Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
... I decided to stick with iOS. I made a list of pros and cons of switching and ultimately the Apple ecosystem was the difference maker. Too many purchased games and apps, .....

If you did buy an Android device, all your ios apps and games still work. Just pull out your old iPhone from your desk drawer or use your ipad pro.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Welp. It's been fun following this thread. I decided to stick with iOS. I made a list of pros and cons of switching and ultimately the Apple ecosystem was the difference maker. Too many purchased games and apps, iMessage, all my safari favorites, and the fact that it's such a seamless transition when I want to use my iPad Pro.

Hope you all enjoy the S8! Looks amazing but I just can't do it.

Put iOS on the S8 and make turn the Bixby button into a Siri button I would be lining up right now. Maybe put the camera at the top left and make the fingerprint reader the Apple logo that lights up I would sell a kidney.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Put iOS on the S8 and make turn the Bixby button into a Siri button I would be lining up right now. Maybe put the camera at the top left and make the fingerprint reader the Apple logo that lights up I would sell a kidney.

Siri is worse than Google Now and the Google Assistant. It's time for Apple to step it up with the ongoing virtual assistant competition.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Siri is worse than Google Now and the Google Assistant. It's time for Apple to step it up with the ongoing virtual assistant competition.

All the voice assistants are hit and miss for me, the only way Google Assistant works here is because I set my region / language to English UK. If I left it as English Irish as it defaults on set up, then Assistant would not work at all and Google Now is very meh! Siri has a 'little modicum' better of English Ireland support but the voice they use for Ireland (actually this applies to both GN & Siri) is really poor indeed and the attempt at an 'irish' twang comes across like Stephen Hawkin in drag ......

Reactions: 5105973

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
All the voice assistants are hit and miss for me, the only way Google Assistant works here is because I set my region / language to English UK. If I left it as English Irish as it defaults on set up, then Assistant would not work at all and Google Now is very meh! Siri has a 'little modicum' better of English Ireland support but the voice they use for Ireland (actually this applies to both GN & Siri) is really poor indeed and the attempt at an 'irish' twang comes across like Stephen Hawkin in drag ......

Language differences aside, Siri has worse audio detection. Siri didn't get opened up for dev SDKs up until iOS 10. Head to head, Siri just sounded lobotomized vs Google Now.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Question ...

Those that have seen the device in person have you seen all three colours and regarding the Silver, is it very similar to the platinum S7 ?

The Orchid ? How does the black front, silver sides and lilac back hold together aesthetically in reality ?

And finally I assume the black with its black sides is probably going to be the most popular due to its stealthier look, but of the ones you have seen, which is the one your going for.

I've seen all three colors. Midnight black is the best looking for me. Especially since the sides and top/bottom are also black. Arctic silver is actually better looking to me than the Orchid Gray, the sides look like a nice shiny chrome that matches well with the black front. The back is very reflective though. With Orchid Gray it depends on the type of lighting and angle you are looking at it. It can have the nice settle purple look to it, or just looks dull.

Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Language differences aside, Siri has worse audio detection. Siri didn't get opened up for dev SDKs up until iOS 10. Head to head, Siri just sounded lobotomized vs Google Now.

Actually the one thing I do love doing with Google Assistant is playing a game. The Quiz Show feature is fantastic whether playing by yourself or with 2 - 4 players. :) I recommend everyone give it a try - its class :D
[doublepost=1491761570][/doublepost]
I've seen all three colors. Midnight black is the best looking for me. Especially since the sides and top/bottom are also black. Arctic silver is actually better looking to me than the Orchid Gray, the sides look like a nice shiny chrome that matches well with the black front. The back is very reflective though. With Orchid Gray it depends on the type of lighting and angle you are looking at it. It can have the nice settle purple look to it, or just looks dull.

It's just typical of Samsung not to have all the colours available on launch in all territories.

Reactions: nviz22 and 5105973

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
That opening of SDK was also neutered to irrelevance by Apple's restrictions. I was hoping that I could finally change podcast episodes with voice control while driving like I can with Google Now, but Apple's now insisting that I'd use their crappy Podcasts app for Siri to work. Well, that's not going to happen. I'm not giving up Pocket Casts or Overcast just for Siri, but I'd give Siri another chance if those apps were allowed to integrate with it.

It's still somewhat surprising that a company with so many bad or questionable choices as of late is still the only company that can handle OS and security update delivery in an acceptable manner. I'd have the S8 on preorder if I weren't so badly burnt by the lack of timely updates for my S7 Edge.

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
I have a SIM free S8 on pre order in the U.K, what's everyone's experiences of updates from Samsung for these? Better or worse then the networks?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
That opening of SDK was also neutered to irrelevance by Apple's restrictions. I was hoping that I could finally change podcast episodes with voice control while driving like I can with Google Now, but Apple's now insisting that I'd use their crappy Podcasts app for Siri to work. Well, that's not going to happen. I'm not giving up Pocket Casts or Overcast just for Siri, but I'd give Siri another chance if those apps were allowed to integrate with it.

It's still somewhat surprising that a company with so many bad or questionable choices as of late is still the only company that can handle OS and security update delivery in an acceptable manner. I'd have the S8 on preorder if I weren't so badly burnt by the lack of timely updates for my S7 Edge.

So true about the updates. The Nougat rollout for the S7E (Verizon) was really embarrassing. If the design of the Pixel wasn't so awful (as well as the availability) I'd be all over that.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So true about the updates. The Nougat rollout for the S7E (Verizon) was really embarrassing. If the design of the Pixel wasn't so awful (as well as the availability) I'd be all over that.

If you think think the S7E verizon update was painful, pity those that purchased the device directly from Samsung in the USA unlocked and unbranded, who still have yet to even get Nougat ... No carriers to blame on that one.

It's why I remain skeptical of Samsung's promises regarding updates as they have never been able to keep to their promise in that regard.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I have a SIM free S8 on pre order in the U.K, what's everyone's experiences of updates from Samsung for these? Better or worse then the networks?

If it's anything like the S7, unlocked international (Exonys) variants will get timely updates-- and are within a week or two of carrier updates (earlier or later, it's very random).
However, the Snapdragon/North American unlocked variant has been neglected. Security updates are quarterly, and Nougat still hasn't been released.

For that very reason, I'll be waiting a few months and probably getting the international unlocked variant. I'm looking forward to remapping that extra physical (Bixby) button ;)

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Not to derail things but it's time for Apple to step it up in a few places. Their email and calendar apps are ancient at this point, in example. Siri is a dumpster fire compared to Google Assistant or whatever they're calling it this week. I thought 3D Touch might be cool but nope. I do not prefer the current means to quick reply. Everything is a stupid bubble effect. Their keyboard used to be first in class but the autocorrect is ferocious and actually seems to get dumber the more you use it. The OS needs a refresh.

Just to be clear: I'm a huge Apple fan. I'm tapping this post out on my IP7+. I am not locked into their eco system, I do not use iMessage. I choose to use the iPhone because I think there's still so much good about the OS and hardware.

But: increasingly I'm using my Pixel XL, and if the S8+ checks all boxes for me there's a shot for the first time in years I give up my iPhone. I'm waiting to also see what the OS will look like at WWDC.

Reactions: nviz22 and 5105973

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
In case anyone was curious, here are some pictures comparing the S8 with my S7. The S8 is a little narrower and feels nicer with the smoothed out rounded edges and a little taller.
6628d591c75b6571f99af2771cdf3132.jpg
cc6184df50f7ac86971b616e26858643.jpg
7459275f865bc54e569d80009d5999c7.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
For both Gmail and Apple's email app, there's an option in settings to delete emails instead of archiving them by swiping in either direction. To be fair, they're not set by default as it is with Samsung's offering.
Some of Apples default email settings threw me for a loop through iOS 10 updates.

Reactions: that be me

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Dammit. Now I've watched a couple YouTube videos and I'm starting to think about trying it out again. I'll probably wait until the real reviews come out like Technobuffalo and Flossy.

scrumpyjack

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2016

I agree with this so much. As good as it looks Android just sucks. From the lack of app compatibility to icons not being a uniform size to having to rely on a third party launcher.. Why? What you're describing is probably the iPhone 8 anyway. Sit tight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.