Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
But then his post wasn't directed at you as well.....yet you replied to it. I guess we can all reply to whomever we want to.....

I didn't see a quote in his post so it seems to be a general one. But I guess you somehow know it wasn't directed at certain people even though it was someone else. Okay then.

And I've already said you're free to post.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I didn't see a quote in his post so it seems to be a general one. But I guess you somehow know it wasn't directed at certain people even though it was someone else. Okay then.

And I've already said you're free to post.
oh wait.... why are you getting so emotional over his post? Now lets quit the personal stuff and stay on topic.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
But then his post wasn't directed at you as well.....yet you replied to it. I guess we can all reply to whomever we want to.....
[doublepost=1491351122][/doublepost]Here is a speed test video....which are stupid. Most people will never notice the split second difference in opening apps or games.

What I am excited about is the ram test in the video. He opened a lot of games and apps during the video then went back to them and the S8 did not refresh.
Samsung is getting better at ram management.

At least he done it the right way. Instead of opening a ton of apps at the same time like it's a race. The way he does it, proves there is inconstancy with these type of tests.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
just ordered over 70million of them from Samsung.
I'm sure Apple ordered 70 million older generation AMOLED screens especially since they are all about profit. Apple will announce their display as something new and add true tone and all fanboys will be amazed lol. Maybe iPhones will be Quad HD this year......

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Its a tricky one. I doubt I can continue to use my IP7+ for another 12months

Yeah I've updated every year and have become accustomed to doing so. If the iP8 doesn't appeal to me I might just have to break tradition and stick with the 7+ for another year, mainly due to having the watch, but also the 7+ works fine for my needs. I think once my watch has reached it's end of life (smashed, too slow, dead battery, whatever comes first) then I'll be free to look at whatever phone tickles my fancy at the time. So far the only thing off putting about the iP8 rumours is the reduction in screen size from the 7+. If there are two models, one with a larger screen to compete with the SGS8+ then I'll jump on it right away.

Upgrading has never been a need to thing for me, it's a want, and because I can. I generally recontract and cop a payout on my old handset, which I've been lucky enough so far to be able to sell to cover the payout, and sometimes pocket a bit of cash for myself.

I'd still be very interested in giving the S8+ a go, but I'm not prepared to give up my iPhone and lose 90% of the functionality of my Apple Watch to do so.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
[doublepost=1491351122][/doublepost]Here is a speed test video....which are stupid. Most people will never notice the split second difference in opening apps or games.

What I am excited about is the ram test in the video. He opened a lot of games and apps during the video then went back to them and the S8 did not refresh.
Samsung is getting better at ram management.

Where is @MRU? He's going to breathe a sigh of relief for this!

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
oh wait.... why are you getting so emotional over his post? Now lets quit the personal stuff and stay on topic.

I'm not. And again I'm not understanding why you are still speaking for another person. I quoted the person I was responding to. I wasn't responding to you at all. Do you feel a need to speak for others?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm not. And again I'm not understanding why you are still speaking for another person. I quoted the person I was responding to. I wasn't responding to you at all. Do you feel a need to speak for others?

Well to be honest you replied to a post that was not directed at you. Why am I not entitled to the same. Why are you so emotional about all this?
Can we just drop it now? Or are you trying to derail the thread?
I'm here to talk about the Galaxy S8.....

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
All that but I like for my kid to be able to facetime me without jumping through hoops! Ease of use definitely has a lot to do with it. Example guy in office had Samsung phone was always asking how do I do this and that, not to mention it would get really hot and the battery die. Last upgrade switch to iPhone haven't had a single question, honestly not one.

I think the vast majority just want things to work. Marketing of course plays a part but usually people are creatures of habit. If a phone was good to them before they think there's no reason to change platforms either way. Most people don't buy multiple phones each year like several on this forum.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Well to be honest you replied to a post that was not directed at you. Why am I not entitled to the same. Why are you so emotional about all this?
Can we just drop it now? Or are you trying to derail the thread?
I'm here to talk about the Galaxy S8.....

Uh then don't respond to me then? I wasn't posting toward you anyway, like I stated in the beginning. I guess I'm not being clear enough. I quoted a general post from epicrayban about the level of standard/respect Samsung has gotten. I know he's more than capable of providing his own opinion. Or is there some weird situation where others speak for others in here?

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Where is @MRU? He's going to breathe a sigh of relief for this!
In fairness, didn't have a problem with either my S7 or 7e in that regard. I don't use games on my phones, i merely expect the 8 or so apps i consistently use between all devices can stay in ram. At least as you say it's confirmation the progress Samsung made last year regarding this has been maintained.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
At least he done it the right way. Instead of opening a ton of apps at the same time like it's a race. The way he does it, proves there is inconstancy with these type of tests.
How can there be a right way ? Surely either these tests are by their nature ALL flawed or they aren't. It's not a pick and mix based on end result ...

Regardless of that, what will be interesting to see (more than a test between S8 and other devices) would be a test between the snapdragon and the exynos variants.

Last year's S7/7e comparisons showed the exynos variants were far better at things like ram management, throttling and battery life overall. It would be interesting to see if the 835 has closed that gap between the two, or if even with Samsung reportedly having closer ties to the development of the 835, the exynos is still the more optimised processor when it comes to Samsung's TW.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
How can there be a right way ? Surely either these tests are all flawed or they aren't. It's not a pick and mix based on end result ...

Regardless, what will be interesting would be more of a test between the snapdragon and the exynos variants as last year's S7/7e showed the exynos variants were far better at things like ram management, throttling and battery life overall. It would be interesting to see if the 835 has closed that gap between the two, or if the exynos is still the more optimised processor when it comes to Samsung's TW.

If the Chinese variants have 6 gb ram I wonder why then.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If the Chinese variants have 6 gb ram I wonder why then.
Domestic expectations. When every cheaper manufacturer of devices on their 'premium' models such as UMI DIGI are sticking 6gb into devices costing $200, Samsung would have a hard time asking closer to $800 for a device with less.

Even Xiaomi's head CEO went on record to say that no smartphone in his opinion right now actually needs 6gb, it merely needs to be better optimised and throwing more ram isn't the solution.

But that doesn't change consumers expectations where they have grown accustomed to the assumption of 'more' being automatically better.

And as I say when customers in a market are so used to paying less for what they perceive as more and better, then Samsung likely felt the need to play along regardless. Especially given their premium price point in that market.

Reactions: tbayrgs

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
How can there be a right way ? Surely either these tests are all flawed or they aren't. It's not a pick and mix based on end result ...

It's the right way cause he based it on a per app basis. And even though that's still inconsistent, it at least gives a loose idea of which apps load quicker on which device.

The way everyone else does it ....... is they switch to they next app right after loading going through a ton of apps at once and then judge the winner by the fastest time at the last app loaded. That's totally 100% ridiculous. Not only would a game like Subway Surfers(which is obviously known to load faster on the iPhone) always give the iPhone a huge advantage, but it sets a false narrative that the iPhone runs through every single app faster.

I personally don't care about those kind of test, but if you're going to attempt it, do it with with some sense. It urks me badly the way most vloggers do it. And least this guy wasn't moronic with his test.

Regardless, what will be interesting would be more of a test between the snapdragon and the exynos variants as last year's S7/7e showed the exynos variants were far better at things like ram management, throttling and battery life overall. It would be interesting to see if the 835 has closed that gap between the two, or if the exynos is still the more optimised processor when it comes to Samsung's TW.

I think most (if not all) the reviews are on the exynos versions.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I personally don't care about those kind of test, but if you're going to attempt it, do it with with some sense. It urks me badly the way most vloggers do it. And least this guy wasn't moronic with his tetst.

I think most (if not all) the reviews are on the exynos versions.

Xeetechcare vlogger is very flawed himself. He judges devices speeds for example based on how quick a device boots up or powers down/turns off for a start, and often in his 'reviews' (posted merely to be fastest and therefore gain quicker YouTube views), he will get specs wrong and flat out give wrong information / missinformation about the product. I stopped watching and unsubscribed a while ago due to the sheer moronic assenations he was making based on his likewise ultimately flawed testing.

-----

Regarding the exynos, yeah it's interesting to see benchmarking and battery tests are likewise at the moment based on the exynos variant too. Where are the 835's results ? Hopefully we're not reading too much into the silence for those who are in countries where the 835 is the default.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Well finally got to fondle one in person and I have mixed feelings. Firstly let me say it's an incredible work of art. It just feels sleek like NO other phone I've ever felt. It really feels like a single piece of glass and I had to struggle for my fingernail to find the seams between the glass and the frame. I was ashamed to put my ip7+ next to it, my god the ip7+ looks like something Alexander Graham Bell invented, seriously.

With that said, I am actually turned off by the form factor. Firstly I've never been a big fan of the curved screens. To me you lose that area of the screen functionally. The S8/+ seems like the screen curve is pretty minimal, but still present. But the worse thing to me is that screen ratio, it's way too tall and narrow. I feel as if Samsung cheated in stating their screen size. Heck I could say I have a 10" screen measured diagonally, but it's really something like 30:4 (no the math isn't correct). Don't get me wrong, the screen was absolutely incredible, but I just felt that functionally I was losing something between the wrong screen ratio and the curved edges. To contrast there was a Mate 9 within arms reach and that screen seemed huge compared to the S8+, just because it was flat and had a more palatable screen ratio, and specs show it's .3 smaller than the s8+. I think I'm going to really like the LG G6 because it is flat, although the screen ratio isn't much better than the S8/+, just a bit, but enough to be more functional.

My long term hope is that they do NOT keep that screen ratio for the Note 8. I hope the Note 8 is more of a true phablet. I'm willing to accept the curved screen, as I don't think Samsung is ever going back. But I really hope it has closer to a 16:9 ratio. It's like those new computer monitors which are very long and narrow, I hate them with a passion.

But still a beautiful phone, and I'm still considering it on some level. But I may wait and see what the Note 8 brings, how the G6 feels/looks in person and of course the ip8. My only concern with the ip8 is stepping down in screen size from the ip7+, although I'd opine the ip8 will have more of a "true" screen ratio even though it's smaller, so functionally it may be equal or better than at least the smaller S8. Still, I think Apple is a bit stupid for not releasing an ip8 plus, and am still very hesitant if the function bar is a good or bad thing.

Oh I'm also still miffed at the idiotic fp sensor placement. It's a lot easier to reach than I thought it would be, but I have large hands. But I still find it a very suboptimal position. I also really miss the hardware home button. It was a pain to hard press/long touch to get the home button to work. I hope Apple does a better job with it, so far the faux home button on the ip7+ was far more functional IMO. I think a better solution would be to make a side button the home button, maybe the Bixby button can be hacked for that.

Edit: Kind of not related, but wow the Gear S3 frontier is a seriously good looking watch. It's a shame it is saddled with Tizen though. Sigh, makes me realize why I hesitate to buy Samsung.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Regarding the exynos, yeah it's interesting to see benchmarking and battery tests are likewise at the moment based on the exynos variant too. Where are the 835's results ? Hopefully we're not reading too much into the silence for those who are in countries where the 835 is the default.

I don't think it's silence, I think Samsung didn't give out the 835 models to vloggers. There's plenty of US based vloggers that claim they have a pre-release exynos S8. I guess we have to wait until the pre-orders start arriving to see comparisons.

Reactions: MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well finally got to fondle one in person and I have mixed feelings. Firstly let me say it's an incredible work of art. It just feels sleek like NO other phone I've ever felt. It really feels like a single piece of glass and I had to struggle for my fingernail to find the seams between the glass and the frame. I was ashamed to put my ip7+ next to it, my god the ip7+ looks like something Alexander Graham Bell invented, seriously.

With that said, I am actually turned off by the form factor. Firstly I've never been a big fan of the curved screens. To me you lose that area of the screen functionally. The S8/+ seems like the screen curve is pretty minimal, but still present. But the worse thing to me is that screen ratio, it's way too tall and narrow. I feel as if Samsung cheated in stating their screen size. Heck I could say I have a 10" screen measured diagonally, but it's really something like 30:4 (no the math isn't correct). Don't get me wrong, the screen was absolutely incredible, but I just felt that functionally I was losing something between the wrong screen ratio and the curved edges. To contrast there was a Mate 9 within arms reach and that screen seemed huge compared to the S8+, just because it was flat and had a more palatable screen ratio, and specs show it's .3 smaller than the s8+. I think I'm going to really like the LG G6 because it is flat, although the screen ratio isn't much better than the S8/+, just a bit, but enough to be more functional.

My long term hope is that they do NOT keep that screen ratio for the Note 8. I hope the Note 8 is more of a true phablet. I'm willing to accept the curved screen, as I don't think Samsung is ever going back. But I really hope it has closer to a 16:9 ratio. It's like those new computer monitors which are very long and narrow, I hate them with a passion.

But still a beautiful phone, and I'm still considering it on some level. But I may wait and see what the Note 8 brings, how the G6 feels/looks in person and of course the ip8. My only concern with the ip8 is stepping down in screen size from the ip7+, although I'd opine the ip8 will have more of a "true" screen ratio even though it's smaller, so functionally it may be equal or better than at least the smaller S8. Still, I think Apple is a bit stupid for not releasing an ip8 plus, and am still very hesitant if the function bar is a good or bad thing.

Oh I'm also still miffed at the idiotic fp sensor placement. It's a lot easier to reach than I thought it would be, but I have large hands. But I still find it a very suboptimal position. I also really miss the hardware home button. It was a pain to hard press/long touch to get the home button to work. I hope Apple does a better job with it, so far the faux home button on the ip7+ was far more functional IMO. I think a better solution would be to make a side button the home button, maybe the Bixby button can be hacked for that.

Edit: Kind of not related, but wow the Gear S3 frontier is a seriously good looking watch. It's a shame it is saddled with Tizen though. Sigh, makes me realize why I hesitate to buy Samsung.
I think it it too narrow also. That is why I went with the S8+ and I would really rather have a flat display model but oh well. It still is an awesome device so far. I had the G6 for a while and it is just as narrow as the G8 except ti has a flat display. I liked the G6 except for the camera issues I had with it.
I don't think Samsung with release another flat screen phone for the Galaxy S and Note lines. I could be wrong but they have had great success and customer feedback for them. I think that is the path going forward until foldable display phones in 2018? The FPS location is just beyond me tbh.....i guess like anything else people will get used to it after a while and it will become habit like anything else. I never thought I would get sued to FPS on the back when I first used it a couple years ago and now I love the one on the Pixel XL.
I think the G6 should be in stores on the 7th so you won't have long to wait :)

Reactions: spinedoc77 and MRU

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I disagree that the GS8 is too narrow. The little time I spent with it it was pretty good. Currently, I have a Note 5 and it's a lot wider. However, the GS8 is a lot of screen on such a small phone and compares favorably to the Note 5. I could be wrong, but I think that I'm going to really like the GS8. At work, I carry my phone throughout (we have a warehouse attached) and the smaller phone will be nice (ironically, I'm hoping for a larger Note 8 than the GS8+).

Reactions: MRU

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
All that but I like for my kid to be able to facetime me without jumping through hoops! Ease of use definitely has a lot to do with it. Example guy in office had Samsung phone was always asking how do I do this and that, not to mention it would get really hot and the battery die. Last upgrade switch to iPhone haven't had a single question, honestly not one.
Whilst it's undeniable that Apple do make using some built in apps easy (with the exception of ITunes IMO) I find it hard to believe any youngster can't run rings around most of us when it comes to fiddling with any app. We have all seen parents give their phones over to their children to put something right :D

I can also understand in certain countries where IPhone are more prevalent (USA) that it's easy to have a group of friends or family that all have IPhone and use FaceTime but it simply breaks down once somebody is outside the group. I always find it odd that consumers would limit their choices just for such trivial options IMO given the overall complexity, potential and expense of these phones

Go to other countries where FaceTime is banned and not even bundled on your IPhone or other countries where people simply have much lower budgets and no data packages and you will see why other apps like Line or WhatsApp are so popular in Asia and elsewhere with FaceTime your likely to have few friends to chat with :)

Reactions: Demo Kit

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

I think if you were to wait for the note 8 the fingerprint scanner will be in the screen. It would have been in the S8 had it not been for lack of time to get it sorted.

Reactions: spinedoc77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.