Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Something I forgot to mention, the Bixby button seemed too easy to press by accident, not because of placement, but because the button itself it so much softer than the average button. I would say it takes twice the force to press the volume or power buttons. It's very noticeable.

Reactions: 5105973

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'm surprised some people feel the s8 is too narrow. I'm thrilled it's smaller than the S7E. Firstly for one handed use, but also because the narrower form factor, I believe, aids the prevention of false palm touches.

It's not the physical size/narrowness I didn't like, it was the aspect ratio. Either make it wider with a 16:9 aspect ratio, or keep the same width but make it shorter. Making it wider would be a larger phone, but then we would have a more functional screen. Making it shorter would make it a smaller phone all around. IMO Samsung's screen sizes are larger, but in large part because they just stretched the phone out.

But it's all just preference, and it's not that bad at all. I just personally like more usable screen and the aspect ratio weighs in heavily on my personal definition of usable (which is different for everyone).
[doublepost=1491430006][/doublepost]
So ... I'm disappointed in me. Just preordered the 8 Plus in Midnight Black.

Why can't I help myself?

Did you actually think you could escape a new phone?!?!? Muahahahaha /evil laugh
[doublepost=1491430082][/doublepost]
It would make perfect sense to just let people re-map it. Then it could be an advantage to have that button depending on what people want it for. Camera shutter, a quick shortcut to dial a contact, etc.

I'd love to make it a home button. I wasn't particularly impressed with the responsiveness of the software home button and am probably one of the few who will miss a hardware one. I'd even be happy with the fake home button on the iPhone.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I think they did an excellent job with the home button.

We can agree to disagree =) I found it difficult to find, especially one handed, and difficult to gauge the pressure needed to activate it. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but it didn't inspire confidence. It's also a looooong way down with the phones being as tall as they are. But at least my hands will get stronger shimmying up to the fp sensor, then down to the home button thousands of times per day.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
We can agree to disagree =) I found it difficult to find, especially one handed, and difficult to gauge the pressure needed to activate it. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but it didn't inspire confidence. It's also a looooong way down with the phones being as tall as they are. But at least my hands will get stronger shimmying up to the fp sensor, then down to the home button thousands of times per day.

For me, gauging the pressure wasn't an issue. It felt natural to me.

I can understand the fact of not being able to find it instantly if your not looking at it. I had no issues finding it while looking at the device, even when the onscreen buttons are hidden.

I'll be using the Iris scanner most of the time.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
bb97582dd5848bec05ed14462c5bccf9.jpg

T-Mobile better get their act together and match the deals AT&T and US Cellular offer.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Just got my first hands on time with both models at Best Buy. My initial impressions...

What I liked:

- As is nearly universally stated, it's a very good looking phone, easily Samsung's best design. Moving to an all black front is so much nicer and long overdue. The colors all seem fine but black was easily my favorite

- Gorgeous display. I roll my eyes at how the demos are always set to full brightness adaptive mode but still terrific at 'regular everyday' settings.

- Home button. I also found it an overall nice experience--no trouble hitting it even when it's hidden and haptic feedback was very much like that on the iPhone. And hallelujah--soft keys can be in the layout Google intended. ;)

What I didn't like so much:

- Hate the location of the Bixby button---I accidentally pressed it the very first time I picked up the phone and probably another half dozen times afterward. Considering most people are right handed and their fingers naturally wrap around the phone on the left side, this design decision is perplexing.

- While the edges are far less dramatic than past models, still don't like 'em. And along those lines, I don't like the thinner frame that results from having the symetrical curves on front and back--just not as comfortable to hold as any of the other phones I've used.

- Initially not a fan of the display proportions. It's a long reach to the top half of the phone and if you reposition your hand further up the back to help accommodate, it's a long reach to the buttons at the bottom. And using the phone in landscape is just not enjoyable as the display feels super squished.

- And last but not least, the god awful fingerprint scanner. I think those of you commenting that it's not that bad or that you'll get used to it are trying super hard to convince yourself otherwise but I think it's easily the worse implementation of any modern smartphone--not even close. It's clumsy at best on the S8 and a two handed operation on the S8+..If you don't smear your camera lens on the way there. The thin edge around it feels nearly indistinguishable from the edge of the camera.

It's fine if the fingerprint sensor isn't important to you but if you place any value in having it, this implementation just plain sucks. It would drive me nuts far more than the enjoyment I'd from having such an expansive display.

I won't comment on the software at all as Best Buy makes getting around the retail demo mode a serious pain in the ass.

I can see how fans of Samsung phones find this a very nice evolution. If I knew nothing going in and there was no branding, it's quite clear it's a Samsung phone...Just has the feel, the DNA of Samsung devices. Personally, I didn't come away persuaded to try a Samsung phone again but that's likely far more on me than Samsung.

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, just found out I'm now going to get HBO for free because I'm on the at&t unlimited plan.

I am trying to see if T-Mobile can match either deal. They claim to be "competitive pricing wise." However, they're not offering any good deals. It's sad because there are probably a bunch of customers who are willing to give up their older phones and commit to T-Mobile long term on a multi-year EIP plan because they offer the best rates and service amongst the Big 3 phone companies.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Agreed, When Samsung decided to make a hardware button it should have first guaranteed that in all the markets the device will retail, that Bixby button would do something.

If your in a country where Bixby regionally will not be supported either in part or fully then Samsung should indeed have allowed consumers the ability to have that button remapped.

Otherwise they are basically supplying a device to those consumers with what can only be described as a glorified F'off button.

Looks like MKBHD agrees too

I already have Cortana running on my S7E, not that I use it other than to get all my missed calls, sms and other notifications on my laptop.

Maybe if the Bixby button could be re-mapped I may use Cortana more or will/has Bixby have an equivalent laptop part ?

Reactions: MRU

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Just got my first hands on time with both models at Best Buy. My initial impressions...

What I liked:

- As is nearly universally stated, it's a very good looking phone, easily Samsung's best design. Moving to an all black front is so much nicer and long overdue. The colors all seem fine but black was easily my favorite

- Gorgeous display. I roll my eyes at how the demos are always set to full brightness adaptive mode but still terrific at 'regular everyday' settings.

- Home button. I also found it an overall nice experience--no trouble hitting it even when it's hidden and haptic feedback was very much like that on the iPhone. And hallelujah--soft keys can be in the layout Google intended. ;)

What I didn't like so much:

- Hate the location of the Bixby button---I accidentally pressed it the very first time I picked up the phone and probably another half dozen times afterward. Considering most people are right handed and their fingers naturally wrap around the phone on the left side, this design decision is perplexing.

- While the edges are far less dramatic than past models, still don't like 'em. And along those lines, I don't like the thinner frame that results from having the symetrical curves on front and back--just not as comfortable to hold as any of the other phones I've used.

- Initially not a fan of the display proportions. It's a long reach to the top half of the phone and if you reposition your hand further up the back to help accommodate, it's a long reach to the buttons at the bottom. And using the phone in landscape is just not enjoyable as the display feels super squished.

- And last but not least, the god awful fingerprint scanner. I think those of you commenting that it's not that bad or that you'll get used to it are trying super hard to convince yourself otherwise but I think it's easily the worse implementation of any modern smartphone--not even close. It's clumsy at best on the S8 and a two handed operation on the S8+..If you don't smear your camera lens on the way there. The thin edge around it feels nearly indistinguishable from the edge of the camera.

It's fine if the fingerprint sensor isn't important to you but if you place any value in having it, this implementation just plain sucks. It would drive me nuts far more than the enjoyment I'd from having such an expansive display.

I won't comment on the software at all as Best Buy makes getting around the retail demo mode a serious pain in the ass.

I can see how fans of Samsung phones find this a very nice evolution. If I knew nothing going in and there was no branding, it's quite clear it's a Samsung phone...Just has the feel, the DNA of Samsung devices. Personally, I didn't come away persuaded to try a Samsung phone again but that's likely far more on me than Samsung.

Yeah I think most reviewers have basically echoed the overall impression. If you like the galaxy phones before the s8 will appeal to you. It is what it is, a galaxy phone. But they aren't big on bixby although it's still early. But the hardware button is odd, as well as the terrible placement of the fp scanner. It's hard to justify the position, off center and next to the camera lens. It invites smudges. If you have to use two hands to use it like the Samsung promo illustrated then it's ill conceived. Seemingly another issue of Samsung rushing to just put it somewhere, anywhere on the phone just to say it's there. I understand the face unlock is a convenience but it really shouldn't be compromised by a mere photo either.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

You can just tap it. It's a software key. You don't have to apply any pressure. Just like the back and app switcher buttons.

Last edited:

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
S8 full review:

Not overly familiar with the reviewer, and I either missed or he didn't say how long he's had the device for. I wouldn't call it an in depth review but hey...It's something! ;)

Reactions: jamezr and HiDEF

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Same reviewer as above has a speed test with the pixel. It seems that Samsung ram management has improved.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Same reviewer as above has a speed test with the pixel. It seems that Samsung ram management has improved.

Eh. He's comparing a brand spanking new phone against something that looks like his daily driver over the last few months. And the results are mostly negligible. I think the video makes the Pixel look more impressive as a result.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
In both of these videos, the reviewer is using a unit that doesn't have final software, so a lot can change between now and when the device is available to the public. I'd take the opinions here with a grain of salt (an expression I don't think I've ever fully understood).

Reactions: JaySoul

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
You can just tap it. It's a software key. You don't have to apply any pressure. Just like the back and app switcher buttons.

You have to apply pressure if the nav bar is hidden. Or at least that's how the demo I used worked. I actually thought it was neat and would like it if it was more consistent. Once again maybe something that would be more consistent if I used it every day. But I thought the same about 3D Touch, but that continues to be very inconsistent even with practiced use.

Not a huge deal though, and not something that would keep me from buying it. But I still hope for a better implementation on the note 8.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
@LIVEFRMNYC @spinedoc77

Ah did not know that!

Interesting it's different from the pixel. Typically when the home button is hidden on the pixel, you just touch the screen and it slides back up.

Very interesting method of using the pressure sensitivity function.

Reactions: spinedoc77

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Finally found s store with an S8 to get hands on today. I've reserved comment until now.

I'm a former Note series and S6/e user. Some of this is obviously subjective.

The good
+ Appearance (striking and looks the part)
+ TW improvements (cleaner look but still dupe apps galore)
+ Limited bezels (is the top larger than the bottom on the S8?)
+ No logo on the front (finally!)
+ Camera (Always a Sammy strong point)
+ Headphone jack (love my AirPods but like the option)

The less good
- Curved edges (false touches, ease of damage)
- Offset finger scanner (as a lefty this is awkward to reach)
- Slow to iris unlock
- Build materials (glass...questionable durability)
- Bixby (dupe app; remap that button)
- Speaker (still firing down in a 2017 flagship?)
- Sneaky QHD marketing then running it at 1080 (Apple often take heat for still going with 1080)

Unfortunately the failure to get the finger scanner under the screen resulting in it being slapped off centre at the rear last minute is a total killer. It's awful to reach use as a left handed person.

Which leads to the iris unlock. It's too slow. The assistant tried his best to convince/distract me towards the iris technology when I was focused on simplicity and speed to unlock compared to my 7+ and OP3.

I prefer flat edges and metal phones for durability (yes I'd give up wireless charging) but that's a personal preference. Watch reddit on day one for the inevitable shattered back/sides/screen pics.

The slimmer design does help avoid some ghost touches as you wrap your hands around the device. However, I'm not sold on the aspect ratio. Issues reaching the top of the screen and black bars in videos are back.

I feel like the S9 (and Note 8?) will be the real phone that delivers on user experience. I left feeling that the redesign compromised functionality too much.

Now if the Note 8 sorts out the finger scanner....

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Finally found s store with an S8 to get hands on today. I've reserved comment until now.

I'm a former Note series and S6/e user. Some of this is obviously subjective.

The good
+ Appearance (striking and looks the part)
+ TW improvements (cleaner look but still dupe apps galore)
+ Limited bezels (is the top larger than the bottom on the S8?)
+ No logo on the front (finally!)
+ Camera (Always a Sammy strong point)
+ Headphone jack (love my AirPods but like the option)

The less good
- Curved edges (false touches, ease of damage)
- Offset finger scanner (as a lefty this is awkward to reach)
- Slow to iris unlock
- Build materials (glass...questionable durability)
- Bixby (dupe app; remap that button)
- Speaker (still firing down in a 2017 flagship?)
- Sneaky QHD marketing then running it at 1080 (Apple often take heat for still going with 1080)

Unfortunately the failure to get the finger scanner under the screen resulting in it being slapped off centre at the rear last minute is a total killer. It's awful to reach use as a left handed person.

Which leads to the iris unlock. It's too slow. The assistant tried his best to convince/distract me towards the iris technology when I was focused on simplicity and speed to unlock compared to my 7+ and OP3.

I prefer flat edges and metal phones for durability (yes I'd give up wireless charging) but that's a personal preference. Watch reddit on day one for the inevitable shattered back/sides/screen pics.

The slimmer design does help avoid some ghost touches as you wrap your hands around the device. However, I'm not sold on the aspect ratio. Issues reaching the top of the screen and black bars in videos are back.

I feel like the S9 (and Note 8?) will be the real phone that delivers on user experience. I left feeling that the redesign compromised functionality too much.

Now if the Note 8 sorts out the finger scanner....
If you prefer flat screens, then be prepared to never buy a flagship Samsung phone again.... Until foldable/rollable phones are released.
[doublepost=1491456156][/doublepost]
You know what'd make me a lot happier about my S8 purchase? Two weeks earlier shipping.
If you have a T-Mobile pre-order, anticipate 1 week early.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.