Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I absolutely LOVE my Gear S3 Classic.

Just got a big software update last week, so it's even better.

Does what I want it to in an elegant manner, looks incredible (for me, far better looking than Apple Watch), battery life is superb... Plus I've taken the straps from 3 watches I had lying around and use them to completely change the look for free.

OK the apps selection is still very limited but I honestly don't care about apps on my smartwatch, it's more about notifications, fitness tracking, looks and battery life.

It's a genuine 9/10 product for me. I'm happy with this for the next few years, no doubt.
[doublepost=1491855389][/doublepost]

Ahhh... It's either/or on the Sky Sports and Spotify. Still a lovely little deal. Actually I know someone who works for Vodafone, might hit them up.
my dad would be happy with that, he could care less about sky sports. Spotify though he would certainly use.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
9 more days. Keep hoping to get the text message notification that my card has been charged!
Getting closer! My prediction for TMO pre orders....
This Friday the 14th cards will get charged and some UPS labels created. Then shipping starts on the Monday the 17th...

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
FYI: apparently the fancy new Samsung adjustable wireless charging stand *does not* charge any faster than the previous generation.

And yet I still want one! :)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Or you could use both and just wear the watch your in the mood for.
dc4b44d0b36ce69ebb80506b177feaa0.jpg

STOP IT @))#*()* ! Now you are going to make me go out and buy another phone/watch combo, and keep what I have. Sigh, it never ends. :(
[doublepost=1491924038][/doublepost]
FYI: apparently the fancy new Samsung adjustable wireless charging stand *does not* charge any faster than the previous generation.

And yet I still want one! :)

Any pics of it? I haven't seen any reviews mention it.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I've decided to revert to my usual strategy and wait a few months. My S7 Edge seems to magically have fixed itself!

In the meantime, I'll wait for the price to drop to £500 or less. Already put money aside for it.

Definitely following this thread, though - can't wait for you lovely lot to post your impressions and reviews!

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
STOP IT @))#*()* ! Now you are going to make me go out and buy another phone/watch combo, and keep what I have. Sigh, it never ends. :(
[doublepost=1491924038][/doublepost]

Any pics of it? I haven't seen any reviews mention it.

This is the review I watched this morning:

Reactions: spinedoc77

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My apologies if this was already posted earlier...too many posts to read though and catch up on. :D

Samsung may bring its fancy 6GB Galaxy S8 to North America

I doubt it will happen tbh.

----

Does anyone know where or when the Coral Blue version is shipping (region wise).

Why do they restrict availability of the colours ? It's so annoying. Especially when they don't give a timeframe or confirmation that we will receive the colours not available at launch.

I think the coral blue and gold look the nicest personally.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I doubt it will happen tbh.

----

Does anyone know where or when the Coral Blue version is shipping (region wise).

Why do they restrict availability of the colours ? It's so annoying. Especially when they don't give a timeframe or confirmation that we will receive the colours not available at launch.

I think the coral blue and gold look the nicest personally.
I wanted the pearl white but it was not available in the US :-(
So dumb....why not make them all available in all regions?

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wanted the pearl white but it was not available in the US :-(
So dumb....why not make them all available in all regions?

Honestly makes no sense. It's just annoying. Fair enough carriers might not want to carry too much stock variations. But buying unlocked or direct from Samsung we should have the option to pick any of the colours.

Reactions: jamezr

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Honestly makes no sense. It's just annoying. Fair enough carriers might not want to carry too much stock variations. But buying unlocked or direct from Samsung we should have the option to pick any of the colours.
Some people at Samsung really need to get over their fetish for regional differentiation. These color limitations make no sense and the SKU mess they've created with the dozens of unnecessary regional variants just causes them to have problems with delivering updates.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Some people at Samsung really need to get over their fetish for regional differentiation. These color limitations make no sense and the SKU mess they've created with the dozens of unnecessary regional variants just causes them to have problems with delivering updates.

At least they didn't mess up SKU wise regionally as bad as LG did with the G6. Small mercies :)

Reactions: Roadstar

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Had my first feel up of the S8 and S8+ in a store today. To my surprise it left me rather unimpressed. First impression: plasticky. I know it's glass, but I still didn't get a feeling of great build quality.

Then the screen. The screen to bezel ratio is obviously impressive, but I didn't feel that these screens were giving me any more truly usable real estate over my 7 Plus. The S8 in theory has a similar screen area to the 7 Plus, but it looked clearly smaller. The 5.8" diagonal measure in such a small footprint had me drooling until I held the actual phone. Now I see the difference between the aspect ratios.

Even the S8+ screen didn't feel substantially bigger than that of my 7 Plus. The extra area at the top and bottom just didn't wow me. And it felt like I had to reach down to the home button in an uncomfortable way. The home button by the way didn't have a nice haptic vibration, it felt mushy compared to that of the 7 Plus.

Then the colour accuracy... Basic mode is what I always use, to get those more realistic colours. But the white point on that one is too red and as I understand can't be adjusted. Adaptive mode features the manual RGB adjustment but there the colours are too saturated for me overall, not sure if it can be brought to the same levels as the Basic mode but I wasn't able to achieve that in the store.

And the curvature of the screen took me by surprise. Somehow I thought the curve would be a lot sharper than it is. I still got that annoying feeling of the edges of the screen actually being kind of a transparent bezel...

So yeah. I'm pretty disappointed. Of course things change a lot as you really begin to use a phone. But the things I mention above are too significant for me to be able to get used to them, I think.

Still hoping for the Note 8 to blow me away. But for the moment, I suddenly like my 7 Plus a whole lot more. Surprisingly the feel in the hand is a big part of that, the 7 Plus just feels so much more well built and reliable. And neither the S8 nor S8+ made me feel that I'm missing out on screen size with my 7 Plus.

My optimal phone I think would be a blown up S7, because that one felt truly great to hold. And it had just the right curvature to the screen glass, i.e. essentially just 2D glass like on the iPhone.

So, I guess let's see what August/September brings...

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Are you guys sure about Tizen? It's not exactly a winner in terms of security.
I am in full belief that the MAIN reason why Samsung is doing all these extra apps in Touchwiz that replicate Google services is to get them out there and then transfer them to Tizen.

Have you been in the Galaxy Apps Store lately? It's slowly filling up with apps that were in Play Store.

What I really like about Samsung is how patient and strategic they are, they are in this for the long haul. There will be a day where Tizen is ready to go global, for now Samsung are enjoying the spoils of Android while building their own ecosystem very quietly in front of us, lol.

DeX, Bixby etc.... There will come a day when these all run Tizen. At some point their TVs, Washing machines, Fridges, microwaves etc... Will have Tizen. It's just a matter of time.
Samsung are a company that is constantly ensuring they find a "fallback", remember how quick they were to adopt Android JUST as Symbian and Windows Mobile fell apart? Samsung had successful Symbian and WM phones in 2009, but as the hammer came down on both OSs they quickly launched Galaxy S in 2010 ready with their own fully fledged UI that they had developed on both Symbian and WM.

One day Tizen will get it's day to shine, but Id say don't hold your breathe, I don't see Tizen taking over before 2020, until then Samsung will rideout the Android Wave, and they will continue experimenting adding duplicate features etc... To what Google do, if the day comes before 2020 where Android becomes highly compromised, don't be shocked when they bring a flagship with Tizen that is complete with an Exynos SoC, ISOCELL Camera, Touchwiz interface witg Bixby, DeX, Galaxy App Store etc... built-in in pretty much ready for prime time.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
They made US version to have 32gb and wireless charging but no Quad Dac

They made Asian version 64gb with Quad Dac but no wireless charging

They made EU version 32gb with nothing else.

Total mess
Wow, that's a mess. You should first build and release the device and then get wasted at a release party, not the other way around like they've apparently done here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.