Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Interesting comparison betw the G6 and S8/S8+ http://www.ubergizmo.com/reviews/galaxy-s8-vs-lg-g6-in-depth/ I must say on paper I highly prefer the flat screen and slightly wider ratio of the G6, but I haven't had a chance to see it in person. The G6 does look a bit chunky, and they could have made the top/bottom bezels a bit thinner like Samsung did. I know lots of users on the forums haven't had good luck with the G6 camera, but the review gave it top marks.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
looks like we snapdragon users are getting shafted again.i know benchmarks are not a big deal but the exynos 8895 loads way faster than the 835.

it's not fair to pay 850 dollars and the rest of the world gets a better chip in there phones.

Idk how you're financing your phone, but if you're spending $850, you can always get the Exynos model on eBay. The limitations are the following: less warranty coverage, no carrier specific features like Wi-Fi Calling, less flexible financing options, no guaranteed Samsung Pay, and taking a chance with an eBay seller.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
It's a case that either ALL these video speed tests are by their nature flawed and therefore there can be NO WINNERS period, or its a case that they aren't flawed and are legitimate ways of testing a device.

Folks on the forum can not pick and choose based on the outcome of the result, as what seems to have become an habitual habit on the fora.

Seems like when a device being championed is shown to lose, folks decide these tests are bogus and when device championed wins, then the device is a triumph. That's not how it works folks. These are not pick and mix.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of these videos. They're really not relevant to anything. I posted this one more because it gives an idea of how fast the S8 is. iPhone's performance was impressive but not unexpected.

Reactions: MRU

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
looks like we snapdragon users are getting shafted again.i know benchmarks are not a big deal but the exynos 8895 loads way faster than the 835.

it's not fair to pay 850 dollars and the rest of the world gets a better chip in there phones.
And the #1 biggest shaft deal breaker, is the SD phones are locked down, and the international phones are unlocked, and can be rooted and ROM'd. Galaxy phones ABSOLUTELY need ROM's to unleash the performance and make the phone not so laggy and buggy, and terrible, like they are stock.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Idk how you're financing your phone, but if you're spending $850, you can always get the Exynos model on eBay. The limitations are the following: less warranty coverage, no carrier specific features like Wi-Fi Calling, less flexible financing options, no guaranteed Samsung Pay, and taking a chance with an eBay seller.

I tried that with the note 5. I couldn't get internet to work because I'm on Verizon and they use CDMA and there LTE bands don't work on Verizon's network.

also tried it on T-Mobile and got internet to work but not there new band 12 frequency.

the European phones are tuned for different frequency but they at least will get some form of LTE on att and TMobile but nothing on Verizon

niceandeasy

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2017
Who really cares about benchmarks, every half decent phone is more than fast enough these days. That infinity display means a lot more to me than loading an app a gazillionth of a second faster.
It's a case that either ALL these video speed tests are by their nature flawed and therefore there can be NO WINNERS period, or its a case that they aren't flawed and are legitimate ways of testing a device.

Folks on the forum can not pick and choose based on the outcome of the result, as what seems to have become an habitual habit on the fora.

Seems like when a device being championed is shown to lose, folks decide these tests are bogus and when device championed wins, then the device is a triumph. That's not how it works folks. These are not pick and mix.

Who really cares about benchmarks anyway, every half decent phone is more than fast enough these days. That infinity display means a lot more to me than loading an app a gazillionth of a second faster.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I suspect a lot of people stay on IPhone for Imessage due to being poorly miss informed than the few extra and almost trivial features now left over other apps.

We all know Apple policies for deliberately forcing multi device purchasing not just on IPhone That's why other OEM's outlooks are far more refreshing IMO
[doublepost=1491647757][/doublepost]
I agree that the diagonal measurement is almost meaningless now and actual area is a better.

However what is noticeable is the available screen area vs the native footprint of the device.

Whilst you focused on width which may not see larger images for example but as the given area is bigger more text is possible or larger text font and the same amount of words, so content can be larger in some scenarios :)

I also suspect for those that use multiple windows/split screen the taller aspect ratio favours this mode so more or larger content will be there for the footprint

Or you know they could just like the iPhone. Like millions of others do.

So funny that the masses who buy an iPhone are seen as ignorant and/or misinformed. Are people that buy other phones people that have seen the light? lol

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Interesting comparison betw the G6 and S8/S8+ http://www.ubergizmo.com/reviews/galaxy-s8-vs-lg-g6-in-depth/ I must say on paper I highly prefer the flat screen and slightly wider ratio of the G6, but I haven't had a chance to see it in person. The G6 does look a bit chunky, and they could have made the top/bottom bezels a bit thinner like Samsung did. I know lots of users on the forums haven't had good luck with the G6 camera, but the review gave it top marks.

If I were to get either one, it would be the Galaxy S8. Not that I'm all about tech specs, but the new chip will get the blazing fast LTE speeds on TMobile. That's the main thing for me. Oh, and the amaoled screen. Those are freaking sweet.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I suspect a lot of people stay on IPhone for Imessage due to being poorly miss informed than the few extra and almost trivial features now left over other apps.

We all know Apple policies for deliberately forcing multi device purchasing not just on IPhone That's why other OEM's outlooks are far more refreshing IMO
[doublepost=1491647757][/doublepost]
I agree that the diagonal measurement is almost meaningless now and actual area is a better.

However what is noticeable is the available screen area vs the native footprint of the device.

Whilst you focused on width which may not see larger images for example but as the given area is bigger more text is possible or larger text font and the same amount of words, so content can be larger in some scenarios :)

I also suspect for those that use multiple windows/split screen the taller aspect ratio favours this mode so more or larger content will be there for the footprint

I'm going to skip over the "misinformed" thing and ask about those policies that "force" multi device purchases.

Reactions: Truefan31

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

I played with them both at a local AT&T store yesterday and I must say, I loved that G6 in person. It felt great and I loved the screen to body ratio... and the flat screen was nice. I then played with the GS8 and GS8+ and I'm not quite sure I like the curved screen. I've never owned a curved screen Samsung but I far preferred the look and feel of the GS6 in hand. I do have a regular S8 on pre-order, so I'll see what it looks like to use without store demo software and security tether. I'm pretty excited for the S8 to say the least but I was very impressed with the G6. Too bad about the camera (per @jamezr review) and potential lack of software updates and potential for bootloop :(
[doublepost=1491668882][/doublepost]

While I don't doubt some iPhone users lack the awareness of other available apps (Whatsapp, Allo, etc), a lot of times, at least in the US, those other apps aren't needed as SMS/MMS still reign king over using Whatsapp, etc. And with SMS/MMS/iMessage built in to the default messaging app on iPhone, there typically hasn't been a need for anything else (again, at least here in the US).

And for me wanting to stay on iMessage is because literally 99% of the contacts I message frequently have iPhones. And I have a very large and spread out family with lots of kids, so sharing photos, videos, etc. via iMessage just comes natural and easy. When I switch around to android every now and then, it does cause havoc in this arena. And to get everyone in my phone list to download/install Whatsapp just for me is pretty much a non-starter. But, I still persevere when I switch and utilize Google photos for video sharing (via the link sharing) and deal with MMS for photos. I would prefer just to use Whatsapp all the time but that's not going to happen.

So, at least in my case, it has nothing to do with "poorly miss informed" people, it just has to do with the fact that 0% of my contacts have Whatsapp on their phones. And to get everyone to switch is not going to happen.

Obviously everyone's use case is different, but this is mine. And I'm quite informed, thank you ;)

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

I understand that but you're also getting incredible deals - free Gear VR, awesome bundles, BOGOF deals etc...

In the UK? Nothing. We ain't gettin' nada. It's bizarre. Very disappointed.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I wouldn't say always. I've ran into several games that run faster on Android flagships. The latest one is Mario Run, it loads faster on my V20 than the iPhone 7.
Yeah but in the grand scheme of things, who cares? We are talking a couple seconds. If that bugs anyone then I don't know what to say. It's not like most go plowing thru games like that. You pick one and play it. These tests are just conversation pieces and they work very well for that.
When your game loads two seconds slower on the GS8 you then get to play it on a much better screen but then complain In a forum that it was two seconds slower.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I tried that with the note 5. I couldn't get internet to work because I'm on Verizon and they use CDMA and there LTE bands don't work on Verizon's network.

also tried it on T-Mobile and got internet to work but not there new band 12 frequency.

the European phones are tuned for different frequency but they at least will get some form of LTE on att and TMobile but nothing on Verizon

Hmm let me look into the Note 5 vs the S7 to see if there is a considerable difference between about 6 months or so? Normally, that's the case with international models. Too many what ifs with the international models. Gotta make an unlocked Exynos model in the US, Sammy. Seriously disappointing with Snapdragon though. Hopefully Samsung's tuning worked though.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...pi=1876,{creative},{keyword}&is=REG&A=details

Is that the model you tried?

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Hmm let me look into the Note 5 vs the S7 to see if there is a considerable difference between about 6 months or so? Normally, that's the case with international models. Too many what ifs with the international models. Gotta make an unlocked Exynos model in the US, Sammy. Seriously disappointing with Snapdragon though. Hopefully Samsung's tuning worked though.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1200819&gclid=CjwKEAjwlKLHBRDztKr6wMnRthMSJAALcT-sDYJO3Dg_Tr7MGHkMN29zn3ybjZHOpPOLN9NnpC4L1hoC4lHw_wcB&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,{creative},{keyword}&is=REG&A=details

Is that the model you tried?

yes pretty sure it was that one.it was either c or i after the model number but when I ordered online it said international unlocked model

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I played with them both at a local AT&T store yesterday and I must say, I loved that G6 in person. It felt great and I loved the screen to body ratio... and the flat screen was nice. I then played with the GS8 and GS8+ and I'm not quite sure I like the curved screen. I've never owned a curved screen Samsung but I far preferred the look and feel of the GS6 in hand. I do have a regular S8 on pre-order, so I'll see what it looks like to use without store demo software and security tether. I'm pretty excited for the S8 to say the least but I was very impressed with the G6. Too bad about the camera (per @jamezr review) and potential lack of software updates and potential for bootloop :(
[doublepost=1491668882][/doublepost]

While I don't doubt some iPhone users lack the awareness of other available apps (Whatsapp, Allo, etc), a lot of times, at least in the US, those other apps aren't needed as SMS/MMS still reign king over using Whatsapp, etc. And with SMS/MMS/iMessage built in to the default messaging app on iPhone, there typically hasn't been a need for anything else (again, at least here in the US).

And for me wanting to stay on iMessage is because literally 99% of the contacts I message frequently have iPhones. And I have a very large and spread out family with lots of kids, so sharing photos, videos, etc. via iMessage just comes natural and easy. When I switch around to android every now and then, it does cause havoc in this arena. And to get everyone in my phone list to download/install Whatsapp just for me is pretty much a non-starter. But, I still persevere when I switch and utilize Google photos for video sharing (via the link sharing) and deal with MMS for photos. I would prefer just to use Whatsapp all the time but that's not going to happen.

So, at least in my case, it has nothing to do with "poorly miss informed" people, it just has to do with the fact that 0% of my contacts have Whatsapp on their phones. And to get everyone to switch is not going to happen.

Obviously everyone's use case is different, but this is mine. And I'm quite informed, thank you ;)

It's interesting how different people can hold the same devices in hand and walk away with a difference experience.

I just got back from Best Buy where I saw the G6 in person for the first time. I spent maybe 5 minutes with it and walked away unimpressed, picked up the S8, and wondered why anyone would like the G6. I wrote in a prior post that I'm completely sold on this AMOLED tech, but it's more than that. I just like the whole Galaxy S package better than anything else.

I was reading comments on Reddit this morning, people saying that third-party apps are better on iOS. But every third-party app I use I feel has a better experience on Android.

One thing different from me than many iOS users is I leave iMessage disabled on my iPhone. I had it enabled a few months ago and was parked in a garage waiting on my mom to text me to pick her up. I never got any texts from her. She called wanting to know where I was at. I didn't have a good signal in the garage so her texts sent through to iMessage but my phone wasn't downloading them. As soon as I left the garage they all downloaded. I turned it off and have left it off since then. And in all my years of iPhone ownership I've yet to use FaceTime. So, nothing is really tying me to the iOS platform, and I have more purchased apps on Android than iOS after years of switching back and forth.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
How could one regret the switch from 950 to S8?

It's actually a switch from iPhone 7 Plus to S8.
My 950 is my backup phone (and go to camera) which never gets used as my full timer. Until now.
Thankfully I do like the phone a lot, but god it has some quirks! Gonna be al long 12 days!

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I saw a couple comparison videos compared to the iphone camera and they looked pretty comparable to me, I dont think this will have the same wow as the S6 did

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Or you know they could just like the iPhone. Like millions of others do.

So funny that the masses who buy an iPhone are seen as ignorant and/or misinformed. Are people that buy other phones people that have seen the light? lol
Try and stick to the point the reply was specific to buying just for Imessage :rolleyes: and is just another group of many who buy an IPhone for many reasons

I suspect when you sell that many phones there will be for example a large group who bought it just because it's pink

With 100's of millions of sales not everyone is fussing over the details like we do :D

I doubt anyone here is misinformed :)
[doublepost=1491692352][/doublepost]

I totally agree and as you note especially in the US you have a much better chance :)

On the odd occasion where all my immediate family and I had an IPhone it was back when my kids were at Uni and they were in the minority in the UK, Icloud was in its infancy and FaceTime was banned in the middle east

Even when I worked in the US our branch all had Samsung where the other office had IPhone so I have never been as lucky as you :)
[doublepost=1491694504][/doublepost]
I'm going to skip over the "misinformed" thing and ask about those policies that "force" multi device purchases.
I think we have digressed enough in an S8 thread :)
[doublepost=1491695137][/doublepost]
Does anyone know if the themes we downloaded / purchased on S7/7e will work on S8 ?

I guess we will get an update from the developer like we did for nougat

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
If I were to get either one, it would be the Galaxy S8. Not that I'm all about tech specs, but the new chip will get the blazing fast LTE speeds on TMobile. That's the main thing for me. Oh, and the amaoled screen. Those are freaking sweet.

Those are good reasons for sure. Although I've always wondered why the need for such high speed on a cell phone. You'll burn through those 20 or so gb of "unlimited" data real fast.

One thing for sure, I'm extremely impatient for the Note 8 now. Why oh why Samsung do you release the note 8 so much later?!?!

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Those are good reasons for sure. Although I've always wondered why the need for such high speed on a cell phone. You'll burn through those 20 or so gb of "unlimited" data real fast.

Higher bandwidth speed doesn't really mean you'll use more. But when you want to download something, like a huge game update or a large zip file from the cloud, speed makes a difference. Plus resolution quality when you're streaming a TV app is more stable.

Some areas where I live, on T-mobile I get over a 100mbps down and other places around 35mbps down. I can easily notice the difference.

One thing for sure, I'm extremely impatient for the Note 8 now. Why oh why Samsung do you release the note 8 so much later?!?!

I wouldn't be surprised if the Note 8 becomes Samsung's biggest seller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.