Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I never even heard of alacantara until these cases came out. I hope I spelled it right. Autocorrect doesn't seem to know the word and kept trying to put in "alpaca". :rolleyes:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah it's cool. I'm still wondering if the S8 screen will actually feel bigger though, in actual use. The diagonal measure is a bit misleading as those displays have such different aspect ratios. In the end the S8 display area is only about 2,5% bigger than that of the 7 Plus. And the S8 display is actually about 4mm narrower than the 7+ display, so in practice, text & web content etc will appear smaller on the S8, even though there's more of it horizontally.

And the S8+ display is the same width as the 7 Plus display (S8+ is 0,4 mm wider...) so the S8+ screen will just feel longer than the 7 Plus screen. Again, content won't actually be bigger.

I dunno, the extra space horizontally might feel amazing of course and really make the display look huge and awesome, but I'm just not ready to get overly excited about these displays until I've really tested them. I think people in general are getting just a tad too mesmerised by that diagonal measure that makes the S8 screen sound way way bigger than the 7 Plus screen.

Still hoping that the Note 8 screen will be at least as wide as the Note 7 screen was... I'd rather have the phone be slightly wider to maintain screen width - which at least for me is just as important as height.

The S8 and S8+ are gorgeous but the Mate 9 is still my biggest screen turn on at the moment. 5.9" in 16:9, in a footprint no bigger than the 7 Plus... If Sammy could at least match that with the Note 8 - including the screen width - I'd be in heaven.

I don't mind the extra screen size as long as it's not bulky feeling like 7+. It felt so heavy in my pocket. My S7 feels comfortable enough in my pocket and wouldn't be so bad when I head to gym too.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Welp. It's been fun following this thread. I decided to stick with iOS. I made a list of pros and cons of switching and ultimately the Apple ecosystem was the difference maker. Too many purchased games and apps, iMessage, all my safari favorites, and the fact that it's such a seamless transition when I want to use my iPad Pro.

Hope you all enjoy the S8! Looks amazing but I just can't do it.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah it's cool. I'm still wondering if the S8 screen will actually feel bigger though, in actual use. The diagonal measure is a bit misleading as those displays have such different aspect ratios. In the end the S8 display area is only about 2,5% bigger than that of the 7 Plus. And the S8 display is actually about 4mm narrower than the 7+ display, so in practice, text & web content etc will appear smaller on the S8, even though there's more of it horizontally.

And the S8+ display is the same width as the 7 Plus display (S8+ is 0,4 mm wider...) so the S8+ screen will just feel longer than the 7 Plus screen. Again, content won't actually be bigger.

I dunno, the extra space horizontally might feel amazing of course and really make the display look huge and awesome, but I'm just not ready to get overly excited about these displays until I've really tested them. I think people in general are getting just a tad too mesmerised by that diagonal measure that makes the S8 screen sound way way bigger than the 7 Plus screen.

Still hoping that the Note 8 screen will be at least as wide as the Note 7 screen was... I'd rather have the phone be slightly wider to maintain screen width - which at least for me is just as important as height.

The S8 and S8+ are gorgeous but the Mate 9 is still my biggest screen turn on at the moment. 5.9" in 16:9, in a footprint no bigger than the 7 Plus... If Sammy could at least match that with the Note 8 - including the screen width - I'd be in heaven.

That's what I've been saying. These displays aren't as big as their measurements say because they are taller. It's kind of like cheating with the screen ratio to make the screen size sound better. Want a 10" screen? Sure, but your phone will be 6 times as tall as it is wide.

It's funny you mention the mate 9. The very first phone I looked at after the s8plus was the m9. Even though the m9 has a smaller screen on paper, in the hand it looks huge next to the s8.

I get having a narrow phone, it's an advantage for some. Just not my cup of tea.

Reactions: tbayrgs

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
You can re-verify, though, and have it work on both devices. You can't do that with Allo.

Agreed and I understand that Allo has little or no back-up so when you swap previous chats etc are lost

What I dislike about Imessages is it all falls down for the free stuff over WiFi for any contacts that do not have an IPhone so you end up having WhatsApp etc regardless especially when overseas if you do not have a local sim or an expensive roaming contract

The free calls over WiFi on Line has saved me a few times as I sometimes have bad cell coverage at our holiday home in Thailand. Line coverage here is amazing where I find WhatsApp is more in UK/UAE YMMV

Imessage/FaceTime seems a more family and friends oriented IMO to get the most from it, it really should be opened up across platform IMO. Add to that no Dual Sim currently on Iphones makes them a very limiting device for my daily usage.

Reactions: 5105973

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Agreed and I understand that Allo has little or no back-up so when you swap previous chats etc are lost

What I dislike about Imessages is it all falls down for the free stuff over WiFi for any contacts that do not have an IPhone so you end up having WhatsApp etc regardless especially when overseas if you do not have a local sim or an expensive roaming contract

The free calls over WiFi on Line has saved me a few times as I sometimes have bad cell coverage at our holiday home in Thailand. Line coverage here is amazing where I find WhatsApp is more in UK/UAE YMMV

Imessage/FaceTime seems a more family and friends oriented IMO to get the most from it, it really should be opened up across platform IMO. Add to that no Dual Sim currently on Iphones makes them a very limiting device for my daily usage.

iMessage is a reason why a lot of people stay on iPhones. Why would Apple give up an advantage when they get nothing for it?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

I don't love comparison videos like this but it's still interesting. iOS is so incredibly optimized.
The S8 actually won the basic apps test and keep in mind the S8 is going to receive optimisation fixes in the future.Game loading will always be faster on the iPhone because of optimisation

Reactions: Demo Kit

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The S8 actually won the basic apps test and keep in mind the S8 is going to receive optimisation fixes in the future.Game loading will always be faster on the iPhone because of optimisation

I wouldn't say always. I've ran into several games that run faster on Android flagships. The latest one is Mario Run, it loads faster on my V20 than the iPhone 7.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Smh here we go lol. But it is impressive considering the 7 plus is 7 months old now.
and I'm sure after months of use the S8 MAY slow down as I found the S7 edge did. While the 7 plus performance wise will stay very good for a good amount of time.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
and I'm sure after months of use the S8 MAY slow down as I found the S7 edge did. While the 7 plus performance wise will stay very good for a good amount of time.
If you were to treat the S7 edge like an iPhone and restrict it's use and OS to a sandboxed environment, you would get the same result as using an iPhone. I've been using my S7 for a while now with no slow down... But I restrict downloads to just the play store, I use Samsung's internet browser for browsing limited sites, while using the Samsung adblocker, and I keep the settings in a relatively restrictive mode in terms of display, amount of notifications, style of wallpaper, etc.

Additionally, I've had my Tab S2 for a year and a half, using it for everything and anything and there has been no noticable slowdown at all. So, go figure???

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If you were to treat the S7 edge like an iPhone and restrict it's use and OS to a sandboxed environment, you would get the same result as using an iPhone. I've been using my S7 for a while now with no slow down... But I restrict downloads to just the play store, I use Samsung's internet browser for browsing limited sites, while using the Samsung adblocker, and I keep the settings in a relatively restrictive mode in terms of display, amount of notifications, style of wallpaper, etc.

Additionally, I've had my Tab S2 for a year and a half, using it for everything and anything and there has been no noticable slowdown at all. So, go figure???
I used my S7 edge the same way as my iphone. some youtube reviewers have stated a year on their Samsung has slowed down since when they got it. Sadly it happens It’s not a myth. Which is why It would be hard to keep for more than 2 years. Not that I would anyway given how much I upgrade each year. You shouldn’t really need to do things differently or download something to stop it from slowing down. That said does it slow down enough to matter a lot? Maybe not. I guess a lot is how you use your device and previous Samsung phones have slowed down over time but it’s clearly not a big factor to me seeing as I have been tempted to get the S8.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's a case that either ALL these video speed tests are by their nature flawed and therefore there can be NO WINNERS period, or its a case that they aren't flawed and are legitimate ways of testing a device.

Folks on the forum can not pick and choose based on the outcome of the result, as what seems to have become an habitual habit on the fora.

Seems like when a device being championed is shown to lose, folks decide these tests are bogus and when device championed wins, then the device is a triumph. That's not how it works folks. These are not pick and mix.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
iMessage is a reason why a lot of people stay on iPhones. Why would Apple give up an advantage when they get nothing for it?

I suspect a lot of people stay on IPhone for Imessage due to being poorly miss informed than the few extra and almost trivial features now left over other apps.

We all know Apple policies for deliberately forcing multi device purchasing not just on IPhone That's why other OEM's outlooks are far more refreshing IMO
[doublepost=1491647757][/doublepost]

I agree that the diagonal measurement is almost meaningless now and actual area is a better.

However what is noticeable is the available screen area vs the native footprint of the device.

Whilst you focused on width which may not see larger images for example but as the given area is bigger more text is possible or larger text font and the same amount of words, so content can be larger in some scenarios :)

I also suspect for those that use multiple windows/split screen the taller aspect ratio favours this mode so more or larger content will be there for the footprint

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Welp. It's been fun following this thread. I decided to stick with iOS. I made a list of pros and cons of switching and ultimately the Apple ecosystem was the difference maker. Too many purchased games and apps, iMessage, all my safari favorites, and the fact that it's such a seamless transition when I want to use my iPad Pro.

Hope you all enjoy the S8! Looks amazing but I just can't do it.
Hey, no problem! I'm glad you made a decision that will suit you best and now is not a bad time to re dedicate yourself to the Apple ecosystem because it looks like FINALLY Tim and friends have pulled their heads out of their butts and are also going to rededicate themselves to the ecosystem, too. I just don't know how long it will take them to undo the damage they caused with their neglect and futzing around with Chinese cars and Planet of the Apps. Grrrrrrr.

I like Samsung phones better in many ways, but if I could have only one, I would also choose iPhone because iMessage is the best for my needs. I far prefer how Apple delivers news to me. I also will never fully embrace Android while they employ that ridiculous lock out timer when I can't get my fingerprints to work on the sensor and spaz out trying. Give a girl a break you paranoid doofus! (Not you, I am ranting at all the times I locked myself out of my Galaxies). I also far prefer how much easier it is to turn off my alarm on iOS with a tap than all the delicate swiping I have had to do on HTC and Galaxy (HTC is much worse though).

I do love and prefer my Samsung mail app. It's the one thing I think they should keep and never surrender to Google.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
It's a case that either ALL these video speed tests are by their nature flawed and therefore there can be NO WINNERS period, or its a case that they aren't flawed and are legitimate ways of testing a device.

Folks on the forum can not pick and choose based on the outcome of the result, as what seems to have become an habitual habit on the fora.

Seems like when a device being championed is shown to lose, folks decide these tests are bogus and when device championed wins, then the device is a triumph. That's not how it works folks. These are not pick and mix.
I like these types of speedtests, I find the phones that do well feel more responsive in day to day use.

Last edited:

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
looks like we snapdragon users are getting shafted again.i know benchmarks are not a big deal but the exynos 8895 loads way faster than the 835.

it's not fair to pay 850 dollars and the rest of the world gets a better chip in there phones.

Reactions: Tig Bitties
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.