Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Does Bixby actually talk or is it just on screen text? I feel if Bixby does talk it (he?) should have a British Accent that is not able to be changed.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Does Bixby actually talk or is it just on screen text? I feel if Bixby does talk it (he?) should have a British Accent that is not able to be changed.
oh yeah...I agree wholeheartedly....with a name like Bixby.......

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yeah looks like it, just need an app - no need to root.

I'd probably just make it a camera button.
Thanks. I think a camera button would be more useful.
[doublepost=1491487794][/doublepost]
Why don't nowhere in the uk have the S8 demos first Currys and now CPW

Not going town just to try and find somewhere that does ugh

I only want to have a look lol
They have them in my local currys.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Finally found s store with an S8 to get hands on today. I've reserved comment until now.

I'm a former Note series and S6/e user. Some of this is obviously subjective.

The good
+ Appearance (striking and looks the part)
+ TW improvements (cleaner look but still dupe apps galore)
+ Limited bezels (is the top larger than the bottom on the S8?)
+ No logo on the front (finally!)
+ Camera (Always a Sammy strong point)
+ Headphone jack (love my AirPods but like the option)

The less good
- Curved edges (false touches, ease of damage)
- Offset finger scanner (as a lefty this is awkward to reach)
- Slow to iris unlock
- Build materials (glass...questionable durability)
- Bixby (dupe app; remap that button)
- Speaker (still firing down in a 2017 flagship?)
- Sneaky QHD marketing then running it at 1080 (Apple often take heat for still going with 1080)

Unfortunately the failure to get the finger scanner under the screen resulting in it being slapped off centre at the rear last minute is a total killer. It's awful to reach use as a left handed person.

Which leads to the iris unlock. It's too slow. The assistant tried his best to convince/distract me towards the iris technology when I was focused on simplicity and speed to unlock compared to my 7+ and OP3.

I prefer flat edges and metal phones for durability (yes I'd give up wireless charging) but that's a personal preference. Watch reddit on day one for the inevitable shattered back/sides/screen pics.

The slimmer design does help avoid some ghost touches as you wrap your hands around the device. However, I'm not sold on the aspect ratio. Issues reaching the top of the screen and black bars in videos are back.

I feel like the S9 (and Note 8?) will be the real phone that delivers on user experience. I left feeling that the redesign compromised functionality too much.

Now if the Note 8 sorts out the finger scanner....

My sentiments also...the S9 will be more interesting, provided Samsung went back to a shorter display. (This new one is too long IMO.)

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
My sentiments also...the S9 will be more interesting, provided Samsung went back to a shorter display. (This new one is too long IMO.)

But that would be removing functionality. The taller display gives more room for displaying text and to display multiple apps at same time. This aspect ratio is perfect for a phone.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Just listened to the Android Central podcast covering the S8 event. Overall, while they said the phone is a pretty remarkable piece of tech and looks to be a terrific phone, they were not kind in regards to a few keys specifics--the fingerprint sensor, Bixby, and DeX.

The criticisms of the FP sensor were nothing new and don't need further rehashing--it wasn't liked by anyone.

Bixby was also considered another typical Samsung move of trying to replicate something Google already provides. What I wasn't entirely aware of was that its integration is pretty limited--something like 12 apps from Samsung or their partners (they mentioned CNN, Flipboard, a couple others)--and only for Korea and the US. Final judgement would obviously be reserved for later after some real world usage but they weren't optimistic based on what they saw so far or were told.

Now, save for a little love from Mr. Mobile, they tore DeX apart. First, what wasn't explained very clearly in the demos was that DeX compatible apps are quite limited---similar to Bixby, only Samsung apps and a few partners (i.e. MS Office apps) will offer the unique 'desktop' experience. When pressed, Samsung wouldn't go into any detail about using other apps and that basically, these other apps will likely provide a phone size window experience mimicing exactly what you'd get on your phone. And second, nobody could see a use case that would applicable or useful to any but very niche circumstances--i.e. why would you drag along the DeX, a keyboard, a mouse, and HDMI cable they will pretty much limit you to use on a large screen TV vs. a laptop which will offer great functionality, take up less or equal space in your bag, and can be used anywhere. DeX would only be useful if it was ubiquitous--anywhere you go you'd be able to drop your phone in a dock that was already there and everywhere you went---and that's not going to happen. Nobody saw anything compelling with this implementation vs. the number of other attempts already done in the past.

Anyways, was an interesting listen and unlike some of the Apple focused podcasts I listen to, was nice to hear 'Android fans' offer honest and quite pointed criticism instead of an hour of dancing around potentional shortcomings, or ignoring them completely to just fawn over the new device. And again, it wasn't an hour of bashing the S8---quite the opposite as they all said it looks like amazing hardware and overall, a terrifc phone.

Reactions: 5105973

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
In all fairness, a lot of the other cases look really good. I really like the clear covers. Also, with the fingerprint sensor, I actually think it's going to be bashed so much to the point where we begin to feel sorry for it and actually enjoy it. LOL

Reactions: 5105973

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
But that would be removing functionality. The taller display gives more room for displaying text and to display multiple apps at same time. This aspect ratio is perfect for a phone.

I disagree, but if Samsung won't return to a less taller display for the S9, I will just simply remove it from my list of potential phones.

As I said before, one-handed useability ranks in the first or second spot of my must-haves with my phone. I will not sacrifice that.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Just listened to the Android Central podcast covering the S8 event. Overall, while they said the phone is a pretty remarkable piece of tech and looks to be a terrific phone, they were not kind in regards to a few keys specifics--the fingerprint sensor, Bixby, and DeX.

The criticisms of the FP sensor were nothing new and don't need further rehashing--it wasn't liked by anyone.

Bixby was also considered another typical Samsung move of trying to replicate something Google already provides. What I wasn't entirely aware of was that its integration is pretty limited--something like 12 apps from Samsung or their partners (they mentioned CNN, Flipboard, a couple others)--and only for Korea and the US. Final judgement would obviously be reserved for later after some real world usage but they weren't optimistic based on what they saw so far or were told.

Now, save for a little love from Mr. Mobile, they tore DeX apart. First, what wasn't explained very clearly in the demos was that DeX compatible apps are quite limited---similar to Bixby, only Samsung apps and a few partners (i.e. MS Office apps) will offer the unique 'desktop' experience. When pressed, Samsung wouldn't go into any detail about using other apps and that basically, these other apps will likely provide a phone size window experience mimicing exactly what you'd get on your phone. And second, nobody could see a use case that would applicable or useful to any but very niche circumstances--i.e. why would you drag along the DeX, a keyboard, a mouse, and HDMI cable they will pretty much limit you to use on a large screen TV vs. a laptop which will offer great functionality, take up less or equal space in your bag, and can be used anywhere. DeX would only be useful if it was ubiquitous--anywhere you go you'd be able to drop your phone in a dock that was already there and everywhere you went---and that's not going to happen. Nobody saw anything compelling with this implementation vs. the number of other attempts already done in the past.

Anyways, was an interesting listen and unlike some of the Apple focused podcasts I listen to, was nice to hear 'Android fans' offer honest and quite pointed criticism instead of an hour of dancing around potentional shortcomings, or ignoring them completely to just fawn over the new device. And again, it wasn't an hour of bashing the S8---quite the opposite as they all said it looks like amazing hardware and overall, a terrifc phone.

I agree about the FPS location. You can tell it was an afterthought..... they really wanted the under screen one but ran out of time. Should be on the Note 8 though.
I wish Samsung would let us delete all duplicate apps.

Reactions: 5105973 and tbayrgs

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
In all fairness, a lot of the other cases look really good. I really like the clear covers. Also, with the fingerprint sensor, I actually think it's going to be bashed so much to the point where we begin to feel sorry for it and actually enjoy it. LOL

they have a shag carpet case! lol :D:p

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-6_10-18-34.png
    upload_2017-4-6_10-18-34.png
    498.6 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: Truefan31

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

I agree with the dex criticism. I don't really understand the benefit. It requires more hardware to really use it and then on top of that the functionality seems limited.

Some have posted about airports and/or libraries as a potential benefit but again I don't see it. What if these stations are all full when you're there? You then have to wait to use these docking stations vs just using your own laptop. And then there's a security aspect as well if using your own laptop in front of you vs being at a open location with a big monitor showing your content.

I thought I saw a patent showing a phone being placed inside a laptop. I guess I could see that as a feature but again you don't want to lose any abilities from your phone while it's being docked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.