Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I use it with three others. Which is a shame, cause it's really good.
They just need to get their act together and merge Allo with Messenger & Hangouts and give us 1 messaging App to rule them all.

Actually I'd love an App that could conglomerate all the messaging apps on your phone into one location and allow us to access our communications and receive notifications universally. (i want this on both Android & iOS but it will never happen, just like iMessage on Android will never happen).

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Just a useless case and it's damn ugly
[doublepost=1491534293][/doublepost]
Well Bill Bixby was a white American guy lol.
[doublepost=1491534998][/doublepost]
Yeah, yeah. The next one always seems to be the perfect aspect. Want a bigger phone,....Get a Note. I don't want a bigger phone every year. I have my sweet spot and now they made it bigger and I can only get the edge now that I don't really want.

I don't like bigger phones. I bought a Note 5 and promptly returned it because it was too wide for me. That's why I'm thrilled with the size of the S8. I can now have more room on the screen without sacrificing comfort in the hand. A wider screen doesn't really provide any benefit. The additional height allows more room for multitasking, seeing more emails at once, and seeing more of a webpage at once. And obviously Samsung and LG recognize this as well and that's why they're doing it. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the de facto standard for phones.

The width of a phone (and shape of sides) is what makes a phone feel larger or smaller when holding it. I currently have an iPhone 7. I've already received my S8 case and am impressed with the size and feel in hand when compared to my iPhone 7.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Having once owned galaxy S7 edge, protecting it is pretty easy. Just buy a case. I personally use the official clear cover and that protected it just fine but kept its slim look
Sorry about the slight OT, but I also had that official clear cover with my S7 Edge, and the the screen cracked with the first (and so far the only) drop. To increase chances of survival, I'd recommend a more heavy-duty case.

Reactions: 5105973

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I don't like bigger phones. I bought a Note 5 and promptly returned it because it was too wide for me. That's why I'm thrilled with the size of the S8. I can now have more room on the screen without sacrificing comfort in the hand. A wider screen doesn't really provide any benefit. The additional height allows more room for multitasking, seeing more emails at once, and seeing more of a webpage at once. And obviously Samsung and LG recognize this as well and that's why they're doing it. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the de facto standard for phones.

The width of a phone (and shape of sides) is what makes a phone feel larger or smaller when holding it. I currently have an iPhone 7. I've already received my S8 case and am impressed with the size and feel in hand when compared to my iPhone 7.

When I see it on video and photos, the screen does look thin. But when I seen it in person and held it, the word "thin" didn't even cross my mind. I think for the most part, it's an optical illusion when viewed on the internet, because of the design. But in real life it's only the phone itself that looks sleek, the screen's width doesn't scream thin.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I use it with three others. Which is a shame, cause it's really good.

They just need to get their act together and merge Allo with Messenger & Hangouts and give us 1 messaging App to rule them all.

Actually I'd love an App that could conglomerate all the messaging apps on your phone into one location and allow us to access our communications and receive notifications universally. (i want this on both Android & iOS but it will never happen, just like iMessage on Android will never happen).

Absolutely. Allo is awesome. It is what the default Google Messenger should be. But you can't use your own phone number with it. What the heck Google? I'm hoping that Allo's experimental rollout this past year has helped Google work out the kinks so that they can offer it as the default messaging app (with proper SMS support) with Android O.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Absolutely. Allo is awesome. It is what the default Google Messenger should be. But you can't use your own phone number with it. What the heck Google? I'm hoping that Allo's experimental rollout this past year has helped Google work out the kinks so that they can offer it as the default messaging app (with proper SMS support) with Android O.

It works with your phone number, but it's limited to one device. Every time I switch phones, I have to reactivate it on that phone with my number, then the it gets deactivated on the other phone. They REALLY NEED to make it like iMessage.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
When I see it on video and photos, the screen does look thin. But when I seen it in person and held it, the word "thin" didn't even cross my mind. I think for the most part, it's an optical illusion when viewed on the internet, because of the design. But in real life it's only the phone itself that looks sleek, the screen's width doesn't scream thin.

It's narrower than the S7 and only 1mm wider than iPhone 7.

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
I have S8 on pre order from EE, I have iPhone and Apple Watch at the moment but would like to try the Gear 3, problem is no one at all has it on display near me. I was tempted to buy online from Very -problem is they are saying once 'installed' I cant return. I mentioned EU law regarding distance selling and she just repeated that she isn't aware of that! Why is this so hard lol

AppleMichael

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
I have S8 on pre order from EE, I have iPhone and Apple Watch at the moment but would like to try the Gear 3, problem is no one at all has it on display near me. I was tempted to buy online from Very -problem is they are saying once 'installed' I cant return. I mentioned EU law regarding distance selling and she just repeated that she isn't aware of that! Why is this so hard lol

Order it from somewhere like John Lewis they wont have an issue returning it

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Thinking on screen protectors actually, I've kind of got used to using them and have completely changed my perception of them being a bit pointless. I now swear by them.

But with the curve, I imagine it might be a little tricky.
Our Samsung rep at work always said (about the S7e) that the non-glass protectors were the better ones over the tempered glass variants.

He said because it was gorilla glass 5(?) then the screen was strong enough and the plasticy protectors were easier to fit.

I have remained dubious over that info for some time, truth be told. If I can find a glass protector I will pick one up.

I've already put my clear hard back case to one side in the back at CPW to pick up on Saturday when I do my pre-order. :p
Now to see if I can live with my Lumia 950 for 2 weeks... :O

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The LG V30 should release during the summer, like around June or early July.

Sadly LG do not seem interested in launching their V series in Europe :( Heck we still don't have the G6 yet ....
[doublepost=1491563571][/doublepost]
Thinking on screen protectors actually, I've kind of got used to using them and have completely changed my perception of them being a bit pointless. I now swear by them.

But with the curve, I imagine it might be a little tricky.
Our Samsung rep at work always said (about the S7e) that the non-glass protectors were the better ones over the tempered glass variants.

He said because it was gorilla glass 5(?) then the screen was strong enough and the plasticy protectors were easier to fit.

I have remained dubious over that info for some time, truth be told. If I can find a glass protector I will pick one up.

I've already put my clear hard back case to one side in the back at CPW to pick up on Saturday when I do my pre-order. :p
Now to see if I can live with my Lumia 950 for 2 weeks... :O

The problem with the glass ones is that they either don't fully fit the curved display and leave the curved parts exposed which is just awful, or the adhesive is actually only on the top and bottom and side edges of the full screen ones which leaves a small gap between glass screen and surface of the protector, and often these type have the little dots aligned in a square (to aid capacitivity) and in direct sunlight it makes your screen look like poo.

The plastic ones are ok, but prone to lifting at the edges and can scratch easily. The self healing type TPU ones (Zagg, Screen Armour) have a spongey rubberised texture that frankly feels horrible and they also do have a measure of degradation to the screen clarity.

With all of them, the issue of things like Gear VR - is it can cause any of them to lift away from the screen.

None I've found so far actually provide the same measure of cover and clarity / peace of mind that a screen protector on a flat screened device provides.

Its the price to pay for a gorgeous edge display I guess, and for most folks it likely wouldn't be too much of an issue - but for some of us it is a nightmare maintenance wise and makes you very self conscious / nervous when using device outdoors.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Trust me I am. I'm on the beach 3 times a day, sand gets everywhere both in my car and pockets without any intent. (Heck my car looks like a sand pit by the end of each week)

It's why I like the security of screen protectors and it's how I know about the perils of flip cases :( to my own chagrin.

I'm waiting to see the reviews of the S8 official screen protector. Sadly third party ones are normally terrible on every edge device I've owned so far, either they don't fully adhere or the tpu ones like Zagg have a horrid spongy texture and begin curling and lifting if you utilise Gear VR.

TBH the problem looking after an edge device is what made me think of giving the LG G6 a try - and then they went and made it subpar & expensive in Europe.

I never got the opportunity to try the Note 7 official Samsung screen protector despite spending €35 and it sitting in my cupboard :( so can not attest to its quality.
I've lived in middle east for over 15 years and have had sand in about every orifice you can think of :D

I agree screen protectors are a flop on curved screens yet mandatory if you have a flip case, I'm on my forth variant on my S7 and at >$30 a go it's not cheap

Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

Jbee94

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
I must admit I nearly bit the bullet today and pre-ordered .... I'm fighting myself on this one

So close to submitting that order. Why do I do this EVERY and I mean EVERY time.

I am the exact same, then when I receive the phone I wonder why I wanted it so much in the first place and start thinking I should have stuck to my previous phone :rolleyes: but yet do it again and again haha

Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.