Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
It was definitely one of the more comfortable Phones to hold wasn't it?

I'm curious if it is a smooth experience and if I were to download a song or album using other means would it show up in my Apple Music library or do I still have to do that through iTunes?

It's pretty slick. No worse than on iPhone. After the recent update they look and feel the same.

I think you still need iTunes. I only use it for the on-demand versions of the Radio shows

Reactions: mjschabow

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
How is the s8+ in full sunlight? I was at the park all weekend with my daughter and forgot how crappy the iPhone is in sunlight. Might be a selling point for me now that summer is coming.

my galaxy s6 in full sunlight was incredibly bright, mainly because of the auto brightness feature that @Lava Lamp Freak mentioned above. I'd image the s8 will be even better

Reactions: spinedoc77

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Bah, you bunch of enablers. I will most likely pop into BB tonight on the way home and preorder one. I will dearly miss my Apple Watch though. $100 off and the free Gear VR kind of sealed it for me, then I'll most likely just sell it at a small loss for either the Note 8 or the iPhone 8.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Bah, you bunch of enablers. I will most likely pop into BB tonight on the way home and preorder one. I will dearly miss my Apple Watch though. $100 off and the free Gear VR kind of sealed it for me, then I'll most likely just sell it at a small loss for either the Note 8 or the iPhone 8.

Yep that's my only problem. I love my Apple Watch, though the Gear S3 is pretty slick too.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
How is the always on display? Is it more useful this time, does it actually display notification information and is that information actionable? I found the AOD on the note 7 kind of useless, it was just an icon with no information about the notification itself, really just a glorified LED notification IMO. I'm hoping they improved it, although I can't complain as my iPhone has nothing at all.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
How is the always on display? Is it more useful this time, does it actually display notification information and is that information actionable? I found the AOD on the note 7 kind of useless, it was just an icon with no information about the notification itself, really just a glorified LED notification IMO. I'm hoping they improved it, although I can't complain as my iPhone has nothing at all.

It's mostly the same as before. You can double tap on an icon and it will take you to the app. Also, you can swap out the clock with FaceWidgets. One of the FaceWidget's I've seen is for song/media playback controls (play/pause). I believe both of those feature are new with S8.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
It's mostly the same as before. You can double tap on an icon and it will take you to the app. Also, you can swap out the clock with FaceWidgets. One of the FaceWidget's I've seen is for song/media playback controls (play/pause). I believe both of those feature are new with S8.

Ooohhh. I like that.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

yeah, I'm going to miss my Apple Watch too, that's why I'm trying out a Gear S2 Classic I got off eBay for cheap... to see if it can come close to replacing my Apple Watch.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
This is probably directed best @jamezr and @epicrayban, but others feel free to answer as well.

So I am learning towards getting Jump on Demand. So what from I can gather from Reddit is the following:

JoD is $0 for the S8, you're eligible for the VR headset promotion. There are no restocking fees for an over the phone purchase, especially if there is a better promo within your 20 day return window. If you jump to a phone you do not like, you waste it back if want to go back after 20 days. People can break JoD if they jump to another phone (G6, Note 8, iPhone 2017) and return the phone in the buyers' remorse period without penalty (restocking fee and what not)? It's being phased out by the end of this month. It's a monthly fee like $33 a month including tax. They limit which phone you can jump towards. If I do not like the S8, they can give me a refund to my card and I just start over from scratch with my S7?

Are there any other risks I need to be aware of, especially with newer phones coming out in September and being on the hook for a 100% of a MSRP of a device I do not want nor need?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
yeah, I'm going to miss my Apple Watch too, that's why I'm trying out a Gear S2 Classic I got off eBay for cheap... to see if it can come close to replacing my Apple Watch.

It will feel a bit cheaper. I would say the Gear S3 feels about the same in quality and functionality. In fact, I recall reading a news article on the S3 using the USA Today app.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
It will feel a bit cheaper. I would say the Gear S3 feels about the same in quality and functionality. In fact, I recall reading a news article on the S3 using the USA Today app.

In what way is the Gear S2 (classic, in my case) different in functionality than the Gear S3? I've read lots of reviews and it seems it's mainly the size of the Gear S3 and maybe better internals. Curious to know what else.

I'd like to try out the Gear S3 Frontier, I think it's a very good looking watch. But seems too large for me and cost is a bit higher than I paid for my mint condition Gear S2. I'm sure I'll bit the bullet down the road if I end up keeping my S8 for any length of time ;)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
This is probably directed best @jamezr and @epicrayban, but others feel free to answer as well.

So I am learning towards getting Jump on Demand. So what from I can gather from Reddit is the following:

JoD is $0 for the S8, you're eligible for the VR headset promotion. There are no restocking fees for an over the phone purchase, especially if there is a better promo within your 20 day return window. If you jump to a phone you do not like, you waste it back if want to go back after 20 days. People can break JoD if they jump to another phone (G6, Note 8, iPhone 2017) and return the phone in the buyers' remorse period without penalty (restocking fee and what not)? It's being phased out by the end of this month. It's a monthly fee like $33 a month including tax. They limit which phone you can jump towards. If I do not like the S8, they can give me a refund to my card and I just start over from scratch with my S7?

Are there any other risks I need to be aware of, especially with newer phones coming out in September and being on the hook for a 100% of a MSRP of a device I do not want nor need?

From what I've gathered, you'll hear different things at different Tmobile stores. I would not solely rely on this Reddit post and recommend you double check with your Tmobile store directly.

I think some of this is wrong.

From what I understand, your remorse period is 14 days after a Jump with JoD. And if you change your mind and indeed want to return it, you HAVE to pay a restocking fee of $50 dollars. There are ways to get around this, but at the store during the return, there is no escaping it. In the past, I've gotten away with it by calling Tmobile customer service (after the return) and asking them to credit me back the restocking fee as a long standing customer. I had zero issues when I did this recently; they issued me the credit back without hesitation and I saw it in my next bill cycle.

I have heard that Jump on Demand is slowly being phased out. That current JoD customers can continue doing it, but they aren't signing up new people. Again, I am not positive about this since the associate himself didn't seem confident about it. I asked about it for the S8 specifically.

I believe you get a max 3 jumps per year, but that too varies depending from store to store. I believe Jamezr jumps more than 3 times a year cause he has friendly relationships with his Tmobile store.

As for getting out of JoD, this is how I did it to release my S7E and get the unlocked Pixel. I still had $380 or so left on my S7E. I jumped to a cheap LG (forgot which one) without any fees. Then I simply returned the LG the next day, paid the $50 restocking fee, and then called Tmobile to get that credited back. And that was it; I was out of my JoD. If you play by the rules, the only way to get out of JoD is to finish the remainder of your balance on your current phone. There was no way I was going to pay $380 for the S7E that I didn't want to keep, so that was the workaround I did.

I hope that helps. The bottom line is, double check with Tmobile themselves.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I'd like to try out the Gear S3 Frontier, I think it's a very good looking watch. But seems too large for me and cost is a bit higher than I paid for my mint condition Gear S2. I'm sure I'll bit the bullet down the road if I end up keeping my S8 for any length of time ;)

Good call. The good news is that I have small wrists for a guy and the Frontier didn't look bad. Especially after a couple days. Either way, you'll enjoy the rotating dial.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
From what I've gathered, you'll hear different things at different Tmobile stores. I would not solely rely on this Reddit post and recommend you double check with your Tmobile store directly.

I think some of this is wrong.

From what I understand, your remorse period is 14 days after a Jump with JoD. And if you change your mind and indeed want to return it, you HAVE to pay a restocking fee of $50 dollars. There are ways to get around this, but at the store during the return, there is no escaping it. In the past, I've gotten away with it by calling Tmobile customer service (after the return) and asking them to credit me back the restocking fee as a long standing customer. I had zero issues when I did this recently; they issued me the credit back without hesitation and I saw it in my next bill cycle.

I have heard that Jump on Demand is slowly being phased out. That current JoD customers can continue doing it, but they aren't signing up new people. Again, I am not positive about this since the associate himself didn't seem confident about it. I asked about it for the S8 specifically.

I believe you get a max 3 jumps per year, but that too varies depending from store to store. I believe Jamezr jumps more than 3 times a year cause he has friendly relationships with his Tmobile store.

As for getting out of JoD, this is how I did it to release my S7E and get the unlocked Pixel. I still had $380 or so left on my S7E. I jumped to a cheap LG (forgot which one) without any fees. Then I simply returned the LG the next day, paid the $50 restocking fee, and then called Tmobile to get that credited back. And that was it; I was out of my JoD. If you play by the rules, the only way to get out of JoD is to finish the remainder of your balance on your current phone. There was no way I was going to pay $380 for the S7E that I didn't want to keep, so that was the workaround I did.

I hope that helps. The bottom line is, double check with Tmobile themselves.

I think they limit which phone you can jump to now. But that being said, if over the phone doesn't charge a restocking fee, I can go ahead and jump to an eligible device (LG G6 or something) and then return it if I need to get out of the deal in other words?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Good call. The good news is that I have small wrists for a guy and the Frontier didn't look bad. Especially after a couple days. Either way, you'll enjoy the rotating dial.

just curious, in what way is the Gear S2 (3G classic, in my case) different in functionality than the Gear S3? I've read lots of reviews and it seems it's mainly the size of the Gear S3 and maybe better internals. Curious to know what else.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I think they limit which phone you can jump to now. But that being said, if over the phone doesn't charge a restocking fee, I can go ahead and jump to an eligible device (LG G6 or something) and then return it if I need to get out of the deal in other words?

Yes. That's not an officially recognized method, but all the Tmo reps I dealt with knew of this "workaround" and had no problem with it. You're basically working within the rules. You can jump, and you can return within 14 days.

The way I figured it, it's better paying $50 restocking fee (if customer service said no to my request to credit it back) versus paying $380 for a device I didn't want at the time.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
just curious, in what way is the Gear S2 (3G classic, in my case) different in functionality than the Gear S3? I've read lots of reviews and it seems it's mainly the size of the Gear S3 and maybe better internals. Curious to know what else.

Yeah. The design is a bit updated. The bezel has better grip. The screen is better in my opinion. And battery is much improved.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
From what I understand, a slightly faster processor, GPS, full Samsung pay (on the gear S2 it only does NFC), and a bigger battery.

While I've kind of wanted one, the size has put me off, prefer the size of the gear S2 classic (though it could be thinner).

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

So you just get an icon and not some text, like maybe the email subject line or the text message? I was hoping I didn't have to go to the app, or even touch the phone to determine if the notification really needed my attention. I guess it's an improvement that the notification is actionable, but it seems to not really save me any time if I'm already picking up the phone and opening the app.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
My dad has just pre ordered the S8 plus on Vodafone

£59 a month
20GB data
Unlimited calls and texts
2 years free spotify
2 years sky sports

Looking forward to a hands on With the phone. That will sure hurt my temptations

Ahhh... It's either/or on the Sky Sports and Spotify. Still a lovely little deal. Actually I know someone who works for Vodafone, might hit them up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.