Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
My first day back in CPW after nearly 2 weeks off on holiday.
We have 3 models.

2 pluses in black and one normal sized in the grey.

Again, bolstered down so I can't actually hold the bloody thing, but the normal sized looks like the one for me, in grey.

The black is more photogenic, and will look lovely out of the box. But man that's gonna start looking grubby the minute it is picked up.

I also LOVE the uniqueness of this purpley grey colour.
I have also figured out how I'm going to get this too and I'm going to upgrade my second o2 line to get it. It's a fairly new line, but with my 30% off line rental through work perks, and o2's 25% discount on your buy out cost it makes it much cheaper than buying outright.

Then I can upgrade my tariff to a 10gb one and make that my main line. My current main line with EE has done noting but annoy and disappoint me since I moved to them from Vodafone for the 7 Plus. Super fast 4G or not, which doesn't even make a difference to my uses.

Now to just sell my iPhone 7 Plus to fund it and a preorder can hopefully go in on Saturday!

The phones do feel slim as in width of screen.
I'm not sure how that will play out, but I still cannot get over that the normal sized S8 has the same sized screen as my 7 Plus. :O
It is engineering goodness.

The only preorder offer we're getting is the phone 8 days early (20th) and a free wireless Samsung speaker worth £99.99.

I know for a fact waiting it out would be a much more sensible option as the S7 edge has seen some awesome freebies since I've worked at CPW. Free Gear VR and free Samsung fitness bands are the most recent.
But new tech equals impatient Aneres... :p

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
This will work for me! Better battery life than my Pixel Xl and S7 edge and close to my 7+

This is the Exynos 8895
View attachment 694866

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-battery-life-test-result-is-out_id92744

They need to provide a video of their testing to have any credibility since they're known to be biased. Here's a more trust worthy battery review showing in detail the test parameters and full video of results. They just need to add S8/S8+ results.

#1 S7 Edge
#2 OnePlus 3T
#3 S7
#4 Pixel
#5 Oneplus 3
#6 iPhone

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Well finally got to fondle one in person and I have mixed feelings. Firstly let me say it's an incredible work of art. It just feels sleek like NO other phone I've ever felt. It really feels like a single piece of glass and I had to struggle for my fingernail to find the seams between the glass and the frame. I was ashamed to put my ip7+ next to it, my god the ip7+ looks like something Alexander Graham Bell invented, seriously.

With that said, I am actually turned off by the form factor. Firstly I've never been a big fan of the curved screens. To me you lose that area of the screen functionally. The S8/+ seems like the screen curve is pretty minimal, but still present. But the worse thing to me is that screen ratio, it's way too tall and narrow. I feel as if Samsung cheated in stating their screen size. Heck I could say I have a 10" screen measured diagonally, but it's really something like 30:4 (no the math isn't correct). Don't get me wrong, the screen was absolutely incredible, but I just felt that functionally I was losing something between the wrong screen ratio and the curved edges. To contrast there was a Mate 9 within arms reach and that screen seemed huge compared to the S8+, just because it was flat and had a more palatable screen ratio, and specs show it's .3 smaller than the s8+. I think I'm going to really like the LG G6 because it is flat, although the screen ratio isn't much better than the S8/+, just a bit, but enough to be more functional.

My long term hope is that they do NOT keep that screen ratio for the Note 8. I hope the Note 8 is more of a true phablet. I'm willing to accept the curved screen, as I don't think Samsung is ever going back. But I really hope it has closer to a 16:9 ratio. It's like those new computer monitors which are very long and narrow, I hate them with a passion.

But still a beautiful phone, and I'm still considering it on some level. But I may wait and see what the Note 8 brings, how the G6 feels/looks in person and of course the ip8. My only concern with the ip8 is stepping down in screen size from the ip7+, although I'd opine the ip8 will have more of a "true" screen ratio even though it's smaller, so functionally it may be equal or better than at least the smaller S8. Still, I think Apple is a bit stupid for not releasing an ip8 plus, and am still very hesitant if the function bar is a good or bad thing.

Oh I'm also still miffed at the idiotic fp sensor placement. It's a lot easier to reach than I thought it would be, but I have large hands. But I still find it a very suboptimal position. I also really miss the hardware home button. It was a pain to hard press/long touch to get the home button to work. I hope Apple does a better job with it, so far the faux home button on the ip7+ was far more functional IMO. I think a better solution would be to make a side button the home button, maybe the Bixby button can be hacked for that.

Edit: Kind of not related, but wow the Gear S3 frontier is a seriously good looking watch. It's a shame it is saddled with Tizen though. Sigh, makes me realize why I hesitate to buy Samsung.

I might be a minority here but I actually like Tizen.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I might be a minority here but I actually like Tizen.

I like Tizen too, the only thing it needs is better app integration. Google Wear has good app integration and is catching up to Apple's Watch OS fast, but I can't stand the Wear OS itself. I haven't tried Wear 2.0 yet, but doubt it's a dramatic change.

Reactions: JaySoul

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I like Tizen too, the only thing it needs is better app integration. Google Wear has good app integration and is catching up to Apple's Watch OS fast, but I can't stand the Wear OS itself. I haven't tried Wear 2.0 yet, but doubt it's a dramatic change.

Agreed 100% on that one. As someone that used Google play music when I had the galaxy S7 edge, there is absolutely no integration other than music controls

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Whilst it's undeniable that Apple do make using some built in apps easy (with the exception of ITunes IMO) I find it hard to believe any youngster can't run rings around most of us when it comes to fiddling with any app. We have all seen parents give their phones over to their children to put something right :D

I can also understand in certain countries where IPhone are more prevalent (USA) that it's easy to have a group of friends or family that all have IPhone and use FaceTime but it simply breaks down once somebody is outside the group. I always find it odd that consumers would limit their choices just for such trivial options IMO given the overall complexity, potential and expense of these phones

Go to other countries where FaceTime is banned and not even bundled on your IPhone or other countries where people simply have much lower budgets and no data packages and you will see why other apps like Line or WhatsApp are so popular in Asia and elsewhere with FaceTime your likely to have few friends to chat with :)

I'm a pretty up to date tech guy my daughter or even nephews are not running rings around me in tech, not to say that day won't come. I can use multiple OS's on phones and PCs including Android and Linux (even Windows LOL). I typically buy 2 or 3 android phones a year just to root and flash ROMs. Sometimes I will even develop a ROM or modify APKS for people and put it on XDA but that's been a while. Right now I'm looking for my next android phone to play with not sure if its going to be a Samsung or a Pixel. With all that said I'm probably not the average parent. I get what your saying about other countries but here at least my family we don't facetime much its mostly text. Facetime is not used for texting.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Even when using my iPhone, I still get more Whatsapp messages. It's the only messenger that 95% of everybody I've dealt with has, worldwide on iOS and Android. Even the non techy elders in my family use it, without me even telling them about it. I wouldn't mind if it became a system app on both iOS and Android.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
just came back from a reseller who had some 8 and 8+'s on demo. Used the 8 (held the 8+ for a minute or 2. Really too big for me..its huge! don not even have small hands/fingers)

Orchid gray is my favorite color, though the all black model was beautiful as well.
The screen is absolutely gorgeous! I like the Cinema modus the most.
Did not have any false palmtouches.

The grip is much better then my Samsung S7.
I did not have the feeling that the S8 was to narrow.

I am left handed, this new Samsung S8 with the new fingerprint placement is in my opinion NOT really suitable for lefties. Its everything, except ergonomic and feels really unnatural. Had to do some acrobatic tricks there ;)

I noticed quite some lage and hiccups (for example: switching between 2 apps on my Samsung S7 is much quicker then this S8 I used at this Store)... They were on Demo Modus, so maybe thats why.

Software buttons instead of the hardware buttons (on my S7); not really a fan of it. Sometimes it feels unlogical to not have hardware buttons. But I guess one will get used to it, overtime.

The Bixby button: wish it was possible to remap this button. I think Bixby will have the same (future) life as Siri in non-English spoken countries...nearly non-existant.

Played with the S8+ as well, just for a minute or 2. Way too big for me ( not even have small hands/fingers), a phablet 2.0 (my 2cts, I know).

I am satisfied, not overwhelmed, the only real WOW-effect was the beauty of the Infinity Display.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm surprised some people feel the s8 is too narrow. I'm thrilled it's smaller than the S7E. Firstly for one handed use, but also because the narrower form factor, I believe, aids the prevention of false palm touches.

Reactions: MRU and Fernandez21

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I'm surprised some people feel the s8 is too narrow. I'm thrilled it's smaller than the S7E. Firstly for one handed use, but also because the narrower form factor, I believe, aids the prevention of false palm touches.
I think it could be just a perception thing. Since we are not used to it, it looks odd.
For example when i first got my iPhone 5 it felt weird because the screen was tall and not wide.

Reactions: epicrayban

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have big hands. The reason I feel it is a little narrow is when typing on the keyboard. Everything feels a little cramped both on the G6 I had for a while and the S8...not so much on the 8+ though. But holding it is very nice the ergonomics is awesome. It does allow for better one handed use imho....

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, I think as someone else mentioned, it's the proportions that may seem off to some. I actually think it looks too tall. The hardest reach for me has always been to the top of the screen and while narrower certainly helps, it still looks like a pretty long reach (yes, I'm aware of the one handed use setting--find them compromising in any form). Of course, I won't presume to claim that's absolutely the case without trying one out in person.

Regardless though, I'm not a big fan of the aspect ratio/proportions. I actually do use my phone in landscape orientation for things other than video and the S8 will be less than ideal for that.

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but with last week's news that Synaptics seems to have licked the problem of how to integrate the FPS on the front under the glass (and maybe have it ready in time for the N8)...who here is still willing to shell out major bucks on the S8/+?

Almost assuredly, the S9 will have the FPS on the front as I predicted.

No need for the S9 when you can get a Note 8 with similar specs, minus the processor?

Expected Note 8 specs: 4k display, 6gb RAM, 835 processor or later, etc?

S9: 6gb RAM, latest Qualcomm processor, 4k display, and better camera.

For extra $, you're just getting a possible dual camera system and a better processor. The Note 8 probably has the FP scanner underneath the display.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
do you guys notice in the ram management testing when the gs8 pics an old app it's playing the instant the guy clicks on it and on the iPhone it has a screen capture of it and 2 seconds later it plays?

that to me is a refresh.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Those android central pics were pretty crappy besides a couple. Obvioulsy it will have a great camera, that guy just took a lot of meh pics, some downright bad

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
do you guys notice in the ram management testing when the gs8 pics an old app it's playing the instant the guy clicks on it and on the iPhone it has a screen capture of it and 2 seconds later it plays?

that to me is a refresh.

No the refresh would be if the app suspended on iOS goes reloads completely (restarts).

Apps like twitter, YouTube, Facebook and others are all set to refresh for new content when being brought out of the background regardless of iOS or Android.

iOS captures a screen to memory when backgrounding an app to smooth transition of it being brought on and out of multitasking.

What makes this seem like an app reload when it's a refresh then is those apps like YouTube or play newstand which then refresh for new content automatically when brought out of background and you get the jolt for a split second of the screenshot prior, whereas on Android it doesn't capture the screenshot, it just takes it directly into back, but those same apps still refresh for new content after set periods when being brought out of background.

The re-loading of an app entirely is different and you will see startup screen and it noticeably take longer to get back to where it was as it has to reload ALL content.

It's why any much of these app speed test results are junk, because they do not take into account how different OS's work.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
No the refresh would be if the app suspended on iOS goes reloads completely (restarts).

Apps like twitter, YouTube, Facebook and others are all set to refresh for new content when being brought out of the background regardless of iOS or Android.

iOS captures a screen to memory when backgrounding an app to smooth transition of it being brought on and out of multitasking.

What makes this seem like an app reload when it's a refresh then is those apps like YouTube or play newstand which then refresh for new content automatically when brought out of background and you get the jolt for a split second of the screenshot prior, whereas on Android it doesn't capture the screenshot, it just takes it directly into back, but those same apps still refresh for new content after set periods when being brought out of background.

The re-loading of an app entirely is different and you will see startup screen and it noticeably take longer to get back to where it was as it has to reload ALL content.

It's why any much of these app speed test results are junk, because they do not take into account how different OS's work.

either way we are at a point now that ram management should not be anyone's concern.i just found it odd that some games were playing music and active the second he switched back.

like you said it's just how the os run on each platform.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I hate when I swipe back on Safari and it shows the previous page perfectly (@MRU that snapshot you were talking about, I guess?) but it's just frozen until the page reloads. I feel like that's misleading. I start tapping thinking it's ready to go, but it's not; nothing happens.

On Chrome on Android, if I press back, it'll actually load the previous page, which I find less misleading. It's more similar to how browsers work on a desktop. If you press back, it still has to load the previous page. There's no reason not to show this.
[doublepost=1491404705][/doublepost]Not unrelated to the recent chatter about tall screens: The Verge's front page LG G6 review subtitle is "Tall Screens Are the New Norm"

I haven't read it yet, but ouch at the score: http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/15188830/lg-g6-2017-review-phone-specs

Reactions: Oohara

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Even when using my iPhone, I still get more Whatsapp messages. It's the only messenger that 95% of everybody I've dealt with has, worldwide on iOS and Android. Even the non techy elders in my family use it, without me even telling them about it. I wouldn't mind if it became a system app on both iOS and Android.
so you don't always get your whatsapp messages?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Two things:

1. Does anyone know what Quick Charge standard the Snapdragon S8/S8+ will use? My head says 2.0 because of the problems with the Note 7. However, I would love to see 3.0 or 4.0 as a welcomed addition if it were safely implemented.

2. Does anyone foresee T-Mobile offering a good trade in deal or a bogo special? The iPhone 7 had a trade up event yet there is nothing being announced on the S8. Both are marquee names, can attract customers to commit to T-Mobile for 2 years. Plus, US Cellular is giving away free S8s with a 30 month agreement. I tried to reach out to T-Force on Twitter, but got nothing so far regarding offering something similar.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Two things:

1. Does anyone know what Quick Charge standard the Snapdragon S8/S8+ will use? My head says 2.0 because of the problems with the Note 7. However, I would love to see 3.0 or 4.0 as a welcomed addition if it were safely implemented.

2. Does anyone foresee T-Mobile offering a good trade in deal or a bogo special? The iPhone 7 had a trade up event yet there is nothing being announced on the S8. Both are marquee names, can attract customers to commit to T-Mobile for 2 years. Plus, US Cellular is giving away free S8s with a 30 month agreement. I tried to reach out to T-Force on Twitter, but got nothing so far regarding offering something similar.

If I had to guess, Quick Charge 2.0. I think if it was 3.0 or 4.0, they would have said more about it. But not sure.

Reactions: nviz22

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Just finished playing with the S8.

It's really nice. It was the purpley grey colour, which wasn't offensive, but I wouldn't buy it.

I have a 7+ at the moment and personally found the S8 a little bit small. I could easily reach all the aspects of the screen.

The FPS was in a weird place, but I couldn't get a proper feel for it because of the tether anchor on the back

Software wise, the phone was lightning quick.

Haven't got much more to add to what has already been said.

I've pre-ordered the S8+ directly from Samsung and will be leaving my order in place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.