Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I've had the exact same concern. Same goes for false touches. Most of the hands on reviews, and my own VERY limited testing, suggest it's not an issue. However, as we all know, none of this means anything until you're handling and using the phone every single day.
[doublepost=1491326664][/doublepost]

No it isn't, and your point is not well thought out, it's "sheep-like" in its own right while trying to put down those who use a different product than you. People swear by Apple because it meets their needs specific to how *they* use a phone. I use both an iPhone 7+ and Pixel XL as rotating daily drivers. The design of a phone is of greater interest to those who swap them often than the majority of the phone buying public. The key is the OS, how you use that OS, how it does the things you need it to do.

IMO it seems like design is more important to your average consumer, not only design but branding as well. I'll bet a large chunk of those every day consumers buy an iPhone simply because it's an Apple product. Let's face it, no matter which phone you get they ALL get the basic job done. Calls, texts, email, web browsing, they all can more than adequately handle those jobs. Research has demonstrated most users only have a very few apps on their phones anyway. I do think you have a point with some aspects. For example facetime and imessage are easy to use out of the box, versus Google's completely moronic approach to messaging where they have several apps all doing different things. I can easily see a consumer saying F... Google, I just want to facetime my kid without having to jump though all the hoops.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hmm, I always take those with a grain of salt. On benchmarks the Note 5 battery was right up there with the ip7+, but in my experience was nowhere near the ip7+, same thing with the Note 7. Both Notes would routinely be out of battery by the end of my day, where my ip7+ usually has 40-50% left. I think the issue with benchmarks is they are too perfect, the conditions are perfect and they don't really allow for those random apps which suck battery up. Apple seems far more controlled in relation to apps, I don't believe I've ever encountered a rogue app on iOS.

I'm still heavily considering the S8 though. I see that waze on android auto is in beta testing. I'm a bit tired of having to use 2 different phone UI's (google voice), and of course having no dark mode continues to be a daily torture device. I still have to fondle a S8+ in person, but I hope it's not too tall. The more I think about it, the more I feel maybe Samsung should have made a shorter device and kept the old screen ratio. A bigger screen is more useful, but only if it's bigger both horizontally and vertically. Just thoughts though, I have to see one in person still.
oh yeah i remember the N5 and how it did not live upto the projected battery life. I agree about taking these with a grain of salt....then I don't think my 7+ will get what they projected either tbh.
I don't like benchmarks as a whole. there are too many variables to be considered what would be real life projections.
I prefer user experiences better than benchmarks.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Actually no

Even in September the resale value will be great. It's why to me going sim only and buying then selling your old phone only makes sense with Apple. Resale value is just too bad to do this on android. Sure if you don't mind paying pretty much full value each year on android to upgrade.

Actually yes LOL

Firstly I have never in over 20 year had a contract phone even when I lived in the USA I always bought my phones outright (Then unlocked them for $15) and in Middle East and Asia all phones are sim free unlocked. The last time I bought in UK Blackberry was the in phone and was far easier to sell

Secondly Your comparison was on phones that had different release dates and now your guessing a value in September :rolleyes:

As I noted even Apple UK for example will only give you UKP235 for an IPhone6S plus but up to UKP330 for a non IPhone so the chances are that Android could yield more on trade in outright purchase etc.

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/trade-up/

I have never been any worse off by selling a 2nd hand Android over an IPhone as I said YMMV and if your lucky that you can find someone who will pay over the odds then good for you :) but I doubt any sensible person will offer more than Apple trade in values as they will use this as a benchmark price.

Best of luck when you upgrade

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
This thread is frustrating because you all are making good points pro and con, but I don't know if those of you making these good points consistently see and acknowledge the validity in the opposing views, too.

The thing is, the right answer depends on the buyer. Some people can be happy with things other people can not abide. There is no sense trying to understand why someone else would ignore that which bothers you, or wants to meet a criteria that you could not care less about. I'm glad the people voicing their criticisms are tempering my enthusiasm, so I don't build this phone up too much in my mind and will be realistic about its shortcomings when I get it. At the same time, do not think you will scare me off from the most fabulous form factor I've ever seen. I'm getting it to drool over it even if I have to stick it on my equally pretty charging pads a lot. Clearly I'm a weirdo and not a power user. That's okay, Santa and Elvis love me anyway.

It's ergonomic from what I can tell...for my particular hands, at least. I went from hating all the pictures of all the confusing wavy gravy curves to holding that beauty in my hands and wanting to dive into it like some sci fi character jumping through a portal.

Some people will still see it in person and be appalled. That's okay. There are other phones and they're great in a different way.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
oh yeah i remember the N5 and how it did not live upto the projected battery life. I agree about taking these with a grain of salt....then I don't think my 7+ will get what they projected either tbh.
I don't like benchmarks as a whole. there are too many variables to be considered what would be real life projections.
I prefer user experiences better than benchmarks.

As much smack as I talk about iOS stinking I must say that in every scenario I've tired the ip7+ gets insane battery life. Heck I've got mine jailbroken and running a bunch of modifications and it still gets the same battery life. Of course others have chimed in that Apple has the advantage of being able to optimize the OS and hardware, lower screen resolution, etc. I think it's a given that the S8/S8+'s would have less battery life, although I'd be curious to see battery benchmarks with the screen resolution on the Samsung lowered to match the iPhone.

But yeah I agree, there are way too many variables. We all do our own battery testing when we use our phones. I think a good idea would be to have some kind of app which crowd sourced battery life and provided reports, kind of like what open signal does with reception. They could even sell that data back to the oem's.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Apple is is in the unique position of designing both the OS and hardware to work with each other. Then their hardware display is only 1080 display resolution. That consumes less power as a whole. Apple does a great job of blending both hardware and software together to attain that great battery life,
Yes I agree but the S8 has the default resolution set to 1080P. Seems like there is still some optimization missing on Samsung's side.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
So I see these are not sold out yet, I wonder if that means they are not selling as well as Samsung had hoped. Everywhere I look for preorder still has a date of 4/21 for receiving it. BB has a nice deal and I'm tempted to grab one through them. I wonder how much the price will plummet if they are not sold out and readily available. Still, it's hard to beat $100 off and the free Gear VR, although I would have preferred a BOGO deal.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
IMO it seems like design is more important to your average consumer, not only design but branding as well. I'll bet a large chunk of those every day consumers buy an iPhone simply because it's an Apple product. Let's face it, no matter which phone you get they ALL get the basic job done. Calls, texts, email, web browsing, they all can more than adequately handle those jobs. Research has demonstrated most users only have a very few apps on their phones anyway. I do think you have a point with some aspects. For example facetime and imessage are easy to use out of the box, versus Google's completely moronic approach to messaging where they have several apps all doing different things. I can easily see a consumer saying F... Google, I just want to facetime my kid without having to jump though all the hoops.

That *is* the point. People casually toss out "Apple marketing" as though it's a crap product, but the "sheep" can't see past a commercial. You pick up an iPhone, and it's instantly usable with almost zero set up. I'm a power user, and I'm excited for the S8+ I've ordered, but I gotta tell you: when I contemplate all the different settings I'm going to have to tweak, I start feeling a bit exhausted just thinking about it. Even the resolution's default is set lower than it's capable of out of the box. Honestly: who the hell wants to manage resolution?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
This thread is frustrating because you all are making good points pro and con, but I don't know if those of you making these good points consistently see and acknowledge the validity in the opposing views, too.

The thing is, the right answer depends on the buyer. Some people can be happy with things other people can not abide. There is no sense trying to understand why someone else would ignore that which bothers you, or wants to meet a criteria that you could not care less about. I'm glad the people voicing their criticisms are tempering my enthusiasm, so I don't build this phone up too much in my mind and will be realistic about its shortcomings when I get it. At the same time, do not think you will scare me off from the most fabulous form factor I've ever seen. I'm getting it to drool over it even if I have to stick it on my equally pretty charging pads a lot. Clearly I'm a weirdo and not a power user. That's okay, Santa and Elvis love me anyway.

It's ergonomic from what I can tell...for my particular hands, at least. I went from hating all the pictures of all the confusing wavy gravy curves to holding that beauty in my hands and wanting to dive into it like some sci fi character jumping through a portal.

Some people will still see it in person and be appalled. That's okay. There are other phones and they're great in a different way.

Yup, at the end of the day, everyone's decision is their own.

For me, I'm not worried about millisecond differences in lag, and am happy Samsung is changing their unlocked/updates strategies.

Others push new frontiers in software (Pixel for example ushers in a new standard for software responsiveness with android devices). So does Samsung in their respective strengths.

Which means we all get better choices.

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
My husband works very closely with the administration of our alma mater due to the vast amounts of recruitment he's done there, also his dad worked there for a few years and still has contacts. While he's sort of lukewarm and withholding enthusiasm for the S8 itself, he is very interested in how DeX turns out. He believes something like this will be important in the future if companies don't muck it up.

If it takes off, I'm pretty sure he will pitch the scenario I mentioned to some powers-that-be at our university...whether they listen to him without his promising to help fund something like that, I don't know. We aren't the Rockefellers so, lol...good luck with that. The university was always hitting me up for donations even when I was trying to survive on minimum wage after graduation during a regional micro recession and after not being able to get a job even at their book store. Now over 25 years later they are obnoxious at shaking down alumni whether they've done well or not, but especially if they've done well. They treated my husband like rubbish as a student so he's not exactly in love with them. I give them the stink eye o_O because they waste tons of money from the state slapping names of politicians on their constantly refurbished buildings while campus security is at an abysmal low, especially for female students safety. But I digress.

He had thought Apple would be first out of the gate with this paradigm after Microsoft failed to make a go of it, but that didn't happen. But you know Apple, they like taking their time perfecting things so they could still take the game. The big question is will customers see utility in this or will everyone dismiss it as niche. It really doesn't matter to the consumer who does it, I guess, as long as someone does it, does it well, and circumstances smile on it to go mainstream.

It will be interesting to see if Samsung has enough marketing presence to get lets under this. Microsoft didn't have enough market share. Also, I'm not sure how well Continuum worked. I expressed interest in it but my husband talked me out of buying into it because he saw how dead things were for them.
We can only hope these OEMs don't mess this up while chasing profits.

We need Google to act quickly in this area and bake in a DeX type setup in the next Android iteration, that way we get a standard universal setup that OEMs can build hardware around.

Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
That *is* the point. People casually toss out "Apple marketing" as though it's a crap product, but the "sheep" can't see past a commercial. You pick up an iPhone, and it's instantly usable with almost zero set up. I'm a power user, and I'm excited for the S8+ I've ordered, but I gotta tell you: when I contemplate all the different settings I'm going to have to tweak, I start feeling a bit exhausted just thinking about it. Even the resolution's default is set lower than it's capable of out of the box. Honestly: who the hell wants to manage resolution?

Yeah I think you both have excellent points. But I've had Samsungs before, plenty of them, and I don't feel they need a lot of tweaking. The only thing I did on the Note 7 was enable a dark mode and I was good to go, heck iOS doesn't even have that option. I don't remember having to tweak anything else. They both have pluses and minues. For example, IMO iOS settings menus are horrible. Even after using iphones for years I find myself getting stuck and having to figure out where settings are. Also having 2 sets of settings inside apps and in the settings menu can be confusing at times. The UI for going back seems inconsistent as well, sometimes I get the tiny little arrow up top to go back to the previous app, other times I don't and I'm left wondering how to navigate, versus just having one universal back button.

But I'm not disagreeing with you, I just think that some overstate Apples "simplicity". IMO iphones are not necessarily more simple, and sometimes even if they are more simple that simplicity actually complicates things.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
please understand that there are people here who will defend Apple in everything they do. Even if Apple uses the same design for their iPhones, more then 3 years in a row.
That is Apple marketing 101
[doublepost=1491324704][/doublepost]

so, I guess thats why you are totally fine with your iPhone 7 Plus, a design of more then 3 years old.
Got it. Makes sense

If you read my post history, I am a huge Android nerd, big time Nexus fan. And more of an Apple hater almost. I am just using the 7 Plus, to try something different for once. Out of the 18 or 20 smartphones I have owned the past ten years or so, 15 phones I have owned have been Android flagships, with almost every Nexus phone, and only 3 iPhone's and a BlackBerry.

Yes I totally agree the iPhone is stale and lame, and I much prefer the Pixel XL, but it was out of stock when I was looking to upgrade, and I said F it, let's try something different and do an iPhone. But I still prefer stock Android #1. And Touchwiz is just pointless today in 2017, just no more need for manufacturers UI's today, now with stock Nougat being so good and mature. Yeah back in the day Sense, and Touchwiz were very much needed, due to stock Android missing features and being way too plain. But today, Google should just be running vanilla Android on every phone IMO

As of April 2017, I would still say the Pixel XL is the best smartphone right now, followed closely by the iPhone 7 Plus. Nothing else besides those two phone matter right now. Except the iPhone 8 in September, and Pixel 2 in October.

This Galaxy S8 is just like another Samsung appliance, no different than their latest Refrigerator or washing machine, nothing to get too excited over, it's just like a new dishwasher. The real innovators are Google who create and design Android. I believe the Pixel XL 2 will be an off the charts amazing device.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Actually yes LOL

Firstly I have never in over 20 year had a contract phone even when I lived in the USA I always bought my phones outright (Then unlocked them for $15) and in Middle East and Asia all phones are sim free unlocked. The last time I bought in UK Blackberry was the in phone and was far easier to sell

Secondly Your comparison was on phones that had different release dates and now your guessing a value in September :rolleyes:

As I noted even Apple UK for example will only give you UKP235 for an IPhone6S plus but up to UKP330 for a non IPhone so the chances are that Android could yield more on trade in outright purchase etc.

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/trade-up/

I have never been any worse off by selling a 2nd hand Android over an IPhone as I said YMMV and if your lucky that you can find someone who will pay over the odds then good for you :) but I doubt any sensible person will offer more than Apple trade in values as they will use this as a benchmark price.

Best of luck when you upgrade
I'm not guessing anything I'm basing it on the past two years where I sold my iPhone and bought the new one in September.

Paying maybe £300 for a new phone is far better than my history of doing the same with android. getting only £200 odd for my S7 edge was poor and it was the same when I sold my S6 and previous note phones. You simply don't get enough back from what you pay.

For many it won't matter at all but even if I bought the S8 now I bet even if I tried to sell it in 3 months the price would still be pretty low that if I sold my iPhone. As I said I sold the 6s for about £420 before launch of the iPhone 7. So more than I got for my S7 edge.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Actually no

Even in September the resale value will be great. It's why to me going sim only and buying then selling your old phone only makes sense with Apple. Resale value is just too bad to do this on android. Sure if you don't mind paying pretty much full value each year on android to upgrade.

In the US, the iPhone resale is not as great as you suggest. Yes, it's better than Samsung but it still has a big drop. There's just too many options to get high resale, especially after a year or so.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
please understand that there are people here who will defend Apple in everything they do. Even if Apple uses the same design for their iPhones, more then 3 years in a row.

so, I guess thats why you are totally fine with your iPhone 7 Plus, a design of more then 3 years old.
Got it. Makes sense

You have to be more open minded than that. Everyone knows I'm one of the top guys on here who criticize Apple in both hardware and software. But at the same time my daily driver is an iPhone 7+. I'm not necessarily totally fine with it, but it suits my needs the most at the moment. We really have to get away from the US versus THEM mentality. We are all smartphone lovers and the vast majority of us switch between Apple and Android often and in reality there are very very few true hardcore loyalists on either side.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Got it. Makes sense
Did you really just suggest Tig is an Apple fan?

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
Best display in the world: http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S8_ShootOut_01.htm

The Galaxy S8 is the first in a new generation of OLED Smartphones that have a Full Screen Display design. It is the most innovative and high performance Smartphone display that we have ever lab tested, earning DisplayMate’s highest ever A+ grade.

• Largest Native Color Gamut (113% DCI-P3 and 142% sRGB)
  • Highest Peak Brightness at 1020 nits.
  • Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light (227)
  • Lowest Screen Reflectance (4.5%)
  • Smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle (29%)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
So I finally seen the S8 and S8+ person. Unintentionally though, had to do a bit of clothes shopping in the mall and a T-mobile store was right there.

I'm very impressed with the design. Even though I already pre-ordered the S8+, I would still be more than satisfied with the S8. Both displays are big enough for anyone's needs. I didn't get to hold it in my hand, or see how reachable the FP sensor is, as they were locked down into the stand. The online photos and videos make them look so much bigger than what they are.

Playing around with the software, I'm already loving the swipe up or down to get to the app drawer. The onscreen home button is like a hybrid. Feels like a regular android onscreen home button when tapped and the iPhone home button when force touched. It's also easy to press the home button without looking at it.

Also played around with the G6. Don't know why, but the design reminds me so much of the iPhone 4. I think it's the sides that have a pleasant looking/feeling thickness. Seems durable. I asked one of the T-mobile guys, why is the LG display stand all the way in the back? He just laughed.

Reactions: v0lume4 and 5105973

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

This... its a big deal for me and my family/friends. Its just so easy to communicate compared to the cluster f*ck that is android video apps and text apps.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

The Galaxy S8 is the first in a new generation of OLED Smartphones that have a Full Screen Display design. It is the most innovative and high performance Smartphone display that we have ever lab tested, earning DisplayMate’s highest ever A+ grade.

Amazing. And kudos to Samsung. They continue their leading class screen technology (technology which is coveted by Apple and more).

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
You have to be more open minded than that. Everyone knows I'm one of the top guys on here who criticize Apple in both hardware and software. But at the same time my daily driver is an iPhone 7+. I'm not necessarily totally fine with it, but it suits my needs the most at the moment. We really have to get away from the US versus THEM mentality. We are all smartphone lovers and the vast majority of us switch between Apple and Android often and in reality there are very very few true hardcore loyalists on either side.

Exactly. I use my iPhone daily, too.

I criticize Apple as an Apple fan (again, all my house products are Apple. From my thunderbolt display, to iMacs, to multiple Macbooks, to my iPad, and even to peripherals like routers).

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
So I finally seen the S8 and S8+ person. Unintentionally though, had to do a bit of clothes shopping in the mall and a T-mobile store was right there.

I'm very impressed with the design. Even though I already pre-ordered the S8+, I would still be more than satisfied with the S8. Both displays are big enough for anyone's needs. I didn't get to hold it in my hand, or see how reachable the FP sensor is, as they were locked down into the stand. The online photos and videos make them look so much bigger than what they are.

Playing around with the software, I'm already loving the swipe up or down to get to the app drawer. The onscreen home button is like a hybrid. Feels like a regular android onscreen home button when tapped and the iPhone home button when force touched. It's also easy to press the home button without looking at it.

Also played around with the G6. Don't know why, but the design reminds me so much of the iPhone 4. I think it's the sides that have a pleasant looking/feeling thickness. Seems durable. I asked one of the T-mobile guys, why is the LG display stand all the way in the back? He just laughed.
I played with the s8 and s8 plus today and came away meh overall.
The screen is nice but the aspect ratio is odd. Its too long and the screen should be wider.

Reactions: 5105973

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

And all that means nothing because nearly all of you will use Adaptive Display and the accuracy will be off ;) lol

But for those of us who like more realistic colours it means Basic mode will be even more accurate than the already great S7/7e ...

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I played with the s8 and s8 plus today and came away meh overall.
The screen is nice but the aspect ratio is odd. Its too long and the screen should be wider.

That's the first time I've seen a request for that! ;)

I, for one, am glad it's narrow. And narrower than the S7E.
[doublepost=1491331707][/doublepost]
And all that means nothing because nearly all of you will use Adaptive Display and the accuracy will be off ;) lol

But for those of us who like more realistic colours it means Basic mode will be even more accurate than the already great S7/7e ...

This is why the option to change it is great. :)

Reactions: Demo Kit and MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.