Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I have long lost track of this thread, but more hope that Samsung will have 7.1 ready before or at launch: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Android-7.1-might-be-under-testing-for-Samsung-devices_id92985

Android 7.1 might be under testing for Samsung devices

As the article says, careful to get your hopes up. And as I said myself, I'll believe it when I see it.

I really do hope that the single SKU for all S8 versions in the US means Samsung can push both security and Android software updates out faster and more reliably than before. Especially after making that new promise for unlocked devices in the US to keep up with security patches.

Reasonably timed updates is one of the last few things for Samsung to solve.

I'm a reasonable guy. And I understand that the Android landscape is different. I'm even willing to wait max three months for software updates. This allows the latest versions to work out any kinks and for Samsung to prepare TouchWiz. Just have to come through with the promise.

Last edited:

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Had my first feel up of the S8 and S8+ in a store today. To my surprise it left me rather unimpressed. First impression: plasticky. I know it's glass, but I still didn't get a feeling of great build quality.

Then the screen. The screen to bezel ratio is obviously impressive, but I didn't feel that these screens were giving me any more truly usable real estate over my 7 Plus. The S8 in theory has a similar screen area to the 7 Plus, but it looked clearly smaller. The 5.8" diagonal measure in such a small footprint had me drooling until I held the actual phone. Now I see the difference between the aspect ratios.

Even the S8+ screen didn't feel substantially bigger than that of my 7 Plus. The extra area at the top and bottom just didn't wow me. And it felt like I had to reach down to the home button in an uncomfortable way. The home button by the way didn't have a nice haptic vibration, it felt mushy compared to that of the 7 Plus.

Then the colour accuracy... Basic mode is what I always use, to get those more realistic colours. But the white point on that one is too red and as I understand can't be adjusted. Adaptive mode features the manual RGB adjustment but there the colours are too saturated for me overall, not sure if it can be brought to the same levels as the Basic mode but I wasn't able to achieve that in the store.

And the curvature of the screen took me by surprise. Somehow I thought the curve would be a lot sharper than it is. I still got that annoying feeling of the edges of the screen actually being kind of a transparent bezel...

So yeah. I'm pretty disappointed. Of course things change a lot as you really begin to use a phone. But the things I mention above are too significant for me to be able to get used to them, I think.

Still hoping for the Note 8 to blow me away. But for the moment, I suddenly like my 7 Plus a whole lot more. Surprisingly the feel in the hand is a big part of that, the 7 Plus just feels so much more well built and reliable. And neither the S8 nor S8+ made me feel that I'm missing out on screen size with my 7 Plus.

My optimal phone I think would be a blown up S7, because that one felt truly great to hold. And it had just the right curvature to the screen glass, i.e. essentially just 2D glass like on the iPhone.

So, I guess let's see what August/September brings...

Thanks for the feedback. This is another thing that has me holding back on ordering, as well as what to do with the Apple Watch I have. I could sell it and put the money towards a Gear S3 (from what I've read it'll do everything I want). If I ordered early and got the Gear VR I could sell that too to fund the Gear S3 watch. Something I could chat to the boss about.
I'd really like a hands on with the S8+ to see how I personally feel about it before committing to one though. Unfortunately, from what I and others in Australia have been told, no display models will be up until the 28th, although I have been told by someone in the know that they should be on display from the 21st. That'll give me 6 days to check one out, make up my mind, and order to get the freebies before that promo runs out.

Reactions: Oohara

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Had my first feel up of the S8 and S8+ in a store today. To my surprise it left me rather unimpressed. First impression: plasticky. I know it's glass, but I still didn't get a feeling of great build quality.

Then the screen. The screen to bezel ratio is obviously impressive, but I didn't feel that these screens were giving me any more truly usable real estate over my 7 Plus. The S8 in theory has a similar screen area to the 7 Plus, but it looked clearly smaller. The 5.8" diagonal measure in such a small footprint had me drooling until I held the actual phone. Now I see the difference between the aspect ratios.

Even the S8+ screen didn't feel substantially bigger than that of my 7 Plus. The extra area at the top and bottom just didn't wow me. And it felt like I had to reach down to the home button in an uncomfortable way. The home button by the way didn't have a nice haptic vibration, it felt mushy compared to that of the 7 Plus.

Then the colour accuracy... Basic mode is what I always use, to get those more realistic colours. But the white point on that one is too red and as I understand can't be adjusted. Adaptive mode features the manual RGB adjustment but there the colours are too saturated for me overall, not sure if it can be brought to the same levels as the Basic mode but I wasn't able to achieve that in the store.

And the curvature of the screen took me by surprise. Somehow I thought the curve would be a lot sharper than it is. I still got that annoying feeling of the edges of the screen actually being kind of a transparent bezel...

So yeah. I'm pretty disappointed. Of course things change a lot as you really begin to use a phone. But the things I mention above are too significant for me to be able to get used to them, I think.

Still hoping for the Note 8 to blow me away. But for the moment, I suddenly like my 7 Plus a whole lot more. Surprisingly the feel in the hand is a big part of that, the 7 Plus just feels so much more well built and reliable. And neither the S8 nor S8+ made me feel that I'm missing out on screen size with my 7 Plus.

My optimal phone I think would be a blown up S7, because that one felt truly great to hold. And it had just the right curvature to the screen glass, i.e. essentially just 2D glass like on the iPhone.

My guess is, nothing will truly compete with your iPhone. Subconsciously, you have predetermined this.

I'm quite the other way around after having played with the S8. I look at the iPhone now and it just looks... Old. Almost antique-like. And while I do like the feel of iPhones in the hand, they have always seemed souless and dead since the iPhone 4. Hard to describe. I don't get that feeling with the S8. Almost as if you could sense the passion and pride that went into developing the phone. It's abstract to say these sort of things, but I believe it is what builds our subconscious biases.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
My guess is, nothing will truly compete with your iPhone. Subconsciously, you have predetermined this.

Sorry, I think you got the wrong guy buddy. I had the Note 7 on preorder until it met with its untimely demise, and that's just one example from years of not cutting the iPhone any undue slack just because it's an iPhone.

It just so happens that the S8 didn't feel very solid in my hands. While my iPhone does. And so do the S7, Nexus 6P, Mate 9, Nexus 5, pretty much all the Lumias... Do I need to go on?

It's all subjective of course. But not subconsciously predetermined, at least not in this case. ;)

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Samsung is NOT playing and games with battery problems this time around!!!

Start at 6:05 if you want to get to the point.

Incase you missed this post ..... https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...might-be-aborted.2008435/page-7#post-24483492

that should be reassuring. Got to play with one at BB, nice phone, other than the fp sensor it seemed like a nice evolution.
[doublepost=1491955917][/doublepost]
I am in full belief that the MAIN reason why Samsung is doing all these extra apps in Touchwiz that replicate Google services is to get them out there and then transfer them to Tizen.

Have you been in the Galaxy Apps Store lately? It's slowly filling up with apps that were in Play Store.

What I really like about Samsung is how patient and strategic they are, they are in this for the long haul. There will be a day where Tizen is ready to go global, for now Samsung are enjoying the spoils of Android while building their own ecosystem very quietly in front of us, lol.

DeX, Bixby etc.... There will come a day when these all run Tizen. At some point their TVs, Washing machines, Fridges, microwaves etc... Will have Tizen. It's just a matter of time.
Samsung are a company that is constantly ensuring they find a "fallback", remember how quick they were to adopt Android JUST as Symbian and Windows Mobile fell apart? Samsung had successful Symbian and WM phones in 2009, but as the hammer came down on both OSs they quickly launched Galaxy S in 2010 ready with their own fully fledged UI that they had developed on both Symbian and WM.

One day Tizen will get it's day to shine, but Id say don't hold your breathe, I don't see Tizen taking over before 2020, until then Samsung will rideout the Android Wave, and they will continue experimenting adding duplicate features etc... To what Google do, if the day comes before 2020 where Android becomes highly compromised, don't be shocked when they bring a flagship with Tizen that is complete with an Exynos SoC, ISOCELL Camera, Touchwiz interface witg Bixby, DeX, Galaxy App Store etc... built-in in pretty much ready for prime time.

Idk if I'd call Samsung patient, I'd reserve that for a company like Apple really, which to some find it a fault. They see the benefits of an ecosystem ala Apple & Google, so it makes sense for them to try their own OS. I think honestly though they're finding it harder than what people think. Took time for both Apple & Google to establish their OSes, both companies having dedicated top tier talent working year round. And while Samsung is a huge company (borderline government institution in Korea) they don't have a high track record of software development. Tizen is a start for them, but right now it is supposedly a security nightmare:

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/247043-samsungs-tizen-os-may-overrun-bugs

Not to say it won't get better but it's hard to penetrate the mobile OS market, just ask Microsoft.

I think they probably saw the writing on the wall too seeing Google get into the mobile flagshhip hardware market. In the mobile market the Pixel is highly regarded and will continue to challenge not just the iphone, but more importantly the other flagship android phones like the Galaxy phones. As much as other oems try, they won't be able to match 1st party support like Google will offer with the Pixel phones.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Sorry, I think you got the wrong guy buddy. I had the Note 7 on preorder until it met with its untimely demise, and that's just one example from years of not cutting the iPhone any undue slack just because it's an iPhone.

It just so happens that the S8 didn't feel very solid in my hands. While my iPhone does. And so do the S7, Nexus 6P, Mate 9, Nexus 5, pretty much all the Lumias... Do I need to go on?

It's all subjective of course. But not subconsciously predetermined, at least not in this case. ;)

But it must be subconscious biases at play, otherwise we'd all agree on the same thing. The question is what goes into determining our biases. Personally, the S7 feels cheap to me in hand compared to the S8. The S8 feels very premium to me when compared to S7.

We both have obvious biases -- not brand loyalty/bias but subconscious biases are altering our perceptions and leading us to different observations.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
But it must be subconscious biases at play, otherwise we'd all agree on the same thing. The question is what goes into determining our biases. Personally, the S7 feels cheap to me in hand compared to the S8. The S8 feels very premium to me when compared to S7.

We both have obvious biases -- not brand loyalty/bias but subconscious biases are altering our perceptions and leading us to different observations.
Yes, but the implication of the post @Oohara replied too, was that he simply didn't like it because he was a (and I hate having to use the term) an Apple fanboy. He isn't.

He just subjectively wasn't impressed by the device when he got to actually use it. We've all been there and done that with technology, movies, music where the subject just doesn't impress or live up to our expectations etc ...

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5go...-support-bixby-voice-assistant-at-launch/amp/

Bixby won't be ready in time for the launch next week. This gives me pause. Not because I care about Bixby but if a feature Sammy has spent so much time touting and even dedicated hardware to on the device isn't ready, what else are they rushing on the phone?

Hey. I give them credit at least for having the balls to pull it if it's not ready. Maybe they learned their lesson from previous issues.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5go...-support-bixby-voice-assistant-at-launch/amp/

Bixby won't be ready in time for the launch next week. This gives me pause. Not because I care about Bixby but if a feature Sammy has spent so much time touting and even dedicated hardware to on the device isn't ready, what else are they rushing on the phone?
Yeah, makes the chances of an already delayed European launch even further back timeframe wise. Just push an update to the device Samsung ASAP and give us the users/consumers the opportunity to remap the button and uninstall the bixby/briefing like screen period.

When you consider how long Google now and siri were in beta and how Google Assistant still doesn't work with all English language variations let alone all languages despite much further development investment than Bixby, it's clear Samsung are rushing this to market far too early for it's own good as by the time it is ever ready users will have grown apathetic it sick of hearing about it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

To be honest, after having the S6 edge, S7 edge, Note 7, and countless of other non-Samsung phones within the last 4 years ................ the S8 and S8+ did feel kind of weird in my hand. I wouldn't say it feel less solid, but it felt weird. Don't know if it's because of how thin it feels or the lack of usable bezels. Regardless, I'm pretty sure it'll only take days to get used to it.

To be fair .... Apple made me wait for portrait mode for a good moment on my iPhone 7+. And that was heavily advertised.

Reactions: Fernandez21

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

It's interesting how the choice of material affects the "feel" of the phone. I agree that the iPhone "feels" more substantial, more durable, just better. Of course it looks like an outdated piece of crap once you open your eyes and look at it, but the feel in the hand is superb. I wonder what will happen when the iPhone has a glass back like the S8. Will the iPhone still somehow retain that old school feel? Or will we condition ourselves to a new paradigm finally.

I agree otherwise as well. The curvature is a negative, accentuating the shortcomings of the weird aspect ratio. It's still a beautiful phone, simply stunning and I wouldn't say no to it. In fact I continue to fight the urge to buy one. Mainly because I really want to see what Apple comes out with. I'm also holding out hope that the Note 8 is 16:9, maybe it needs that extra width to fit the stylus silo. But I think I can be patient with my 7+ for now, I prefer the aspect ratio, but am jealous of how easily the s8 is to hold.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hey. I give them credit at least for having the balls to pull it if it's not ready. Maybe they learned their lesson from previous issues.
It doesn't actually take courage or bravery to NOT do something.

It would be braver (if fool hardy) to stick by your guns and launch with it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Like they did the Note 7 with an explosive battery?
That wasn't 'bravery' to stop selling the Note 7, it was necessity. They had no choice but to recall.

Likewise are you suggesting launching with Bixby in the USA (and I assume we are talking only about the voice recognition part of Bixby) is akin to a dangerous hardware defect ?

I didn't suggest holding back Bixby was a bad thing, but this machismo factor that kicks in with some users to declare anything like this as BRAVE that i find questionable. Not releasing it because it has issues is not bravery, it's a valid necessity.

There is really twisted logic that goes on in forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: Klyster and jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.