Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I was scrolling that page wondering what the joke was.

Then I saw this...

That really is some monumental level of weird.

Seriously, how is that a case? Is it two plastic bits on the top and bottom?

They probably had some engineer who didn't have any work so they said, go make a unique case, have fun! This is the fruits of his labor.

Jbee94

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
I have an iPhone 7+ 128GB matte black

I am considering getting the s8 but have never had an android phone before always iphone.

I am not sure what to do as the S8 looks amazing but I wary that I might get it then regret it and want to go back to iPhone.

Is anyone else planning on switching ?

Reactions: noobinator

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I am considering getting the s8 but have never had an android phone before always iphone.

I am not sure what to do as the S8 looks amazing but I wary that I might get it then regret it and want to go back to iPhone.

I would at least give it a try if you are willing to adjust to the differences.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013

Do you rely on FaceTime and iMessage? I think it all depends on how invested you are in Apple. The biggest problem for me personally is that I rely on core Apple features. I think the phone looks amazing but switching would be pretty painful for me at this point

Reactions: Jbee94

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

If you are unsure, and are not in a position to be able to use both devices for a while to decide (if the purchase of the S8 requires immediate sale of the 7) then hold back until you can at least get some time in a store with the devices. Whilst still not ideal to judge using store devices, its still better than nothing.

If you can afford to buy one and still have access to both whilst transitioning, you can decide then if it suits your needs and sell or return whichever. No-one here will be able to tell you what you will prefer in actual daily use as its all personal and subjective.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

Personally I think you will regret it, especially if this is your 1st android phone. It takes weeks to get used to it and you will be annoyed by the amount of bloat on it aswell.

Reactions: Treble and Jbee94

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I disagree, but if Samsung won't return to a less taller display for the S9, I will just simply remove it from my list of potential phones.

As I said before, one-handed useability ranks in the first or second spot of my must-haves with my phone. I will not sacrifice that.
Well, it seems most will be switching to the new aspect ratio, so your going to have to get used to it. Even the next iPhone is going to switch.

I think it feels tall because of the top and bottom bezels, if we remove those the S8 actually a little shorter than the iPhone 7.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well, it seems most will be switching to the new aspect ratio, so your going to have to get used to it. Even the next iPhone is going to switch.

I think it feels tall because of the top and bottom bezels, if we remove those the S8 actually a little shorter than the iPhone 7.

Well, technically I don't think it will though, if the rumored 'functional' area persists permanently. The overall 'display' ratio, including the functional area will mimic these proportions but I'd wager the usable area will be 16:9..requires no resolution changes on any iOS phone then.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Depends on how many apple products you have to know how much you feel you will regret it. Problem is you need more than a few weeks to get used to android.

Jbee94

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
If you are unsure, and are not in a position to be able to use both devices for a while to decide (if the purchase of the S8 requires immediate sale of the 7) then hold back until you can at least get some time in a store with the devices. Whilst still not ideal to judge using store devices, its still better than nothing.

If you can afford to buy one and still have access to both whilst transitioning, you can decide then if it suits your needs and sell or return whichever. No-one here will be able to tell you what you will prefer in actual daily use as its all personal and subjective.

Thanks I will go into the store and have a look first !

Reactions: MRU

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I disagree, but if Samsung won't return to a less taller display for the S9, I will just simply remove it from my list of potential phones.

As I said before, one-handed useability ranks in the first or second spot of my must-haves with my phone. I will not sacrifice that.
Your list must already be short and will probably be shorter trying to stay in the sub 5" bracket

BOL with that one in the future

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

I think your only option is to stop using a phone altogether.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I agree with the dex criticism. I don't really understand the benefit. It requires more hardware to really use it and then on top of that the functionality seems limited.

Some have posted about airports and/or libraries as a potential benefit but again I don't see it. What if these stations are all full when you're there? You then have to wait to use these docking stations vs just using your own laptop. And then there's a security aspect as well if using your own laptop in front of you vs being at a open location with a big monitor showing your content.

I thought I saw a patent showing a phone being placed inside a laptop. I guess I could see that as a feature but again you don't want to lose any abilities from your phone while it's being docked.
DeX is all about options, it remains to be seen how widely it gets used or if apps mature but Samsung has given us a choice which is the important thing and its up to the individual to get the most from this.

If it does not suit your workflow or lifestyle that's fine but others will even if its only for an entertainment
[doublepost=1491507059][/doublepost]

If your Happy with your IPhone then don't else if it's more a curiosity then get a trial or a loaner before committing $

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, technically I don't think it will though, if the rumored 'functional' area persists permanently. The overall 'display' ratio, including the functional area will mimic these proportions but I'd wager the usable area will be 16:9..requires no resolution changes on any iOS phone then.
Yeah, but if reaching the top of the screen is his gripe, the only option will be the 7S or SE, and the 7S won't be the flagship anymore, so if he wants to stick with flagships he's out of luck.

I really think the iPhone 8 might be the perfect form factor for if the rumors are true, that it sticks to the same footprint of the 4.7 iPhone but all screen, even if only 5.1-5.2 is usable because of the touch bar.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ha, you and I are the same kind of lefty!
I do exactly the same. I'm left handed but it is unnatural for me to scroll and use my phone left handed?!

Which is odd thinking on it, as everything else with my right hand feels completely unnatural! (No jokes needed!)
Yeah i know why .... It frees up the left hand for other things [wink wink nudge nudge] lol

Reactions: Aneres11

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
they have a shag carpet case! lol :D:p
If that's not fuzzy enough...this was on Amazon and claims to be for the S8 despite not having a cutout for the fps, from China with love....

IMG_0317.JPG
[doublepost=1491514718][/doublepost]
I was scrolling that page wondering what the joke was.

Then I saw this...

076cb0b15d3e9b75ac9bda2334f613b1.jpg

That really is some monumental level of weird.

Seriously, how is that a case? Is it two plastic bits on the top and bottom?
Yes, it's a bikini for the phone. I guess it's for people who want corner drop protection but still want to see their pretty case sort of naked. The black one doesn't look too horrific, so maybe if they'd made top and bottom pieces match and matched them to the colors of the phones, it would look less awkward.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Yeah, but if reaching the top of the screen is his gripe, the only option will be the 7S or SE, and the 7S won't be the flagship anymore, so if he wants to stick with flagships he's out of luck.

I really think the iPhone 8 might be the perfect form factor for if the rumors are true, that it sticks to the same footprint of the 4.7 iPhone but all screen, even if only 5.1-5.2 is usable because of the touch bar.

This is all conjecture at this point but this annoys me for some reason. Removing the home button is fine but if you're just going to do so at a cost of screen real estate, I'm not sure I totally see the point. I guess I'll have to wait to see if/how it's implemented.

Reactions: tbayrgs

scrumpyjack

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2016

Personally I'm slightly disappointed. Sure the 'unboxing' thing is great but it's still running Android and even worse TouchWiz. From a practical standpoint I'm not sure how I'd protect that curved screen either. If it's iPhone 7 or S8, I'f go for the S8. But I'd much rather wait for the iPhone 8.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Personally I'm slightly disappointed. Sure the 'unboxing' thing is great but it's still running Android and even worse TouchWiz. From a practical standpoint I'm not sure how I'd protect that curved screen either. If it's iPhone 7 or S8, I'f go for the S8. But I'd much rather wait for the iPhone 8.

Having once owned galaxy S7 edge, protecting it is pretty easy. Just buy a case. I personally use the official clear cover and that protected it just fine but kept its slim look

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Having once owned galaxy S7 edge, protecting it is pretty easy. Just buy a case. I personally use the official clear cover and that protected it just fine but kept its slim look
Yeah it's not as simple as that and it can depend very much on where you live and the elements it can potentially be exposed to.

For example if you live in a coastal / beach area and exposed to sand regularly, you will need a screen protector. Screen protectors are hit and sadly mostly a miss with edge devices.

Likewise even if you use an official flip case to circumvent the lack a or crappy quality of edge screen protectors, and if as I say you are potentially exposed to sand and grit; a flip case would actually increase the chances of getting a scratch from the friction and rubbing of sand or grit as it inevitably manages to get between the screen and the front of the flip case.

It can make using your device a bit of a constant concern, which then sadly takes much away from the enjoyment of having the edge display device, if you constantly feel 'under threat'.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
For those of you with an S7 or S7 edge, are you making the jump to the 8 or 8+? My S7 edge is my first device and it's been smooth sailing since I got it about a year ago.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I would be super careful with any device around sand.
I so badly want to make a dirty joke right now...anyway...I use my iPhone SE right out on the beach a lot. I use one of these and it worked surprisingly well and videos turned out just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-A...1521953&sr=8-8&keywords=waterproof+phone+case

I'm not sure that's the exact brand I have but it looks like it. I wouldn't trust it underwater no matter what, but it's kept the sand out great!

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I would be super careful with any device around sand.

Trust me I am. I'm on the beach 3 times a day, sand gets everywhere both in my car and pockets without any intent. (Heck my car looks like a sand pit by the end of each week)

It's why I like the security of screen protectors and it's how I know about the perils of flip cases :( to my own chagrin.

I'm waiting to see the reviews of the S8 official screen protector. Sadly third party ones are normally terrible on every edge device I've owned so far, either they don't fully adhere or the tpu ones like Zagg have a horrid spongy texture and begin curling and lifting if you utilise Gear VR.

TBH the problem looking after an edge device is what made me think of giving the LG G6 a try - and then they went and made it subpar & expensive in Europe.

I never got the opportunity to try the Note 7 official Samsung screen protector despite spending €35 and it sitting in my cupboard :( so can not attest to its quality.

Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Disgusting. There needs to be less men on this forum and more women. The things male users on this forum post sometimes are so gross. Please stop.
You implied more here than there was. You got offended and then turned the whole conversation into a sexist rant of your own.
This statement is gender neutral. It could be allied to all genders...man, woman, gay man or woman or trans-gender
It frees up the left hand for other things [wink wink nudge nudge]

You took it and applied your own assumptions and bias to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.