MBP etc. But I loathe the typing/text editing experience. While knowing that Swype on Android is a dream. This is why I still want a big screen Android phablet (7" Note with S Pen would be optimal) for true productivity stuff, to use alongside my iPhone.

I agreed with this sentiment back when we had a month to use a device. Personally, I find 14 days not satisfactory to really "live" with a phone. You need to use it beyond the honeymoon period, which is usually the first week or two. Use it every day, in every scenario you'd use your previous device. That's the only way to really tell if it's going to work for you.

Reactions: Oohara

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Totally get it. I rotate between Android and iOS, and if you simply want a new toy for a bit but good with going through the hassle of moving back, go with god...or Android. However, if you're gonna sell devices and buy a new one yada yada I'd think reeeeeeally hard about it. You're not going to miss the Apple ecosystem any less now than you did before.

I'm the opposite - I'm actually far more invested in the Google ecosystem (with the exception of movies and music, but that's an easy fix...well, the music is anyway). However I always (until now) preferred the way iOS does things, and the way it flows. Apple has gummed up those works something fierce the last two iterations of their OS. I've been so thoroughly enjoying using the Pixel XL I miss less and less from my iPhone, which sits lonely in a drawer.

BUT

I'm a guy who will probably always have two phones. If you're a monogamous phone person, think hard about what you really want from your device. If it's a giant hassle for you to swap back and forth, might be worth it to just let it ride until new iPhones release in the fall.

Great points made. I've been a habitual switcher for a few years now, so really, the trouble of switching back and forth isn't too bad. In fact, I've basically built it in my budget to expect that I'll probably own 4 different phones per year, lol!

Yeah, I hear you about iOS. I used to actually be an Android only guy until around 2014 when I first tried the 5s. I'd say I've probably been leaning more and more towards iOS over the last 2 years, mostly due to its simplicity and there seems to be minor annoyances that I have with Android. But like you, my annoyance with iOS is also increasing. I feel like Android is getting more and more stable while still being on the cutting edge of technology. As exciting as the new iPhone 8 could be this year, from the sounds of it, it's still nothing new or groundbreaking when you add new phones to the mix. I think from a consumer personality standpoint, I'm just kind of in the mood to gravitate more towards cutting edge tecnology, even if it means minor hiccups along the way.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I agreed with this sentiment back when we had a month to use a device. Personally, I find 14 days not satisfactory to really "live" with a phone. You need to use it beyond the honeymoon period, which is usually the first week or two. Use it every day, in every scenario you'd use your previous device. That's the only way to really tell if it's going to work for you.
That's true actually. I was kind of speaking of a theoretical case as here in Sweden it's unusual to find a deal where you can test and send back at all. But yeah, a month would be the minimum. Actually it took me about a year to really get in swing with my first Android phone (Note 2). But I did partially regret the purchase for about 3 weeks, then on the fourth week I began loving it for real.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I stopped switching long ago. I just use iOS and any particular Android together and just swap around Android device as I see fit. I could go back to one device, but then I'd be left in that quagmire and find just having latest iPhone with whichever Android works better for me.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
What about switching due to pure addiction like most of us in here Lol

Sometimes it is nice to have a new device. You could use your analogy to never buy a new phone. Because really what does one offer that another will not do? They can all make calls and send texts.
The phones of the last 3-4 years would be sufficient for what people need in a phone tbh.....

I agree with what most are saying....if the only reason to switch from iphone to an android phone is boredom........the switch will not go smoothly.
There has to be a feature or functionality that drive the switch.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK

I might be one of them!

Yep, sold my iPhone and sent it on Monday (it's since been lost in the post, but whatever...)

I switched to Android before, I only switched back as at home our first child was on the way and thought it would be an easier way to share photos etc with family members with iMessage and iPhoto Sharing.

Now everyone uses WhatsApp for messaging. Haven't got a solution for the photo sharing yet, other than we haven't shared any photos for about 6 months now.

Didn't really want to go back to iOS, so am looking forwards to moving back to Android. I'm on a 2014 Moto X atm and can honestly say its a good experience.

Oh...and I'm going to the S8+, like the big screen. I've handled an S8, and it felt small compared to the 7+ I've just sold.

Reactions: Jetcat3

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Are most people here buying their S8/S8+ outright?

Idk if I would want to get a phone outright. I have a SE coming in anyways, so I can sell my S7 for $300-$350 and use the SE until I get the right deal for the S8. If not, I can keep my pre-order.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Finally took a look at the S8 plus in the EE store and wow so beautiful. Makes me 7 plus feel abit embarrassed by the bezels
4f105dcfb1e203d258e5350ccf19fa92.jpg

2f87dd0fef2cc9de0b06f847ecda1478.jpg

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011

I might be one of them!

I am. I've only ever had iPhones. Mostly the screen and customization options that are tempting me. The screen is beautiful, makes everything else look like a brick IMO. Not real crazy about Bixby and the dedicated button and the placement of the fingerprint sensor. I have a 6 Plus now so I'm going on 2 1/2 - 3 years. I pay cash for my phones so I want to be sure I'll be happy with what I buy for 2-3 years. I'm also intrigued by the OnePlus 5. Ideally I'd wait until fall to see what the new iPhone and Note will offer.

One thing that kind of bugged me. I went to Best Buy (to buy something else) and when I picked up the S8 it started talking and giving a marketing spiel. I immediately put it down and walked away. :p

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.