Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
And all that means nothing because nearly all of you will use Adaptive Display and the accuracy will be off ;) lol

But for those of us who like more realistic colours it means Basic mode will be even more accurate ...

Long article, but from what I read Cinema Mode is very accurate and got very wide colour gamut. So it might be better to use Cinema Mode rather than the Basic Mode.

Reactions: MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I just want to plant a flag here in respect to the standards we hold Samsung to.

They are incredibly high.

Year after year, we see them trying to improve on some of the things they fall short on, sometimes directly addressing specific issues of the previous generation (e.g, putting back microSD, waterproofing; and now having leading class battery QC, promises for security updates, etc.). And yet many still can't appreciate their efforts.

Can someone name me one other OEM that has been this active in directly addressing criticisms over the past few years? Serious question.

As far as I can tell, only Samsung. Certainly not Apple who marches to their own timetable, who is expected to carry a three year old design into a fourth year with the 2017 7S models; certainly not HTC (no explanation needed there!); not really Motorola or Sony; maybe OnePlus or LG to some degree?

But none, as far as I can tell, like Samsung. And there's still plenty for them to grow and improve upon, but from the S6 to the S7 to the S8, you can actually map out the criticisms from tech blogs/journalists and Samsung's direct response in the next device.

I also think techblogs cover Samsung to a rather high standard, but not quite high enough for Apple. Some of this is changing, finally.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Long article, but from what I read Cinema Mode is very accurate and got very wide colour gamut. So it might be better to use Cinema Mode rather than the Basic Mode.

Really, that makes a change for Samsung. Thanks for the info ... when I finally get to try one it'll be one of the first things I change to try out :)

Reactions: hot spare

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
That's the first time I've seen a request for that! ;)

I, for one, am glad it's narrow. And narrower than the S7E.
[doublepost=1491331707][/doublepost]

This is why the option to change it is great. :)

To me the S8 feels better in hand than the S7. The narrower width is more important than increased height.
[doublepost=1491332152][/doublepost]

As the review said, it depends on what you're doing. For the majority of content, Basic Mode is best. Wide gamut makes sRGB content look oversaturated. But it's great that the screen allows content created in a wider gamut to be viewed with accuracy.

displaymate said:
Use the Basic screen mode for the best color and image accuracy for most current consumer content, which is especially important when viewing photos from family and friends (because you often know exactly what they actually should look like), for some TV shows, movies, and sporting events with image content and colors that you are familiar with, and also for viewing online merchandise, so you have a very good idea of exactly what colors you are buying and are less likely to return them.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Can you direct me to that article? Cinema is usually the most oversaturate and inaccurate display setting, unless they changed it.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I played with the s8 and s8 plus today and came away meh overall.
The screen is nice but the aspect ratio is odd. Its too long and the screen should be wider.
It's definitely something that's not going to appeal to everyone. Even I think it looks a little weird sometimes. But I like it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The article states that Cinema is a "Very Accurate Standard DCI-P3 Color Gamut." It'll oversaturate sRGB content but if viewing HDR content it will be accurate.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S8_ShootOut_01.htm
So it's only accurate for HDR content, best still to use Basic for everything else if you value accuracy, of which we who do are actually in the minority when it comes to Samsung displays as most seem to prefer the vibrant look.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
So it's only accurate for HDR content, best still to use Basic for everything else if you value accuracy, of which we who do are actually in the minority when it comes to Samsung displays as most seem to prefer the vibrant look.

I love that we can not only have an accurate HDR AMOLED screen but at the same time have a completely accurate sRGB AMOLED screen. I have a 4K OLED LG TV and am completely sold on this tech. I can't wait to replace my LCD monitor with OLED someday. With my TV I'm more impressed with HDR content than I am the increased pixel density. To have this in a phone is wonderful.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Yeah, I can't stand the vibrant look, everything just looks off, and in some cases it hurts my eyes. Photo mode is my sweet spot, a little oversaturated but not far off, I just wish we could adjust the white balance in that mode.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah, I can't stand the vibrant look, everything just looks off, and in some cases it hurts my eyes. Photo mode is my sweet spot, a little oversaturated but not far off, I just wish we could adjust the white balance in that mode.
Yeah same with basic it would be fantastic to have the white point control there too ....

Seems strange the only area you get to change it is in the adaptive mode.

When it's those who prefer the more accurate modes that would benefit most from the ability to adjust white point.

Reactions: Fernandez21

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
IMO it seems like design is more important to your average consumer, not only design but branding as well. I'll bet a large chunk of those every day consumers buy an iPhone simply because it's an Apple product. Let's face it, no matter which phone you get they ALL get the basic job done. Calls, texts, email, web browsing, they all can more than adequately handle those jobs. Research has demonstrated most users only have a very few apps on their phones anyway. I do think you have a point with some aspects. For example facetime and imessage are easy to use out of the box, versus Google's completely moronic approach to messaging where they have several apps all doing different things. I can easily see a consumer saying F... Google, I just want to facetime my kid without having to jump though all the hoops.

All that but I like for my kid to be able to facetime me without jumping through hoops! Ease of use definitely has a lot to do with it. Example guy in office had Samsung phone was always asking how do I do this and that, not to mention it would get really hot and the battery die. Last upgrade switch to iPhone haven't had a single question, honestly not one.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I had a look at both the new phones in the O2 shop yesterday. The screens are just fabulous. I did think it looked slightly long but not overly so, I thought it more comfortable to hold than my Pixel XL. (That is when I could find a way of holding it without the large piece of junk that O2 attach all their phones too for security.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
All that but I like for my kid to be able to facetime me without jumping through hoops! Ease of use definitely has a lot to do with it. Example guy in office had Samsung phone was always asking how do I do this and that, not to mention it would get really hot and the battery die. Last upgrade switch to iPhone haven't had a single question, honestly not one.
But we all have stories like that for both platforms. I have both the Pixel XL and iphone 7+ and love both phones. But I can't tell you how many times I have heard stories about problems with both phones and platforms.
The anecdotal stories are a dime a dozen so to speak. I have helped so many people with their iphones and just as many with the Android phones.

Reactions: Demo Kit and MRU

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I just want to plant a flag here in respect to the standards we hold Samsung to.

Year after year, we see them trying to improve on some of the things they fall short on, sometimes directly addressing specific issues of the previous generation (e.g, putting back microSD, waterproofing; and now having leading class battery QC, promises for security updates, etc.). And yet many still can't appreciate their efforts.

Can someone name me one other OEM that has been this active in directly addressing criticisms over the past few years? Serious question.

As far as I can tell, only Samsung. Certainly not Apple who marches to their own timetable, who is expected to carry a three year old design into a fourth year with the 2017 7S models; certainly not HTC (no explanation needed there!); not really Motorola or Sony; maybe OnePlus or LG to some degree?

But none, as far as I can tell, like Samsung. And there's still plenty for them to grow and improve upon, but from the S6 to the S7 to the S8, you can actually map out the criticisms from tech blogs/journalists and Samsung's direct response in the next device.

I also think techblogs cover Samsung to a rather high standard, but not quite high enough for Apple. Some of this is changing, finally.

Agree.

Everyone has a point of view. I think some posters here are coming off as incredibly "entitled" if I'm honest - but then, Samsung and all these other manufacturers are charging astronomical amounts for their phones, so I can understand expecting the best.

Apple and Samsung are the leaders (by some distance) and for a reason. There are plenty of other great options but nobody has set up an ecosystem like Apple, and nobody has designed/created such unbelievable hardware like Samsung.

OnePlus, Motorola, LG, HTC, Google, Huawei - they are all great companies. But the majority of the world sticks to Apple and Samsung for a reason.

And hardware-wise, the S8 is probably about 2-3 years ahead of what Apple are churning out.

I still think these phones are a goddamn miracle. Every day I am amazed by them. 20 years ago, we didn't have this. 10 years ago, the iPhone hadn't even been released. I remember all this.

So OK this phone lags, or the battery is a bit small etc etc.... It's all relative - these phones aren't phones anymore, they are handheld computers and cameras and goodness knows what else. And they improve every year.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Agree.

Everyone has a point of view. I think some posters here are coming off as incredibly "entitled" if I'm honest - but then, Samsung and all these other manufacturers are charging astronomical amounts for their phones, so I can understand expecting the best.

Apple and Samsung are the leaders (by some distance) and for a reason. There are plenty of other great options but nobody has set up an ecosystem like Apple, and nobody has designed/created such unbelievable hardware like Samsung.

OnePlus, Motorola, LG, HTC, Google, Huawei - they are all great companies. But the majority of the world sticks to Apple and Samsung for a reason.

And hardware-wise, the S8 is probably about 2-3 years ahead of what Apple are churning out.

I still think these phones are a goddamn miracle. Every day I am amazed by them. 20 years ago, we didn't have this. 10 years ago, the iPhone hadn't even been released. I remember all this.

So OK this phone lags, or the battery is a bit small etc etc.... It's all relative - these phones aren't phones anymore, they are handheld computers and cameras and goodness knows what else. And they improve every year.

Your comment reminded me of Louis CK on Conan. He said, "Everything is amazing right now and nobody's happy."

We complain and nitpick about such trivial things but when you step back and look at the marvels we hold in our hands... it truly is a miracle that such life-enhancing devices exist.

As far as the competition, it all comes down to price for me. When many devices cost the same amount of money -- especially when using a payment plan we're talking about small amounts of money -- then I want the best I can get for the money. LG, Moto, Pixel are all nice, but when they're basically no difference in cost to me I don't feel compelled to use them. If I was paying for a device in full then the new Moto G would have my attention.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but with last week's news that Synaptics seems to have licked the problem of how to integrate the FPS on the front under the glass (and maybe have it ready in time for the N8)...who here is still willing to shell out major bucks on the S8/+?

Almost assuredly, the S9 will have the FPS on the front as I predicted.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I played with the s8 and s8 plus today and came away meh overall.
The screen is nice but the aspect ratio is odd. Its too long and the screen should be wider.

This is my fear as well, but I'll know better when I fondle one in about an hour on the way home. I'm questioning the decision to make it taller seemingly only for them to be able to say it's a larger screen. Anyone do the math what size the screen would have been if they kept something like 16:9?
[doublepost=1491347377][/doublepost]

I kind of regret returning my oem Samsung wireless chargers, got them on amazon for $20 each at the beginning of the Note 7 fiasco. Those look nice though!
[doublepost=1491347545][/doublepost]

This is a huge weakness that I think Google and Microsoft are being very stupid on. I'd rather have my 5 year old on her windows tablet, unfortunately getting Skype to work is a pita. Same thing for google services. So I just give her the ipad and she just has to press one button and it all works. Seriously, someone needs to go find the morons at Google in charge and give them a swift kick to the head. This is the stuff that consumers rave about.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but with last week's news that Synaptics seems to have licked the problem of how to integrate the FPS on the front under the glass (and maybe have it ready in time for the N8)...who here is still willing to shell out major bucks on the S8/+?

Almost assuredly the S9 will have the FPS on the front as I predicted.
Me! I always knew I am getting the next Note anyway, once I got over my saltiness about the Note 7 mess.

The Note phones come out close enough to my birthday that I can always make a good case to get one. I didn't always celebrate my birthday back when finances were tighter because it was a problem that my birthday coincides when my one of my two big car insurance payments was due. And we needed to save money for summer vacation. And even when finances stopped being a problem, sometimes time to set aside for shopping or to celebrate was a problem, so we were short on presents. So I'm due some retro active presents! :D That's my take on it anyway. :D

And I adopted my mom's weird but awesome kind of rule that on my birthday, if I get a big present, someone else has to get their wish, too, so that I can share the day with someone. Like often we would go to the toy store on my birthday and get toys, too. So this year on my birthday, hubby will be getting a Note 8, too. Hardly a week goes by that he doesn't declare mournfully that he misses his Note 7.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

I'm not sure what you're looking to hear? You seem to have an emotional feeling toward Samsung right now.

Standards are held high by whom? The people here who seemingly change phones every 3-4 months? Most tech blogs have revered the galaxy phones more than Apple lately so I don't know where that comes into play.

Some prefer iPhones/other phones. It's simple. A large number prefer galaxy phones too. Design is just one aspect of a phones appeal. And it's subjective.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Almost assuredly, the S9 will have the FPS on the front as I predicted.
Awesome! But then some of will just get the S8+ and the Note 8 :)
[doublepost=1491349809][/doublepost]
I'm not sure what you're looking to hear? You seem to have an emotional feeling toward Samsung right now.

Standards are held high by whom? The people here who seemingly change phones every 3-4 months? Most tech blogs have revered the galaxy phones more than Apple lately so I don't know where that comes into play.

Some prefer iPhones/other phones. It's simple. A large number prefer galaxy phones too. Design is just one aspect of a phones appeal. And it's subjective.
pot....meet kettle......who is getting emotional? Lol what does even mean? He wasn't even replying to you....yet you got all emotional about it. See what i did there?

Some prefer Android some prefer iphones. Now lets stick to the thread topic....

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Awesome! But then some of will just get the S8+ and the Note 8 :)
[doublepost=1491349809][/doublepost]
pot....meet kettle......who is getting emotional? Lol what does even mean? He wasn't even replying to you....yet you got all emotional about it. See what i did there?

Some prefer Android some prefer iphones. Now lets stick to the thread topic....

You're free to post but my post wasn't directed at you. I've already said some prefer some phones, some others. His post was about Samsung not seemingly getting enough respect for its galaxy phones.

But again I wasn't replying to you, hence the post I quoted.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You're free to post but my post wasn't directed at you. I've already said some prefer some phones, some others. His post was about Samsung not seemingly getting enough respect for its galaxy phones.

But again I wasn't replying to you, hence the post I quoted.
But then his post wasn't directed at you as well.....yet you replied to it. I guess we can all reply to whomever we want to.....
[doublepost=1491351122][/doublepost]Here is a speed test video....which are stupid. Most people will never notice the split second difference in opening apps or games.

What I am excited about is the ram test in the video. He opened a lot of games and apps during the video then went back to them and the S8 did not refresh.
Samsung is getting better at ram management.

Reactions: widgeteer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.